Start by marking “Summer (Beginner Books)” as Want to Read:
Summer (Beginner Books)

Summer (Beginner Books)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  315 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Better than fireworks, this classic Beginner Book edited by Dr. Seuss celebrates all the wonderful things that come with summer! From trips to the beach and eating watermelon to fireworks and fishing, Alice Low and Roy McKie’s Summer will have young readers eager for the kind of fun only warm breezes and sunny weather can bring.

Originally created by Dr. Seuss, Beginner Bo
Published May 22nd 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer

Liane Marie
Oct 07, 2014 Liane Marie rated it really liked it

Category: Hardcover

Age: 1-6+ years

Synopsis: “Summer” sweetly describes all the fun ways to enjoy summer. This book features adorable drawings by the illustrator of “Snow,” which was previously reviewed on this blog.

Bilingual benefit: “Summer” is a part of the Dr. Seuss Beginner Book series intended for new readers. As a new reader book, the simple language rhymes well and has a sing-song rhythm. For those familiar with Israel, the illustrations may remind you of life on a kibbutz. For Americans
Bethany Erickson
May 22, 2013 Bethany Erickson rated it really liked it
My kindergartners found the pictures of the dog "pup" to be hysterical. I think they enjoyed that more than anything else in the story.
Amanda
Jul 09, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Perfect for this time of year. Love their little dog.
Pam
May 25, 2014 Pam rated it it was ok
This book kind of annoys me. The text has facile rhymes that don't engage, and it's much to long. Also, I don't like the illustrations,not my kind of artwork. The kids do like it, though, so I gave it 2 stars instead of 1. Definitely wouldn't read it if it weren't for the reading every kids book project.
Rene
Jun 03, 2014 Rene rated it really liked it
Shelves: rubyj
We have the 1963 edition from my childhood that my grandmother read to my sister and I. My six year old really liked it, it was an easy read aloud (probably a level 2, for length). The pictures and the rhyme scheme are engaging, but the dog, of course, wins the prize :)

Summer
May 30, 2014 Summer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I LOVE the illustrations in this book, and the story just makes me happy. It brings back fond memories of magical childhood summers. I'm so glad to be able to now witness the joy that summer brings through the eyes of my son. I love reading this book to him.
Sophie
May 09, 2016 Sophie added it
Mommy and Daddy started reading this book to me recently, and it gave us an idea to go on a family picnic yesterday.
jacky
Aug 26, 2014 jacky rated it it was ok
Shelves: lib-lew, early-reader
One of those early readers that are quite long but don't really say all that much.
Mandas
Jul 26, 2014 Mandas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up reading this book and now I am reading it to my 2 year old daughter. We LOVE it! It's filled with wonderful things about summer! We have a board book addition also.
Madkropotkin
Nov 16, 2010 Madkropotkin rated it it was amazing
My son read this book to us tonight. I really liked this book, I am a Summer baby after all. My son was pointing out somethings we do during the summer time and we all laughed. This is a good little book that is well written and excellently illustrated that brings joy to all of the family.
ABC
Jun 24, 2010 ABC rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
I thought for sure this was written by P.D. Eastman, but it is actually by Alice Low. It is a nice go-along with "Snow" and is actually better than "Snow" in my opinion. My son didn't know what croquet was, and so learned a new word from this book!
Deborah Harris
Dec 24, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-2, a19
AR Quiz No. 130133 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV
Larisa R
Jul 25, 2016 Larisa R rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My children enjoyed the rimes
Alida
Dec 03, 2007 Alida rated it liked it
Recommends it for: k-1
Another great beginners book. It deals with everything that comes with summer. Cute illustrations. I would use it for beginners or low readers to read for fun.
Tara Carpenter
Feb 23, 2011 Tara Carpenter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
One of my favorites from childhood. A few years ago I started reading it to my kids, and last year my oldest started reading it to his brothers without me!
Literacy Group
Sep 18, 2013 Literacy Group rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: K-2
This picture book describes all the fun things to do in the summer such as watching fireworks, fishing, swimming, and going to a fair.
Lisa Mcbroom
Aug 22, 2013 Lisa Mcbroom rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story of childhood summer in which everything was innocent. I remember doing many things this boy and girl did.
Jasmine
Apr 02, 2013 Jasmine rated it it was ok
Good book for learning words that rhyme and for Word recognition as some of the words are repeated over again.
Kapra McMichael
-A book about the activities of summer
-A good book for the end of the school year
Lisa
Dec 18, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Of course we had to have this book since we have the "Snow" book by P.D. Eastman.
Marilyn
Oct 01, 2010 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I LOVE Summer for all of these reasons. Great illustrations and fun rhyming verse.
Jenny
May 30, 2008 Jenny marked it as to-read
Shelves: picture-books
Cute illustrations. It reminds me of all the things I love about summer!
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it it was ok
Shelves: review
a story about a childs summer and their activites and ideals
Mommalovesbaby
Nov 08, 2009 Mommalovesbaby rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Fun rhyming book to read. Reminded me slightly of Dr. Seuss books.
Netanella
Oct 22, 2009 Netanella rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute, rhyming book about the childhood joys of summer.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Marilyn Bennett
Marilyn Bennett rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Ann Su
Ann Su added it
Aug 19, 2016
Doli Cheney
Doli Cheney rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Heather Johnson
Heather Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Berenstains' A Book (Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners)
  • Snow (Beginner Books B-27)
  • Stop that Ball!
  • Tracks in the Snow
  • Clifford's First Easter
  • Glasses for D.W. (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Fred and Ted Go Camping
  • Spot's First Walk (color)
  • Richard Scarry's Best Rainy Day Book Ever
  • Sunflower House
  • The Reason for a Flower
  • When Winter Comes
  • Is a Camel a Mammal?
  • Snowy Day (Curious George)
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff