Start by marking “Parlor Politics: In Which the Ladies of Washington Help Build a City and a Government” as Want to Read:

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  13 reviews
When Thomas Jefferson moved his victorious Republican administration into the new capital city in 1801, one of his first acts was to abolish any formal receptions, except on New Year's Day and the Fourth of July. His successful campaign for the presidency had been partially founded on the idea that his Federalist enemies had assumed dangerously aristocratic trappings--a sw ...more
Published March 1st 2002 by University of Virginia Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Parlor Politics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parlor Politics

Lindsay
I absolutely loved this book. I thought it was incredibly well written and a totally new look at history and a time period that is pretty well documented. It's not easy to bring a new perspective to the table, but this book does an amazing job.

The author focus on a thirty year period, 1800-1830, that gave birth to the Washington, D.C. we are familiar with today. In particular, the women behind the scenes that structured the social scene in D.C. and served as partners to their husbands and agents
Rebecca
Parlor Politics is a fascinating look into the politics of early Washington, DC. The author posits that the women of Washington had a huge influence on politics, one that has gone mostly unnoticed and unexamined. She states that these women created spaces that allowed politics to function, through calling, parties, and other gatherings. In these informal spaces, men and women could meet and talk politics in a way they could not anywhere else. She goes through the presidencies from Jefferson to J ...more
This book is written more like a thesis than a nonfiction book. It's scholarly tone definitely made the subjects of the book more dry than then needed to be.

The concept of the book is very interesting. I was disapointed to read that even back then politics and political leaders played "dirty." I think I would have gotten more out of the book if the author provided more background information of each time period. She describes the city of Washington fairly well but leaves out key information to b
Nicole
An academic history about the early years of Washington DC that is easily accessible to a broader audience. The author was an actress for years before she went back to grad school, and it shows - to great advantage - in her prose style. It's also a very important book in terms of the role of social and ceremonial activities in the conduct of politics and diplomacy.

I've used this in the intro US history survey, and those students who actually bothered to open the book liked and understood it.

Init
Craig
Very interesting look at the first 30 years of Washington D.C. and the women who helped shape the make-up of the early stages of America's government under the leadership of Jefferson to Jackson.

Focuses on the better-known political women of this time period (if anyone can fit that description) such as Abigail Adams (briefly) and Dolley Madison, but also offers fascinating looks at lesser-known individuals such as Catherine Adams (the wife of John Quincy Adams) and Margaret Bayard Smith.
Annabel
While I like how Allgor focused on a lot of things women did during this time to help their husbands politically, I think sometimes she focuses so much on them that she makes the men seem like they sat back and let their wives do all the work, instead of writing about how the husbands may have appreciated their wives' work, or that they too worked so they might rise in the world of politics.
Nicki
Stuffed between library shelves is where I found this little volume which was, at least what I consider, a pretty good find.

Informative and enlightening? Yes, of course. Engaging? Not particularly. It was a bit of a chore to finish, but the stories of these women are absolutely captivating. The writing style, not so much.
Debbie
The first time I read this book, I thought it was all style over substance. Turns out, on second reading, that was exactly what Allgor was talking about: style is substance, in a very real way. She shows how women shaped the political culture of Washington DC, and how things really got done then (and probably still do).
Mary-Michelle Moore
This book was an eye opener. I am not used to thinking of Washington DC as being built out of nothing and I liked reading about the contributions of Washington's ladies helping to build up an important city in our government. It's a little dense, hard to read if there's too much going on in the room but worth the effort.
Ben
oh god. what an irrelevant book. Allgor completely ignores the actual struggles of women and tries to emphasize how by being good supportive wives, rich white women helped make the US the most perfect country on earth. the peggy eaton chapter is ok, resulting in the single star i gave it.
Ann
How could anyone take such an interesting topic and completely muddle the writing. I felt like taking a red pen to it. Good information completely buried in unnecessary wordage.
Sean Chick
A very fresh perspective on how politics was conducted in the early American Republic. Books like this prove that there is new work to be done on well tread historical subjects.
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Aaron Brame
Aaron Brame marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Rt
Rt added it
Dec 19, 2014
Maliamoana
Maliamoana marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Betsy
Betsy added it
Feb 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A Perfect Union: Dolley Madison and the Creation of the American Nation Dolley Madison: The Problem of National Unity Dolley Madison: First Lady and Founder The Queen of America: Mary Cutts's Life of Dolley Madison