Start by marking “Cujo” as Want to Read:
Cujo

Cujo

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  150,430 Ratings  ·  2,330 Reviews
Stephen King puts nerve-tearing teeth into the terror of man's best friend turning into the ultimate beast.With this warning, prepare to meet Cujo, a friendly, playful 200-pound Saint Bernard who chases a rabbit into an underground cavern.

When he emerges from the darkness, he is something else. Something that the men, women, and children of Castle rock, Maine, do not suspe
Library Binding, 304 pages
Published August 1st 1982 by Perfection Learning (first published September 8th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Cujo, please sign up.

Mariana Schneider No, Cujo is a very sweet dog until he becomes "bad" and it shows throughout the book. There are several parts narrated on his point of view that will…moreNo, Cujo is a very sweet dog until he becomes "bad" and it shows throughout the book. There are several parts narrated on his point of view that will make you feel sorry for him instead of hate. Makes me want to hug my dog.(less)

Dan
Aug 20, 2007 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog owners and claustrophobics.
I'm guessing that many of you own or have owned a dog at some point in your life. And, i'm also guessing that you'd consider said dog to be loyal to you and part of your family. So, I ask you, can you possibly imagine what you'd do if your dog went rabid?

Pooch would lose his appetite. Start to become easily confused. Tired. His brain would melt and with that he'd forget about you. Forget the loyalty and love he held for you.

He'd feel intense pain.

In his eyes YOU would become the reason that he f
Lyn
Feb 18, 2016 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writing a review about Cujo is a little like reminiscing about being a teenager and listening to Black Sabbath.

Trying to describe it, and to put the experience in words, reveals the cartoonish elements in stark relief. But while being read, the novel is rich with storytelling and more complex than would seem on it's surface.

Yes, it's about a town that gets eaten by a big, rabid dog, but King is able, and with some credibility, to tell a tale of modern paranoia and suspense, with elements of ho
Edward Lorn
Nov 17, 2014 Edward Lorn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperbacks
Cujo is a hard book to read. It's a short book, but there are certain scenes that just gut me. And all those sections occur in the last 25 pages of the book. The first half of this book goes by rather quickly. Then Donna and Tad get stuck out at Camber's place and I simply do not want to continue reading. The first time I read this book was after having watched the movie. Cool enough flick. Slasher film with a dog instead of a masked killer. Survivor is the woman and her son. Rock on. I don't li ...more
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 23, 2015 Nandakishore Varma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Even though I don't think it will spoil your reading experience, I have to warn you that there are mild spoilers ahead.

I wrote in my review of The Shining that it was the scariest book that I ever read. Well, that may be, but there the horror ended when I closed the book.

With Cujo, it started then...

--------------------------------------------------------

Every child is afraid of the monster that creeps upon him when the lights are out in the bedroom and mom and dad are safely ensconced in their
Kandice
Jul 12, 2016 Kandice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is terrifying. More so because the important events in the story could all actually happen. They are real possibilities. This story would not work in today’s age of cell phones and constant communication, but for anyone with a memory of the way things used to be, it reads as all too possible. On a personal note, I have always kept a small box of water bottles and snacks in my car since learning to drive because of THIS book.

Any true King fan knows how he loves to tie his novels togethe
Mike (the Paladin)
Jun 05, 2013 Mike (the Paladin) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gag.

I thought about just leaving that one word as my review. Or maybe adding "'nuff said" as they used to say in Marvel Comics when I was "younger". I thought maybe though you'd like more.

I hate it. This is one of those books I can't say enough about...enough bad that is. You like being depressed? You like looking for the worst? Your real life doesn't have enough CRAP happening in it so you want to add more??? Well, then you've found it. If you are the kind of person who says that novels should
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
I guess I'll stick with my original 3-star rating. This almost feels like it should have been a novella. There isn't quite enough meat here for a full-length novel. By the end, I just wanted it over and stopped caring about the switches back and forth between town members who weren't even in town during Cujo's rabid attacks (but are partially indirectly responsible).

However, Stephen King is really good about keeping you interested in various types of gray characters. Some of them are just cut an
Martin Rondina
Jul 18, 2016 Martin Rondina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cujo...Cujo... mi tan subestimado Cujo!

Cuando empecé a leer esta novela, leí mas criticas negativas que positivas. Hacía rato que quería comenzar a leerlo, pero no me animaba por los comentarios de los lectores (grave error). ¿Qué decir de esta novela? bajo mi punto de vista, solo una palabra la define: "EXCELENTE". Un libro que va más allá de una trama lineal, nuevamente nos encontramos en el maravilloso Castle Rock, Maine, creado por Stephen King. Acá no conoceremos la historia de un perro rab
Ruth Turner

Audiobook – Narrated by Lorna Raver – Average narration.

This is my first experience with Lorna Raver and I didn’t particularly like it.

I don’t often enjoy female narrators, and Raver was no exception. I found her pacing to be slightly off and her character voices grating. I didn’t finish it.

***

Ebook:

The formatting in the ebook I have is horrendous. Incorrect words, missing letters, an absolute nightmare!

This is only the second time I’ve read this book, and that’s one time too many. After the fi
Stepheny
Mar 19, 2014 Stepheny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King never lets me down. Everything he writes just works for me. Cujo was no different. This book scared the bejesus out of me, mostly due to the chances of it happening. Granted, in today’s world with smart phones and nosy neighbors and everyone living on top of one another, it is less likely for it to happen… but it could happen…

Every single character in this book is a victim. Every. One. How does that happen? How is no one the hero? Or the winner? Everyone lost in this book. Even Cujo
Paula
Jun 20, 2016 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, stephen-king
Cujo gets bitten by a rabid bat and the big friendly lovable Saint Bernard turns into a murderous beast. I really enjoyed this one a lot. I loved that Cujo's point of view was included. I couldn't help but feel for Cujo with all that happened to him due to circumstances beyond his control. I liked the small town setting of Castle Rock, Maine. The story was very atmospheric with an underlying tone of dread and apprehension throughout. Exciting, engrossing, bleak, sad, and very enjoyable.
Jessica Phillip
Nov 28, 2007 Jessica Phillip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephen King fans
Cujo slept.
He lay on the verge of grass by the porch, his mangled snout on his forepaws. His dreams were confused, lunatic things. It was dark, and the sky was dark with wheeling red-eyed bats. He leaped at them again and again, and each time he leaped he brought one down, teeth clamped on a leathery, twitching wing. But the bats kept biting his tender face with their sharp little rat-teeth. That was where the pain came from. That was where all the hurt came from. But he would kill them all. He
Zack
Dec 13, 2007 Zack rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Oh I don't know
Damn this is not what everyone said it would be! I appreciate good suspense, but trust me, after 50 pages in that frickin' car, you get pretty bored.
It started out awesomely, with Cujo getting bit and going slowly rabid. He kills a few, and then I said, "Yes! Here comes the good part!" but that was the end of the good part. It became such a boring book, it was hard to get through.
The sideplots were lacking, especially the cereal crap. I was sick of business. Where's the suspense? I could've pick
Michael
In many ways, Cujo is the animal equivalent of The Shining. In The Shining, it's Jack Torrance going mad and inflicting reign of terror upon victims in an isolated location. In Cujo, it's a 200 pound St. Bernard, bitten by a bat and gone slowly mad due to rabies infection who becomes a killing machine and inflicts a reign of terror upon victims in an isolated location.

And while most of Stephen King fans will agree that The Shining is the better novel, I think a lot of King fans are too quick to
R.a.
Apr 30, 2015 R.a. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fic-gen, fic-horror
4.25 stars.

Note of Caution: If dogs endear you, you will find such pain and sadness with this novel. Fair warning.

The Richard Bachman novel writing appears to have affected, consciously or unconsciously, the Stephen King novel writing as King writes less “horror” story here and more social commentary. And, as Firestarter explored father-daughter relationships, Cujo marks a return, (The Dead Zone) to explore mother-son relationships.

Shedding larger governmental plots and Machiavellian schemes, Ki
Jason P

I'm a pretty new animal/pet lover, I got my first dog last year around September, and after reading this book I felt for poor Cuje.
I remember watching the movie when I was a kid, being scared of ugly, mangy ol' Cujo, always waiting for him to jump out and get another victim.

But this time around, not so much. I not only felt bad for poor ol' Cuje but I actually wanted him to come out on top in the end (inside I knew he wouldn't but you can't blame a guy for wishing). Towards the end of the book I
Bonnie
‘It would perhaps not be amiss to point out that he had always tried to be a good dog. He had tried to do all the things his MAN and his WOMAN, and most of all his BOY, had asked or expected of him. He would have died for them, if that had been required. He had never wanted to kill anybody. He had been struck by something, possibly destiny, or fate, or only a degenerative nerve disease called rabies. Free will was not a factor.’

Cujo is a seemingly simple story minus all the supernatural thrill
Jon
Oct 15, 2011 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Visceral, raw. In this 1981 novel, King reaches for the reader's jugular and never lets go. You have a cheating wife, a workaholic husband, a fearsome child who believes a monster lies waiting in his closet, a raging mad sex-fiend who vows to tear a family apart, an abusive and alcoholic husband, an emotionally and physically tortured wife, a confused little boy...and then you have Cujo, a friendly, gently, hulking St. Bernard who's been the victim of a nasty bat-bite. Before long, all of these ...more
Stephen
2.0 stars. I have three general categories of Stephen King books. One is the truly exceptional (e.g., the Dark Tower series, the Stand and Night Shift). A second group is a large category that includes the solid to excellent books that were definitely worth reading (e.g., Firestarter, the Dead Zone, It and the Shining). The final group includes those books ranging from the not so good and sub-par to the "C'mon, Steve what were you thinking when you wrote this" which includes such examples as Dre ...more
Δημήτρης
Jul 05, 2016 Δημήτρης rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ένα δώρο από τη θεία μου, λέγοντάς μου «επειδή σου αρέσει ο Stephen King. Ελπίζω να μην το έχεις». Ευτυχώς δεν το είχα.

Κούτζο λοιπόν. Μια ιστορία σε μια κωμόπολη του Maine· ό,τι καλύτερο για τον Βασιλιά ώστε να θέσει μια ιστορία του. Εδώ δεν έχουμε paranormal καταστάσεις αλλά έχουμε ένα thriller κλιμακούμενης έντασης. Εκεί που νόμιζες ότι κάπως χαλαρώνει, να σου πάλι η δράση. Και όταν λέω δράση δεν εννοώ μόνο "πρακτική" αλλά και "εγκεφαλική" των καλοδουλεμένων χαρακτήρων.

Αν δεν είχα διαβάσει π
Heena  P.
Aug 15, 2014 Heena P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All the King's fans and the respective genre lovers.
Being a Stephen King's fan, I knew even before starting the book that I'm in for another horrific journey. And believe me when I say I wasn't disappointed! King is one of the best authors I've ever read and this book is yet another masterpiece. The characters were very well built and so was each and everyone's background story. I loved Tad, Vic and Brett and of-course Cujo (just as an individual character and not personally.) The story establishes and takes direction slowly and steadily and prep ...more
Stefan Yates
Apr 30, 2012 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
I enjoyed Cujo more upon re-reading it than I remembered. I think that the first time that I read it, I was too young at the time to really have a solid understanding of just how screwed up the Trenton's life is becoming before their dealings with a rabid dog.

Cujo is maybe not the most action-packed King novel, I think only four people die in the entire novel. Most of the horror is derived in the tension and frustration involved in the situations that the characters are thrust into. Cujo is a tr
Jojo
Nov 20, 2015 Jojo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Ich bin mir unsicher, was ich von dem Buch halten soll. Zum Ende hin wurde es - wie so oft bei Stephen King - unglaublich spannend und ich habe nicht selten fast meine Station verpasst. Aber trotzdem konnte mich "Cujo" gerade im Vergleich mit anderen King-Büchern nicht hundertprozentig begeistern. Zu Beginn war es doch sehr schleppend und auch im Verlauf gab es immer wieder Stellen, bei denen mir es schwer fiel, weiter zu lesen.
Aber alles in allem: ein solides und auch spannendes Buch im Horror
Squire
Dec 03, 2013 Squire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
My third favorite King book. Bare bones, straight up horror. scary as hell. For the last 30+ years, I've instinctively covered my balls whenever I saw a strange dog wander.
Merci Pol
Aug 05, 2015 Merci Pol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cujo is interesting and well-written, but to be honest: I was expecting more from Stephen King. I read the book just because his name was written on the front page. The book is full of action, blood and shocking scenes, but where's the King's horror? The book is very good after all. You can see the writer typing page by page while reading the book, I can promise you that. Cujo is finished in the slow agony, which definitely is King's style. I think he wrote this book to calm himself down from al ...more
Benjamin Thomas
May 23, 2016 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Classic vintage Stephen King. Somehow, after reading over 55 King books, I realized I had never read this one from among his earliest work so when I was looking for a stand-alone horror novel to read, this seemed like an obvious choice.

This book got started a little slow in my opinion. Perhaps my impression was due to having seen the movie version several decades ago and I still remembered the main thrust of the story being about a mom and her young son being trapped in a car by a rabid Saint Be
Eliana Castillo
Jul 07, 2016 Eliana Castillo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustó mucho del libro es que no uso lo sobrenatural para generar terror, las familias y sus integrantes están bien construidos, nos sumergirán a sus problemas y reflexiones personales, algo que rescato por que hace que la historia sea más creíble, todos los acontecimientos por momentos nos hace pensar que la casualidad no existe, pero les advierto que si quieren leer esta historia se tienen que llenar de paciencia, el principio empieza de forma arrolladora, pero después se pone lenta, conside ...more
Adam Light
Mar 27, 2016 Adam Light rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, the-king
Packed even more punch the second time. There are two lines of dialogue in this book that haunt me still. Both occur near the end. I will leave it at that.
Thomas Strömquist
There is plenty in King's Cujo to place a good sized lump of lead somewhere deep in the abdomen of the reader and a lot of these things have nothing at all to do with a lethally dangerous dog. The desperate and ugly extramarital affair of Donna and it's aftermath, the claustrphobic and abusive situation of Charity Cambers, who is constantly ravaged by worry for her son and torn between fear and loathing for her husband and at the same time bad conscience and a feeling of loyalty towards him. And ...more
Angelica
Jul 05, 2011 Angelica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, stephen_king
The book is awesome. :D At first, I almost got dizzy with the abrupt changes in POVs and scenarios. It felt as if there were too many things happening at the same time. There were too many issues tackled - marriage, family life, motherhood. Eventually, all of them converged to make a very excellent story.

After making me feel afraid of what might happen to the characters when Cujo tried to attack them, I still got heavyhearted at King's words: 'It would perhaps not be amiss to point out that he h
Book Lair: Cujo - 3/07/2016 20 5 Jul 13, 2016 10:18PM
Around the Year i...: Cujo, by Stephen King 10 42 Jul 09, 2016 05:20PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Cujo by Stephen King ---> Starting January 22, 2016 8 15 Jan 31, 2016 03:32AM
Bookworm Buddies: Cujo - December 5th 48 42 Oct 24, 2015 07:35AM
Let's Read Togeth...: Ep. 27 - Cujo with Sam Zee 1 2 Apr 27, 2015 09:23PM
  • Thinner
  • Lisa And David
  • The Archidamian War
  • Creepshow
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • Novels, 1944-1962: My Home is Far Away / The Locusts Have No King / The Wicked Pavilion / The Golden Spur
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • Night Visions 5
  • The Art of Fiction
  • Strange Highways
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood #5)
  • George W. Bushisms: The Slate Book of Accidental Wit and Wisdom of Our 43rd President
  • Second Child
  • Body Rides
More about Stephen King...

28 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“The monster nevers dies.” 49 likes
“We'll just have to get along. That's what people do, you know? They just get along. And try to help each other.” 29 likes