Start by marking “One Seriously Messed-Up Week in the Otherwise Mundane and Uneventful Life of Jack Samsonite (Jack Samsonite, #1)” as Want to Read:

One Seriously Messed-Up Week in the Otherwise Mundane and Uneventful Life of Jack Samsonite (Jack Samsonite #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  242 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Our hero?
Jack Samsonite
His mission?
1) pass his GCSEs
2) get the girl (to notice he exists)
3) survive the week without a serious face punching
Good thing he’s got a plan. Well, half a plan…

In the last seven days, Sam, aka Jack Samsonite, has fallen for a girl, is plagued by raging teenage lusts and very nearly gets killed by an extremely unlikely cause.

Very funny, and pretty
Published June 2nd 2011 by Atom Books

Be the first to ask a question about One Seriously Messed-Up Week in the Otherwise Mundane and Uneventful Life of Jack Samsonite

Amy Plum
I laughed until I cried so many times while reading this hilarious debut novel by my fellow Atom author, Tom Clempson. My husband kept looking at me weirdly as I snorted and guffawed my way through the book, until finally I broke down and read him a passage. We both had tears in our eyes as I tried to make it through without hyperventilating.

It's gross (in an inside-a-15-year-old-boy's-head way). It's touching. It's really really funny. I was cheering for Sam/Jack the whole way through, as he t
Joanne
May 31, 2011 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-contemporary
I first heard about this book in November 2010 at the Atom Blogger Party. All I really remember is thinking the title was incredibly long, that it was a boy's book, that at least one of the Atom people thought the author was pretty good looking, and that it was different from what Atom normally publishes because it isn't fantasy. I was intrigued as boy's books are generally pretty funny and it was new for Atom, but the words "Mndane and Uneventful" made me slightly doubtful. Either way, it wasn' ...more
Andrew
Apr 09, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it
I want to say something before I go any further with this review: I didn't like school. I don't look back on my secondary school years with love. Actually, I prefer to pretend those years didn't exist (though, not my college years. I actually quite like those years). So, when I get books which are "Secondary/High School" book (no magic, vampires, mystery, horror), I usually stay away from them.

So, why haven't I ran away from this book screaming? Well, two reasons. First, I became friends with t
Ellen
Jun 20, 2015 Ellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
Our hero Sam (or Jack as he has decided to call himself) is writing a diary for a week as a school project. His goals for the week are to study for his exams, get the girl and to avoid being beaten up but that's going to be a lot more complicated than it sounds.

I don't even know where to start with this review - sometimes you come across a book that is just so much fun to read that you don't want it to end and One Seriously Messed-Up Week in the Otherwise Mundane and Uneventful Life of Jack Sams
Rhys
Mar 13, 2013 Rhys rated it it was amazing
This review was originally posted on ThirstforFiction.com

Introducing: Jack Samsonite, a nearly-16 British teenager. His mission: to pass his GCSEs, pull the girl of his dreams, and not get beaten up. Wish him luck.

Diary-style novels are always hard to review. Always. Take a look at the other reviews I have made of books like Spud and Adrian Mole – they’re short. It’s very hard to comment on a diary, for me at least. So I shall do my best with One Seriously Messed Up Week in the Otherwise Mundane
Viola
Mar 21, 2014 Viola rated it it was amazing
Easily the funniest book I read in a while. It also begins and ends with the word "nob-ache", so that's a thing. A quick, easy and enjoyable read for people who like (reading about) hormone-ridden, ridiculous situations and juvenile humor.
Caroline Doab
Feb 14, 2016 Caroline Doab rated it liked it
Ok i know this is a YA book, and i love YA books, this one however i found extremely annoying, the parts of the book that actually tell the story was really good but the other parts that are done in Film scripts and bios, i really disliked, im not sure what it was about them but i feel like they just hindered the story, if i was a 14 year old boy i would have found this hilarious, so if you have a young teenage child or member of your family is of that 14-17 yr age range they will love this book ...more
Olivia J
Jul 03, 2011 Olivia J rated it it was amazing
This book was so good that I can’t put a description into words. You just need to read it. I could not stop laughing and finally felt like for once an author really successfully wrote and mastered the mind of a teenager.

Best book I have read in a long time.
Elm
Jun 14, 2015 Elm rated it it was amazing
I can safely say that this is the first book that has had me on the floor, sobbing with laughter until I nearly choked.

I bloody love Tom Clempson. In fact I stayed up until about 2 o'clock in the morning, reading this book. I couldn't stop.

The ending was literally the best thing I have ever read - or that I've read in a while. Jack is SO, SO stereotypical, but he is the funniest and most relatable character I've come across.

I recommend this book. If you want to laugh, read it. If you want to enc
Serendipity Reviews
Jun 15, 2011 Serendipity Reviews rated it really liked it
In fact, I found this book surprisingly tamer than the Inbetweeners, which is a good thing, because I really don't think it should be compared as they are both different and originally brilliant in their own ways. I actually thought Jack reminded me more of a cooler, more modern Adrian Mole and a character I probably would have wanted to hang out with a school.

Our hero of the book Sam Taylor, who has renamed himself Jack Samsonite for his school project has three aims for the week. Firstly he
Bungle Midnight Reads
May 31, 2015 Bungle Midnight Reads rated it it was amazing
Funniest book I have read this year!! Laughed so much I got some strange looks from friends and family.

Our hero?
Jack Samsonite
His mission?
1) pass his GCSEs
2) get the girl (to notice he exists)
3) survive the week without a serious face punching
Good thing he’s got a plan. Well, half a plan…

I really enjoyed this book!! From start to finish! This book took me out of my comfort zone, I don’t usually like books that are diary based but this book is so much more than that! Sam aka Jack is writing down
Mieke
Jul 20, 2014 Mieke rated it really liked it
I don't usually read this genre, but I really enjoyed this book!! The story was very well told and the unique British humor and word-use was HILARIOUS! I actually couldn't put it down when I started it. This is definitely a must read if you are in the mood for a light hearted comedy! Plus I really liked all the made-up words!
Hayley
Jun 07, 2011 Hayley rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned
One Seriously Messed-Up Week is an ideal read for older fans of Diary of a Wimpy Kid for its similar wry humour and inclination for misadventure.

Written in the form of an English assignment, it details the adventures of a charismatic British teenager as he attempts to thwart the bad guy and get the girl, managing to be just so darn likable in the process.

While the teen boy subject matter has been compared to the TV show Inbetweeners, Jack Samsonite stands apart in that he's not nearly as repel
Rebecca
Jan 25, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I picked this up because I saw it was marketed at boys, and I am always curious to see what books there are for teenage boys which aren't fantasy - and I thought it was excellent. I wasn't really sure what to expect, as I knew I probably wasn't the intended audience, but the lead character, Jack/Sam, was written so well and realistically that I spent half the book thinking "that is so true!" and the other half laughing. The everyday scenarios, such as Jack/Sam being a drifter between two groups ...more
Issy Britton
Aug 19, 2012 Issy Britton rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely fantastic. Funny, witty banter that really had me engaged. I wasn't quite sure where the story was going to be quite honest until the note-swapping part. The mcdonalds car park section really was fantastic, I absolutely loved it (but felt really bad for jack at the same time). The ending was actually quite shocking and I really didn't see it coming - at all. Even so it was a great way to end the book. Words don't describe how much I recommend this to those who love the i ...more
Fell
Jun 12, 2015 Fell rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!
The main character is so funny and the writing is just hilarious!
I laughed out loud several times while reading this book so if you're looking for a funny book this is my recommendation.
HG
Jun 07, 2012 HG rated it really liked it
My first attempt to go beyond the established humour authors almost stopped in the first chapter. However, one I got over the “nob” shock factor, the story of sixteen year old Sam showed potential. I laughed at different episodes and think it would have reasonable appeal to a teenage (male) audience. It is light weight, but I found the premise of Sam writing a story (as Jack Samsonite about his week) for his English teacher and yet including a twist in the end, appealing. It has some of the iron ...more
Rashi
Jul 14, 2015 Rashi rated it it was amazing
Just, please. Pick it up. You will not regret it.
Megan
Feb 04, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it
This book had me laughing so much! Really good light reading, could just dip in and out as I pleased!! I think teenage boys would probably enjoy it too xD
Brandon Grove
Aug 19, 2011 Brandon Grove rated it it was amazing
Tom Clempson
i went to the same school as him but in a different building as our school had two buildings but it was a great read and really funny but i think people on the bus thought i was mental as i was sat there laughing so much at nothing but a book but really a good read and would recommend it to any young adult.
Faith
Jan 09, 2014 Faith rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Cracked me up. Although, didn't know what nob was so I googled nob and now I am eternally scarred. Thank you google images.
Michaela
Aug 24, 2011 Michaela rated it really liked it
In the space of a week, Jack must find a way to get the girl he's adored for years whilst also getting himself out off the beating of his life.

This book was hilarious. I laughed out loud so many times even my cats were giving me funny looks. It's like an Adrian Mole book but more vulgar.
Kirsty (overflowing library)
This book is actually brilliantly written with regards to characterisation. The author captures that awkward teenagerness perfect. Unfortunately for me it is a bit too realistic. I deal with this all day at work I can't be doing with more while i'm at home!
Robyn Drummond
Mar 20, 2012 Robyn Drummond rated it really liked it
Cannot describe how much laughing I did throughout this book! I was sat with my boyfriend and I was basically reading it to him! Absolutely hilarious. Gave me a great insight into the mind of teenage boys. A bit late though! Haha.
Claire
Aug 01, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011
I absolutely adore this book, it has such a great narrative. Jack is such a normal boy and like normal girls. It make me laugh out loud and just was charming to read. Such a great contempory novel! I can't wait to read more!
Rosie Pearson
Jul 11, 2013 Rosie Pearson marked it as to-read
Shelves: summer-tbr-pile
The person who wrote this went to my high school and the whole book is based around it I flicked thought the first few pages and was like wow I know Tom I know it's great calling teachers by their first names !!!!
Apr 23, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Such a brilliantly rude, laugh out loud book. Bring on book 2. No - now. Bring it on now. I am overwhelmed with desire to read it. ps I am neither young nor male.
Empire of Books
Jun 19, 2011 Empire of Books rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, fun little book. So many laughs right from the very first page. Just what I needed right now!! Cannot recommend enough. (full review coming soon!)
Leo  E-M
Jun 27, 2013 Leo E-M rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I can not put down I have still not finished it but so far it is really great reading about someone else's life instead of my own
  • Have a Little Faith (Faith, #1)
  • OMG! Is This Actually My Life? (Hattie Moore, #1)
  • Della Says: OMG!
  • Wasted
  • Pretty Bad Things
  • serafina67 *urgently requires life*
  • The Private Blog of Joe Cowley
  • The Witch of Turlingham Academy (The Witch of Turlingham Academy, #1)
  • Naked
  • Inside My Head
  • When I Was Joe (When I Was Joe, #1)
  • Kiss, Date, Love, Hate
  • The Truth about Celia Frost
  • Being Billy
  • My So-Called Phantom Lovelife (Afterlife, #3)
  • Денискины рассказы
  • Angel's Fury
  • Immortal Remains (Weirdsville, #2)
Author of the Jack Samsonite books.
Sniffer of windows.
Father of two.
Husband of one.
Allergic to nuts.
Not allergic to pebbles.
More about Tom Clempson...

Jack Samsonite (2 books)
  • One Seriously Messed-Up Weekend in the Otherwise Un-Messed-Up Life of Jack Samsonite (Jack Samsonite, #2)

“Hi!'

The chirpy little voice greeted me with such energised enthusiasm it made me jump nearly a foot out of my seat. I turned around, expecting to see the usual cocky little Bezzer-in-training Tyler, who every once in a while enjoys pissing off as many people on the bus as possible, but to my surprise it was the scruffy little quiet Year 7 who sits at the front of the bus with his big orange hair bouncing around.

'Hello,' I replied dubiously. (You can't assume that a kid isn't intending to give you grief just because he has ginger hair, not these days. What is the world coming to?)”
2 likes