Full of Grace: Encountering Mary in Faith, Art, and Life

Full of Grace: Encountering Mary in Faith, Art, and Life

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Two thousand years ago, a girl from Nazareth was transformed by a simple “yes” into the Mother of God—the subject of sublime devotion, divisive controversy, and extravagant speculation. A mother and a virgin, a saint and a peasant, a woman both tragic and triumphant, Mary has held sway over the human imagination for centuries. Yet she has never felt as relevant to our ever...more
Published November 2nd 2010 by Random House

Jonathan Lopez
In the wide-ranging and lavishly illustrated volume, Full of Grace, architectural historian Judith Dupre — author of the best-selling Churches — examines the biblical role, theological importance and lasting cultural impact of the Virgin Mary.

The text is divided into 59 brief chapters — one for each bead of the traditional Marian Rosary — interspersed with full-color reproductions of great artworks like The Ghent Altarpiece, Michelangelo’s Pieta and Giotto’s famed frescoes at the Scrovegni Chape...more
Jeff Miller
When I received Full of Grace: Encountering Mary in Faith, Art, and Life I thumbed through it and though that this was a great coffee table style book. Full of beautiful pictures of a range of art concerning Mary from the early Church until today. The panels of information on the various pictures provided background information on the artist if known and what seemed to me mostly solid information on the art itself with some good insights.

For the most part the book achieves it’s purpose from a ar...more
Cathleen Falsani
Scared child.

Proud parent.

Beloved icon.

Soul sister.

In her startlingly beautiful new book, Full of Grace: Encountering Mary in Faith, Art and Life, author Judith Dupre uses each of these phrases to describe the Virgin Mary.

It is the last -- "soul sister" -- that sparked my imagination.

The Mother of God as friend had never occurred to me. Not in the human sense, at least.

Surely Mary is a spiritual companion and, in that sense, "friend," but when she walked among us, Mary was and had friends.

She al...more
Julie Davis
Just got this and have read the first chapter. Truly a gorgeous book about the Virgin Mary with an intriguing mixture of old and new art, excerpts from other writers about Mary, the writer's own reflections, and indepth looks at the art featured. Though it isn't written specifically for believers and has a variety of thoughts on Mary, it is obvious that the author has a personal connection to the subject.

Update:
I am completely in awe of Judith Dupre as I read a section each day of her look at M...more
Lucy Pollard-Gott
Beautiful and thoughtful book. Chapters are organized thematically, and each is highlighted by some unusual, judiciously chosen artwork, with interpretive commentary. One piece was the sculpture, Our Lady of the Angels by Robert Graham, which in turn led me to look up this book The Lady of the Angels and Her City: A Marian Pilgrimage. Dupre has a wonderful sense for architecture, iconography in painting, and the liturgical year from a Marian perspective.
Joshunda Sanders
The art in this book is beautiful and a lot of it is stunning. Dupre adds some great poetry and a lot of informative text about the relationship of other cultures to Mary, and enlightening information about some of her appearances around the world.
Lise
Read for our Advent book discussion group at church. Beautiful images and thoughtful essays on Mary and how we've responded to her through the centuries. A wonderful book for personal meditation and for groups to discuss.
Turknoys Demirkol
Turknoys Demirkol marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Baskintm
Baskintm marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Ngaio
Ngaio marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2013
Katie Pagan
Katie Pagan marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2012
Angela Sunjara
Angela Sunjara marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2012
Beverly Robben
Beverly Robben marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
204352
Judith Dupré writes books that bridge the worlds of art, photography, and architecture in ways that delight and educate. She has written several works of illustrated nonfiction that have been translated into ten languages, including Skyscrapers (Black Dog & Leventhal/ Workman, 1996); Bridges (Black Dog & Leventhal/Workman, 1997); Churches (HarperCollins, 2001), a New York Times bestseller;...more
More about Judith Dupre...
Skyscrapers Churches Bridges: A History of the World's Most Famous and Important Spans Monuments: America's History in Art and Memory Skyscrapers: A History of the World's Most Extraordinary Buildings -- Revised and Updated