Start by marking “Fancy Nancy: Splendid Speller” as Want to Read:
Fancy Nancy: Splendid Speller

Fancy Nancy: Splendid Speller (Fancy Nancy)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  276 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Where spelling is concerned, Nancy is better than great—she's splendid! But when Ms. Glass's spelling test is harder than Nancy anticipated, the self-professed spelling prodigy faces a tough decision.
Published January 4th 2011 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Nancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fancy Nancy

Holly Letson
What the heck?!? Nancy admits that she cheated on the test, and the teacher praises her for it?!? I never had teachers that approved of cheating, while I was in school.
Dolly
Apr 16, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is another fun book in the Fancy Nancy series of books by Jane O'Connor. This story centers around a spelling test and Nancy's temptation to cheat. We've really enjoyed the books in this series. They have good stories, usually with a good lesson for children. And while the narrative is simple, some challenging vocabulary words are included to help readers learn new words. The words are explained within the story and there is usually a glossary of new words in the back of the book as well.
Angela
Best for kids ages 4 and up.
Early Literacy Skills: PrinteMotivation, Letter Knowledge, Vocabulary, Narrative Skills

From cover:
Nancy loves spelling. She can spell fun words like "happy" and French words like chien (that means "dog") and even long words like "splendid." But when Ms. Glass's spelling test is harder than Nancy anticipated, the self-professed spelling prodigy faces a tough decision that pits her pride against her principles.

Fancy Nancy series with information for parents about how t
Marcie
Dec 27, 2011 Marcie rated it liked it
Recommended to Marcie by: Broomfield new books
This really is a 3.5 for me because I almost Really liked it. I loved the first Fancy Nancy Book so much that I swear I read it to everyone. Unfortunately I almost feel like I did with the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie that we have too much of a good thing. Then I read this one and do see how it probably can find an audience (my own splendid spelling difficulty). I was especially intregued by the cover which said "pictures based on the art of Robin Preiss Glasser) and the explanation inside that ...more
Child960801
Sep 28, 2014 Child960801 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Nancy is a great speller but when the test comes she can't remember one of the words.
C Abbott
Oct 03, 2015 C Abbott rated it really liked it
I liked that even though Fancy Nancy was tempted to cheat she didn't.
Bonnie Arriola
Feb 11, 2015 Bonnie Arriola rated it liked it
Cute
Teri
Jun 07, 2011 Teri rated it it was amazing
We used this book as an introduction to a spelling bee. Now we're trying to be "splendid spellers" like Fancy Nancy by choosing a word to spell out of each story we read. Good readers are not always good spellers, but I think this idea of "couch spelling" is a really great way to help kids become more conscientious of word make up and helps turn good readers into good spellers. Plus, the book has a really good lesson about how bad it can feel to cheat.
Gretchen
Jul 25, 2011 Gretchen rated it really liked it
This is a great book for kids who want perfect grades and are really upset when they don't get them. Shows that the work you put into it is what is important, as well as your friendships. Also, shows how sometimes kids consider cheating beause they don't want to fail and how stopping yourself before you make a choice to cheat is good in itself.
Sheri
Nov 30, 2012 Sheri rated it really liked it
This is an early reader from the Fancy Nancy series. Nancy loves spelling and practices for her test but is tempted to peek at another paper. Then she feels bad and Bree her friend does the same thing. They are good spellers but they miss a word or two anyway. Nice life lesson on honesty and struggle to practice spelling words.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Jan 06, 2013 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it liked it
Shelves: series
So recently, my daughter has become extremely interested in Fancy Nancy. So, we have been reading some of the Fancy Nancy series. This series is lots of fun and all the heart warming moments are a nice touch to the rather flouncy, fancy moments.
Miri
Jul 01, 2016 Miri rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
There's an extra moral in this story, as Nancy is tempted to cheat on her spelling test and then feels guilty about it. I like the way it was handled.
Julia
May 17, 2016 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2015
What kind of absurdity is it that sad, peek, and giggle can all be on the same spelling test? GIGGLE? Poor Fancy Nancy. Cute book regardless.
Gail
Aug 10, 2012 Gail rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Better for a first grader and above where they would actually have spelling tests and know what they are. Not right for my 4 year old.
jacky
Aug 16, 2014 jacky rated it liked it
Shelves: lib-lew
I liked the plot about cheating and also about how thinking about doing something wrong doesn't make you a bad person.
Jaime
May 04, 2011 Jaime rated it really liked it
I liked the story and the spelling. My kindergartner, boy, got annoyed with it. My daughter liked it though.
Rachel C
Nov 13, 2012 Rachel C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Very cute level 1 reader, and my daughter enjoyed spelling along with Nancy & Bree.
Michelle
Sep 19, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: mariana
Mariana loves Fancy Nancy, and she really enjoyed this one before bed.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Dec 29, 2012 Kathy (Kindle-aholic) rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-readers
A good one to illustrate to the girlchild that cheating is not good.
Tam
Jul 20, 2014 Tam rated it really liked it
The cover said this book is recommended for ages 4-8.
Dannie
Jul 02, 2013 Dannie rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Dealing with issues of guilt
PWRL
Jan 22, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Dancingdiva
Dancingdiva rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Ioan Marginean
Ioan Marginean marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Lily
Lily added it
Aug 08, 2016
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
  • The Pinkerrific Playdate
  • Amelia Bedelia Makes a Friend
  • What Is a Princess? (Disney Princess)
  • Fred and Ted's Road Trip
  • Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs?
  • Can I Play Too? (Elephant & Piggie, #12)
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • A Balloon for Isabel
  • Bye-Bye, Mom and Dad
  • Biscuit Finds a Friend
  • I Can Do It Myself:  Featuring Jim Henson's Sesame Street Muppets
  • The Fairy Treasure Hunt (Scholastic Reader Level 2: Rainbow Magic)
  • Greg's Microscope
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Clear the Decks
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website
More about Jane O'Connor...

Fancy Nancy (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Fancy Nancy
  • Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy
  • Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly
  • Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • Fancy Nancy: Tea Parties (Fancy Nancy)
  • Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!
  • Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas