The Breaking (Eternal Dungeon, #1.1)

The Breaking (Eternal Dungeon #1.1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Elsdon Taylor, a prisoner accused of committing a terrible murder. Layle Smith, a torturer with a terrible past. Their meeting in the Eternal Dungeon appears certain to bring out the worst in both men.

The prisoner knew that the Eternal Dungeon was a place where suspected criminals were broken by torture, and he was prepared to hold out against any methods used against him...more
Published June 13th 2012 by Love in Dark Settings Press (first published April 14th 2010)

Dreamer
Free on Smashwords as of 23 March 2013

Intriguing first instalment of 'The Eternal Dungeon'. Well-written short story describing suspected murderer Elsdon Taylor's 'searching' in the Eternal Dungeon by the perceptive High Seeker Layle Smith.
description
'"That's why this is called the Eternal Dungeon? Because you help prisoners to continue in eternal rebirth?"
The guard nodded without speaking.
Elsdon said, "I thought - I'd thought it was named that because no one who is imprisoned here ever leaves here."'
Dee Wy
Not quite what I was expecting, though the setting is as dark and mysterious as I'd hoped. But no torture or romance is this 90-page, stand-alone story. It was interesting though, and this set up has me thinking I want to read more. This one is free on Amazon.
Rachael
I judged this book by it's cover and the reality was not what I expected at all. There was no romance (so no bdsm elements at all). There was bondage and whipping. This story is set in a prison where the jailers are psychologists who use any means necessary to get to the truth of the crime. Most times torture works. Sometimes friendship works.
This was a good story that intrigues me.
Maria
I’m not a fan of short stories as a general rule, but I loved this one. It’s so dark, so intriguing. Peterson is able to built a fascinating world in 84 pages. Don’t go looking for romance in this instalment of the series, but it is about the connection between two men and the world in which they live. It is a story that definitely will stay with you for a while.

Elsdon, and especially Layle, were intriguing characters. There is really not much more to say about them, seeing as this is mostly set...more
Diane
This book turned out to not be about what I thought it would be about, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was still really good. The author has created a really unusual world in which some people,who may or may not have committed murder, spend the rest of their life working in some capacity in the Eternal Dungeon. I liked the two main characters and really liked their interactions with each other. This was a free kindle book....I was surprised that it was so good. There are more book...more
Rosalind M
A thought-provoking read, quiet but absorbing in spite of its dark tones. Definitely not what I expected from the title or description. This free read has encouraged me to seek out more stories set in the Eternal Dungeon.

Additional note, May 2011:
Okay, the other stories were a bit beyond my personal tastes, but my review of this one still stands.
S.M. Johnson
There is no sex (nor torture) in these pages, but the writing is smooth and easy to read, the characters are fairly well-drawn, and it sets up a nice story world for future installments.
Lily Pilly
What an interesting book left me thinking "Heeeyyyyyy....I want to know whether they kissed each other!!!"
Alicja
rating: 2.75/5 (rounded up to 3)

Dark with an unexpected ending.
Eve
Aug 29, 2012 Eve marked it as to-read
Shelves: bought
kindle freebie 8.29.12
Pastor
Pastor marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Josephine
Josephine marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Elin
Elin added it
Apr 03, 2014
Rene
Rene marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Devon
Devon added it
Mar 18, 2014
Achim
Achim marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Elsa Carrion
Elsa Carrion marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Ellie Red
Ellie Red marked it as to-read
Zeoanne
Zeoanne marked it as to-read
lynn
lynn marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Kynthos-the-Archer
Kynthos-the-Archer marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Cam
Cam added it
Feb 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
2072858
Honored in the Rainbow Awards, Dusk Peterson writes fantasy and science fiction with historical settings, as well as contemporary fiction and narrative nonfiction. Suspense plays an important role in many of the tales; the conflict in those tales is both external and internal. Peterson's stories are often placed in dark settings, such as prisons or wartime locations. The mood of the stories, howev...more
More about Dusk Peterson...
Rebirth (Eternal Dungeon, #1) The Eternal Dungeon (Eternal Dungeon, #1-4 & side novella) Spy Hill (Commando) Life Prison (Life Prison: Mercy's Prisoner, #1) Transformation (Eternal Dungeon, #2)