Start by marking “The Secret World of Slugs and Snails: Life in the Very Slow Lane” as Want to Read:
The Secret World of Slugs and Snails: Life in the Very Slow Lane

The Secret World of Slugs and Snails: Life in the Very Slow Lane

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  87 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A preeminent expert on the small wonders of the natural world, David George Gordon playfully and thoughtfully sheds light on the fascinating lives of slugs and snails. Covering everything from snail sex to the manufacture of synthetic slug slime, Gordon takes us on a journey through the languid and magical world of these charismatic invertebrates. From essays like Grow You ...more
Published November 2nd 2010 by Sasquatch Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret World of Slugs and Snails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret World of Slugs and Snails

Linda
May 09, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
I am the reluctant guardian of ten (well, nine, now) garden snails for the science unit I am teaching. As I cannot answer a single question my students are asking me about our guests (captives?), I was delighted to find this volume in a used bookstore.

Gordon is both informative and really funny, and the illustrations by Fildes are charming. The book concentrates on the Pacific Northwest without explicitly stating this focus, which was a slight detraction for me. Still a great read, though.
Erin Young
Aug 05, 2011 Erin Young rated it liked it
There were definitely some gross out parts of this book, I don't recommend reading it over lunch as I did. Nonetheless, it was an uber-interesting book and I found the section on anatomy particularly fascinating. These creatures truly are miraculous. Gordon has a relaxed, poetic style and it's definitely a great vacation read for those with any interest in these fascinating creatures.
Tweedledum
Aug 25, 2015 Tweedledum rated it it was amazing
What a fascinating book full of useful information and extra-ordinary facts. Reading this has definitely increased my respect for the humble slug and snail, and though I do not want my garden overrun David Gordon helps the gardener regain some perspective and think about environmentally sound ways to control.
Melanie
Jul 08, 2011 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Now I know...

--what a wild snail eating sounds like: "... a cross between a bastard file and a chainsaw - like something out of Evil Dead II."

-- Some snails have elaborate mating rituals that involve kissing.

-- Speculation about Cupid's arrows in Greek mythology being inspired by the "love darts" that snails shoot into each other if they go the male/female route instead of using their hermaphroditic prowess.

-- that Darwin observed another scientist's experiment in which a sickly snail and its
Chance
Nov 29, 2015 Chance rated it really liked it
Very enlightening read. I found it funny and enjoyable. It could have used a little more proofreading, however, but they were only minor errors. It is packed full of good information, especially if you have a slug or snail problem in your garden, and you need a humane way of getting rid of them.
Chris
Dec 23, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. You don't see too many natural histories out there on slugs and snails and this was a fascinating account of these mollusk species.
Chris Keefe
Feb 21, 2016 Chris Keefe rated it really liked it
A quick, pleasant read, I learned a ton about these critters. Yep.
Jillian
Jan 18, 2016 Jillian rated it really liked it
I wish that this had color pictures but it was pretty cute without them. The parts about slime and snail sex were kind of gross but it was super adorable that their home range is 20 feet.
Jan 15, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
The book didn't really grab me. It's little more than a collection of factoids. A few good tips for gardeners. Worth reading if the subject matter interests you.
Melissa
Mar 08, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
An expanded version of Gordon's Field Guide to Slugs, updating slightly and adding snails. As usual, Gordon rights with much-appreciated humor.
Laurie
Jul 28, 2011 Laurie rated it liked it
Cute little book. Trying to get over the disgusting factor. checked some of the names on google images - nudibranch - they were beautiful.
Meredith
Dec 30, 2012 Meredith rated it it was amazing
A very adorable book. Had to read it for school, but thoroughly enjoyed it and now I love snails even more than I did before.
John
Aug 23, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: natural-history
Read this and you never look at these little guys the same way again. Very readable, very warm bit of science.
Amanda
Aug 07, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book but I had hoped for more information on how to cope with slugs in the vegetable garden.
Charity
Jan 26, 2014 Charity rated it really liked it
Super quick read. Who knew slugs and snails could be so interesting? And funny too!
Alissa
May 18, 2012 Alissa rated it liked it
Forward by CISCOE! Author describes geoducks as "Tubby"
Jim Young
Apr 24, 2011 Jim Young rated it it was ok
Fun read. Would have enjoyed more detailed illustratons.
Lisa
Apr 13, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
so great! all the illustrations are adorable.
Eric
Dec 28, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Absolutely Charming.
Zoë
Zoë marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Angela
Angela is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2016
Alisha Bennett
Alisha Bennett marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Maggy
Maggy rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Lauren Brush
Lauren Brush is currently reading it
May 17, 2016
John Wood
John Wood rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Greg Thompson
Greg Thompson rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Caitlin Etherton
Caitlin Etherton rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016