Start by marking “Full of Grace: Encountering Mary in Faith, Art, and Life” as Want to Read:
Full of Grace: Encountering Mary in Faith, Art, and Life

Full of Grace: Encountering Mary in Faith, Art, and Life

Two thousand years ago, a girl from Nazareth was transformed by a simple “yes” into the Mother of God—the subject of sublime devotion, divisive controversy, and extravagant speculation. A mother and a virgin, a saint and a peasant, a woman both tragic and triumphant, Mary has held sway over the human imagination for centuries. Yet she has never felt as relevant to our ever ...more
Published November 2nd 2010 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Full of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full of Grace

Cathleen Falsani
May 28, 2011 Cathleen Falsani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scared child.

Proud parent.

Beloved icon.

Soul sister.

In her startlingly beautiful new book, Full of Grace: Encountering Mary in Faith, Art and Life, author Judith Dupre uses each of these phrases to describe the Virgin Mary.

It is the last -- "soul sister" -- that sparked my imagination.

The Mother of God as friend had never occurred to me. Not in the human sense, at least.

Surely Mary is a spiritual companion and, in that sense, "friend," but when she walked among us, Mary was and had friends.

She al
Jonathan Lopez
In the wide-ranging and lavishly illustrated volume, Full of Grace, architectural historian Judith Dupre — author of the best-selling Churches — examines the biblical role, theological importance and lasting cultural impact of the Virgin Mary.

The text is divided into 59 brief chapters — one for each bead of the traditional Marian Rosary — interspersed with full-color reproductions of great artworks like The Ghent Altarpiece, Michelangelo’s Pieta and Giotto’s famed frescoes at the Scrovegni Chape
Emily
Such a beautiful book about Mary and the Christmas story and how they manifest in art and poetry and architecture. A treasure of a book.
Jeff Miller
When I received Full of Grace: Encountering Mary in Faith, Art, and Life I thumbed through it and though that this was a great coffee table style book. Full of beautiful pictures of a range of art concerning Mary from the early Church until today. The panels of information on the various pictures provided background information on the artist if known and what seemed to me mostly solid information on the art itself with some good insights.

For the most part the book achieves it’s purpose from a ar
Julie Davis
Oct 16, 2010 Julie Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just got this and have read the first chapter. Truly a gorgeous book about the Virgin Mary with an intriguing mixture of old and new art, excerpts from other writers about Mary, the writer's own reflections, and indepth looks at the art featured. Though it isn't written specifically for believers and has a variety of thoughts on Mary, it is obvious that the author has a personal connection to the subject.

Update:
I am completely in awe of Judith Dupre as I read a section each day of her look at M
Amy Paget
Jun 13, 2015 Amy Paget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Virgin Mary—mythic, spiritually compelling, and intellectually fascinating—has captivated people for over two thousand years. In Full of Grace, Dupre offers a new twist on this popular subject, taking the reader inside Mary’s world in ancient Palestine and showing, equally, how thoroughly she inhabits our own, twenty-first century experiences. The book touches on Mary’s Jewish roots, her veneration by Muslims, and, as Our Lady of Guadalupe, powerful presence in Hispanic communities. More int ...more
Lucy Pollard-Gott
Beautiful and thoughtful book. Chapters are organized thematically, and each is highlighted by some unusual, judiciously chosen artwork, with interpretive commentary. One piece was the sculpture, Our Lady of the Angels by Robert Graham, which in turn led me to look up this book The Lady of the Angels and Her City: A Marian Pilgrimage. Dupre has a wonderful sense for architecture, iconography in painting, and the liturgical year from a Marian perspective.
Kathy
Mar 05, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
This book is a combination art book, history book and inspirational read focused on Mary Jesus's mother. It focuses on the different facets of Mary's life and how they are represented in art and how that reflects the understanding and piety of the times. There are artworks that are very recent and very ancient.
Lise
Jan 11, 2011 Lise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-group
Read for our Advent book discussion group at church. Beautiful images and thoughtful essays on Mary and how we've responded to her through the centuries. A wonderful book for personal meditation and for groups to discuss.
Joshunda Sanders
Nov 18, 2010 Joshunda Sanders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art in this book is beautiful and a lot of it is stunning. Dupre adds some great poetry and a lot of informative text about the relationship of other cultures to Mary, and enlightening information about some of her appearances around the world.
Tracie
Tracie rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2014
Douglas Donaldson
Douglas Donaldson rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2017
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2010
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Shireen Kathryn
Shireen Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2015
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Parisikudlak
Parisikudlak rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2015
Paul Krilivsky
Paul Krilivsky rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2014
Lily
Lily rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2010
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2014
Christine D
Christine D rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Libby
Libby rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2013
Anastacia
Anastacia rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2013
Morgiana
Morgiana rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Trever
Trever rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Judith Babarsky
Judith Babarsky rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Catherine M Olds
Catherine M Olds rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Bobbi
Bobbi rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2014
204352
Judith Dupré writes books that bridge the worlds of art, photography, and architecture in ways that delight and educate. She has written several works of illustrated nonfiction that have been translated into ten languages, including Skyscrapers (Black Dog & Leventhal/ Workman, 1996); Bridges (Black Dog & Leventhal/Workman, 1997); Churches (HarperCollins, 2001), a New York Times bestseller; ...more
More about Judith Dupre...