The Mudlark

The Mudlark

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The only thing they have in common is their grim determination not to marry each other, but their fathers have them well and truly trapped. No matter how much they dislike each other, their only hope for escape is collaboration. And so together the concoct an elaborate scheme of their own, a double elopement, with a twist, so to speak... A Regency Romance in the Georgette...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Delle Jacobs (first published September 4th 2002)

RedRedtheycallmeRed
I've read several of Delle Jacobs' books and I think this was probably my least favorite (His Majesty, the Prince of Toads being my favorite). I liked Izzy, she was funny, sweet and brave. It was harder with Tristan, he was so unpleasant for so much of the book, I found it hard to believe Izzy was falling for him.

There was some good banter between Izzy and Tristan, and I liked his aunt Peaches. I found both of their fathers kind of baffling though, their behavior was just too odd.

This is a prett...more
Christina
This is the first book I've read by this author. It dragged somewhat in the beginning but about a third of the way in, my interest picked up and so did my pace. Some of the other reviews said it is predictable.... For this genre I think that they are predictable in that-they are what the are-a nice easy historical romance. That being said, I give this a higher rating than others in the same genre.... There was decent character development which certainly doesn't always happen.....and that defini...more
Kathy
I wasn’t sure what to expect with this $1 buy from Amazon. I love clean regency romance and after skimming the reviews it appears this would be just that. While it was fairly clean, it certainly pushed the limits. There were innuendos thrown in throughout and quite a few conversations centered on “marital relations”. Personally, I think the story could have done without. You can create romantic tension without all the innuendo.

Other than that, I enjoyed the story. I like the whole arranged marr...more
Jessica
Very good fluff read! Izzy is a lady unafraid of getting a little dirty while teaching her village children. One day, she gets particularly messy saving the life of a kitten. She goes home and runs into Tristan, a captain in the military, who is disgusted on sight of her. Their fathers are the best of friends and have decided that their children will be perfect for one another, even though they are already promised to others. Not wanting to be caught in their fathers schemes, they work together...more
Minh
Kelly Ann
Nov 29, 2012 Kelly Ann rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: regency romance lovers
I loved this traditional regency romance!! The hairbrained schemes, the true love, the adventure and all of the lovable characters. I couldn't put it down and for a free kindle book I was not disappointed at all. Though it was predicitable I believe that is why we read these kinds of novels....at least it's why I do. I also really enjoyed how the author got inside both the heads of Izzy and Tristin and gave their perspectives throughout. The story was very good and there was not one unlikeable c...more
Lola4
This was a fast, cute little Regency romance with no surprises and totally predictable. However, the characters were interesting--the kind-hearted heroine who cared not for phony social mores and the snobby, damaged hero, humbled by his disability and the heroine. The contrived elopement was a bit much and the stupid fishing side-trip way too much and the story really deteriorated during the excursion to Gretna Green, but overall this book was a fast and pleasant bit of non-nourishing, fluffy br...more
Shelley Hoerauf
This was a very fun, regency read. I enjoyed it very much. This is my first Della Jacobs read, I look forward to reading other works of hers.I originally tried it as it was free on kindle, it was a great introduction to this author. I enjoyed the characters very much & the way they interacted with each other. The whole story kept me entertained from start to end. I would definitely recommend this book if you like regency reads.
Nancy
Two wastrel fathers chasing the Arthurian legends planned for their Isolde & Tristan to marry. Two warring opposites (..."undress whites do have an uncanny affinity for mud, but I never expected a mud puddle to sprout legs and personally hunt me down.") found a way to meet in the middle!

Ann Mauren
I enjoyed this Regency Romance immensely. Delle Jacobs orchestrates a perfect weave of lovable characters, cleverly crafted plot lines and humorous, highly entertaining dialogue. The age-old notion of 'opposites attract' takes an unexpected and delightful flight in 'The Mudlark.'
Tasmia
I really wanted to like it, but the writing was too florid and sloppy so I had to give up on it a little less than halfway through. May come back to it if I'm ever overflowing with patience, or desperate for the central trope of love/hate conflict between childhood friends.
Caitlin
Cute story, if not totally original in its themes. The characters were likeable and I had no trouble identifying with them. The book itself was hard to put down. It's not an outrageously well-written book, but I'll probably add it to the re-read list.
Candi
This was a fluffy little regency romance and I liked it. it ended happy, there was kissing, and no one tried to teach me a lesson.

It looks like this author may write some racy reads, this one doesn't go beyond kissing, it was just cute.

Vonnie Alto
The reader won't be disappointed with this traditional Regency. It's an engrossing read with a tight plot and lots of conflict and humor. Izzy is a darling and Aunt Peaches is hysterical.
Elf Ahearn
As far as I'm concerned, The Mudlark is the perfect Regency romance. It has charm, wit and a great love story. Anyone who loves the genre will be head over heels for this book.
Julie Johnson
This was a fun Regency romance. Loved the dialogue. A bit silly in places, but sometimes that's perfectly fine and I don't mind it a bit! Enjoyable, light read.
Monika
Fun and light. It was very predictable. No surprises whatsoever, but the characters were lovable, and it left me feeling all hunky dory inside. Best of all it was free.
Anna
Cute little read. Humorous, fun. Well worth the bargain Kindle price.
Monica
Awesome, awesome, awesome. Loved these characters, loved their interaction!
Soccergypsy
Easy, nice, and enjoyable read. Laughed out loud while reading.
Susie
The least trashy non-Christian free Kindle book I've ever read.
Ashley
3.5 stars. Free on kindle. A fun and witty historical romance.
RIF
Already forgotten but not terrible if I recall correctly. Meh
brandi
Sweet regency freebie read with interesting characters.
Jenny
Jenny added it
Jul 27, 2014
  • The Hunger
  • Dandy Detects (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #1.5)
  • The Pursuit of Pleasure (Dartmouth Brides, #1)
  • The Tempest: A Gisborne Novel
  • The Deadliest Sin
  • Marry Me (Reidsville, #2)
  • Texas Hold Him
  • The World From Rough Stones
  • Bound by the Heart
  • Dawn of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #0.5)
  • In the Garden of Temptation (Garden, #1)
  • Gemini Moon
  • Whirl of the Wheel
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1)
  • The Mistress' House
  • Sunrise
  • Heir To The Everlasting
  • A Knight to Remember (Blood Sword Legacy, #3.5)
I write write write. Sometimes I travel. Then I write some more. And I have a great family who understand that I write write write.
More about Delle Jacobs...
Loki's Daughters Faerie Fire Dance His Majesty, the Prince of Toads Siren