Christmas in High Heels (A High Heels Mystery, #3.5)

Christmas in High Heels (High Heels #3.5)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  1,731 ratings  ·  116 reviews
ebook
Published November 13th 2010 by Gemma Halliday

Val Pearson
I always love me some Maddie and Jack! I just have to chuckle at this short story. Maddie and Jack have always been my favorite characters and we get a short glimpse into their rather odd Christmas Eve. One unique and colorful character after another interrupts their romantic night alone and poor Maddie and Jack, they just want a night alone. Is that too much to ask for? Well of course it is if Gemma Halliday is writing you as a character in another laugh out loud story. I had to laugh at Mrs. R...more
Dalene
Original review posted at A Date with a Book

This was a cute novella. A little short, but since I got it as a free download, it was fine. It’s Christmas Eve and Maddie and Jack are just trying to have their time together. There are visits from Marco, Mrs. Rosenblatt, and Dana. It’s a fun read for the holidays, especially if you already know about all the characters who are visiting.

If you are able to get this as a free download and enjoy the little series, I would definitely recommend the quick...more
Candy
So, my book club always picks something random for our December book that's holiday-related. Someone chose this short story (woot, we're all busy in December so short book=good choice).

Ummm... I'm not even sure if this qualifies as a short story. It was more like a scene from a book. There's no time or effort to connect with the characters or their lives. There's really nothing here.

I think this really only will work for you if you read the rest of the series or have any idea of who the characte...more
Meredith Kaupp
I'm really not a fan of short stories, so I was irritated when this one really turned out to be about 37% the actual story and the rest a preview of another book. The advertisement should NOT be longer than the "book" you paid for (even if it's only 99 cents).
Home. Love. Books.
I don't read a lot of short stories and novella, mainly because I often feel like the stories don't give me enough time to really get to know the characters enough to really bond with them. But because I am familiar with the series and the character in it, I thought this short story would work for me. Unfortunately the story has literally almost no plot. It's basically about how she is spending her first Christmas with her boyfriend, and how people (secondary characters from the series) keep sho...more
Meg ♥
This is a one just because I feel cheated after buying it. Not that .99 is a big loss, but it literally was like 6 pages of text...about nothing.
Marla
Very short, a little weird and kind of pointless. At least it came with the box set and I didn't pay extra for it.
Ashley (Bookaholic Does Blogging)
Christmas in High Heels
Author: Gemma Halliday
Characters: 4 out of 5
Plot: 2 out of 5
Overall: 2 out of 5
Format: e-Book (on my Kindle)
Source: Purchased by Myself

Book "6" in the High Heels Series (Novella)

Description: (Goodreads) Fashion designer turned amateur sleuth Maddie Springer can't wait to spend the holidays with her boyfriend, LAPD Detective Jack Ramirez. It's their first Christmas together, and Maddie wants it to be perfect. But between her zany family and wacky friends, Maddie's having a...more
Linda
Gemma Halliday tells a hilarious tale as Maddie and her cop boyfriend try to spend Christmas Eve alone with a romantic dinner for two. They had dated for a while, but every holiday Jack's boss would call him in to work disregarding all her hard thought out plans. Jacked assured her that his boss was out of town visiting his mother and he swore work wouldn't interfere, then her mom called to see if she was going to midnight mass and the doorbell kept buzzing.........
Pattianne
Christmas in High Heels - High Heel Mystery Series #3.5 - (Jack and Maddie) sweet novella during the holidays, gift of trip from secret visitor.

Katherine
Very short story about Maddie and her boyfriend Detective Ramírez who just want a quiet Christmas Eve in, but get interrupted by repeated visits from people. Not much of a plot , but a quite realistic one all the same, as it's a situation many of us can relate to. The book did have me reading from beginning to end. Too short really , and the story could have been developed more, but good character development for the story length. Perfect for a quick Christmas read. Left me wanting to read more...more
Alisa Jenkins
Way too short even for a novella. I don't feel like I got any kind of story out of this. It was just Maddie and her man sitting on the sofa and getting interrupted by the doorbell. The only good thing was the present they got Christmas morning.
BJ
This is a short story I read on my nook. This was written as part of the High Heels mystery series by Gemma Halliday. It was Christmas Eve with Maddie and Ramirez. My feeling is these short stories and novellas are just too short. They are part of a series usually, but if you miss them, you haven't really missed much to add to the series. A lot of authors are doing these now and the cost is usually anywhere from free to $1.99. When I opened this on my nook, it said it was 120 something pages and...more
Isabelle
Christmas Love

It's a gift for those who loves Maddie, Ramirez and their friends and family.
Gemma Halliday brings back our favorite characters to some Christmas fun. It's a short story of love and bonding between Maddie and Ramirez. We also see all of our loving secondary characters in this short-story.
If you enjoy the holiday's spirit, you will love this one!
description
description
Paula Ratcliffe
Maddie wants to spend Christmas with her LAPD Detective boyfriend Jack, for their first Christmas Eve alone together. Everytime Maddie turns around someone as at the door wanting something from Maddie and when all the guests have left and Maddie gets back to Jack she finds him fast asleep.

The next morning the two find an envelope under the tree with tickets to Hawaii for a getaway for their first Christmas and they decide to skip the family Christmas dinner and go to Hawaii.

It was a cute introdu...more
Mary Havlovic
Very, very short story about Maddie Springer and her boyfriend Det. Jack Ramirez who are trying to spend their first Christmas Eve together but keep getting interrupted by family and friends. Moral of the story...if you want to spend time with that special someone, unplug your phone and don't answer the knock on the door. I thought the author might be trying to introduce her characters to readers who were not familiar with her books and story line. I thought the story was cute despite its length...more
Valerie
Jackie
My first venture into the world created by the author and I found myself chuckling with delight with each phone call and each ring of poor Maddie's doorbell. Apparently her track record for a romantic evening with her cop boyfriend Jack is destined to remain a failed dream once more. However all is not lost thanks to an anonymous Santa who gifts the couple with a trip to Hawaii. I laughed more than once at this short look into Maddie's life and now need to read some of the full length stories on...more
Alicia
This was free for kindle. It was a really short story. I didn't care much for spying in high heels so I don't know what possessed me to read this one. There wasn't much to this story. I think I'm done with this author.
Lillie
This little vignette just described two lovers attempt to have some privacy for romance and being continually interrupted. I was looking for Christmas stories, and this didn't qualify. Other than taking place on Christmas Eve, it was not related to Christmas at all--the same story could have taken place any day of the year. Secondly, Christmas to me is about the birth of Christ, not about having a sexual encounter outside wedlock. Other people find it more enjoyable.
Tarryn
This might have a higher rating if I had realized it was one of those in between installments of an established series. Alas, I did not and I was just left unsatisfied and bored. Not that it wasn't written decently, it was. And had I had more context, again, the rating would be higher. I think I might be redundant right now since its beating three in the morning. Anyway, maybe sometime I'll start the actual series, but for now oh well.
thegirlinpink
I really love the "High Heels" series but I was rather disappointed by this extremely short snippet. Though I will continue to read the series, this short story was a waste of time and money and it only got my hopes up for nothing. It was probably less than 10 pages long.

I blame myself for not reading the description a bit better. A call it a lesson learned. I guess I will just need to skip through the other "short stories" in the series.
Kelly
Uhh... I was mistakenly expecting more sex in this book. Or, you know, some sex. Does that make me a dirty, dirty person? Don't answer that. Anywho. This story was okay. I'd kill my family if I was Maddie, but I'm not so... yeah.

This book was a free Kindle download I picked up 11/10/12 for the Why Buy the Cow? reading challenge.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Erin
Short stories are good, this is really just a chapter. It would have been better if it were at least a little longer. Good thing it was free.
Florry
Wow! This is a funny–delicious short story, that definitely worth 5 stars.

It’s a smart combination of romance, suspense, humor and action, just right to warm up our Christmas spirits for the next period.

Once I start reading it, I couldn't let it down without finishing. I found myself laughing or whispering to Maddie “Shut the door!”

Wish to read more by Gemma Halliday and I thank her for the entertaining reading!
Nancy
Fashion designer turned amateur sleuth Maddie Springer can't wait to spend the holidays with her boyfriend, LAPD Detective Jack Ramirez. It's their first Christmas together, and Maddie wants it to be perfect. But between her zany family and wacky friends, Maddie's having a hard time finding alone time with her man. But come Christmas morning, this is one holiday she'll be sure to remember - naughty or nice!(less)
Kathleen
This is a series I have wanted to try for a while but unfortunately a short story probably was not the way to do it. There was absolutely no mystery at all. I honestly felt like the author put no effort in to writing it. I much preferred the preview of her new series Hollywood Headlines at the end and this is the only reason I would pick up this author again.
Rhonda
This short read by Gemma Halliday shows not everyone has that Norman Rockwell perfect Christmas. With her quirky family and one very hot Dectective by her side Maddie Springer tries her best to pull Christmas out of the dumpster. This story is a fun, light hearted read perfect for a cold night in snuggling by the fire. I throughly enjoyed this quick read.
Kaylan
I would say this short is par for the course of the relationship. I found it frustrating that nothing ever seems to go near the plan for this couple. Hoped the short would give a little more insight in to the relationship and not just one comedic error after the next...

Got the box set of 3+ short story for 0.99 on Amazon.
Michelle
I've read the other novels in this series and I'm sad to say that I was greatly disappointed in this one. There is no story to this. Why didn't Ms Halliday just add this to the beginning of her next novel in the series? A waste of time... I was looking forward to reading more about the two characters, Maddie and Jack.
  • Angel Be Good
  • Mistletoe Mischief (Romancing Wisconsin Series, #1)
  • Silver Bells
  • Death Benefits (Southern Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)
  • The Indie Eclective: The Halloween Collection
  • Dying For Danish (A Lexy Baker Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • California Schemin' (A Bree MacGowan Mystery #2)
  • The Secret Christmas Ciphers
  • Digging Up Death (Mari Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • A Cajun Werewolf Christmas (Stormy Weather, #6)
  • Seeing Trouble (Deadwood Mystery Shorts, #1)
  • Something
  • Deadly Business (Maid for Murder, #1)
  • Sunshine Hunter (Susan Hunter Mystery, #1)
  • Christmas in Venice: A Short Story
  • Hot Property (A Savannah Martin Mystery, #2)
  • Armed and Fabulous (Lexi Graves Mystery, #1)
119376
Gemma had a hard time figuring out what she wanted to be when she grew up. She worked as a film and television actress, a teddy bear importer, a department store administrator, a preschool teacher, a temporary tattoo artist, and a 900 number psychic, before finally selling her first book, Spying in High Heels, in 2005 and deciding to be a writer.

Since then, Gemma has written several mystery novels...more
More about Gemma Halliday...
Spying in High Heels (High Heels, #1) Killer in High Heels (High Heels, #2) Undercover in High Heels (High Heels, #3) Deadly Cool (Deadly Cool, #1) Alibi in High Heels (High Heels, #4)