The Breaking (Eternal Dungeon, #1.1)

The Breaking (Eternal Dungeon #1.1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Elsdon Taylor, a prisoner accused of committing a terrible murder. Layle Smith, a torturer with a terrible past. Their meeting in the Eternal Dungeon appears certain to bring out the worst in both men.

The prisoner knew that the Eternal Dungeon was a place where suspected criminals were broken by torture, and he was prepared to hold out against any methods used against him...more
Published June 13th 2012 by Love in Dark Settings Press (first published April 14th 2010)

Dreamer
Free on Smashwords as of 23 March 2013

Intriguing first instalment of 'The Eternal Dungeon'. Well-written short story describing suspected murderer Elsdon Taylor's 'searching' in the Eternal Dungeon by the perceptive High Seeker Layle Smith.
description
'"That's why this is called the Eternal Dungeon? Because you help prisoners to continue in eternal rebirth?"
The guard nodded without speaking.
Elsdon said, "I thought - I'd thought it was named that because no one who is imprisoned here ever leaves here."'
Dee Wy
Not quite what I was expecting, though the setting is as dark and mysterious as I'd hoped. But no torture or romance is this 90-page, stand-alone story. It was interesting though, and this set up has me thinking I want to read more. This one is free on Amazon.
Devon
The Breaking was far more intriguing to me as an introduction to the author's world than as a romance, which I think served the short story better in the long run. Though the characters were rather formulaic, the world-building—especially all the detail given about the Eternal Dungeon, and hints about the world abroad—are incredibly interesting. In fact, it's a very interesting take on "barbarous" system of interrogation, rooted in psychology, in a way that makes a sort of sense. I also apprecia...more
Yingtai
This is a really powerful short story. I know it sounds like a BDSM fantasy cliché - terrified prisoner interrogated by grim torturer. But the prisoner is surprised, the torturer is surprised, and you will be too by the wheels within wheels within the characters, setting and plot. It was just a really satisfying read at all levels, although you will have to wait till later parts of this series for the hot sex. Yes, this story is pre-slash. The relationship continues in the next part, Love and Be...more
Rachael
I judged this book by it's cover and the reality was not what I expected at all. There was no romance (so no bdsm elements at all). There was bondage and whipping. This story is set in a prison where the jailers are psychologists who use any means necessary to get to the truth of the crime. Most times torture works. Sometimes friendship works.
This was a good story that intrigues me.
lesley dawn wallace
The Breaking

The Breaking

The breaking is a ok read you have to stay on top of it but like other books you find love in strange places
Maria
I’m not a fan of short stories as a general rule, but I loved this one. It’s so dark, so intriguing. Peterson is able to built a fascinating world in 84 pages. Don’t go looking for romance in this instalment of the series, but it is about the connection between two men and the world in which they live. It is a story that definitely will stay with you for a while.

Elsdon, and especially Layle, were intriguing characters. There is really not much more to say about them, seeing as this is mostly set...more
Diane
This book turned out to not be about what I thought it would be about, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was still really good. The author has created a really unusual world in which some people,who may or may not have committed murder, spend the rest of their life working in some capacity in the Eternal Dungeon. I liked the two main characters and really liked their interactions with each other. This was a free kindle book....I was surprised that it was so good. There are more book...more
Rosalind M
A thought-provoking read, quiet but absorbing in spite of its dark tones. Definitely not what I expected from the title or description. This free read has encouraged me to seek out more stories set in the Eternal Dungeon.

Additional note, May 2011:
Okay, the other stories were a bit beyond my personal tastes, but my review of this one still stands.
S.M. Johnson
There is no sex (nor torture) in these pages, but the writing is smooth and easy to read, the characters are fairly well-drawn, and it sets up a nice story world for future installments.
Lily Pilly
What an interesting book left me thinking "Heeeyyyyyy....I want to know whether they kissed each other!!!"
Alicja
rating: 2.75/5 (rounded up to 3)

Dark with an unexpected ending.
Eve
Aug 29, 2012 Eve marked it as to-read
Shelves: bought
kindle freebie 8.29.12
Therese
Therese marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jul 20, 2014
Patricia Dugan
Patricia Dugan marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
A. Wilson
A. Wilson marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Krissie
Krissie is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2014
Rodney
Rodney marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Samantha Martin
Samantha Martin marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
S.M. Franklin
S.M. Franklin marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Invidqueen
Invidqueen marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
2072858
Honored in the Rainbow Awards, Dusk Peterson writes fantasy and science fiction with historical settings, as well as contemporary fiction and narrative nonfiction. Suspense plays an important role in many of the tales; the conflict in those tales is both external and internal. Peterson's stories are often placed in dark settings, such as prisons or wartime locations. The mood of the stories, howev...more
More about Dusk Peterson...
Rebirth (Eternal Dungeon, #1) The Eternal Dungeon (Eternal Dungeon, #1-4 & side novella) Spy Hill (Commando) Transformation (Eternal Dungeon, #2) Life Prison (Life Prison: Mercy's Prisoner, #1)