Start by marking “Call of the Wolf” as Want to Read:
Call of the Wolf

Call of the Wolf (Wolfen #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  670 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Abigail Winthrope was having a hard enough time adjusting to her new identity without the complication of discovering she’d landed next door to a pack of men that looked like they’d gathered for a male model convention. She couldn’t afford to become involved with any of the locals—be they ever so attractive—and, considering her last disastrous relationship, she really wasn ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by New Concepts Publishing (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Call of the Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call of the Wolf

Emily
Abigail Winthorpe is furious with her current predicament, she has had to change her name, job, relocated thanks to the witness protection program. Scared and feeling incredibly vulnerable, the first person she meets in the new town happens to be cop Seth Banner. Unwilling to trust her instincts about being able to trust him, after all she has been burned before, she finds herself conflicted by the other three neighbors Cameron Fontaine, Adrian Pauslon, and Jerico Collins who equally have made h ...more
mlady_rebecca
Abby is the new school teacher in a small town in the middle of nowhere. She's here becasue she's in the Federal witness protection program for having the bad taste to date a member of the Russian mob. Just three dates. How was she to know?

What she doesn't know is she moved into a town of Wolfen and Werewolves, and she had the bad timing of arriving just before their annual Harvest Moon festival, when wolves from all over gather to look for mates. And she's on the radar of four different alphas
Deborah
This is the second book I've read by this author the first being Wolf (Of Unknown Origins) which I enjoyed, unfortunately this book was way too similar and for me way too long, I found I myself getting bored and skimming parts, this was probably due to the fact that it was obviously heading in the same direction, maybe I've been unlucky and it's just these two books that are so alike, in which case if you've not read Wolf you might enjoy this more than I did.
Abby was also annoying especially ear
Ladymcbeth
Really good book, I especially enjoy the fact we can have some scenes with werewolf in half shift.

Negative point : not enough sex
Bookie | The BookChick
Ok maybe it's just me and I didn't read the same story as the 4 and 5 star reviewers but I DID NOT like this story.

I'm sorry but my inner feminist didn't particularly care at all for this book. The gang bang scene(so named by the author) was really a gang rape scene and it totally disgusted me. It should have been edited out! The woman had just survived an assassination attempt and the four men (Seth, Cameron, Jerico, and Adrian) were basically trying to one up each other so when one "finished"
ARe Cafe
Abigail Winthrope is in the witness protection program. She is being settled in a small hick town and will become a schoolteacher to small children. Abby is used to expensive business suits and power lunches, not lunches in the cafeteria.

Sheriff Seth Banner lives next door in a bed and breakfast. He is a Wolfen and an Alpha male. Seth was in Special Forces with three other friends before he became a sheriff in town.

Cameron Fontaine is also a Wolfen and an Alpha male of his own pack. He is Cajun
Kelly
Apparently this doesn't follow Hunger of the Wolf by rather Wolfen (which is next on my to-read list). That, right there, is exactly why the Kindle books should label what part of a series the books are (you know, blah blah blah #1 or blah blah #2). Leaving me to my own devices never works out well. The mythology on this book is laid out so much better than Hunger of the Wolf, which makes sense since Wolfen would have laid the groundwork for this series. Anyway.

Moving to a new town is always tou
Carolyn F.
3-1/2 stars.

Slightly better than the first book in the series. I didn't know the author could make a gang bang read as semi-appealing. Well, not semi-appealing really, more as not horrific. The romance between Abby (they still call her that even though they know her real name which takes me on a tangent of whether she'll go back to her real name now that everything has calmed down) and Seth was okay because I could not for the life of me find out what was so compelling that all four guys couldn'
Dr. Bronwyn Ph.D of Smutology
I love shifter stories but this didn't quite hit the spot for me. The relationship between Abby and the guys just seemed so haphazard. None of the 'wolfen' rules were really explained to Abby. Plus only 2 of the guys seemed to have a true connection with her. Adrian and Jerico seemed kind of superfluous to the story. Most ménage fictions I read the relationships are more equal and far more developed.

Plus she was in hiding and Abby was her assumed name. Surely Abby once her situation was discover
Jacqueline
Decent story. The way the menage was written was fairly typical for this author although it might have gone a little to far. I was warned though so I wasn't terribly concerned about it. There were some interesting scenes but I felt like the story went by in a big rush. I also had problems with the extra 3 alphas giving up their territories to come and be lieutenants to the main guy. At least here though unlike in Wolfen, the guys had been in the army together and were accustomed to being this gu ...more
Beverly Richards
For a while I had put my mind off of reading series because I normally find that those that follow the first one never measure up. But after I came across this author and I read the first in the series and it was great I decided well this one sound like it had potential so I decided why not read the other one in the series. After all all authors are different but not so different after all. I found this one to be lukewarm. I think it lack passion and emotion. It was like I was just reading words ...more
Jessica Weissenburger
I can't say that I really cared for the "hiding from the mob" bit and I was even more disappointed that Abby wasn't the least bit put off by the fact that her guys kill people.

But I was extremely into this book, in spite of the problems I had with the plot. I really loved the heroes and found it incredibly hard to put down. The writing was a vast improvement from her earlier works and I really think that this series keeps getting better and better.

I enjoyed every aspect beyond Abby's background
Cheesecake
4 men to one gal is really kinda ridiculous. But I like the author's writing style and her stories are unusual and rarely predictable. I find her characters individually interesting and the plots are often character driven rather than the characters forced to follow a tired old formula.
So while I don't know if I would tell my mother that Kaitlyn O'Connor/ Madelaine Montague is one of my favourite authors.... she actually is. I do kinda feel like the men are a bit short changed having to share on
SheLove2Read
I wanted to like this book much more than I did. The editing was horrible. (The heroine couldn't bare instead of bear, what was about to happen is just an example) The writing itself was ok but the storyline was a major eye roller for me. I won't give away the why's because its part of the plot. Honestly the only reason I kept reading was to see who she ended up with and after "the reveal", I feel cheated.

C-
Jill
What a surprise! I didn't expext to get so "in" to this book. I loved the characters Seth and cameron the most. It was very enjoyable lots and lots of lovin going on in this book. If multiple partners and alpha male attitude doesn't float your boat then you won't like this book. For me it does more then float my boat, loved it. Will definitely try more of madelaine Montague books in the future.
Brittany
So i did enjoy this book more than the first. Looking back at the first book I did not like that the main guys never seemed to get along. However, in this book while there is some fighting among the guys they seems to get a lot better than the first group. I think that played a huge role in me loving this book. It was a great story and a fun read.
Caressa Brandenburg
I believe the author is honing her craft in this one. whereas previous books had some very lengthy internal dialogues this book had is paired down considerably. she also upped the action and the actual dialogue between characters.
this particular story was quite original with lots of bit players, action, an actual plot and story and of course sex.
This is a follow-up to Wolfen... but you don't NEED to read the other book to enjoy this one. There is only a line or two that even references the previous book.
Ashley Kannenberg
wow and i mean WOW i loved this book loved how it ended loved how it progressed the only thing i could say is i want more PLEASE more seth more cameron more adrian more jericho and more abby i want and i need it
Andrea
Pretty good book. I wanted something easy to read with light enjoyment and not part of a series that I had to keep track of. This book fulfulled that. I also liked how it went between differen character point of views.
Kelly
This book was not very well written, which made is hard to get to the end. From the story line it could have been much better.
Yona
This book was a bit long and slow and it wasn't what I expected it, but it wasn't too bad either.
Starapple
Hardly any sex, and when it happened it was over in a flash and not sensual at all.
Anna
Great paranormal romance...if you're into werewolves..this is a one to read
Katelyn Bishop
Very enjoyable until the end when the author just ended the story randomly!!!
  • Cyborg Nation (Cyberevolution, #6)
  • Were She Belongs (Were Trilogy, #1)
  • Laurie's Loves (Beckett's Wolf Pack, Triad Mates #1)
  • Namesake (Voiders, #1)
  • Battered Not Broken
  • Maggie's Mates
  • At One's Pleasure
  • Alien Rule (Clans of Kalquor, #2)
  • Oriana and the Three Werebears
  • Two Wolves are Better Than One (Love Bites, #1)
  • Shifters' Captive (Magical Ménages, #1)
  • Keira's Wolf Saviors (Pack Law #2)
  • Edwina and the Seven Snowed-in Scientists
  • When a Pack Dies (Wyoming Wild #1)
  • Leader of the Pack
  • Scared of Spiders
Wolfen (Wolfen, #1) Hunger of the Wolf (Wolfen, #3) Wolf Darkling Seas Feline Heat