Start by marking “Death Takes Passage” as Want to Read:
Death Takes Passage

Death Takes Passage (Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold #4)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  495 ratings  ·  54 reviews
History is repeating itself on hundred years later on Alaska's breathtaking Inside Passage. Re-creating the famous Voyage of 1897, the Spirit of '98 is setting sail from Skagway, Alaska, en route to Seattle, Washington, carrying two tons of Yukon gold. Alaska State Trooper Alex Jensen and his love, famous female "musher" Jessie Arnold, are among the excited participants. T ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published August 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Death Takes Passage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Takes Passage

Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Trooper Alex Jensen and musher Jessie Arnold
SETTING: Alaska
SERIES: #4 of 13
RATING: 3.25
WHY: The Spirit of '98 is holding a special cruise along the Alaskan Inner Passage to commemorate the Alaskan Gold Rush of 1898. The cargo includes a large cache of gold. State trooper Alex Jensen and his girlfriend, musher Jessie Arnold represent the State of Alaska on the cruise. The plot is quite complicated, with a crew member killed early on and several of the passengers' gold artifacts stole
Sharon
I recently found this book in a long lost box of books marked "unread." There are 2 more in the series in the box. I like the author and as it turns out, since packing it away I actually took a similar Alaskan Cruise a few years ago. So not only did I enjoy the murder mysteries involved, but I enjoyed reliving the cruise through the beautiful inside passage. I have already started the next in the series, Deadfall, which again focuses on sled dog racing. This next one is already much more intrigu ...more
Jasmine Giacomo
Alex and Jessie take passage on a small cruise ship that’s re-enacting the voyage of the SS Portland, whose arrival in Seattle WA with two tons of Yukon gold sparked the Klondike gold rush. Alex’s role is purely ceremonial, until crimes begin to occur, leading him to step back into his job and take on thieves and murderers alike.

I’ve been to Alaska only once, but I loved it. I picked this book up because I wanted to experience its vistas once more, and the premise of the novel—a cruise through t
Anne
Not my favorite Sue Henry book. Maybe because I didn't feel it did much to develop the characters or relationship of Jessie and Alex. And the entire story takes place on or around boats, so no dogs. The bad guys use a lot of foul language. Although it is not gratuitious as it establishes the morals and dispositions of the bad guys, I still could do without it.
Eric Ruark
This one came as a surprise. I found this book at the local laundry mat. Someone left it behind. Having nothing to do while the clothes were in the dryer, I began reading it. WOW was I surprised. It was a good book. Great mystery. Lot's of fun. A real page turner. I'm definitely going to have to look for the other titles from this author.
Angela2932
This is a wonderful book if you are ever so lucky as to get to take a cruise through Alaska's Inside Passage. This book is a murder-mystery aboard The Spirit of '98, a small cruise ship, commemorate the Gold Rush of 1898, sailing through the Inside Passage. Alex Jensen and his girlfriend Jessie Arnold are aboard as official representatives of the State of Alaska. Alex is asked to investigate items missing from several cabins, and then the death of one of the passengers. Eventually, the mystery i ...more
Ellen
I've enjoyed a couple of her books, but stumbled a bit in this one because the timeline switches back and forth and I had to keep looking back to see when the bad guys did one of their deeds.
Sheila
What was supposed to be a ceremonial vacation voyage to commemorate the centennial of the Klondike goldrush turns out to be a murder/gold heist and much more for Alex and Jessie.
Crazy Red-head
I'm reading this series in a hodgepodge manner since I've not been able to get the books in order from the library. I just finished the book AFTER this one....so I got this one to read so I know about her adventure before she rebuilt her log cabin. Then I'll need to read backwards to the first one before heading back the other way to find out what she's up to as she recooperates from her injuries.

I am going to STOP reading this one.....It doesn't hold my attention when I've got so many distracti
Jan
I thought I liked Sue Henry Alaskan mysteries but I found this one a bit stilted and unsatisfying. I won't give up; I took out 2 from the library
Alex Jensen and Jessie Arnold are excited to go on a historic cruise 100 years after another ship carried two tons of Yukon gold to Seattle setting off the Klondike Gold Rush. Their excitement wains as some items go missing from guest cabins and Alex is called to investigate. Soon a suspicious crew member disappears and foul play is suspected. Another story followed is that of two men who have stolen a sailboat and have been ordered to meet another man for an unknown scheme they will be richly r ...more
Carolyn Rose
Great descriptions of Alaska's Inside Passage and all you're likely to see on a cruise help make this a good beach read.
Cynthia Kauffmann
I would read more from this author.
Linda
I really enjoyed this book. The story was a lot of fun, with some good twists and turns. I loved that they were in some of the places I got to visit when I went to Alaska, I think that added to my enjoyment. There were a couple of spots with some major plot errors that had me looking at the page before going I swore I just read the opposite (and I did), these were not enough to take away from the overall story, just minor inconviences.
Sandy
Jessie Arnold and her boyfriend State Trooper Alex Jensen are travelling on board a historical cruise celebrating the gold rush when a crew member goes missing and a number of robberies happen. Alex and Jessie are determined to find out what is really happening but the culprits are hard to find.

This was a ok story but not as interesting as the other ones in the series which deal more with the dog sledding and the gold rush.
Marti
This was a pleasant book--good for the heat wave we are having. What I enjoyed most was reading about what a trip from Alaska to Canada would be like--the geographic details as well as the marine life encountered--sea otters, whales, etc. The characters are pleasant, though I thought that Alex Jensen complained too much about having to work on the trip rather than have a vacation.
Jeri
3.5 Fourth in an excellent series. I like the characters (in addition to the main characters there were some memorable secondary ones), the scenery is breathtaking, and the suspense builds to heartstopping conclusion. I could've done without the bits from the villain's viewpoint(s) -- it didn't add a thing to the story IMO, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the book either.
Elaine
History comes alive as Alex Jensen finds himself solving a mystery on a voyage on a cruiser that is recreating the famous Voyage of 1897 from Skagway, Alaska to Seattle, Washington which carried two tons of of Yukon Gold and set off the Alaska gold rush. One of the best of the series. I have now finished them all
Leila
Apr 01, 2009 Leila rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Norma
This book was especially interesting to read having cruised the inside passage. All the familar sights were described as the small cruise ship
sailed from Skagway to Seattle. Beside the intersting travel information there were 2 murders that had to solved. I'm sad Sue Henry has no more books for me to read.
VerJean
Jesse Arnold (Alaskan Dog Musher)
Alex Jensen (her Alaska State Trooper boyfriend)
Good info on Alaska locales.
He representing Alaska troopers for trip - 1997 - down Inside Passage with gold
re-enacting first trip to Seattle with gold from 1897 Yukon Gold Rush
Easy reading mystery.
Enjoyable series.
Read in 2010.
Sharon
A great mystery I stumbled upon while looking for books about Alaska in preparation for a trip there. It's well written; historically accurate with notes at the end, and solved believably (something I really appreciate in a good mystery!). I'll read more of hers eventually.
Heather
I really enjoy these mysteries. Sue Henry has several and I really enjoy her writing. It is a fairly easy read and good winter day book to pass time or get away from reality. She really allows you to become the character, a women of adventure and strenght.
Jamilah
Oct 17, 2007 Jamilah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nevada Barr fans
The series deals with a woman "musher" - sled-dog racer. She is tough and smart, and reminds me of Nevada Barr's woman park ranger character. I liked this one, because it had some historical reinactment in it also (Alaskan Gold Rush commemorative cruise).
Jacquie
Couldn't quite get into it like I did the rest of the series. Way too many secondary characters between the other passengers, crew members and bad guys and I had trouble keeping them straight. Long build up to a quick slightly muddy ending.
Ann
Another Mystery book. Murder takes place on a ship re-creating the voyage of 1897 as the ship sails on Alaska's Inside Passage between Skagway and Seattle. Begins a little slow, but builds up to intrigue as things begin to happen.
Karren
Really enjoy reading these Alex Jensen and Jessie Arnold novels. The Author's description of Alaska and In This novel the passage is well written and for me captivating. The mystery unfolding is interesting and keeps me turning the pages.
Dianna Hintze
This was a wonderful trip through the inside passage as well as an intriguing mystery. Sue Henry is a wonderful writer who makes you see through the characters eyes. I recommend this book and any others I have read by her.
Donnajo
NL's book crawl Alaska
gave it a 8 1/2 rating. 4th in series still have to read the 3rd which I know I have and can't locate. this one was good took place on a cruise a little differen than her usual ones.
Emily
This was a good mystery...fast read...I like it better than Deadfall, which is the only other book I've read by this author. After this one, I plan to read more of her novels. This could make a cool movie.
Elizabeth White
I enjoy Sue Henry's books, although I got a little impatient for it to get to the end. I've been to most of the places described on the cruise so that added some interest.
  • A Deeper Sleep (Kate Shugak, #15)
  • Raising Ourselves: A Gwitch'in Coming of Age Story from the Yukon River
  • Rituals of the Season
  • The Bone is Pointed (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, #6)
  • Remodeled to Death (Susan Henshaw, #9)
  • Confession (Jenny Cain, #9)
  • Curtain & The Mysterious Affairs at Styles
  • The Dogfather (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #15)
  • Murder Walks the Plank (Death on Demand, #15)
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
Sue Henry is the author of six novels in her award-winning Alaska mystery series: Murder on the Iditarod Trail, Termination Dust, Sleeping Lady, Death Takes Passage, Deadfall, and Murder on the Yukon Quest. She has lived in Alaska for almost aquarter of a century, and brings history, Alaskan lore, and the majestic beauty of the vast landscape to her mysteries. Based in Anchorage, where she teaches ...more
More about Sue Henry...

Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1)
  • Termination Dust (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #2)
  • Sleeping Lady (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #3)
  • Deadfall (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #5)
  • Murder on the Yukon Quest (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #6)
  • Beneath the Ashes (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #7)
  • Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8)
  • Cold Company (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #9)
  • Death Trap (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #10)
  • Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11)
Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1) Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8) Murder on the Yukon Quest (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #6) The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1) Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11)