Start by marking “Created, The Destroyer” as Want to Read:
Created, The Destroyer

Created, The Destroyer (The Destroyer #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,100 ratings  ·  114 reviews
When ex-New Jersey cop Remo Williams is electrocuted for the murder of a dope-dealing goon, CURE, a super-secret government agency that doesn't really exist, schemes to resurrect Remo as the ultimate killing machine that will carry out most of its dirty plans. Under the direction of expert assassin Master Chiun, Remo is transformed into the Destroyer and launches a series ...more
Published (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Created, The Destroyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Created, The Destroyer

Aaron
The 1971 novel which is the first in the long-running Destroyer series. Remo Williams, former Marine and cop, is convicted of a crime he didn't commit and placed on death row. A small conspiracy revives him on the other side of his electrocution and convinces him to work for CURE, a very secret government organization which tasks assassins with cleaning up those pesky criminals that make life difficult for average citizens. Remo is quickly trained by Chiun, elderly Korean master of the martial a ...more
Jim
The series now has over 150 books in it & any one of the books is fun, light read. The early books with Richard Sapir are quite entertaining. Sapir was a political columnist, I think & it shows in the tongue in cheek plots which make fun of everything, but especially pick on one current event or attitude per book. Around the 75th book or so the plots really lost their zest, to me. I quit reading the series on book #104.

The Destroyer is a New Jersey cop who is 'killed' & now serves C
Rich
I first started reading these books because I was a fan of the Executioner books by Donald Pendleton, and published by the same company--Pinnacle books. In the end I read them longer, and more regularly return to them. (I haven't read an Executioner or Mack Bolan title in about 20 years.)

The concept here is that the government is tired of being tied by the rules as they try to get the bad guys. So they create an organization called CURE, which really doesn't exist, to fight the bad guys without
Mike (the Paladin)
Back in the 1970s I was fond of what were then usually called :Men's Adventure Books". Today I suppose that would be considered Politically Incorrect. However I did enjoy them at the time...no apologizes here I also like double cheeseburgers, french fries and chocolate malts...not to mention the occasional beer.

Of late my attention has been drawn back to these old treasures of violent yet simplistic action by a younger friend here on Goodreads who has discovered them (thank you Frankie).

These bo
B. Jay
In the early seventies as Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris and a variety of martial arts schools and styles were emerging in popular culture, The Destroyer arose as a satire or perhaps evolution of pulp novels by combining the excessive violence and gunplay of book serials like the Executioner and merging it with the philosophy of Oriental fighting.
In this first novel Remo's teacher Chuin had not yet rose prominantly as a lead character, figuring in rather exactly as Yoda does ten year later in the Empir
Jasper
originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2014...

Last month I send out a media alert with an upcoming blog tour featuring this book, Created, The Destroyer. The Destroyer series was originally published back in 1971, and this year Little Brown and Co has decided to reissuing all the books published so far in The Destroyer series in ebook format. The series is written by Warren Murphy, who also wrote the screenplay of several movies likes Lethal Weapon 2, and Richard Ben Sapir who wr
Jaime Buckley
I wanted to read these books after watching the Remo Williams movie again. It was blissful.

I'll give this book (...and #2-#5) 2/5 stars because I'm torn between the story and the formatting of the eBooks for my Nook. The story is fantastic. Truly. Keeps my attention, makes me laugh. However, the formatting is SO UNBELIEVABLY BAD I can't honestly recommend it to anyone unless I'm recommending the printed edition. So, if you're thinking of getting a printed book...5 out of 5 stars!

I know Warren Mu
Marcus V. Calvert
An okay read.

Different origin story than the movie. I don't think it even synchs with the comic book.

There could've been more action and mayhem. But one has to remember that this book was written decades ago. What carries it are the tone, plot, and concept. They're woven together in such a way that you see a very gritty, realistic, dark world in need of a hero. But since there aren't any around, they send in Remo Williams.

Good thing is that I've got a bagfull of these puppies for Xmas. And I'm
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)

The Destroyer series is the bestselling series of over 150 books and with over 50 million copies sold worldwide, it continues to charm readers. Created The Destroyer is the first book in the series and features the ex-cop, Remo Williams. Remo is a cop who is very good at his job. Falsely accused, he is sentenced to be electrocuted but in a well planned series of events is saved by a secret government organization CURE for the explicit purpose of training h
Goldie
I haven't been accepting many books for reviews because of my very busy schedule, but Created, The Destroyer sounded too good to pass up. I love to read crime stories, and the whole plot just grabbed at me.

What I loved about Created, The Destroyer, was that it was fast-paced without skimping on the details. The storytelling was so fluid that I felt like I was a spectator right there in each scene, hovering out of reach. But despite the descriptive scenes, the story didn't feel too wordy. The boo
Book Addict Shaun
Given that the book was published so long ago I did have reservations about whether it had aged well. The new covers and repackages look fantastic but does the content match? Well yes and no. There are elements of a modern story here but it does feel dated at times, in terms of the writing and indeed the attitudes of some of the characters. That isn't a wholly negative thing though nor is it preventable.

I did like the premise of the novel and how it was brought about, I enjoyed reading about R
Diane Coto
Do you think we would ever become a vigilante society? CURE is a government ‘secret’ organization running outside the Constitution to ‘make things right’. They were looking for someone to perfectly meet their requirements – someone that wouldn’t be missed in society; someone strong; someone quick. They saw this in Remo Williams, a New Jersey cop. Remo’s actions in the death of a homeless man went quickly through the court system. He was tried and found guilty and sentenced to die in the electric ...more
Liz Wilkins
**Actual rating 3.5 stars**

So, a confession – I LOVED the now admittedly rather cheesy 1985 movie Remo, it was one of my favourites back in the day. Yes judge me all you like but I was unaware that there was actually a series of books attached to that – so when I was asked to take part in this blog tour I was intrigued to say the least.

So I dived into “Created: The Destroyer” and what I found was a short but sweet and HIGHLY entertaining read that had a marvellous mix of thrills, spills and iron
Miles
Originally written in the early 70’s Created, The Destroyer - #1 in the Remo Williams series – is a timeless classic and a book that will take you to the past without you actually realising it! Although bereft of mobiles phones, tablets and home computers the book effortlessly stands the test of time and is incredibly easy to devour. In a way it’s rather comforting to know that such a place existed, we are far too attached to smart phones these days and anything that allows a little escapism to ...more
Jillian Lopez
I swear. This book was SO hard to get into that when I reached halfway through, I simply skimmed through it just to get over it. I've heard so many good things about Warren Murhpy's books, like the fact that THIS particular book will be turned into a movie (which is actually true) and that Warren Murphy has sold 60 million copies of his books.

When I first heard of that, I thought this book was going to be as great as everyone says.

I was wrong!!

I don't think this book is for me. It's full of
The Crime Scene Scene
Created- The Destroyer is the first novel in The Destroyer series by author Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir. Former cop Remo Williams is on death row after being accused of murder. He has been severely punished for political reasons. But he is saved from death by a part of the CIA which doesn’t officially exist. He is trained as an assassin to work for the organisation as they have been granted the use of lethal force against members of organised crime. For his first case he is assigned to track ...more
Janet Emson
I received a copy of this book from the publishers and this is my honest review

Remo Williams finds himself transformed from street cop to death row inmate. He's been set up for a crime he didn't commit and doesn't know why. All he knows is that he's been sentenced to death and is sat waiting to be led to the electric chair. Things become even more mysterious when he receives a visitor just before his execution, providing him with the means of beating the chair. After avoiding death, Remo finds h
Carl
Read this years ago. Still great now.love this series featuring Remo Williams a cop framed for murder and bumped off in the electric chair.
Resurrected as a secret government killing machine!
Trained by an aged Oriental in the secret arts of death and destruction.
Remo takes on the enemies of America that normal laws cannot touch.
Full of violence and dark humour.
Excellent stuff.
Lynda
The beginning of a series of books that were meant to be a satire of the Executioner and other men's adventurer series that were popular in the seventies. I read the first one hundred of them, but have only been sporatic since then. After Richard Sapir passed away, Warren Murphy wrote them alone for a while. Then several other people "wrote with" him.
Barry Gibbons
I've grown up reading the Destroyer series, which I discovered through my father. I have enjoyed every single books in the series, and still go back to reread them all of the time. Also, Remo Williams, the Adventure begins, has always been one of my favorite movies!
Donald
Remo Williams - "a man who doesn't exist, for a job that doesn't exist, in an organization that doesn't exist." And he's promised, "terror for breakfast, pressure for lunch, tension for supper and aggravation for sleep." Nice, huh?

I loved the movie when I was 15, and I thought it'd be cool to finally read the book where it all began. And it was! You get the background of Remo, how he is recruited by CURE, and how he is trained. And you get to meet Chiun, Master of Sinanju! Though, in a strange o
Jay DeVine
This book has been in my top ten favorites since 1978 or 79 when I first read it. I own the first 120 or so in the series. Yeah, it's a long one. But they are generally a fun read. It's all about Remo and Chiun, baby!!
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
This is the story of Remo, a well respected cop who has been framed for a murder he didn't commit and now finds himself on the electric chair. Given a chance of survival by a mysterious monk with a hooked hand, he is now an invisible assassin for a company that does not exist.

This was originally written over 40 years ago and it has stood the test of time well. Now being republished for a new generation of readers, I was asked to read and review it. I thoroughly enjoyed this, it was a great romp
Kim
This is such a fun short story book series. I usually find them at powells for 2-3 bucks. Action, adventure, hilarity.
Charles
I really enjoyed this first one in the series. Made me want to read more.
Navaid Zafar
I used to read 'Tiger' an on going novel in monthly installments in a local mystery magazine that went on for decades. The story of Shahzad who was an ex-cop in the island state of Firdous and was then trained by Ooshaan, master of Sinanju to become a living weapon. Imagine my surprise when I discovered it was word for word translation of The Destroyer Series from English into Urdu. Reading the real thing now and having a ball. Didnt know the books can be so incredibly racist at times though.

I l
Priscilla
Jason Bourne, who?
Clearly, you haven’t heard of Remo Williams.

This is a really fast-paced novel that will satisfy mystery thriller buffs. I’m particularly in awe of the ending. It was short and professionally done. For me, this is the wow factor.
Created, The Destroyer

Full review can be found in my blog, Priscilla and her Books
Trent Zelazny
This was a lot of fun.
Balkron
My Rating Scale:
1 Star - Horrible book, It was so bad I stopped reading it. I have not read the whole book and wont
2 Star - Bad book, I forced myself to finish it and do NOT recommend. I can't believe I read it once
3 Star - Average book, Was entertaining but nothing special. No plans to ever re-read
4 Star - Good Book, Was a really good book and I would recommend. I am Likely to re-read this book
5 Star - GREAT book, A great story and well written. I can't wait for the next book. I Will Re-Read th
George
"Το τέλειο όπλο", εκδόσεις ΒΙΠΕΡ.

Αυτό είναι το πρώτο βιβλίο της σειράς Ο Εξολοθρευτής, όπου ήρωας είναι ο Ρέμο Ουίλιαμς, πρώην αστυνομικός, που από σκληρός άντρας μετατράπηκε σε έναν εξολοθρευτή, με σκοπό να υπηρετήσει για πολλά χρόνια μια μυστική παρακρατική οργάνωση, ονόματι CURE, που σαν στόχο έχει την εξάλειψη κάθε είδους εγκλήματος στις ΗΠΑ, χρησιμοποιώντας μη νόμιμα μέσα και βία, φυσικά.

Η ιστορία αρχίζει με τον Ρέμο Ουίλιαμς στην ηλεκτρική καρέκλα, λόγω μιας καταδίκης για ένα έγκλημα που
Pulp Magazine Aut...: The Destroyer 12 42 Jul 11, 2013 07:52AM
Remo Williams 3 13 Mar 11, 2013 06:16PM
  • War Against the Mafia (The Executioner, #1)
  • Jet (Jet, #1)
  • Cipher (Robin Hood Hacker, #2)
  • The Secret Life of Lady Lucinda (Summersby, #3)
  • Dead Man's Hand
  • Executive Actions
  • Crypto-Squad (Volume 1)
  • Callsign: King (Jack Sigler - Chess Team, #1)
  • Not Dead Yet
  • The Amun Chamber
  • Superbia 2
  • Pay Me in Flesh (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law, #1)
  • Vigilante (Dangerous Times, #3)
  • Tipping Point
  • Croaker: Kill Me Again (Fey Croaker Novels - Book 1)
  • Midnight Tribunal (Trese, # 5)
  • Crossed (Jayden Morrow Mysteries, #1)
  • Swan Loch
Warren Murphy (born September 13, 1933 in Jersey City, New Jersey) is an American author, most famous as the co-creator of The Destroyer series, the basis for the film Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins. He worked as a reporter and editor and after service during the Korean War, he drifted into politics.

Murphy also wrote the screenplay for Lethal Weapon 2. He is the author of the Trace and Digger
More about Warren Murphy...

The Destroyer (1 - 10 of 150 books)
  • Death Check (The Destroyer, #2)
  • Chinese Puzzle (The Destroyer, #3)
  • Mafia Fix (The Destroyer, #4)
  • Dr. Quake (The Destroyer, #5)
  • Death Therapy (The Destroyer, #6)
  • Union Bust (The Destroyer, #7)
  • Summit Chase (The Destroyer, #8)
  • Murder's Shield (The Destroyer, #9)
  • Terror Squad (The Destroyer, #10)
  • Kill or Cure (The Destroyer, #11)
Chinese Puzzle (The Destroyer, #3) Death Check (The Destroyer, #2) Mafia Fix (The Destroyer, #4) Dr. Quake (The Destroyer, #5) Death Therapy (The Destroyer, #6)