The Lady in the Box

The Lady in the Box

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  11 reviews
It is wintertime in the city and freezing cold, but not everyone is inside and warm. Ben and his sister Lizzie know that there is a lady who lives outside in a box over a warm air vent. The children worry about the kind-looking lady, and begin sneaking food and clothes out of their apartment for her. Gently told and powerfully illustrated in rich hues, The Lady in the Box...more
Published September 16th 1999 by Turtle Books (first published 1997)

Dolly
Feb 11, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a difficult, but inspiring story about two young children who help a lady who is homeless and sleeps in a box by a warm grate at night. The narrative is engaging and shows how children can make a difference in someone's life, although I would advise parents to caution their children about trying to approach a homeless person without having a parent with them. The mother's solution of volunteering in the soup kitchen was a much more practical and safer way to help.

The oil painting illust...more
Nicole
I first came upon this book while I was teaching third grade at a school located in an urban enclave in Atlanta, Georgia. Many of my students were refugees or displaced from their countries of origin for one reason or another. They were well aware of the realities of homelessness and poverty--two topics covered in this picturebook. Needless to say this book made an impression on my third graders and instigated a number of "grand conversations". I later shared this book as I made my way through d...more
Randie
Ben and Lizzie notice that a homeless lady has been sleeping in a box in their neighborhood. They don't want to disobey their mother by talking to a stranger but they have huge hearts and begin to help the lady by offering her crackers, soup, and a scarf. As Christmastime approaches and the weather becomes colder, Ben and Lizzie's mother finds a way for them to help the homeless in a bigger way. Illustrations are large, detailed, and full of emotion.

Great message to share with children.
Sharie
I teach a class of 3rd-5th graders at church, and today we discussed homelessness (as part of a series of lessons on Matthew 25:34-46). I checked this book out of the library and had them read one page at a time, passing it around the table. It was a great discussion starter for the subject of homelessness. I love how the children in the story take it upon themselves to help the lady in the box, even though it might get them into trouble. I also appreciate that the author has the family voluntee...more
Mrs Bond
A brother and sister notice a woman who sleeps in a box down the street from their home. They thoughtfully consider ways that they can be of help to her. It doesn't take long for their mother to become suspicious about items missing from the house; nor does it take long for her to help her children. Beautiful illustrations (oil).
Ms. LaPorte
Aug 29, 2009 Ms. LaPorte added it
Shelves: friendship
Two children watch a women who sleeps in a box down the street from their apartment. They help in little ways. They leave peanut butter and a scarf, but they'd like to do more.

Themes: Homelessness, Soup Kitchen, Community Service
Isabel
This story is about 2 children who find a homeless lady on the side walk. This made the children want to help her,so they did by giving her food and clothes. They raised money for a restraunt to build for people who don't have a home.
Cheryl
I definitely liked the way the author presented this topic in a simple, compassionate way while including simple reminders of how to say safe and be responsible by communicating with their parents too.
Kelly
This the story of a brother and sister who seek to help a homeless woman around Christmastime.
Yekta
This book was very good but sad. I loved it!!!
Kate Hastings
Grades 1-5. Homelessness and compassion/service.
Carol
Carol added it
May 25, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Jamilie
Jamilie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Faithful Steward
Faithful Steward marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Jane
Jane added it
Jan 30, 2014
Anisa
Anisa marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Brynn Bennion
Brynn Bennion marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Stone Soup Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest (Scholastic Junior Classics) Too Much Noise The Secret Soldier: The Story of Deborah Sampson If You Sailed On The Mayflower