Start by marking “Amen, L.A.” as Want to Read:
Amen, L.A.

Amen, L.A.

When Natalie Shelton and her family move from Minnesota to Beverly Hills, more changes than their zip code. Natalie's mom accepts a position as pastor with the Church of Beverly Hills—and Natalie's along for the ride. Before she can blink, she's living in a mansion once owned by Ricardo Montalban, going to school with hot young Hollywood stars, and partying in the park wit ...more
Published July 12th 2011 by Ember (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Amen, L.A., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amen, L.A.

Kelsey
Jul 26, 2011 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-i-own, favorites
Confession: Ordinarily, I probably wouldn’t read a book like this one. It looks interesting, but there are quite a lot of books out there and—to the immense relief of my friends and family—only one me. As far as Book Darwinism goes, this one didn’t really stand a chance against some of the other goodies on my bookshelves.

But luckily for me, for this book, and for y’all, I know someone who worked on Amen, L.A. This someone gave me an ARC a week before asking me to lunch, and (Sigh) there’s this
Jillian Heise
Aug 17, 2011 Jillian Heise rated it liked it
Review originally posted on Heise Reads & Recommends

When Natalie Shelton's family moves to Beverly Hills from Minnesota, they don't really know what they're in for. Why the move? Because Natalie's mother is a well-known church pastor. During the family meeting to decide whether to go, Natalie is the only one who voices a no vote. When they arrive they find they're unexpectedly living in a former star's mansion, partying with kids who have very different values, going to school with Hollywood
Cheryl A
Oct 17, 2011 Cheryl A rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Author Cherie Bennett has a wonderful way of tackling the moral dilemmas of teens without resorting to melodrama. What she has previously done for weight and self worth issues and bigotry, she now does with values and faith.

When minister Marsha Shelton is called to lead the Church of Beverly Hills, the whole family packs up and leaves small town Minnesota. While the two younger children, Gemma, 15 and Chad, 13 are estactic about the move, seventeen year old Natalie isn't so sure. When the church
Heidi
Sep 30, 2013 Heidi rated it liked it
Even though the topic (conflict between wholesome Midwestern values and Hollywood-land materialistic-fame driven ones) was not of particular interest to me, I read this because I loved the co-authors' last book, A Heart Divided. But this one felt pretty flat to me. The combination of a too-good to be true family and the glitzy/empty/druggy life in L.A. just didn't appeal to either one of the polar sides of my brain. I yawned through the endless descriptions of the high life, and skimmed the earn ...more
Rachel Katz
Jul 04, 2012 Rachel Katz rated it it was amazing
This book shows how a small-town girl with good morals (Natalie) can get caught up in the drama of Hollywood. Despite her mother's position in the church, Natalie still manages to explore her own teenage dreams in this realistic coming-of-age novel. The issue of peer pressure is presented in a sensitive manner that will capture the attention of most teenagers. This book is impossible to put down!
Aug 27, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Overall a fast, cute, read. I've been a fan of these authors, Cherie Bennett in particular, since my teen years when Cherie's Sunset Island series was one of my favorites. The book is truly Beverly Hills 90210 meets 7th Heaven, with a bit more Hollywood thrown in. In other words, my dream life as a kid!
Carlye
Dec 15, 2012 Carlye rated it it was ok
It started off promising, but then the writing turned slow and simplistic about halfway through. I also got tired of the name and label dropping and the way the author would stop the story in order to shoehorn in some description.
Mrs. Nelson's
Jun 21, 2011 Mrs. Nelson's rated it really liked it
"Amen, L.A." is a Gossip-Girl-style expose on celebrity church life, following Natalie, whose mom has just been appointed the head pastor of the Church of Beverly Hills, and her not-so-saintly friends. Dip into this guilty pleasure!
--Review by Lauren
StorySnoops
Oct 06, 2011 StorySnoops rated it liked it
Although this book opens with a quick and nondescript scene in which Natalie loses her virginity before she moves to L.A., this is actually a pretty wholesome...(click here for the full review http://storysnoops.com/detail.php?id=...)
Liana
Sep 19, 2012 Liana rated it really liked it
This is one of my fave authors. I enjoyed this book. It was a throwback to earlier types of Bennett novels. Simple and fun but the writing is quality and there's some depth behind it that I really enjoyed. I'm looking forward to the next one!
Emma  Hoke
3.5 stars. A good,light read.
Andrea
Jan 08, 2015 Andrea rated it it was ok
Eh, picked this up in the YA section of the library at around 8pm while trying to kill time waiting for the library to close. Not a bad book, just in my opinion, another Chick Lit read.
Kristen Williams statt
Aug 06, 2014 Kristen Williams statt rated it really liked it
good YA read.
Brie
I won't rate this because I didn't complete the book. The story could not keep my attention nor could I connect with the characters.
Lauren
May 24, 2011 Lauren rated it really liked it
Really interesting concept and absorbing from the very first page - can't wait for the next book in the series!
Josie
May 10, 2013 Josie rated it did not like it
Not my favorite..
Lee Anne
Feb 16, 2013 Lee Anne added it
Shelves: dnf
Yuck! Ick! Not my kind of book AT ALL! Would not recommend to anyone
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2011
Andrea Ross
Andrea Ross rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2011
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Keri Hale
Keri Hale rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2011
Susanna
Susanna rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2014
Sarah Holmen
Sarah Holmen rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2012
Dalee
Dalee rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2012
Melissa Reynolds
Melissa Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2014
Jordan
Jordan rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Kristina
Kristina rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2015
Angelica Pena
Angelica Pena rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2012
Tatjana Reynolds
Tatjana Reynolds rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
  • Crunch Time
  • London Calling
  • The Night My Sister Went Missing
  • The Girls
  • Another Jekyll, Another Hyde (Another, #3)
  • Intentions
  • Three Quarters Dead
  • Right Where I Belong
  • Spellbound
A popular novelist, playwright, and newspaper columnist, Cherie moves effortlessly from genre to genre, writing powerful and entertaining work, whether in literary hardcover teen fiction, mass market paperback fiction, for the stage, film and television, and for her nationally-syndicated teen advice column.
More about Cherie Bennett...