Start by marking “Little Hoot” as Want to Read:
Little Hoot

Little Hoot (Little Books)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  2,700 Ratings  ·  310 Reviews

It's not fair! All Little Owl wants is to go to bed at a reasonable hour, like his friends do. But no . . . Mama and Papa say little owls have to stay up late and play. So Little Owl spends all night jumping on his bed, playing on the jungle gym, and doing tricks on his skateboard but he's hooting mad about it ! Children who have a hard time going to bed will love this fun

nook kids (ebook), 0 pages
Published September 20th 2010 by Chronicle Books LLC (first published December 1st 2007)

Mariah
Mar 17, 2017 Mariah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute, funny story about how an owl wants to go to bed early and not stay up late.
Darcy
Mar 28, 2017 Darcy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby-h-books
This book had the cutest pictures and Dad explained to me that it's funny because usually little kids want to stay up late and parents want them to go to bed, but Little Hoot wants to go to bed and his parents want him to stay up. (Once I am wise to the ways of the world, I will understand jokes better.) -M
Mar 13, 2017 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable. The illustration of the daddy owl and his coffee pot always makes me grin.
Melissa
Oct 10, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute story of a little owl begging to go to bed early and the parents trying to keep him up with excuses children often use to stay up. Made me smile.
Betsy
Jan 10, 2008 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here's how a normal day is for Little Hoot. Like most owls he goes to school, plays with his friends, and practices his pondering and staring. That's fine. He's fond of all of that. What he doesn't like, however, is bedtime. Every night Little Hoot wants to go to bed at a reasonable hour like his other non-owl friends, and every night it's the same story. "If you want to grow up to be a wise owl, you must stay up late." On this particular night Little Hoot begs to go to bed but his mom lets him ...more
Laura G
Oct 07, 2015 Laura G rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book after Little Oink and liked it even more than that one! (On to Little Pea next!) Rosenthal weaves owl words (all kinds of who-ing, give a hoot, etc) and behaviors (staring, staying up late) into the story in a very understated way. There is a lot to unpack in the illustrations, and just enough complex vocabulary (e.g. ponder) introduced to make it palatable and digestible. Similar to the other books in the series, the twist is that Little Hoot begs to be allowed to go to bed, bu ...more
Courtney
Nov 29, 2009 Courtney added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pre K, Kinder teachers
Clever example of reverse psychology as a storyline. This book would be great for pre K-1st grade. Little Hoot is an owl that does not want to stay up late like most owls. His parents make him because that is what little owls must do. The illustrations are adorable with crisp design. I wish I could illustrate like this author. Children will fall in love with the little Hoot and the story is a great discussion starter about nighttime rountines
Kathryn
Jul 19, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So cute! And a "hoot" indeed! I love the clever "reversal" in this story--Little Hoot WANTS to go to bed early, the same as all his friends--it is so boring and frustrating to have to stay up late and keep on playing! Just as in "Little Pea" Rosenthal turns a child's typical "argument" upside-down and her protagonist argues for the thing the children usually argue against. Delightful illustrations, too.
Natalie Godinez
Sep 14, 2016 Natalie Godinez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story Little Hoot by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Jen Corace teaches you a why you should appreciate Bedtime. Little Owl liked many things except one thing...Bedtime. I like this book because it teached my brother a lesson and the lesson was to appreciate what you have because others may not have what you have. I would recommend this book to kids that sleep late so they sleep early.
Rebecca
This is hilarious. Little Hoot just *has* to stay up late, because he is an owl, and his parents are so mean. He just wants to go to bed!! I didn't realize there was a whole series from Rosenthal and Corace after Little Pea with these similar twists. Simple and fun.
Tara
I love this book so much I want to have it's little book babies. Little Hoot would like to go to bed at a reasonable hour, but his parents say that good little owls MUST stay up late and play. The pictures are just scrumptious and adorable!
Ashley
Jan 25, 2017 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a sweet little book! It is perfect for bed time, and the lovely pictures really enrich the story! My three-year-old owl lover was very happy reading this tonight. I am sure we will be reading it nightly from here on out!
Emily
Sep 30, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids, parents, teachers.
Shelves: favorites, kids-bks
I picked this up while reshelving in the childrens room of our library, and I just fell in love. I mean, of all those years, how many of us wanted to stay up late? This litte guy just wants to sleep--stands against the crowd. He's my hero!
Dana J. Moore
Cute bit of reverse psychology for little children. My toddlers love these books. They amuse me as an adult. And since I have to read the over and over at bedtime, I don't mind them counting toward my yearly reading goal.
Carrie Charley Brown
This is an adorable backwards book! Instead of wanting to stay up late, Little Hoot just wants to go to bed.
Imogen
Mar 01, 2009 Imogen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the prettiest book about an owl I have ever seen.
Michelle
Nov 16, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This cute book illustrates an adorable view of bedtimes..in the opposite sense. Its a great opposite story and an even better bedtime story for little hoots...:)
Mary Gael
YEAH IM PUTTING CHILDRENS BOOKS ON HERE TRY N STOP ME
Pauline
Mar 14, 2017 Pauline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I heard the passing of Amy Krouse Rosenthal we had to read again her books with my daughter today. I always keep few of my daughter's books in every stage and I kept these two books. The Little Hoot and Little Pea were her favorite books when she was a toddle. What a great loss. She will be missed.
Danette
May 10, 2017 Danette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Some reverse-psychology for the reluctant to go to bed.

5/10/17 Read with Naomi & Julia.
Lucia
Mar 18, 2017 Lucia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for all those parents who make their kids stay up way too late, playing, eating snacks, going to the bathroom, getting drinks and reading too many books each night. And it even hints toward "bi-racial marriage" with two different types of owls as parents. LOVE THIS!!
Julie Kirchner
Mar 19, 2017 Julie Kirchner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved sharing this books with students. They had fun sharing how the story is opposite what they usually have happen at home. Cute illustrations that had kids noticing all the lovely details of what happened when the owls were made to stay up late.
Traci Bold
As author Amy Krouse Rosenthal is known for, LITTLE HOOT takes an idea and turns it upside down in this funny and opposite story , delightfully illustrated by Jen Corace.

Young readers will enjoy the contradiction to a familiar phrase.

Published by Chronicle Books.

#PB #animals #allaboutme
Caleb
May 29, 2009 Caleb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Cut and pasted from my comics blog...

This book was clearly designed as a sequel of sorts to Little Pea, as the same creators tell the story of another Little that starts identically, has a similar sort of conflict, also makes bad puns, and some of the exact same beats (the fig. 1-3 part at the end of each, which you’ll notice if you read them).

This one works much better, I think, because while Little Pea’s anthropomorphizing was haphazard (some foods are anthropomorphic, some aren’t; the starri
Kimberly
Feb 17, 2017 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute as heck, but way too text-heavy for a board book. I'm sure in regular picture-book format it's lovely.
The Book Box
Mama read this to me the other night.
Aliyah Inge-hanif
Little Hoot by Amy Krouse Rosenthal is a picture book for ages three and up. This story is about an owl that wants to go to bed early like his other friends, who are not owls. His parents make him stay up late because he is an owl.

This is a very interesting twist on bedtime. I think it would be a wonderful book to open discussion on bedtime or naptime schedules. The book does have a few puns and slight humor. I don’t think either was very fun but they were not “bad” jokes. This story can also b
Jessie Bear
In an ironic twist on the classic bedtime procrastination story, Little Hoot is forced to stay up and play by his night owl parents. This tongue-in-cheek picture book combines darling illustrations with the humor of an unexpected point of view. Word play and puns also feature in this story, some more subtle than others for different reading and listening audiences. The illustrations are done in ink and watercolor with a predominance of curved lines and shapes. Characters and props are depicted, ...more
Destiny Dawn Long
My daughter has a fondness for owls, so I was delighted to find this title at the library. I wasn't sure what the story would be like, but I was immediately drawn to the illustrations. The pen and ink pictures are simultaneously adorable and clever. They create a real sense of character.

And there is a story to match. Little owl likes pretty much everything--he likes school, playing with friends, and practicing important owl skills (like pondering and staring). But he does not like bedtime. His
Juliepay
I thought the author did a good job of creating a foil for the readers. Often times kids argue with their parents about what time they can go to sleep using the same exact arguments little hoot uses with his parents- just implementing them in the opposite way. I think this creates a character that the kids can empathize with easily, but still laugh at the situation because of how it is completely different from their own. It also introduces to a young mind the idea of diversity and how not every ...more
  • How to Heal a Broken Wing
  • A Book of Sleep
  • Jumpy Jack & Googily
  • A Penguin Story
  • Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed
  • Big Bad Bunny
  • The Little Red Hen
  • The Odd Egg
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • In a Blue Room
  • I'm a Shark
  • Little Owl Lost
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • A Visitor for Bear (Bear and Mouse, #1)
  • The Little Yellow Leaf
  • Chicken Cheeks
  • Cloudette
  • The Doghouse

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something o
More about Amy Krouse Rosenthal...

Little Books (3 books)