Start by marking “Earthfall (Dinosaur Wars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Earthfall (Dinosaur Wars, #1)

Earthfall (Dinosaur Wars #1)

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  356 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Star Wars meets Jurassic Park as dinosaurs return to earth from space.
Nook
Published October 22nd 2010 by Hopp, Thomas (first published October 20th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Earthfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earthfall

Jurassic Park by Michael CrichtonThe Lost World by Michael CrichtonHorizon Alpha by D.W. VogelRaptor Red by Robert T. BakkerDragon Dawn by Deborah O'Neill Cordes
Best Dinosaur Books
47th out of 122 books — 190 voters
Horizon Alpha by D.W. VogelDragon Dawn by Deborah O'Neill CordesJurassic Park by Michael CrichtonThe Dinosaur Four by Geoff   JonesThe Lost World by Michael Crichton
Books involving Dinosaurs
12th out of 29 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Brian
Feb 16, 2016 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Conceptually fantastic, the execution not so much. I never thought a book about dinosaurs from the moon with fighting mechs could be simultaneously dull and too ridiculous. Some of the narrative shortcuts (a paleontologist learning all dinosaur language and customs from two days in a farm house pointing at picture books) are so nonsensical they take away from the fun, as well as a half baked romance.
MB Taylor
Jun 06, 2015 MB Taylor rated it it was ok
I thought the premise was interesting: advanced dinosaurs returning to earth only to find it invested with intelligent mammals. Even so I almost put it down in the middle of chapter 1; I thought I was reading a romance novel. Fortunately it morphed into an SF novel for 3 chapters. But then in chapter 5, we are returned to the romance novel. Once again I almost set it aside; I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with a novel that that 75% SF and 25% romance. I decided to stick it out, at least though th ...more
Arthur Pratt
A very light and easy read. The premise of dinosaurs fleeing to the moon, returning to earth, and launching an invasion takes a LOT letting go and moving with the story. My biggest problem with this book was a lack of continuity. There is a scene where our hero stops to fill his truck up with gas, but is unable to due to the power being out. He decides to go back to his lady love's ranch to check on her, even though he knows he will barely have enough gas to get him to the ranch, let alone a ret ...more
Dec 31, 2011 Good Reader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the Kindle edition of a book I read years ago. It is a fun read. The invasion of intelligent dinos from space takes some suspension of disbelief, but after that it's a thrill ride all the way! Important here are the young hero and heroine, Chase Armstrong and Kit Daniels, who seem to be falling in love amid the horrors of war and charging dinosaurs. After so many books that use foul language, gruesome violence and other hard-core tactics to get attention, it was really refreshing to find ...more
Darin Lisonbee
Fun but terrible dialogue (2.5 stars)

If you're just looking for something to have fun with this book is fine. If your looking for something with great dialogue and characters...move along.

*Spoiler Alert

The idea that dinosaurs or at least some species evolved past humans is not unique but an underdeveloped genre. I think it makes for a great starting point.

This book delivers well on that point.

But the dialogue! Good grief the dialogue! And even the inner thinking of the characters. One example
Gunnar
Dec 30, 2012 Gunnar rated it it was ok
Strange combination of wonderful imagination and cliche after cliche. Stock characters, none particularly deep, and none engaged me. Not a lot of understanding re military operations or strategy; the military treated as merely another stock character. The middle better than the beginning or ending, leaving me skimming at 71%. Oh, and they keep leaving people (and the dog) behind.
Robert VanAckooy
Aug 23, 2014 Robert VanAckooy rated it it was amazing
I didn't think that an idea of a Dinosaur based society of 65 million years ago suddenly coming back to take over Earth, was going to lend itself to a remotely believable tale. I was wrong. Somehow, this far-fetched idea works.

The main characters were believable and I found myself caring how they fared in this outlandish war. Humans take a major hit in the early goings and there were times I didn't think this "war" was going to last very long. There were some good dinosaur moments sprinkled in w
Brian Turner
Jun 08, 2015 Brian Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Dinosaurs - from - SPAAACE!

If you need more of a review than that, this may not be the book for you, but...

Technologically advanced dinosaurs attack earth from their base on the moon. They manage to take out most communications and ground based military assets.

Groups that managed to escape the destruction attempt to counter the threat, meanwhile the dinos' have started to reintroduce other species across the land.

The characters can be a bit flat in places, and there's a fair amount of deus ex m
Ashley
Aug 20, 2011 Ashley rated it it was ok
It was kinda strange. Dinosaurs from the moon coming and attacking earth. Maybe if it was treated like a joke...
Greg
Jun 05, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it
Bob Clarkson
Jul 22, 2015 Bob Clarkson rated it really liked it
This book could very easily have come from tho early years of Science Fiction's Golden Age.

Current and possible future science (I found the discussion of time as a variable and light "ageing" to be fun, entertaining, and plausable for a laymen like myself. A trained physisist might find the concept laughable, but it seemed good to me.
Bobbie
Jul 10, 2016 Bobbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Earth is attacked by dinosaur aliens who were here 65 million years ago. They bring regular dinosaurs with them. One is friendly. Too far-fetched for me. Love story between rancher's daughter and wildlife conservationist. Vegans will not like the story.
Copyright Jan 2011.
Mara Jule
Mary Lowd
Dec 03, 2015 Mary Lowd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is like a cross between Jurassic Park and Stargate. If you think you would like that, then you'll probably enjoy this book. I found myself skimming through the action sequences, but other than that, I found the story quite delightful.
Olethros
-Serie B agradable con sensaciones retro entrañables.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. Durante una misión cartográfica en la Luna, se hace un descubrimiento imposible. En Montana, y durante sus labores de seguimiento y control de la población de lobos en la zona, Chase Amstrong observa lo que parece ser un enorme transbordador espacial. Cuando trata de explicarle al Profesor Ogilvey su avistamiento, junto a la joven Kit Daniels, el científico le distrae con información sobre sus asomb
Paul
Feb 13, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
Granted this book is a cross between Jurassic Park and ID4 where space dinosaurs from the moon invade Earth, the book does pull it off in a believable way. The dinos are woken up after 65 million years by a team of nasa astronauts exploring a crater. The dinos jump on their death ray and start blasting military targets from the moon and then invade with T-Rexs and other meat eating dinos! The characters are well written and the action is paced well. It does get a little unbelivable (like dinos o ...more
R.L. Austin
Nov 16, 2011 R.L. Austin rated it really liked it
We aren't given the option of half stars, but I consider this review to represent 3.5 stars.

I was very excited when I read the preview of this book, and I was so anxious to read it that I took it on vacation with me. I finished the book during the return flight, and I will characterize it as a good story with a great concept behind it.

The first 2/3 of the book are the best, but it began to fall apart, at least for me, in the final third. The continuous last-second saves of the major characters a
Beth
Jun 03, 2015 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this story! Intelligent, talking dinosaurs...how awesome is that!?!
Dec 31, 2011 Good Reader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the older, paperback version I read years ago. It is a fun read. The invasion of intelligent dinos from space takes some suspension of disbelief, but after that it's a thrill ride all the way! Important here are the young hero and heroine, Chase Armstrong and Kit Daniels, who seem to be falling in love amid the horrors of war and charging dinosaurs. After so many books that use foul language, gruesome violence and other hard-core tactics to get attention, it was really refreshing to find ...more
Butterflyshines
Apr 06, 2012 Butterflyshines rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
This is an extremely imaginative book that I found myself being completely absorbed by before I was done with the first chapter! I love the creative and new ideas that Thomas Hopp uses in the book, my favorite being the use of dinosaurs.He uses them in a completely unexpected manner!
I could not put this book down and when I finished the book I wanted the story to continue!
I would recommend this book for anyone who likes fantasy, science fiction and dinosaurs or for anyone who just wants to read
Dec 31, 2011 Good Reader rated it it was amazing
This is a fun read. The invasion of intelligent dinos from space takes some suspension of disbelief, but after that it's a thrill ride all the way! Important here are the young hero and heroine, Chase Armstrong and Kit Daniels, who seem to be falling in love amid the horrors of war and charging dinosaurs. After so many books that use foul language, gruesome violence and other hard-core tactics to get attention, it was really refreshing to find an adventure story with such decent people at its he ...more
Rob
Apr 04, 2011 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This novel doesn't really break any new ground; in some ways, it's a redo of Larry Niven's Footfall, only the aliens are dinosaurs and Hopp has decided to shove a romance in. Hardly the 'heavy' sci-fi of Niven's novel, Dinosaur Wars is a light read, and if you're a fan of dinos-come-to-life-again and don't enjoy them being the results genetic experiments gone wrong, this may be for you.
Lou Yuhasz
Apr 17, 2012 Lou Yuhasz rated it really liked it
I got this book for the gloriously loopy cover and premise. Alien dinosaurs reclaiming the Earth from a secret moonbase? Sure, why not?

But I was pleasantly surprised. Hopp's love of dinosaur lore shines through, and he delivers a decent pulp adcenture. Characters ring true under the circumstances, and it's a quick, fun read.
Luis A. Vega Jr
Dec 17, 2014 Luis A. Vega Jr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jurassic Park from outerspace

This is was a fun read. I wasn't sure how the writer was going to pull it off but it was refreshing and unique. I like how the typical alien invasion, dinosaurs, end of the world like science fiction story came all together.
Ken
Mar 22, 2012 Ken rated it really liked it
This was an good book. I liked how the author introduced the characters and then integrated the story into their lives. As with most science fiction it makes you think and in some cases you have to suspend real world beliefs. But, overall an enjoyable story.
Catherine
A bit juvenile with stock characters -- feisty heroine, brave hero, crusty rancher, eccentric academic, evil military officer. Nevertheless, an easy and pleasant read, maybe because I loved the idea of dinosaurs returning to Earth.
Steve Davidek
Jun 27, 2013 Steve Davidek rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure what to expect but I liked it. I now want to get the rest of the books so I can find out what happens. The main characters make you want to care. Some of the plot points are a little "corny" but it works.
Addison
Jan 23, 2013 Addison rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
It was free on Amazon, so why not? An interesting premise, leading to a fun, quick read. A little shaky in places, but over all enjoyable. I mean who doesn't want to read about a Trex roaming Montana?
Emma
Dec 16, 2014 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story of re-awakened intelligent dinosaurs retaking the earth from humans. I plan to read the next two books in the series.
David
Sep 06, 2013 David rated it liked it
I did enjoy rhis far fetched tale.

While i really enjoyed it, it didn't grip me. Don't think I will read the others in the series.
  • Fossil River
  • The Dangerous Dimension
  • The Honour of the Knights (The Battle for the Solar System)
  • The Gateway (The Harbinger of Doom Saga, #1 novella length)
  • Right Ascension
  • Alpha Rising
  • Legend of the Chosen (Destiny's Kingdom #1)
  • The Ruins Of Mars (The Ruins of Mars, #1)
  • Seth and Chloe (Lunara Trilogy, #1)
  • Into the Abyss (Rogue Hunter: Gaia #1)
  • Dinosaur Lake
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins (First Light Chronicles, #1-3; Spinward Fringe, #0)
  • Timecaster Supersymmetry (Timecaster, #2)
  • Dawn of War (Blood War, #1)
  • Neptune Crossing (Chaos Chronicles, #1)
  • Smallworld
  • First Contact (In Her Name: The Last War, #1)
  • Voidhawk
Scientist and writer. Author of the Peyton McKean mystery series and Dinosaur Wars science fiction stories.
More about Thomas P. Hopp...

Dinosaur Wars (4 books)
  • Counterattack (Dinosaur Wars, #2)
  • Blood on the Moon (Dinosaur Wars, #3)
  • Dinosaur Tales (Dinosaur Wars Book, #4)