Start by marking “The Secret World of Slugs and Snails: Life in the Very Slow Lane” as Want to Read:
The Secret World of Slugs and Snails: Life in the Very Slow Lane

The Secret World of Slugs and Snails: Life in the Very Slow Lane

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A preeminent expert on the small wonders of the natural world, David George Gordon playfully and thoughtfully sheds light on the fascinating lives of slugs and snails. Covering everything from snail sex to the manufacture of synthetic slug slime, Gordon takes us on a journey through the languid and magical world of these charismatic invertebrates. From essays like Grow You ...more
Published November 2nd 2010 by Sasquatch Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret World of Slugs and Snails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret World of Slugs and Snails

Erin Young
There were definitely some gross out parts of this book, I don't recommend reading it over lunch as I did. Nonetheless, it was an uber-interesting book and I found the section on anatomy particularly fascinating. These creatures truly are miraculous. Gordon has a relaxed, poetic style and it's definitely a great vacation read for those with any interest in these fascinating creatures.
Tweedledum
What a fascinating book full of useful information and extra-ordinary facts. Reading this has definitely increased my respect for the humble slug and snail, and though I do not want my garden overrun David Gordon helps the gardener regain some perspective and think about environmentally sound ways to control.
Melanie
Now I know...

--what a wild snail eating sounds like: "... a cross between a bastard file and a chainsaw - like something out of Evil Dead II."

-- Some snails have elaborate mating rituals that involve kissing.

-- Speculation about Cupid's arrows in Greek mythology being inspired by the "love darts" that snails shoot into each other if they go the male/female route instead of using their hermaphroditic prowess.

-- that Darwin observed another scientist's experiment in which a sickly snail and its
Linda
I am the reluctant guardian of ten (well, nine, now) garden snails for the science unit I am teaching. As I cannot answer a single question my students are asking me about our guests (captives?), I was delighted to find this volume in a used bookstore.

Gordon is both informative and really funny, and the illustrations by Fildes are charming. The book concentrates on the Pacific Northwest without explicitly stating this focus, which was a slight detraction for me. Still a great read, though.
Melissa
An expanded version of Gordon's Field Guide to Slugs, updating slightly and adding snails. As usual, Gordon rights with much-appreciated humor.
Laurie
Cute little book. Trying to get over the disgusting factor. checked some of the names on google images - nudibranch - they were beautiful.
Meredith
A very adorable book. Had to read it for school, but thoroughly enjoyed it and now I love snails even more than I did before.
John
Read this and you never look at these little guys the same way again. Very readable, very warm bit of science.
Amanda
I enjoyed this book but I had hoped for more information on how to cope with slugs in the vegetable garden.
Charity
Super quick read. Who knew slugs and snails could be so interesting? And funny too!
Alissa
Forward by CISCOE! Author describes geoducks as "Tubby"
Jim Young
Fun read. Would have enjoyed more detailed illustratons.
Lisa
so great! all the illustrations are adorable.
Eric
Dec 28, 2012 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Absolutely Charming.
Zion
Zion marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Anna Zirkes
Anna Zirkes marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Edith B
Edith B marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Gina Liu
Gina Liu marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Cody Coyotee
Cody Coyotee marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Uncover a Shark (An Uncover It Book) The Compleat Cockroach: A Comprehensive Guide to the Most Despised (And Least Understood) Creature on Earth The Eat-a-Bug Cookbook The Eat-a-Bug Cookbook, Revised: 40 Ways to Cook Crickets, Grasshoppers, Ants, Water Bugs, Spiders, Centipedes, and Their Kin Uncover a Horse