Start by marking “The Breaking (Eternal Dungeon, #1.1)” as Want to Read:
The Breaking (Eternal Dungeon, #1.1)

The Breaking (Eternal Dungeon #1.1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Elsdon Taylor, a prisoner accused of committing a terrible murder. Layle Smith, a torturer with a terrible past. Their meeting in the Eternal Dungeon appears certain to bring out the worst in both men.

The prisoner knew that the Eternal Dungeon was a place where suspected criminals were broken by torture, and he was prepared to hold out against any methods used against him
Published June 13th 2012 by Love in Dark Settings Press (first published April 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Breaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breaking

Ayanna
What a strangely singular piece. I loved the textbook excerpts the author created. Actually, I just love it when authors do that, create texts within their universe and show it to us. It gives more background on the universe, how the changes that make the AU affect that universe versus our own, and give great little oblique meta-analyses.

This...is not a romance at all. There's absolutely no romantic interactions between the main characters at all. In fact, I think there being romance in the next
Dreamer
Free on Smashwords as of 23 March 2013

Intriguing first instalment of 'The Eternal Dungeon'. Well-written short story describing suspected murderer Elsdon Taylor's 'searching' in the Eternal Dungeon by the perceptive High Seeker Layle Smith.
description
'"That's why this is called the Eternal Dungeon? Because you help prisoners to continue in eternal rebirth?"
The guard nodded without speaking.
Elsdon said, "I thought - I'd thought it was named that because no one who is imprisoned here ever leaves here."'
Dee Wy
Not quite what I was expecting, though the setting is as dark and mysterious as I'd hoped. But no torture or romance is this 90-page, stand-alone story. It was interesting though, and this set up has me thinking I want to read more. This one is free on Amazon.
Steelwhisper
Rating is somewhere between "better than okay" and "I like it", or 2.5* and 3*, if you will.

This is a very dry, asexual and extremely thought-out and intricate AU of a past world in which torturing and truth-"seeking" has been elevated to a religion, or rather to achieve the end goal of the belief system of these people.

Unlike several other reviewers I was quite able to see the torture in this, though of course it is not sexual. Also unlike many, who apparently didn't even notice it was there, I
Devon
The Breaking was far more intriguing to me as an introduction to the author's world than as a romance, which I think served the short story better in the long run. Though the characters were rather formulaic, the world-building—especially all the detail given about the Eternal Dungeon, and hints about the world abroad—are incredibly interesting. In fact, it's a very interesting take on "barbarous" system of interrogation, rooted in psychology, in a way that makes a sort of sense. I also apprecia ...more
Yingtai
This is a really powerful short story. I know it sounds like a BDSM fantasy cliché - terrified prisoner interrogated by grim torturer. But the prisoner is surprised, the torturer is surprised, and you will be too by the wheels within wheels within the characters, setting and plot. It was just a really satisfying read at all levels, although you will have to wait till later parts of this series for the hot sex. Yes, this story is pre-slash. The relationship continues in the next part, Love and Be ...more
Roger
Although I am loathe to share my recent kink for gay bdsm stories and such... I read Dusk Peterson free "prequel" story The Breaking for the title and the cover. Ooooh, I thought: a deviant story about deviants set in a prison called the eternal dungeon. It wasn't what I expected but I liked it.
Rachael
I judged this book by it's cover and the reality was not what I expected at all. There was no romance (so no bdsm elements at all). There was bondage and whipping. This story is set in a prison where the jailers are psychologists who use any means necessary to get to the truth of the crime. Most times torture works. Sometimes friendship works.
This was a good story that intrigues me.
lesley dawn wallace
The Breaking

The Breaking

The breaking is a ok read you have to stay on top of it but like other books you find love in strange places
Maria
I’m not a fan of short stories as a general rule, but I loved this one. It’s so dark, so intriguing. Peterson is able to built a fascinating world in 84 pages. Don’t go looking for romance in this instalment of the series, but it is about the connection between two men and the world in which they live. It is a story that definitely will stay with you for a while.

Elsdon, and especially Layle, were intriguing characters. There is really not much more to say about them, seeing as this is mostly set
Diane
This book turned out to not be about what I thought it would be about, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was still really good. The author has created a really unusual world in which some people,who may or may not have committed murder, spend the rest of their life working in some capacity in the Eternal Dungeon. I liked the two main characters and really liked their interactions with each other. This was a free kindle book....I was surprised that it was so good. There are more book ...more
Rosalind M
A thought-provoking read, quiet but absorbing in spite of its dark tones. Definitely not what I expected from the title or description. This free read has encouraged me to seek out more stories set in the Eternal Dungeon.

Additional note, May 2011:
Okay, the other stories were a bit beyond my personal tastes, but my review of this one still stands.
S.M. Johnson
There is no sex (nor torture) in these pages, but the writing is smooth and easy to read, the characters are fairly well-drawn, and it sets up a nice story world for future installments.
Lily Lamb
What an interesting book left me thinking "Heeeyyyyyy....I want to know whether they kissed each other!!!"
Alicja
rating: 2.75/5 (rounded up to 3)

Dark with an unexpected ending.
Eve
Aug 29, 2012 Eve marked it as to-read
Shelves: bought
kindle freebie 8.29.12
Josh Dale
Josh Dale marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Blow Pop
Blow Pop marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Misha Hamu
Misha Hamu marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Alba
Alba marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Suz
Suz marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Littlespelk
Littlespelk marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Blood Lilies (Blood Wars Trilogy #1)
  • The Diary of Dakota Hammell
  • Hidden Talents (Hidden Talents, #1)
  • Gold Standard
  • Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume One (Daron's Guitar Chronicles, #1)
  • Lancelot And The Wolf (The Knights Of Camelot, #1)
  • Holden and Yves – The Early Years (The Slave Breakers, mini-prequel)
  • Chalk Butterfly: "Chrysalis" (Part One)
  • To Sir, With Love
  • Honky Tonk (Honky Tonk, #1)
  • Red-Eye Dawn (Turbulence, #3)
  • Bonds of Fire
  • Supplicant (Dominance, #1)
  • A Dirty Drag Collection
  • (In)visible
  • Gay Gene Rising (The Disciples of Goedric Trilogy, #1)
  • Expectations (Expectations, #1)
  • Jacinto's Voyage
2072858
Honored in the Rainbow Awards, Dusk Peterson writes historical speculative fiction, including lgbtq novels and other diverse fiction. Suspense plays an important role in many of the tales; the conflict in those tales is both external and internal. Peterson's stories are often placed in dark settings, such as prisons or wartime locations. The mood of the stories, however, is not one of unrelieved g ...more
More about Dusk Peterson...

Eternal Dungeon (2 books)
  • Rebirth (Eternal Dungeon, #1)
  • Transformation (Eternal Dungeon, #2)
Rebirth (Eternal Dungeon, #1) The Eternal Dungeon (Eternal Dungeon, #1-4 & side novella) Debt Price (Master/Other, #2) Spy Hill (Commando) Life Prison (Life Prison: Mercy's Prisoner #1)