Start by marking “Smoke and Ashes” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Smoke and Ashes

Tanya Huff

Smoke and Ashes (Tony Foster #3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,567 ratings  ·  59 reviews
For former street kid Tony Foster, the news couldn't be better. Landing a job as a production assistant on a syndicated TV show seems a plausible first step towards his dream of becoming a director. But soon after he gets to the set, Tony begins to worry about the high price of success. Some of the activities on the set seem uncomfortably close to the series' vampire theme ...more
Published June 6th 2006 by Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about Smoke and Ashes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoke and Ashes

Louise
Jul 19, 2007 Louise rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: slashers
Tanya Huff's plots are light and crunchable, but this was one was a bit too like that. I do find it hard to wholly accept crazy action plots unless the writer is extremely convincing, and Huff's plotting can sometimes feel like you're in a plot speedboat (you know the ones) skimming along the surface of the story at ridiculous speed.

Okay, I never made a speedboat analogy for plots before but I quite like it.

It's fun and charming, like all her writing, but I do keep wanting more depth in the cha
Kati
Punk
Supernatural/Mystery. Aw, Tony makes a new friend. Who has a GATE TO HELL tattooed on her belly. Whoops. Demons invade. Rocks fall. Some people die. Tony gets kind of badass with his magic. It's a good read. Technical stuff first: Huff has absolutely nailed third person limited. This book is nearly flawless in its POV. The plot arc is clear. We know what needs to be done, and the characters move toward it with a steady ramping up of tension. And the bad guy doesn't get to narrate anything, which ...more
Christine (AR)
Oh, yes! Such a ridiculous amount of fun, with more of everything and everyone I wanted from the first two books -- though I do have to wonder if the in-jokes were distracting to any non-in readers, if that makes sense? No matter; I got the jokes and I loved Tony and Lee, not to mention HENRY, and if, sadly, this really is the last one in the series, at least the ending was completely satisfying. Yes, yes, yes.
Speedtribes
Well, I was looking for more of Henry and CB in this third installment of the Smoke series, since their interaction seemed to be building up slowly from the previous volumes. That meant that something really interesting would happen in this one, right? Wrong. CB barely shows up and Henry spends most of his time with a woman stuck between him and his ex lover.

There was a bunch of sex involving magic and demons-- I found these passages yawn worthy. The sexual hinting in her older work 'The Fire St
Trin
The third in Tanya Huff's Smoke series, which is in turn a spin-off of her Blood series. You don't really need to have read that, though; I've only read the first of the Blood books, and I'm following these just fine. More than fine—I adore these books. The first ( Smoke and Shadows) was a little slow getting going, but they just keep getting better. And if you like humorous, meta, slashy sci-fi/fantasy adventures, then these books are tailor-made for you, man. The main character, Tony, is a PA ...more
Annie
This book was amazing and a good close to the lovely spin-off Smoke trilogy. I adore Tony almost as much as I love Henry and Vicki in the Blood Books. *(definately Tony is above Mike in my favorites list for this series)*. Anyway If you like the blood books I highly recommend reading this. Even the lovely Vicki makes an indirect small appearance in the book.
Rachel Thompson
Tony Foster has been promoted from being a lowly production assistant to being a trainee assistant director--one step closer to landing his dream job of director. He works on the set of a syndicated Canadian television show, Darkest Night, about a vampire detective. But then a Demonic Convergence comes along to shake everything up. Luckily, a stuntwoman knows all about it and recognizes Tony for what he is--a wizard.

The entire cast and crew of Darkest Night know what's going on this time around-
Paula
This is the third (and final?) book in the spin-off series by Huff that takes two of the characters from her Vicky Nelson books and transplants them to Vancouver and the television industry there. It follows on from Smoke and Mirrors.

In Smoke and Ashes, Tony Foster is still working on the crew of a syndicated television show about a vampire detective, though he's managed to claw his way a little further up the ladder of success. Alongside this, he's trying to figure out how to build on his magic
mlady_rebecca
The third and final? book in the Tony Foster series was definitely my favorite. It was nice to get out of the haunted house and back to Toronto at large.

Tony has been promoted at work he's now a sort of assistant director in training. Which means, he does almost exactly what he used to do. *g*

During the course of this book Tony goes from partially to mostly out of the closet with his co-workers. Not being gay, being a wizard. *g*

The big bad of the book is a demon whose handmaiden is immortal du
Kathy
Myridian
Hmm, I guess I didn't make a note of when we started this book, but this is a novel that J and I read together (very off and on). I love the Smoke series by Tanya Huff and then original Blood series that it spun off from. This latter series particularly is wonderfully cinematic. The descriptions are short and vivid, the dialogue is realistically terse, and the adventures are always wildly fast-paced. Her handling of the stories makes the magic feel as every-day as a toaster oven. I do worry a li ...more
duck reads
Third in the Smoke series and maybe better written than the previous offerings, Smoke and Ashes was just two days of total fluff reading. I'm cool with that. I mean, queer characters exist in this universe--heck, in this book there's a spectrum of sexuality and everything. It's super convenient and comforting to me that one of the main character's acknowledged superpowers is eerily correct leaps of logic. (It's lazy writing, but I have no problem with lazy writing when it *makes sense*. Building ...more
Jeremy Preacher
A solid and entertaining end to the series (although I'd be perfectly happy to read more, and it's certainly open enough for many more adventures to follow.) We're back to the more traditional urban fantasy format, and I was fairly pleased with it. The immortal and kind of obnoxious Leah was fun, the snippets of the main characters bluffing, sneaking, and lying their way into all sorts of random places was entertaining, and while I was never quite sold on the villain, I did appreciate the finale ...more
GrainneD
Tony Foster is back, along with the cast and crew of the B-grade vampire television series where he works. (view spoiler).

The characters were their usual great selves. I enjoy the show, the chatter between the various members of the crew, the relationship between Tony and Lee, even the two constables who keep showing up. I wasn't so enamored with the story of Leah(view spoiler)
Silencio
The most disappointing book in the series. I found it a bit boring. The whole thing is almost dialogue only which gets irritating very quick.

I didn't like Leah and felt she didn't add anything to the book other than sex - which didn't fit at all.

(view spoiler)

The whole book is just one big 'plot what
A. Merc Rustad
Janna
I didn't love it as much as I loved Smoke and Mirrors. Leah's whole possessed-by-a-lust-demon shtick got old about halfway through the book, and I think the romance part was sort of a missed opportunity altogether. But I do recommend this book to anyone who has read Smoke and Shadows and Smoke and Mirrors, because it wraps up Tony Foster's story nicely. It was also an entertaining read, and (as expected) Tanya Huff doesn't disappoint with her ability to create engaging characters. If Goodreads l ...more
Ward Bond

SUMMARY:
This third novel in Tanya Huff's action-packed series features Tony Foster and the crew of "Darkest Night," a TV series about a vampire detective. This time they find themselves facing another supernatural menace, a Demonic Convergence. Tony-with the help of vampire Henry Fitzroy and Leah, a stuntwoman who is the last surviving priestess of a sex demon, plus a tabloid reporter and a Canadian Mountie-must keep the key to the convergence alive to prevent a demonic invasion so large scale t

Mo
The first book in the series was a little slow, but the next two were tons of fun to read...now I just keep thinking, where's the next one??? I need my bisexual vampire/gay wizard/demon crack! My favorite thing about Tanya Huff is that her characters have a lot of depth to them and they're not sterotypes by any stretch of the imagination. Everyone's sexuality is just kind of *there* and it's not a big deal, no matter what you are. My junior year "Queer Fictions" seminar prof would have had a bla ...more
June
Jun 20, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wizard, vampire and bad vampire detective tv fans
Recommended to June by: Craig
Shelves: adult, vampires, wizards
The cast and crew of the "Darkest Night" take on demons.
Nicole
Working for the greater good? Yep, that's Tony.
Maggie
Dec 04, 2007 Maggie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
That's it. I just freaking love Tony. In the third and most recently published of the series, Tony has to deal with a demonic convergance. As both Henry and Leah said, heros rise when there is a need. Tony is very much our hero. It is exciting, insightful and still very funny. I've also now stolen the line, "one of us has to stop being such a guy about this."

I want more Tony. Please, Tanya, give us more Tony.
Rosabelle Purnama
I finally finished this series. The third book gets even better.. more action and I like the bantering between the characters. In the third book, Tony Foster is tasked to keep a stunt woman alive because she carries a demongate tattooed on her body, which, when she dies, will open the gate for demons to come into the world and take over. I kind of enjoyed this book. It's got some funny moments as well.
Jane
Former Toronto street kid Tony Foster is comfortably settled in Vancouver where he works on the production of a television vampire series. Of course Henry Fitzroy, the real vampire in Tony's life, is always there to help the young wizard keep out of trouble. But this time, Tony will also need the help of an ancient priestess to keep the world safe for Starbucks and bad television.
Carole
Tony is a compelling protagonist who grows in an interesting way over the course of the "Smoke" books, and is by far my favorite openly gay protagonist in any SF series.

This is the least compelling of the three "Smoke" books, but the "Smoke" trilogy overall is a great read (and re-read), and always draws me back much more quickly than the "Blood" books. Almost a guilty pleasure.
Joy
I started with the earler "Blood" vampire stories with Henry Fitzroy the bastard son of Henry the IIIV turned vampire and who is writes romance novels for a living. Fun stuff. The Smoke and... books are a spin-off with the Vamp's young male lover becoming a wizard. Henry is still a character and these are all just good time killers, better than TV for sure.
Erin (*is in a reviewing slump*)
Another good book o f the series, shame there hasn't been another since 2006. Hope Huff writes more, she seems to write these slowly so hopefully the series is not gone. Love the characters as usual and , while things got confusing at times with the whole wizardry thing, I still enjoyed it and especially found the very ending sweet.
kvon

I'm going with just okay on this one. Tony, for all his gay street walking past, isn't a terribly original character (Henry still steals the show). His love life or lack of it somewhat painful. The Demongate character was interesting. Good use of tv studio space and workers.
Mary
Tony meets a stuntwoman who turns out to be a 300+ yo demongate. If she dies, the gate opens. And demons are coming through due to a Demonic Convergence to try to kill her and open the gate. Tony, Henry, the TV gang, and a cop all have to work together to keep her alive.
  • Lifeblood (Vampire Files, #2)
  • Hemovore
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner, #2)
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • Hell Cop 2
  • Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde, #2)
  • Tatterdemalion (Foundations of Magic, #1)
  • Finder (Borderlands)
  • Turnskin
  • Ring of Knives (The Dead Man, #2)
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff...
Blood Price (Vicki Nelson, #1) Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, #2) Valor's Choice (Confederation #1) Blood Lines (Vicki Nelson, #3) Summon the Keeper (Keeper Chronicles #1)