Start by marking “Curious George Goes to the Beach (Read-Aloud)” as Want to Read:
Curious George Goes to the Beach (Read-Aloud)

Curious George Goes to the Beach (Read-Aloud)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  4,154 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
"Curious George at the Beach" is a sunny summer story based on H. A. and Margret Reypainted in the original watercolor and charcoal style. Once shore-side, Curious George plays ball, pretends to be a lifeguard, and discovers some very hungry seagulls! Can George help his friend Betsy overcome her fear of the ocean while saving the day? We all know the answer. Surf's up!
Fo
Published October 25th 1999 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Curious George Goes to the Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curious George Goes to the Beach

Gabriel Wallis
Jan 13, 2013 Gabriel Wallis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, 2016
January 13, 2013:
I've had this book for decades, and just now decided to read it. I have no recollection of reading it previously. I've always liked Curious George. Nothing like a mischievous monkey. After reading "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston last year, it was a nice reprieve to have a friendly monkey story instead of a story about a pack of disease-ridden primates ready to tear your face off. No Ebola nightmare in this book! Well, George was at it again. George and the man with the yellow
midnightfaerie
Aug 15, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Our family loves Curious George and we picked this one up at a library sale for .25 cents. Probably only a level 1 reading book, but still a fun read. Not much detail to this plot by still an exciting read for my 5 yr old when George saves the day. A great addition to any C.G. collection.
Shelby Joy
One of many great books in the Curious George series. These books are perfect for all readers. This book had a great story line that would be fun for children to listen to or even read. The images provide a great visual for the words on every page. This book could be used by a parent to teach their child about what they might hear and see at the beach.
Melissa
Jan 15, 2017 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son loves Curious George so this book was able to keep his attention. It helped that he knew the characters already too. In the story George goes to the beach with the man where they plan to have a picnic. While there he sees some friends and gets into his usual shenanigans. Curious George Goes to the Beach was a very cute story and we'll definitely read it again at the pool this summer.
Matt
Jun 07, 2008 Matt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents of Curious George fanatics
Recommended to Matt by: My two year old
Shelves: childrens
My kids love Curious George. This is one of thier favorites.

It's not really one of mine, although I will admit that its pretty good in comparison to most of the Curious George books not actually written by Margret and H.A. Rey. It also has the advantage of being shorter than the originals, making it perhaps a better before bed book when the kids are dwaddling.

The story is formulaic Curious George.

George goes somewhere with his friend 'the Man in the Yellow Hat'. George is abandoned with the cau
Erin Prosser
Mar 02, 2013 Erin Prosser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Curious George Goes to the Beach is a cute classic picture book that has a lot of variety to it. Not only does it have good illustrations but the story in the book goes along with the pictures so well. They work together!

In this story, Curious George and his friend with the yellow hat take a trip to the beach and indulge on so many fun activities. They meet a grandmother and her granddaughter who is afraid to get into the water but luckily Curious is there to help. Also, Curious feeds seagulls
Keely Franklin
Sep 09, 2015 Keely Franklin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Curious George and the man in the yellow hat go to the beach as detailed in the title. The illustrations of the book had very vibrant colors and kind of made me nostalgic as I thought about myself reading Curious George books as a child along with the illustration style being quite ubiquitous when I was a kid. The colors were bright rather than dark to set the tone for a happy day at the beach. While George gets involved in some antics throughout the book, the main arch of the stor ...more
Ethelen V.
Mar 30, 2014 Ethelen V. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: etl2368

Curious George is a classic! In this saga, George and the man in the yellow hat goes to the beach. George is not called Curious George for nothing. He explores the role of a lifeguard, feeds seagulls, and even encourages a friend to swim. A fun-loving, entertaining book!

The Curious George series has been celebrated for decades. The series has a timeless quality that children enjoy. This story will attract children ages 5-8 years because of its fun story line, cute, simplistic drawings, and let's
Alexa David
Sep 20, 2012 Alexa David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Curious George Goes to the Beach is story about a monkey named George who goes to the beach. While having fun feeding the sea gulls, they take over. George has to rescue the picnic basket and at the same time, helps his friend overcome her fear of water. H.A. Rey and Vinpah Interactive depict each part of the storyline very well. Unlike some other Curious George books, the reader could know exactly what was happening without reading any text. The illustrations are lively and full of color. Curio ...more
Erika Gregory
This book would be good for young readers. The reading is simple and short in order to keep the readers attention. The illustrations are active as well which allow the readers to visualize what is happening, while reading it. I also really liked how the story had a meaning. This would be good for kids to read and learn what is right and what is wrong. They would see what George did and see that things like that are good. I would use this for a lesson on behavior within my own classroom.
Deirdre Keating
Jan 07, 2012 Deirdre Keating rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
If we're going to be negative (see CG & the Dinosaur), we feel the need to post about our favorite George book. Nolan says "all of them" but Sean and I agree that Curious George at the Beach is our favorite.

We love his curiosity about the life guard's chair and whistle, the sneaky way the seagulls get some (or all) of their lunch, and how his antics lead a friend to overcome her fear of the water. Sweet book and great illustrations.
Jenn Swanson
George decides to feed the seagulls because they seem hungry. Unfortunately the basket gets caught in a tide and gets swept away. George may be a curious little monkey who always gets into trouble but he is smart enough to figure out how to make everything right again. My daughter and I enjoyed this story and would recommend it.
Bernadette Green
Entertaining read! George always brings it home to where young children can relate....they're all curious and at that stage of exploration. George is having a fun day at the beach and thinks it'd be a good idea to share his food with the hungry seagulls. Distracted by the seagulls, he didn't realize the tide came in a took his picnic basked out to sea.
Erin
Aug 17, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic George. He and the Man in the Yellow Hat go to the beach to have fun. George ends up feeding their lunch to hungry seagulls and the basket floats out to sea. He rescues the basket, but finds it empty. Their friends on the beach offer to share their lunch with George and the Man in the Yellow Hat, so all ends well.

Good for preschool storytimes.
Itzia
This book was full of adventure. Curious George is a monkey that is always curious about everything around him. I'm this story he goes to the beach and has a picnic but instead he trails off and starts exploring and ends up on the lifeguard tower and gets in trouble. But at the end he shows one of his friends how to swim and not to be afraid I the water.
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
My 3 year old loves Curious George. He watches all TV shows on all 6 seasons on Netflix. He watches many reruns on TV. Recently I bought him about 15 different books. He learns a lot from it. Great series, books and TV shows. He enjoys this book tonight. I read him 5 curious George books a night. He likes me to read and re-read them for him.
Jane
My preschool class love Curious George books and one of their favorites is Curious George Goes to the Beach. They like that George gets into trouble but always ends up being the hero and feeling good about how he helps other people.
Brandi
Sep 05, 2012 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I think this book teaches children how important it is to share and try new things. Curious George shared his food with the seagulls and Betsy tried swimming for the first time. In the end the day was a success!
Benjamin Elliott
This is a more simplified story than the original Curious George books. There's one major flaw in the plot, and the rewarding meal of all desserts is not currently a supported message, but it's more or less harmless.
Alyn
Feb 27, 2014 Alyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. George was curious as usual and he discovered some new things and helped out a friend. This was a fast and easy read. At one point it even had me guessing about what would come next.
Lexi
May 07, 2015 Lexi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: curious-george
George goes to the beach and has fun playing in the sand and with the seagulls, until one of them takes something valuable to him and he has to find a way to get it back. I think this is an important lesson to your students to be careful when they play, and to protect what is important to them.
Seon Kim
Curious George got to explore different roles in this book. With this book, I can do following up activity where students have an opportunity to pretend play in different roles like George.
Laura-Lynne Smith
Aug 02, 2015 Laura-Lynne Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this story to my wee son & even though he probably can't understand yet he was definitely listening & looking at the illustrations. We will definitely read this one again.
Stephanie Watson
This book is good for young readers. It shows, through Curious George, how and why listening is important.
Tanya (mom's small victories)
My kids love the beach and watching/chasing seagulls so it's no wonder this book is one of their favorites!
The Children
Aug 16, 2009 The Children rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really hate the "new" Curious George. They are poorly written and only trying to cash in on the popularity of our favorite monkey.
Sarah Sammis
Jul 14, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pc, read-in-2005
Cute book and we enjoyed reading it together a few times. Now DS is moving onto different interests and I think it's time to release this book to another BookCrosser.
Heidi
George loses his lunch thanks to feeding a bunch of hungry seagulls, but helps a friend overcome her fear of the water. The toddler enjoys this one, just like the other George books.
Jason Stalides
I have really come to love original Curious George books. Stories about the shenanigans of a curious monkey is perfect...for my curious little monkeys.
Summer
Apr 28, 2013 Summer rated it really liked it
I got this at our shower, also from Bonita and I really enjoyed it. Curious George is just great!

• Curious George's Dream
  • Clifford's Christmas
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad
  • The Best Mouse Cookie
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Lion King (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
Margret Elizabeth Rey (May 16, 1906 – December 21, 1996), born Margarete Elisabeth Waldstein, was (with her husband H. A. Rey), the co-author and illustrator of children's books, best known for their Curious George

Although she was born in Germany, she fled to Brazil early in her life to escape Nazism. While there, she met her future husband Hans (who was a salesman and also from Germany). They mar
More about Margret Rey...