Start by marking “Fancy Nancy: Splendid Speller” as Want to Read:
Fancy Nancy: Splendid Speller

Fancy Nancy: Splendid Speller (Fancy Nancy)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Where spelling is concerned, Nancy is better than great—she's splendid! But when Ms. Glass's spelling test is harder than Nancy anticipated, the self-professed spelling prodigy faces a tough decision.
Published January 4th 2011 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Nancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fancy Nancy

Dolly
Apr 16, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is another fun book in the Fancy Nancy series of books by Jane O'Connor. This story centers around a spelling test and Nancy's temptation to cheat. We've really enjoyed the books in this series. They have good stories, usually with a good lesson for children. And while the narrative is simple, some challenging vocabulary words are included to help readers learn new words. The words are explained within the story and there is usually a glossary of new words in the back of the book as well.
Angela
Best for kids ages 4 and up.
Early Literacy Skills: PrinteMotivation, Letter Knowledge, Vocabulary, Narrative Skills

From cover:
Nancy loves spelling. She can spell fun words like "happy" and French words like chien (that means "dog") and even long words like "splendid." But when Ms. Glass's spelling test is harder than Nancy anticipated, the self-professed spelling prodigy faces a tough decision that pits her pride against her principles.

Fancy Nancy series with information for parents about how t
Marcie
Dec 27, 2011 Marcie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcie by: Broomfield new books
This really is a 3.5 for me because I almost Really liked it. I loved the first Fancy Nancy Book so much that I swear I read it to everyone. Unfortunately I almost feel like I did with the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie that we have too much of a good thing. Then I read this one and do see how it probably can find an audience (my own splendid spelling difficulty). I was especially intregued by the cover which said "pictures based on the art of Robin Preiss Glasser) and the explanation inside that ...more
Child960801
Nancy is a great speller but when the test comes she can't remember one of the words.
Teri
We used this book as an introduction to a spelling bee. Now we're trying to be "splendid spellers" like Fancy Nancy by choosing a word to spell out of each story we read. Good readers are not always good spellers, but I think this idea of "couch spelling" is a really great way to help kids become more conscientious of word make up and helps turn good readers into good spellers. Plus, the book has a really good lesson about how bad it can feel to cheat.
Gretchen
This is a great book for kids who want perfect grades and are really upset when they don't get them. Shows that the work you put into it is what is important, as well as your friendships. Also, shows how sometimes kids consider cheating beause they don't want to fail and how stopping yourself before you make a choice to cheat is good in itself.
Sheri
This is an early reader from the Fancy Nancy series. Nancy loves spelling and practices for her test but is tempted to peek at another paper. Then she feels bad and Bree her friend does the same thing. They are good spellers but they miss a word or two anyway. Nice life lesson on honesty and struggle to practice spelling words.
Nancy Jo Lambert
So recently, my daughter has become extremely interested in Fancy Nancy. So, we have been reading some of the Fancy Nancy series. This series is lots of fun and all the heart warming moments are a nice touch to the rather flouncy, fancy moments.
Miri
There's an extra moral in this story, as Nancy is tempted to cheat on her spelling test and then feels guilty about it. I like the way it was handled.
Gail
Better for a first grader and above where they would actually have spelling tests and know what they are. Not right for my 4 year old.
jacky
I liked the plot about cheating and also about how thinking about doing something wrong doesn't make you a bad person.
Jaime
I liked the story and the spelling. My kindergartner, boy, got annoyed with it. My daughter liked it though.
Rachel C
Very cute level 1 reader, and my daughter enjoyed spelling along with Nancy & Bree.
Michelle
Mariana loves Fancy Nancy, and she really enjoyed this one before bed.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
A good one to illustrate to the girlchild that cheating is not good.
Tam
The cover said this book is recommended for ages 4-8.
Dannie
Dealing with issues of guilt
PWRL
Jan 22, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Jamie
Jamie added it
Jan 23, 2015
Nova
Nova marked it as to-read
Kelley (Shyflea)
Kelley (Shyflea) marked it as to-read
Ayden Carey
Ayden Carey marked it as to-read
Jesse Kerr
Jesse Kerr marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
  • Pinkalicious: Pinkie Promise
  • Can I Play Too? (Elephant & Piggie, #12)
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • What Is a Princess? (Disney Princess)
  • Biscuit Finds a Friend
  • The Night Before Kindergarten
  • Curious George's First Day of School
  • Splat the Cat Takes the Cake
  • D.W. Thinks Big
  • Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs?
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website
More about Jane O'Connor...

Fancy Nancy (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Fancy Nancy
  • Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy
  • Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly
  • Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • Fancy Nancy: Tea Parties (Fancy Nancy)
  • Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!
  • Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas
  • Fancy Nancy Heart to Heart
  • Fancy Nancy's Elegant Easter
Fancy Nancy Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany