Start by marking “A Wreath For the Enemy” as Want to Read:
A Wreath For the Enemy

A Wreath For the Enemy

mass market
Published 1964 by Signet Books (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about A Wreath For the Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wreath For the Enemy

Mariel
Nov 14, 2013 Mariel rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: the sea-floor
Recommended to Mariel by: Sylvia Plath
In my youth...I had an overwhelming passion to be like other people. Other people were a whole romantic race, miles beyond my reach. Not now. I don't really think that they exist, except in the eye of the beholder.

The dream of other people is dead. I had looked forward to reading this book. I want to be someone else pretty much all of the time.

Glittery unicorn stickers dot the forever I's. Hey, HER father is a famous poet, friends with a Duchess and second wife a young French chick. Ooh la la.
Jane
Sep 04, 2014 Jane added it
This is lovely: a quite beautifully written book that speaks so profoundly. I find myself wanting to say so much, and at the same time being almost lost for words.

‘A Wreath for the Enemy’ is a coming of age story, the story of a girl and a boy, whose paths cross one summer on the French Riviera.

Penelope lived there, in the hotel that her father and her step-mother. It was the most bohemian of establishments, catering for artists, performers and eccentrics. Penelope’s life had no rules, she was f
Jane
May 20, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Mary Holland
Oct 19, 2012 Mary Holland rated it it was amazing
The plot framework for this novel is the coming-of-age story, ostensibly of two teenagers who meet on the Rivera after WWII. Penelope Wells is the daughter of a poet who owns a hotel and is being raised in a highly cultured and bohemian setting. She is, however, fascinated with the middle-class English Bradley family who have taken the villa across the way and longs to be 'ordinary'. The first section "The Duchess and the Smugs" is told from Penelope's point-of-view.
The second part is told from
Gisele
Oct 06, 2016 Gisele rated it it was amazing
I read this book quite a long time ago, but it's a testament to how good it is that I remembered it now, and chose to include it on my book list.
What do I remember the most about it? Well, growing up is a hard thing, and no matter what kind of life you have, you always yearn for somebody's else. We just have to make sure we learn to appreciate the life we do have, and the people we are surrounded by, before it's too late.
Elaine
Oct 01, 2011 Elaine rated it really liked it
It was a pleasure to read and different from the style of the books I've been reading recently. Very little description in this one and much more action and dialogue. I was fond of the main character Penelope Wells as well as her bohemian family. Many other interesting characters that will stay in my memory also inhabited the book. Look forward to reading more of Frankau's works.
Debra L Woods
Sep 26, 2013 Debra L Woods rated it really liked it
I knew about this book from the 1950's something Reader's Digest Condenses book, The Duchess and the Smugs. I LOVED that story, and that's the beginning of this book. There's a lot about death and dealing with death and loss. I don't think the protagonist, Penelope Wells is ever able to come to grips with it in this book. This is supposed to be the authors best writing. I doubt I'll read anymore of her meanderings as much as I liked this one.
Ayreon
Ayreon rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Suzy
Suzy rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2009
Clare Hollowell
Clare Hollowell rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2013
Ellen Weissblum
Ellen Weissblum rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2013
Kirstie
Kirstie rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2014
Priya
Priya rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2011
SmokingMirror
SmokingMirror rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Coralie
Coralie rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2010
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2011
Jane Claydon
Jane Claydon rated it it was ok
May 22, 2014
Kyle
Kyle rated it liked it
May 23, 2007
Pedro Zavala
Pedro Zavala rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2010
Jerrie
Jerrie rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2016
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
May 15, 2009
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2012
Penelope
Penelope rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2009
Ruth Brown
Ruth Brown rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Sharry Teague
Sharry Teague rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Oolookitty
Oolookitty rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2013
Lesley
Lesley rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Popular British novelist. Her father was novelist Gilbert Frankau, her mother satirist Julia Davis, and her uncle British radio comedian, Ronald Frankau.

Her writing success came when she was only twenty, with The Marriage of Harlequin (1927). A relationship with the married Humbert Wolfe ended only with his death in 1940. She then ceased to write for a long period.

During the Second World War, she
More about Pamela Frankau...