Start by marking “Happy Birthday Big Bad Wolf” as Want to Read:
Happy Birthday  Big Bad Wolf

Happy Birthday Big Bad Wolf

A comic twist on The Three Little Pigs by beloved author-illustrator Frank Asch.

When the Big Bad Wolf comes knocking at the door of the Pig family, he's in for a real surprise. Poppa Pig, Momma Pig and Little Pig are throwing him a birthday party - and it's not even his birthday! Before the guest of honor can even think of huffing and puffing, he's considering cake flavors
Published February 1st 2011 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about Happy Birthday Big Bad Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Birthday Big Bad Wolf

Margaret Welwood
May 21, 2015 Margaret Welwood rated it really liked it
The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend. ~ Abraham Lincoln

What happens when a Big, Bad--and Hungry--Wolf knocks on the door, and Little Pig welcomes him in?

It's an intriguing premise--two frightened pigs and one that doesn't know enough to be frightened host a birthday party for a pork-loving wolf. The characters have their own perspectives, and the reader has the big picture.

I read "Happy Birthday, Big Bad Wolf" to the kindergartners yesterday. The only thing I didn't like abou
Eva Leger
Dec 21, 2011 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
Happy Birthday, Big Bad Wolf is a different twist to The Three Little Pigs. The illustrations are fairly big and definitely bright. There are a few differences here along with the story's own special uniqueness.
Julia's favorite part, according to her, was when the pigs tricked the wolf about his birthday.
It looked to me that Julia's favorite part was when the wolf was crying because he was alone and the young pig went back to comfort him.
Maybe they were both her favorite parts. ;-)
The story
Nick
Mar 15, 2011 Nick rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a delightful book for children, and a terrifying one for parents. The story works only because the littlest pig is too innocent to realize that he's repeatedly putting his family in deadly danger. While it works in this case, the "message" is a little disturbing...and if the kid's luck ever runs out, the whole family is doomed.

When a hungry wolf comes to the house of a family of pigs, the littlest one ends up throwing him a party, and the results are both funny and touching...and not ver
Lisa Mcbroom
May 04, 2016 Lisa Mcbroom rated it liked it
The Pig family is about to eat dinner when the Big Bad Wolf knocks at the door. Mother and Father Pig hide and Little Pig thinking it is Big Bad Wolf's birthday yells surprise. Eventually the wolf and pigs learn to coexist!
Deborah
Jul 17, 2015 Deborah rated it liked it
A fun twist on the characters we know. There are good dialogue tags and complex sentence examples in the story, too.
Ashley
Aug 04, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-flora
Flora loved this book and made me read it over and over
Heather
Jul 29, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I just can't help it... I love variations on the Three Little Pigs, and this one is well-done. The illustrations are very simple but the story (with the little pig's misunderstandings & innocent kindness contrasted with his parents' freak-out) is well done. It's especially fun to read aloud to a group of children, who really enjoy the wolf's confusion and mood changes.
Heidi-Marie
A cute story of the Pig family throwing the wolf a birthday party. Very simple illustrations (being by Asch, that isn't surprising). I think the text is too long for a preschool storytime. The book could easily be summarized, but I hate doing that with preschool age. I like to read them the whole book. I can still keep this as a display book for the birthday theme.
Emily Miller
This fairytale is a cute story of a the Pig family throwing the wolf a birthday party. This book has many simple illustration. I think the book itself is a little too long for first graders to read but would be perfect for possibly second or third grade. One reason i really enjoyed this book was because it was a twist on the book The Three Little Pigs.
Shannon
Dec 30, 2013 Shannon rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
I'm all for fracturing fairy tales, but I didn't love this story. I didn't know who I was supposed to root for, and not in a I WANT MY HAT BACK way.
Angela
Mar 23, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
I knew that big bad wolf was misunderstood! This is a funny look at how the big bad wolf truly just wants some attention and affection, after he realizes how friendly the pig family are.
Emily Hudak
Aug 07, 2012 Emily Hudak rated it liked it
When little pig thinks it's the big bad wolf's birthday, the rest of his family plays along to avoid getting eaten.
Tam
Jul 21, 2014 Tam rated it really liked it
Both my boys (ages 4 & 8) loved this book and wanted to read it again. Very funny misunderstanding!
Melissa
I can see this working well with an older group and a reader willing to ham it up!
Scottsdale Public Library
Innocence hilariously brings out the surprising best.

-- Monty K.
Morgan
Jan 31, 2011 Morgan rated it really liked it
Little Pig befriends Big Bad Wolf during a surprise birthday party.
Adrienne Furness
"Silly wolf! You don't EAT snuggle toys. You snuggle them!"
Edward Sullivan
Mar 02, 2011 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: folklore
Fractured fairy tale with an amusing twist.
PWRL
Sep 10, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Shasta
Shasta added it
Aug 26, 2016
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Sandy Brehl
Sandy Brehl rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Gunay
Gunay marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Bambi Pea
Bambi Pea rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Mesorain
Mesorain rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
John
John added it
Feb 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Frank Asch is an American children's writer, best known for his Moonbear picture books.

Asch published his first picture book, George's Store, in 1968. The following year he graduated from Cooper Union with a BFA. Since then he has taught at a public school in India, as well as at a Montessori school in the United States, conducted numerous creative workshops for children. He has written over 60 bo
More about Frank Asch...