Start by marking “Criminal Intent (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Criminal Intent (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #3)

Criminal Intent (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery #3)

You can pick your friends, they say, but you can't pick your family. And lately, Mike Daley's family has been keeping him very busy. An ex-priest, ex-public defender, and ex-corporate lawyer, Daley and his former wife, Rosie Fernandez, now run their own San Francisco criminal defense firm. Most of their cases are fairly small-time, which is why it would be surprising that ...more
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Criminal Intent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Criminal Intent

Malcolm
Feb 11, 2016 Malcolm rated it it was ok
This series is going downhill. I thought Special Circumstances was one of the best legal thrillers I'd ever read, and certainly the best one I'd read in years. Unfortunately, the second book was nowhere near as good and now we have Criminal Intent which is quite possibly the worst legal thriller I've read.

It started off with a decent premise, and the writing was strong throughout, though it could have been tightened up in a couple of places. The sense of mystery as to who really killed the victi
June Ahern
Mar 19, 2011 June Ahern rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first read of Sheldon Siegel’s murder mysteries and probably not my last. I’m as close to a native of San Francisco as one can be without being born there. There’ve been other novels that I’ve read that take place in San Francisco and besides my own novel, “The Skye in June”, Siegel does an excellent job of moving around the city and Bay Area. Mike Daley and Rosie Fernandez. Daley and Fernandez are law partners and former spouses who get along better as colleagues than they do as husband and ...more
Alan Zabel
Jul 17, 2015 Alan Zabel rated it liked it
"Criminal Intent" is #3 in Sheldon Siegel's Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez legal thriller series. I liked the first two very much. This one, I liked, but not quite as much. The reason is that I was expecting plenty of courtroom maneuvering and drama. I was disappointed that there was very little of that in this book, in contrast to the previous books. The case was interesting, but the story was played out mostly in the investigation. A good story worthy of page turning, but not so much in the ...more
deryl taylor
Apr 11, 2014 deryl taylor rated it it was amazing
Ingenious

Siegel is an ingenious storyteller able capitalize on intrigue and suspense. The Daley and Fernandez are competent lawyers who you can't help but root for. You hope and wish that they work out their personal relationship because they seem to be so good together. The curiosity of the ending of "who done it" comes as a sad surprise because of the effect on the lawyers. Siegel hit another home run in the Daley and Fernandez series. I give it 5 stars. A must read. I can't wait to read the n
Nancy
Aug 18, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy 3 stars; Ron 3 stars
Akeating2003
Oct 09, 2016 Akeating2003 rated it it was ok
I normally enjoy this series but this book in particular seemed to reusing entered paragraphs from some of the other books. And it repeated things. A lot. I spent most of the book thinking that I had already read it.
Jim
Feb 09, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
"Criminal Intent" is the third book in the Daley/Fernandez series by author Sheldon Siegel. Mike Daley and ex-wife and now law partner, Rosie Fernandez have their toughest case yet. Angelina Chavez MacArthur third wife to Richard "Big Dick" MacArthur and Rosie's niece has been arrested for murder. The SFPD is accusing Angel of killing her husband. Big Dick had been hit over the head with a blunt object and fell through his balcony to beach below dead. MacArthur is a big time Hollywood director ...more
Marilyn Lawrence
Sep 21, 2016 Marilyn Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Review of. "Criminal Intent"

Another great, fast moving read. Surprise endings are always a winner and although the ending was a surprise it ended as I was hoping it would.
LJ
CRIMINAL INTENT (Legal Mystery-San Francisco-Cont.) – G+
Sheldon Siegel – 3rd in series
Putnam, 2002 – Hardcover
San Francisco attorneys Mike Daley and Rosie Fernandez are partners in a law firm and ex-partners in marriage. When they take on the case of Rosie’s niece, actress Angel, who is accused of murdering her movie director husband, they discover there’s more involved than the silver screen.
*** One thing I like, and which makes Siegel’s books stand out for the normal legal thriller, is now lit
Thomas
Oct 08, 2015 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Thomas by: a friend
Shelves: us-legal
Another enjoyable legal murder mystery from Sheldon Siegel. Mike Daley and his partner/ex wife Rosie Fernandez are called on to defend her niece Angel Chavez, charged with murdering Angel's much older husband, "Big Dick" MacArthur. She was found passed out in a car near the Golden Gate bridge. There was a bag of cocaine on the front seat and an Oscar statuette with blood on it in the trunk.
There are a lot of twists and turns in the plot and not until the end did I figure out who the killer was.

I
Rechan
Feb 28, 2013 Rechan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: courtroom-drama
If you're looking for a gripping legal thriller that feels like a game of wits, where the attorney main character breaks the antagonist on the stand, gets to the heart of the matter, and we wait for the verdict, then Look Elsewhere.

This book is a waste of your time.

No, really - much of this book is rehashing the same facts and arguments multiple times. It involves scenes where nothing is learned or accomplished. Even worse, the characters never even make it to a courtroom. Half of the book is sp
Marva
Jan 22, 2008 Marva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the author
Contains some paragraphs which read like long nails scraping across a blackboard. One para contained no less than EIGHT 'She's. I used it as an example of how a multi-book published author can get away with grammatical murder.

On the upside, the plot was reasonably good. It's a whodunnit, so I had to find out whodidit and I never turn to the last page of a book.

So, the book was okay, but I'm glad I checked it out of the library and didn't shell out good money for it.

I don't think I'll bother to
Bob
Dec 30, 2014 Bob rated it liked it
Mike Daley was a Priest and now a lawyer in a small practice with his ex-wife in San Francisco. They are hired by a relative, a young actress who has been arrested and charged with the murder of her much older Hollywood film director and producer. The case involves family, politics, big business and under the table dealing. The prosecution seems to have all it needs to bring the case to trial and get a conviction while 3 other possible suspects end up dead. Plenty of twists and suspects in this ...more
Ken Bour
Sep 21, 2015 Ken Bour rated it really liked it
Shelves: prime-lenders
I have become a fan of Sheldon Siegel's writing style and enjoyed this third mystery in the Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez series. Even though Mike and Rosie are attorneys, there is not much legal defense work pursued in the resolution of the crime; in fact, without giving away the ending, it ends up rather untidy. This story did not capture and sustain my interest as intensely as the previous two mysteries, but I still thought it deserving of 4 stars overall.
Ron
Jan 21, 2015 Ron rated it liked it
Mike Daley and Rosie Fernandez work to build their struggling law firm while taking on the murder defense case of a close family member. Rosie's niece is accused of the murder of her prominent movie director husband and Mike and Rosie's legal defense leads to uncovering a major scandal involving several San Francisco politicians and businessmen. A good story with lots of legal maneuvering and courtroom battles.
Deb Mj
Jul 27, 2011 Deb Mj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't find this third offering in the Michael Daly series to be nearly as interesting as the first two. I still enjoy the relationship between Mike and his ex-wife Rosie, but the plot was pretty boring. I would imagine that someone with knowledge of the San Francisco area would really get a kick out of this series (as I do with books set in Philadelphia), but for those of us without that, there are just a few too many geographical references. Still, I'll continue to read this series.
Marilyn
Feb 27, 2014 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Another great Mike Daley / Rosie Fernandez mystery. This one, however involves family. It becomes sticky / tricky, and involves the heart. Rosie's niece finds herself in jail after being accused of murder, while at the same time her uncle Tony has been bribed and threatened. Finding the facts remains Mike and Rosie's primary and only goal, even tho it may lead to some consequences that no one wants to face.
Mhd
I read the first 1/3 and the last 4 chapters. It was just going too slowly for me. The detailed dialogue is well written but sometimes it's just too much. I think if I hadn't been reading this series in fairly quick succession that my reaction might have been better. I'm surprised that the passage of time for the characters jumped right over their law school foray. I don't know if I'll read any more of these, but I'll at least take a break before jumping in again.
Barbara Nutting
Sep 25, 2015 Barbara Nutting rated it liked it
At least this Book 3 wasn't a clone of the first two!! If it wasn't taking place in San Francisco I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. Many years ago I lived in the Richmond (19th between Geary and Clement) so it was fun to be familiar with all the areas around the Golden Gate Bridge. Plot okay - ending meh!!
Dave
Jul 12, 2015 Dave rated it liked it
Now finished book three of a four-book set, and I am finding it is getting quite tiresome. The principal characters are likable enough, but I am finding these stories dull and repetitive. Certainly not a thriller and no clever courtroom maneuvering. Life is too short to keep reading just because I have the book on my e-reader! Time to move on!
Lynn Pike
May 29, 2015 Lynn Pike rated it really liked it
Good characters

A well written legal thriller.
This is my second book in this series that I have read.
Both have been fast reads.Good character development.
You like the characters.
The tongue in cheek humour is great.
If you 'll I've this kind of subject then this series could've what you have been looking for.
Sheri Gulde
Sep 23, 2013 Sheri Gulde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just discovered this author on our library's neglected shelf recommendations. This mystery is humorous and the characters are well built. You are pulling for Rosie and Mike. They have a lot of history but truly care for the well being of each other and their daughter. I will be reading more of his books.
John Haake
Apr 18, 2016 John Haake rated it liked it
If you are looking for fast-paced courtroom drama -- this book isn't it.

As a book in a sequence in a long series -- it is pretty good. On its own, it really wouldn't be good at all.

I like the protagonist and his cohorts in this series of books (so far). This book wasn't as good as the earlier books (and one of the final books in the series).

Beverly Mccollum
Jul 11, 2015 Beverly Mccollum rated it really liked it
This is the third installment in this legal/thriller series and it's one of the best to date. The two main characters are still practicing law together and navigating lives as committed ex-spouses. This book concentrates less on a trial and more on the investigation of the murder. Fast -paced and interesting. I'd recommend it.
Jack Noe
Jul 17, 2016 Jack Noe rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the Mike Daley/Rosita Fernandez. While I liked this book there was not as much courtroom drama as the first two books in the series. The Kindle version I read had a few typos that were distracting. I am hoping the next books in the series get back to more courtroom and criminal storylines. This is a good author.
Julie
A pleasant enough read but not what I'd describe as thrilling or gripping. I do like the voice and style of the storyteller and would probably read more of these if my local e-library had them (but they don't).
Beth
Jul 03, 2015 Beth rated it it was amazing
The romantically linked couple who are also law partners (they have a history but aren't a couple at this time). Lots of San Francisco atmosphere and a crime that gets solved involving family members. Book 3 in the series.
Pen
Aug 29, 2016 Pen rated it liked it
This is the 3rd in the series and the 4th I've read. As with the others, the storyline was good and I enjoy the characters. However, there were more than a dozen spelling and grammar errors so I am giving the book 3 stars rather than 4.
Jessica
Jan 30, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
I am sooooo not a critic, I like just about every book I read. But this book has NO reviews so I feel obligated to write something. Although this book was lenghthy to me (1025 pages) it kept my intrest the entire time. The murder mystery kept me guessing and the characters were entertaining.
Charles Robinson
Dec 10, 2015 Charles Robinson rated it it was amazing
Nice

Like I said before I don't normally give out five star ratings to fictional reads but sometimes you just come across a book that well deserved it. This series is getting better as it go along. Well recommended read for anyone into thriller, legal dramas.
  • No Time To Die
  • By Reason of Insanity (David Brunelle Legal Thriller Series Book 3)
  • Blueprint for a Kiss (Take a Chance, #3)
  • Enemy in Blue: The Trial (The Cruz Marquez Thrillers - Book 2)
  • Uncovering Secrets
  • Traveling Blind
  • Line Of Vision
  • Lies to Die for (Max Larkin)
  • A World of Trouble (Jack Shepherd #3)
  • Crime de Cocoa (A Chocoholic Mystery #1-3)
  • The Kingmaker (Sean Drummond, #3)
  • The Temptation of Sean MacNeill (Sweet Home, Carolina, #4; MacNeill Brothers, #3)
  • The Advocate's Dilemma (The Advocate #4)
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • The Debt Collector (Sonora Blair, Book 4)
  • Angel of Darkness (Angel of Darkness, #1)
  • Dangerous Behavior
  • The Braque Connection (Genevieve Lenard, #3)
Sheldon Siegel (born July 14, 1958) is an American novelist and author best known for his works of modern legal drama.

Siegel was born on the south side of Chicago, Illinois. He attended New Trier High School in Winnetka, Illinois, and later went on to attend the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as an Accounting major. He graduated with a Juris Doctor from Boalt Hall at the University of
More about Sheldon Siegel...

Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery (7 books)
  • Special Circumstances (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #1)
  • Incriminating Evidence (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #2)
  • Final Verdict (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #4)
  • The Confession  (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #5)
  • Judgment Day (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #6)
  • Perfect Alibi (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #7)

“have” 0 likes