Introducing Postmodernism: A Graphic Guide to Cutting-Edge Thinking

Introducing Postmodernism: A Graphic Guide to Cutting-Edge Thinking (قدمِ اوّل)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  437 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A look at the building blocks of postmodernism: structuralism, deconstruction, semiotics and the postmodern icons. B/W illustrations throughout.
Published 2007 by Icon Books (first published July 11th 1991)

David Sarkies
The End of History ?

The title of the book that I read was called 'Postmodernism for Beginners' but it appears that this is the same book, though the edition that I read was published in 1995, and I suspect that there are a number of differences between the two editions. The problem though is that this book was publish 20 years ago so, suprisingly, it has become dated. What the book is actually exploring is what the thought pattern of the Western World was at the time, and the thing is that duri...more
Jessica Oswald
I don't think anyone would expect a small book full of cartoons and the world "Introducing" on the cover to be scholarly. This book succeeds in giving someone who is new to the subject a toe-hold, just enough for further learning to build on. As a person advances in the topic they can develop their own opinions on the areas of the book that were written in a biased fashion.

The world makes a little more sense after reading this book.

Raisu
It's somewhat embarrassing, but it seems that I've gone and got hooked on this series. It's great for people like me who combine a thirst for knowledge with a attention span of a mosquito.
h_d
I had to study postmodernism years ago and I recall handing a fairly good assignment in without ever truly grasping what the fuck postmodernism is. This book has been on my shelf since then and as I read it this week, it occurred to me that the book would have been quite useful to read back then.

For an introduction, it covers a lot of ground and for every idea I found myself still struggling with, there was a lot in here that actually does inform and illuminate. What I liked most of all was it g...more
Emily
Theory in any discipline can be extremely difficult to grasp. Bring in postmodernism and many students are completely lost. This book helped me understand the postmodernism movement when I was first introduced to historical and archaeological theory. Appignanesi and Garratt answer such questions as, what on earth is false postmodernism? Eclectic postmodernism? The Anthropic Principle? Introducing Postmodernism is a great companion to any theoretical textbook/compilation of works for an undergrad...more
Mohd Yaakub
BAGAIMANA untuk memahami post-modernism alias pascamoden yang tak punya garis permulaan sejarah yang nyata, kerangka yang penuh kekeliruan dan tempoh tamat yang tampak tak berkesudahan dalam sebuah buku nipis yang dipenuhi grafik?

Inilah cabaran untuk memahami worldview Barat yang datang dengan apa saja saluran atas nama globalisasi dan kini perang global ke atas keganasan. Selepas memporak-perandakan politik-ekonomi-sosial-budaya-pemikiran masyarakat Eropah dan Anglo-Saxon, ia sedang memamah neg...more
Janie
i'd hate to belittle this book by merely calling it a comic book, b/c it is definitely much more than that. if anyone is looking for an in depth taste of the ever-so-complicated topic of postmodernism, here is a book for you! the "cartoons" of all notable figures and works of art in the postmodern movement/segue/transition (?) (<-- see, my confusion is proof of the knowledge i've already gained in the postmodern debacle) aids the reader not in verbose languages but thoughtful visual represent...more
Brian
This was a pretty good postmodern view of postmodernism. They go over what lead up to it and give you a bunch of ideas of what it looks like. That is certainly a tough thing to do because it doesn't look like much of anything. But I think they did a good job of categorizing some of the uncategorizable things and gave you a taste. I'd probably read through it again. The cool think about this was that I read this as a sort of interactive app on my android device. I'd suggest reading it that way si...more
Ted Child
There is a Chomsky essay where he basically calls Postmodern theory a bunch of rubbish. There is something to postmodern theroy but, like Chomsky stated, someone else probably said it much more clearly. After reading this book I can believe it to be true. Most of the second half of this book describes the problems of our modern world and it's false reality rather than much on postmodern theory, maybe because there isn't too much to say. I'll probably read more postmodern stuff but I'm definitely...more
Magda Magdy
Prepare to be taken into a whirlwind of sorts dissecting Postmodernism down to its meticulous details. Analyzing the theory itself within a socio-political globalised culturally impacted range. You're going to get introduced to modernist and postmodernist art movements, philosophies, politics. From Warhol to Foucault to Derrida, Baudrillard, to Madonna and Heidegger. It's got it all. The graphic illustration is eye-candy.
Everett
I didn't think this was as good as some of the other Introducing... books that I've read, but it's probably because the subject matter is pretty vague and complicated. I think I sort of understand a bit what postmodernism is about but I'm also very confused. I don't think I would recommend this to somebody as an _introduction_ to p-m. I may read more about it or I may decide that p-m is sort of a mind-f--k waste of time.
Karen
This book although an introduction to post modernism tries to cram way to much in and therefore left me feeling overwhelmed and feeling like I knew even less than before! Although it gave some insight I felt like it spread itself too thin in an attempt to cover all bases. The cartoons were also a bit annoying and pointless at times - the space could've been better used with clearer explanations of certain areas.
Faedyl
A pesar de que muchos piensen que leer libros para newbies te convierte en uno, creo que son una buena manera de agilizar los conocimientos que fuimos adquiriendo picoteando apuntes aqui y allá. Me pareció muy bien condensado y completo, y a la luz de leer en paralelo ensayos (por ejemplo tener a Lyotard al lado para comparar) se nota que no pifian. Genial compendio!! muy recomendable, queridos mortales.
Penny
Not as good as INTRODUCING MODERNISM: A GRAPHIC GUIDE. Part of the problem is, the subject matter is different. We are "in it" (although some say we are not) so how can we observe ourselves to be in an era when the right-hand bookend isn't there yet? But also, I feel the book itself is not as good. But it's not bad for US$9.95 when you are not art-trained and just want a flash intro.
##
Vera
Those who are new to postmodernism will find that this book gives too much information too soon. Those already familiar with postmodern traditions will probably expect more depth than it offers.
Yet I liked it because illustrations are great and the explanation of hyper-reality is easy-to-grasp. Oh, and thanks to this book I'm one step closer to understanding modern and conceptual art.
Paul Wright
Erin
this book actually helped me to understand postmodernism -- no easy task. i referred to it constantly while writing a paper in law school. i'd recommend this whole series on philosophy for a quick an understandable explanation of stuff that generally makes your head hurt. there are pictures!
David Joseph
Painfully accurate apologetic of a dumb idea. Good job.

I can, in good conscience, only recommend this to those whom might also enjoy deboning fish.

Too much bias.

Thankfully it's a chronicle and not a deconstructionistic examination.

Tiring!

Peter Sharpe
The introducing books are usually very good value for reading about ideas. This one is a good introduction to the complex web of postmodern ideas but should be used as a springboard to other material on the subject.
Destiny
I really liked this book and I have a better understanding of postmodernism. It's simple to read and there's a bibliography of further reading in the back.
Ilze
May 17, 2008 Ilze rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ilze by: Dranus Vermeulen
Now here's a fun way to learn: you simply move from one pic to the next as if it's a comic strip. Except that it's fairly serious stuff, but stimulates you to read more.
Mohamed
everyone loves a book with pictures in it well i surely do its like a manga with a twist i read it all at once once i started i couldn't stop
Christian
a good read as an introduction, covers a broad range of topics. but more reading is required to really grasp what 'postmodernism' is about.
Tom
A decent overview of postmodern philosophy, but it focuses primarily on art and architecture. Also, the style is really strange and messy.
Neil Howe
Gets a little dated towards the end but good stuff in there if you were ever confused by the topic.
Damon
Reading the history(beginning of book) of Post Modernism, surely info I'll forget.
Peter
very good if you can buy it cheap. less than an hours worth of reading, nice introduction
Erin
All of these "Introducing" books are wonderful. A genius and well-produced idea.
Deke
interesting how dated some of these concepts feel after just 20 years
Drew
Introducing Postmodernism (Beginners) by Richard Appignanesi (1995)
  • Introducing Critical Theory
  • Introducing Derrida
  • Introducing Philosophy
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Semiotics
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Introducing Foucault
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Lacan (Introducing)
  • Introducing Jung
  • Introducing Quantum Theory
  • Introducing Logic
  • Introducing Chomsky
  • Postmodernism for Beginners
  • Introducing Time (Introducing (Icon))
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Introducing Evolutionary Psychology
Richard Appignanesi is a published adapter and an author of young adult books. Published credits of Richard Appignanesi include Manga Shakespeare: Julius Caesar (Manga Shakespeare), Manga Shakespeare: Macbeth (Manga Shakespeare), Manga Shakespeare: Hamlet (Manga Shakespeare), and Manga Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet (Manga Shakespeare).
More about Richard Appignanesi...
Twelfth Night Romeo and Juliet (Manga Shakespeare) Freud for Beginners Hamlet (Manga Shakespeare) A Midsummer Night's Dream

“Not a good book. It attempts to take a complex subject and make it assessable to the layman with cartoons, and in this effort it fails. Moreover, the authors often take biased stances, and while I agree with them for the most part it nonetheless detracts from any scholarly offerings in which they wish to partake.” 1 likes