Start by marking “La voce del tuono” as Want to Read:
La voce del tuono

La voce del tuono (Courtney #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  3,670 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Sean Courteney sta lasciando la foresta dopo quattro anni di caccia agli elefanti; ha con sé un carico d'avorio, tante incertezze e suo figlio Dirk, cresciuto alla scuola della savana. In città, Sean trova la guerra, tra Inglesi e Boeri, ma ritrova anche l'adorazione della madre e il rancore del fratello, antiche amicizie e odi implacabili, denaro, successo e il difficile ...more
Hardcover, La gaja scienza Longanesi #68, 446 pages
Published 2007 by Longanesi (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about La voce del tuono, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La voce del tuono

Graham
The follow-up to Smith's first book, WHEN THE LION FEEDS, is a continuation of the same story following the cliffhanger that the first novel ended upon.

We learn more about Sean Courtney's life at Ladyburgh, his experiences in the 2nd Boer War and finally the next Courtney generation, i.e. his children by various mothers.

In my mind, the book falls into three sections. The first part flies by as it reintroduces the central characters, throws in some new personalities and sets up the second part, w
Tammi Morgan
I am really struggling with this book. Feel I should have brushed up on my Boer War History before attempting this. So boring and confusing as to the ranks in the army. I am also finding myself annoyed with Garrick and Sean. The misunderstanding as to what happened between Anna and Sean is wearing thin and I am almost certain that only at the end will it all be resolved. Am still going to plough through, even though I keep falling asleep before I have read a couple of pages.

Still didn't enjoy th
Sandi
While not quite as good as the preceding book, When the Lion Feeds, lots of action, adventure, and larger than life characters made this an entertaining page turner.
Matthew
I could not put this book down. The first book in this series, When the Lion Feeds, was an instant favorite for me. This book made me fall in love with the Courtney's at an entirely new level. Every emotion represented so clearly through a family I became so connected to.
Pablos
Załóżmy, że potrafię się zmusić do wysiłku, którego efektem będzie maksimum obiektywizmu z mojej strony. To raczej niemożliwe, ale załóżmy, że się udało. Wtedy podstawową myślą, jaka towarzyszyła by mi podczas lektury ciągu dalszego genialnej powieści powinna brzmieć mniej więcej tak: nie powinno się tomowi drugiemu wystawiać maksymalnych ocen, albowiem autor zgarnął już chwałę i szacunek przy tomie pierwszym. A teraz zwyczajnie kontynuuje doskonałą historię, wykorzystuje swoich własnych bohater ...more
Luckngrace
My version was titled "The ROAR of Thunder". It must have been the oldest version and was changed. It is 2nd in the Courtney Series and does not disappoint. The twin brothers, Sean and Garry, fight the Boer War. Always at odds, decisions made for themselves impact their twin catastrophically. The 3rd generation of Courtneys enter the storyline and provide great entertainment. It was especially interesting to me which Courtney characteristics are carried through into each child and which twin tha ...more
James
This the first book by Wilbur Smith that I had read. It was over ten years ago and my coworker left the book on the counter at the gas station we worked at. I borrowed the book forgetting to tell her that I took it. She was nice about it and said it was OK. Ever since that first book, I've been a fan of Smiths work.
I would consider his work comparable in detail and excitement with a dash of the unexpected situations that the characters have to come up with novel and genuine solutions to overcom
Mark Edlund
Historical fiction
Smith continues the Courtney saga with a book about the Boer War. Sean's multiple progeny populate the book and help reach to the next book and generation. Great action continues and the characters are still larger than life.
No Canadian references.
Bryce Gordon
What an enjoyable book, I'm not the best reviewer as I just want to tell people what ended up happening. Though for my second book I enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm not sure if I liked it as much at the first instalment (when the lion feeds) though it was great all the same
Wayne Martens
As it is largely about the Boer war , I loved all the history about our country, a must read for anyone who has an interest about the Boer war.
AndyS
Slammed right through this book today!

I am so impress this Wilbur Smith's story telling...

Loved this book...
Todd
Loving the saga aspect of this series, but this book spent a lot of time on battles and fights and wars so I found myself flipping past scenes where the author describes endlessly what is happening in what is merely a competition, whether it be between two men (Sean and Jan Paulus for example, more than once) two peoples two brothers etc. Hopefully, the future books got the competition/battle thing out of the way and there won't be as many and it'll focus more on the other aspects of the charact ...more
Laura-lee Leslie
Got through it, but got a bit irritated by him moving from woman to woman.
Caroline Dhont
Waar boek 1 echt goed was, was deze het exacte tegenovergestelde. Heb me nog nooit zo door een boek moeten worstelen! Jammer!
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Woohoo the witch is dead...I was so relived that she went the way she did nothing less than she deserved.
Nice to have a respite from dirk as well going away, such an evil child apart from his love for his dad. And did he have anything to do with Mary :(
I found the first half of the book a bit of a jumble as you flit between the boer and the English and I got confused at some points but the second half after the war I found it an easier and faster pacing book and quite exciting wanting to know w
Andrew
The Sound of Thunder is a boys' book: brawling, drinking, women, horse racing and war. This is the second of Wilbur Smith's Courtney series, and follows the adventures of Sean Courtney, who was introduced in When the Lion Feeds.

Set in South Africa at the start of the twentieth century, Sean spends the first half of the story working his way up through the ranks of the British Army during the Boor War. Then, he heads home to rebuild his fortunes (again).

A light, fun book - I've already got A Spar
Katherine
I was getting mixed up at the beginning with s,it's other series I have read some of. The ballantine characters, so I had to go back and read a summ,ary of the prequel to this, when the e lion feeds to get it straight. after that it was ok. I little heavy on long battle scenes and descriptions. Also, over two novels Sean doesn't seemed to have learned or grown very much, a little at the end of this one. Still. I enjoy the setting and the history, so I will continue with the next in the series as ...more
Dark-Draco
This is the second book the the epic Courtney saga. Sean has been living in the wilds of Africa with his young son, Dirk. They return to town on the eve of war and soon Sean is caught up in the fight against the Boers. But old antagonisms soon come to bear on his life and nothing works out the way he planned.

A good, fast-paced thriller. Lots of action and 'smoochy bits'. The characters that I so wanted to get their comeuppance in the last novel, do here, so you have to give a bit of a cheer!
Naomi
This book continues with the story of Sean Courtney and his brother, Garrick. Both serve in the British army during the Boer war. Sean on the fields of battle and Garrick in headquarters. After the war is over the conflict between the brothers escalate even more. Sean becomes a man to be reckon with while his brother continues to avoid evolving himself in any kind of like due to his wife Anna. The background of the coming of age of South Africa is interesting history and very well described.
Logan Crowe
Please bear in mind that I am a huge Wilbur Smith fan, probably what prompted me to start writing. The settling of Africa, the struggles in SouthAfrica, Rhodesia, the epic battle of conquests when men who were real men faced challenges of immense proportions. This is the story of an epic struggle to survive during the early years in Africa, when wildlife was untamed, enemies very real and tragedy all around. Leave enough time to finish this one if you start it. Fabulous....
Tasha
3.5

While still really good, especially the beginning and the ending, the middle slogged a bit. I learned much about the Boer War which, sad to say, was completely new to me. While interesting, the story itself didn't engage me like the ending did, once all returned back to 'normal'. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Bruce
I think I liked this one better than the first one in the Courtney series. Wilbur Smith writes some of the most entertaining historical fiction I have ever read. This one is about the Boer War in South Africa at the beginning of the 20th century. I've heard about it, but didn't know much. Wilbur Smith did a great job of educating while entertaining. Highly recommend this book.
Marianne
Highly recommend this series to anybody who likes historical fiction. Smith is a consummate writer with tons of credibility because he was born and lived in So Africa.

Most of this book is about the Boer War, which I knew very little about.
Deep development of characters.

IMO not as smashing as the first novel, but I'm already looking forward to the next in the series.
Obinna Udenwe
Wilbur Smith is a writer i admired from childhood and i cannot stop reading his books because they take my mind back to my childhood. The bush burnings in the village, the plays, the moonlight tales and the country food.

This book continues to introduce more intriguing character of courtney. I am in love with it just like When Lion Feeds.

Obinna Udenwe
Linda
This one covers the war in Africa between the British Empire and African born Brits against the Boer farmers: (Think American civil war) It is a war story. Family rivalry and hatred as well as the acquisition of property that is the start of the Courtney wealth. I did not like the Courtney characteristics in this book as much as in others.
JoAnn/QuAppelle
This was the second novel in the Courtney series - I would like to read all of them. I must admit that I skimmed over some of the material in this book about the Boer War. It was a large part of the book, which kind of disappointed me. But still, these books are better than most.
Mpumi Sithole
After a disappointing end to the When the Lion Feeds, this was a climatic end. Enjoyed the hardship experienced by Sean, when all seemed lost and no hope was near for a reconciliation with his twin brother, then it happens and all truth is laid bare for the brothers. Marvelous read...
John
I've read just about every Wilbur Smith book in print, since I became acquainted with his work several years ago. He paints a very interesting picture of the some of the history of Africa though his stories. He is one of my favorite historical fiction writers.
Erik
A great continuation of the Courtney saga! The Boer war part felt a bit out of place but the rest of the story was awsome with excellent character development, action and a lot of drama. Overall a great story and perfect follow up to When the lion feeds.
  • Copperhead (The Starbuck Chronicles, #2)
  • Kringe in 'n bos
  • The Eagle and the Wolves (Eagle, #4)
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • Whitethorn
  • The Silver Eagle (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #2)
  • Landslide
  • Cold Fall (John Gardner's Bond, #16)
  • The Gods of War (Emperor, #4)
  • The Second Saladin
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...
River God (Ancient Egypt, #1) The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2) Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt, #3) When the Lion Feeds (Courtney, #1) Monsoon (Courtney #10)