Felicità Emotiva

Felicità Emotiva

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Le emozioni stanno alla base di tutte le nostre azioni,

dalle più virtuose alle più malvagie.

Ci possono salvare la vita, permettendoci di agire in fretta, ma possono anche rovinarci per sempre. Senza emozioni non ci sarebbero empatia, compassione, eroismo, ma nemmeno crudeltà, egoismo o disprezzo. Indispensabile, quindi, imparare a conoscerle e trovare il giusto equilibrio....more
348 pages
Published May 2010 by Sperling & Kupfer (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Felicità Emotiva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Felicità Emotiva

Nick
Two of my heroes, the Dalai Lama and Paul Ekman, hit it off and decide to have a conversation that they turn into a book. All respect to these two extraordinary gentleman, but the book is not a success. The problem lies in the gulf between Ekman the scientist concerned about observable phenomena, and the Dalai Lama, concerned about human suffering. They don't really talk the same language, so most of the book is spent with these two giants circling each other trying to figure out a way to connec...more
Marshall
An interesting dialogue between a psychologist and the Dalai Lama. Books like this have been profliferating, and the end of this book helped me understand why. The Dalai Lama is fascinated with and devoted to scientific inquiry. Tibetan monks are now studying science as part of their Buddhist studies. In this book, he even goes as far to call himself a heretic because he is more devoted to science than Buddhist scripture. I don't think it's heretical at all--the Buddha himself warned his followe...more
Steve Greenleaf
Leading psychologist Paul Ekman received an invitation to a Mind and Life Conference with the Dalai Lama in 2000. He went because he knew it would it please his daughter, an admirer of the Dalai Lama. Ekman himself had no great knowledge of Buddhism and no religious beliefs or practices of his own. What happened as a result of this initial encounter changed Ekman's life, both personally and professionally. He hit it off with the Dalai Lama, experiencing a warmth and openness that affected him em...more
David
This is one of the best things I've read. It was interesting dialogue between two deeply curious people coming from two quite different directions. I had the sense that both wanted to understand the others viewpoint, and bring more richness to their own area of study. I appreciate the western skeptical approach along with His Holiness being willing to take on the traditional cosmology of Tibetan Buddhism. I feel moved and humbled. I think what touched me most was something that goes like, we are...more
Mary Overton
Ekman does most of the talking in this conversation between him and the Dalai Lama. Have some compassion & overlook Ekman's neediness, & many fascinating aspects of emotion/religion/meaning are explored.

"EKMAN: I want to raise the technical question of why it is that sitting every day and focusing your attention on your breath going in and out of your nose, why in the world should that help you with your emotions?
"I am accepting the idea that it does.... Each of these meditative exercise...more
Michelle Bourke
I loved the concept of this book: science meets philosophy/religion, and a meeting of two intellectual minds. I sometimes found the Dalai Lama's line of thought difficult to follow but I also felt that - this is likely simply a result of the Dalai Lama talking about highly complex subject matter in a second language. I'd find it fascinating to perhaps see a fully translated version of the Dalai Lama debating with another monk where the conversation and thought processes were able to flow more ea...more
Neperepe
Didn't get through the whole book....I usually have a policy about reading through even if I dont like it, but I just couldn't connect with the conversations. Ekman is obviously a very logical thinker and speaks scientifically and the Dalai Lama is a spiritual being speaking from his heart. I may not have read far enough to a point where they meshed these two amazing philosophies because Im sure there's a beautiful way of doing it.....Maybe, I'll pick it up again some day, and then again maybe n...more
Lizz
i had really high expectations but i found myself bored with really surface exchanges. i would have liked to hear more from the Dalai Lama but the other guy kept butting in and talked most of the book about defining terms. This book could have been a lot better.
Jason
While an intriguing conversation, I felt like Paul Ekman might be trying to promote his own research.

Dr. Ekman admits to being trained in Behaviorism (B.F. Skinner). Even though he later rejected it, this may explain why he doesn't have the common sense understanding that emotions communicate information about one's surroundings.
Myra
I wanted to really enjoy this book and be blown away by its contents. Sadly, I found the format distracting and the actual content only so-so. The book is much more Ekman's ideas with some commentary by the Dalai Lama.
Anastasia
The premier researcher into the biology of emotions, Paul Ekman, meets with the Buddhist leader, the Dalai Lama. They talk about the different views of human emotion.

After reading this book I have more optimism about where the human race is going. Science and religion CAN come together to help the human race mature and accept itself! I reccomend this book for those interested in philosophy, psychology, and serious reading. It isn't the easiest read ever, because there are so many details you hav...more
Kasia
What a wonderful insight into human emotions from western psychology and Buddhist perspectives. Interesting format: a conversation transcript with interwoven short articles on pertinent issues discussed by the two gentlemen. Good stuff. It is so very obvious that these two guys like and respect each other very much. It was interesting to discover how much of an inquisitive scientist and scholar the Dalai Lama is; I don't necessarily think of religious figures in these categories. Best of all, it...more
Sean Conner
Very good, relates and translates ideas between science and Buddhism very well.
Nubia
very refreshing. At times (especially in the first 2 chapters) it doesn't sound like a conversation, but it gets better. I have followed both authors separately and I was very pleased to have them working in the same project. Overall a good book.
Elizabeth
I often struggled with the ratio of Paul Ekman's speech to the Dalai Lama's. I felt that Ekman had a bunch of ideas he wanted to promote, rather than have an actual evolving dialogue. I wish there had been more information from the other side about Buddhist psychology and how it could help people in conjunction with Western Science. This book wasn't nearly as moving or as helpful to me as Destructive Emotions, one of the earlier Mind & Life conferences.

The side notes by Buddhist scholars an...more
This book is a dialog between the Dalai Lama and the author that provides insight (and scientific validation) to the benefits of meditation. The Dalai Lama's sincerity, wisdom, humor, insight, curiosity, and humanity shines brightly.

I found myself charmed, sometimes thrilled, often smiling while I felt a part of the conversation.

Tahleen
I really enjoyed this book, it helped me to see how I deal with my own emotions and gives not only a scientific reason but a Buddhist perspective on emotions like anger, compassion, etc. I would recommend reading this if you want to get a better sense of your own emotions and how you handle them, and also if you'd like to learn about ways to handle your emotions better (i.e. with less destructive results, mostly with anger). Plus the Dalai Lama is fantastic.
Jeremy Adam
I am adapting part of this book for publication in Greater Good. I wouldn't read this on my own time, but I'm glad that work is making me do it. The Dalai Lama is a fascinating figure in his own right, Buddhism is intellectually interesting to non-Buddhists, and Paul Ekman (whom I had the pleasure of recently meeting) is simply a great talker and psychologist. This book is turning out to be a very good primer on emotion and spirituality.
Touria

A good resource to reflect on how one has or doesn't have control over their emotions and temper. Where there is fear, there is also frustration, guilt, shame, lack of self esteem, possibility of dysfunction. One of the results is projection, blame, criticism, contempt...fear to acknowledge one's responsibility. Once you hit the stonewall (silence) that's the end of the relationship...regardless of its nature.
Crispy
I hoped to gain something from the conversation format, but the whole is distinctly less than the sum of its parts. The Dalai Lama and Ekman often talk past one another. The unfortunate result is less like a dialogue and more like two monologues on the same topic which have been clumsily spliced together. Ekman's lack of familiarity with Buddhism also slows things down considerably.

Will Jeffries
I enjoyed listening to this program. I discovered it by watching Paul Ekman's "Lie to Me" TV episodes - and did some research on him. I came across this recording and truly enjoyed soaking up the information. Richard Gere, the famous actor, is also on this recording. Lots of information to absorb - to must to list here for the viewers. Please listen and enjoy.
Mike
Most interesting concept I got from this book is Paul Ekman's hypothesis that while emotions are an obvious Darwinian tool for survival, moods are likely a harmful byproduct of evolution that we as a species, would be better off without. Emotions stir us into action that promotes survival whereas moods, which can be triggered by emotions,...
Paul
Thought provoking in the recognition that there is so much in science (both Western and Eastern traditions) that we can not yet fully understand..
Jaime
This book is really fantastic- science meets Buddhism. However with all of these books, it's easier to read them than to put them into everyday practice.

And apparently it gets hard to read them, as well. Finally finished this one last night. Dig it.
Deborah
This is a conversation between Paul Ekman and the Dalai Lama. I gave the book a 3, primarily because I find it difficult to read and absorb conversations. If I were using this book in a discussion group I would probably rate it higher.
Jim Parker
Another book that produces much food for thought and now has numerous bookmarks. I very much enjoyed this book because it ties together several of my interests, how to talk about emotions, nonverbal communication, and Asian religions.
Caroline
Couldn't get what the point of the book is. to be aware of emotions? so much focused on Ekman that the dalai lama feels like a foot-note (says 10 words to ekman's 100). Again, when it's all said and done, i didn't understand the point.
Seems like a great book, I'm on chapter 1 and find it fascinating. It seemed to have petered out after chapter one. I was disapointed to find it is a conglomeration of communications between the author and the dalai lama.
Karen
I enjoyed the perspective of listening in on the conversation between two serious thinkers. That also made it more challenging to read. I was especially taken with the Dalai Lama and his take on life and the living of it.
  • What the Face Reveals: Basic and Applied Studies of Spontaneous Expression Using the Facial Action Coding System
  • The Five Things We Cannot Change: And the Happiness We Find by Embracing Them
  • Turning the Mind Into an Ally
  • Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life's Most Important Skill
  • Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things
  • Awakening Joy: 10 Steps That Will Put You on the Road to Real Happiness
  • Joyful Wisdom: Embracing Change and Finding Freedom
  • The Mind's Own Physician: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama on the Healing Power of Meditation
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
  • Don't Bite the Hook: Finding Freedom from Anger, Resentment, and Other Destructive Emotions
  • The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace
  • The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
  • Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path
  • There Is Nothing Wrong with You: Going Beyond Self-Hate
  • The Monk and the Philosopher: A Father and Son Discuss the Meaning of Life
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the...more
More about Dalai Lama XIV...
The Art of Happiness An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama