Start by marking “Dead Reckoning” as Want to Read:
Dead Reckoning

Dead Reckoning

Good Couple

Happy and retired, Tom and Jackie Hawks lived a charmed life in sunny Southern California. They were delighted when former child star Skylar Deleon and his pregnant wife Jennifer offered cash to purchase their 55-foot yacht The Well Deserved. . .

Bad Couple

But a trial voyage turned into a nightmare. Out at sea, the Hawkses begged for their lives as they were f
Published February 1st 2011 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Reckoning

Stephanie
Mar 05, 2011 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime, kindle
Always like to read about totally whacked out folks from Southern CA. This was just a strange story, with a couple of really stupid people who were just greedy and evil. I sort of think the sign of a "good" true crime book is if you are compelled to go online and look up the case and pictures etc. -- and I did.
LORI CASWELL
Dec 23, 2011 LORI CASWELL rated it it was amazing
Tom and Jackie Hawks were living their dream, retired living on their boat, aptly named Well Deserved, sailing around Southern California and Mexico.

They had started to think about selling their boat when Skylar Deleon and his pregnant wife Jennifer offered cash to purchase the yacht. But the trial voyage was a total nightmare. Tom and Jackie pleaded for their lives as Skylar forced them to not only sign over the boat to him, but their home and bank accounts as well. Believing if they did what h
♥ Marlene♥
Aug 10, 2011 ♥ Marlene♥ rated it really liked it
This is a case that will haunt me. The way these people were murdered.

I thought I had written a review cause this book stayed with me long after I read it. The way these people were killed, so gruesome, so heartless, I could not stop thinking about it.
Plus one photo of Jackie (the one with the butterfly) reminded me she could be one of my family)

Wish I had written a review when I was done cause I am very forgetful. Well I do know I am recommending this book!
Caitlin Rother
Oct 05, 2016 Caitlin Rother rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is the updated edition of this book, with 15 new pages of case developments about transgender killer Skylar Deleon and California's new policy that allows transgender inmates to apply for taxpayer-funded gender reassignment surgery. Skylar was living as a man when the first edition was published in 2011......Happy and retired, Tom and Jackie Hawks lived a charmed life in sunny Southern California. They were delighted when former child star Skylar Deleon and his pregnant wife Jennifer ...more
Kathleen Kelly
Mar 02, 2011 Kathleen Kelly rated it really liked it

Dead Reckoning is a book about the murders of Tom and Jackie Hawks, a couple who spent their retirement cruising in their trawler , the Well Deserved. An appropriate title for how they felt about their life. Along comes Skylar and Jennifer to ruin the Hawk's nearly perfect life.

This real story is very well researched and told so professionally that I had a hard time putting this book down. A true story of love, hate, greed and dysfunctional, evil people. This book will appeal to all true crime f
Farrah
Mar 16, 2011 Farrah rated it liked it
As much as I abhor acts of violence, I can’t help but be sucked in to true crime books and movies. I have to say that I find the thinking behind the act and how it’s solved to be fascinating. Rother does an excellent job in retelling the murder of Tom & Jackie Hawks from Skylar & Jennifer Deleon’s side. Talk about an “F’d” up couple!

If you like true crime, be sure to read Dead Reckoning. I believe I’ll be picking up some of her other ones as well.
SenoraG
Sep 04, 2016 SenoraG rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
WOW, what a story. What kind of people are there in this world? Full review can be found on my blog: Reading,Reading&Life It will be posted March 1, 2011 during Pump Up Your Book virtual book tour.
Alex Gleason
Aug 07, 2012 Alex Gleason rated it it was ok
This is rather bottom-of-the-barrel true crime. There's nothing egregiously wrong with it, but it makes, for example, Ann Rule look like a real master.
Micky Lee
Jun 01, 2011 Micky Lee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-ebooks
Very good read. But a very disturbing young man
Tabitha Rohm
Oct 16, 2016 Tabitha Rohm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an action packed and thought-provoking book all the way up until the last page is turned (or in my case, the last tap on my Kindle). For a long time after closing my Kindle, I sat for hours just thinking about all the issues that were covered in Dead Reckoning. It is from the True Crime genre, but there is more to consider in this book than just your everyday murder. I’m not sure if I feel sympathy for Skylar for all that he confronted with on a daily basis from childhood up until he was ...more
natalie karns
Thanks, Goodreads, for giving me the opportunity to win "Dead Reckoning." It is a really good story, but too many words and unnecessary details, making it very hard to read. It is unbelievable to know that there are cold and evil crazy people out in our world and this true murder story is a very good example of that. 2 very vicious psychopaths.
Ann Smorado
Nov 04, 2016 Ann Smorado rated it liked it
I like true crime novels and I bought this book after hearing Caitlin Rother on the radio. It is a heartbreaking but fascinating case. I will say the second half of the book was better than the first. The first got a bit bogged down in details, I think.
Maureen Timerman
Sep 27, 2016 Maureen Timerman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This updated book will blow your socks off, and if you were related to the victim you would want to carry out your own justice. How can we treat our prisoners better we do our Vets and law abiding citizens. What is this nation coming to? Makes you wonder if crime does pay, and don’t forget this person is on death row.

I received this book through the Author and was not required to give a positive review.
Valerie
Jul 01, 2013 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a true story about a triple murder which occurred in Newport Beach, CA,(a couple) and one person in Mexico. The whole motive behind all three of the murders was greed and the acquisition of money. A 25 year old man and his wife, along with three accomplices were involved. The murders occurred in 2003. I have to say the worst of the two separate incidents was the one where Skylar Deleon (legal name change) and his accomplices bound a yacht owner and his wife together to an anchor and ...more
Gregory Fournier
Dec 13, 2014 Gregory Fournier rated it it was amazing
Caitlin Rother's 2011 true crime--Dead Reckoning--tells the twisted murder-for-profit tale of diabolical killers Skylar and Jennifer Deleon, who schemed to defraud a retired couple--Tom and Jackie Hawks--of their financial assets and their 55' yacht before tying them to an anchor and shoving them into the Pacific Ocean. The use of a nautical term for the title of this book is most appropriate.

Caitlin Rother brings her considerable talent--as a Pulitzer Prize nominated journalist--to guide her re
Cheryl Malandrinos
Jun 29, 2015 Cheryl Malandrinos rated it it was amazing
Dead Reckoning is a chilling story. It reveals the horrible evil this world can contain. It leaves the reader wondering: are killers born or are they made? A life of abuse was all that Skylar Deleon knew. Did that turn him into the greedy, immoral person who could hatch a plot to steal the Hawkses' yacht and throw them overboard while they were still alive?

Or was it the influence of his wife, Jennifer? Was Skylar willing to do anything to please her--even murder?

I've been fascinated by true crim
Dan
Dec 31, 2015 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This really dragged for me.

Yes is was a horrendous crime. But was it interesting. I dunno. Throwing in the anchor shocked me. But the rest? It just seems like tons of superfluous detail. You could have eliminated all of her interviews. You've already told us this stuff. And you are lamenting not having another 100 pages? That's enough to make me never read you again. Not worth it in my opinion. Kinda boring. I was skimming.
Lisa O'Brien
I swore off true crime books years ago because because I no longer found the style of writing, or the genre to be all that interesting. That changed when I found Caitlyn Rother's "Poisoned Love." I've now read "I'll Take Care of You" and "Dead Reckoning" in the span of a couple of weeks.

Ms. Rother's writing style is clear and concise. The background information on the victims and perpetrators is thorough and provides insight into their lives without an information overload.

Piesha Paul
Dec 23, 2014 Piesha Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime
I don't care what childhood he had, there was absolutely no reason for him to do this. Murdering 2 people who did everything right. What haunts me to this day though, is knowing that this could've been prevented, but money was more important to his accomplices, more than the lives of 2 innocent people. They'll burn in hell. Ms. Rother did an awesome job telling the story
Judi
Jan 22, 2013 Judi rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Interesting case made more so by the cast of characters involved, including a one-time child star, turned murderer. Heartless and cold-blooded are thrown around a lot to describe crimes like the ones committed against the two victims-husband and wife-but in this case the viciousness of the two aggressors was astonishing. Put two psychopaths together and watch it explode.
Christina
Jan 15, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing
This was the first Caitlin Rother book I read. I was not disappointed. Ms. Rother does a great job putting together the story and keeping you interested from page 1 to the very end. Highly recommended.
Tammy Doyle schoiber
one of the most disturbing true crime reads ever...the perpetrators are beyond sociopathic..cold...meticulous...evil...

very heartbreaking story...but justice does come into play...unfortunately, it's too late...
Janet Richards
Jul 22, 2013 Janet Richards rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Truly a disturbing set of people. One of the sadest and most haunting true stories I've ever heard of.
Suzie Flohr
Mar 16, 2014 Suzie Flohr rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK WAS OUTSTANDING . CAITLIN MAKES YOU BELIEVE YOU KNOW THE PEOPLE AND ITS NOT CLINICAL. I LOVED THIS BOOK . HIGHLY RECOMMEND.
Sue
Oct 30, 2013 Sue rated it liked it
Shelves: crimen
Too straightforward, with no mystery whatsoever. Just deadpan, like a research paper. Extra star for all the research!, and she'd have liked a 100 pages more . . . E-gads!!
Nov 16, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
Another true crime novel by Caitlin Rother. She is very thorough in the background investigation and is very good at telling the story. Another one that was hard to put down.
Sae-chan
May 24, 2014 Sae-chan rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I think I have to agree that some people can be good on their own, but being paired up they could raise hell.
Theresa
Sep 01, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True murder

This is probably one of the most horrific true murder stories I have ever read. The manner of death is incredibly cruel.The book is very well written.
Dead reckoning

I enjoyed the book a lot. Was a disturbing story to say the least. Crazy people in this world. Was. Good true crime read..
Apr 08, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it
This book was a good true crime read. I am just amazed at r
The crazy people out in this world. Ugg darn scary...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Death Trap
  • Dismembered
  • The Confessions of an American Black Widow: A True Story of Greed, Lust and a Murderous Wife
  • She Wanted It All
  • To Have and To Kill
  • Evil Eyes
  • The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town
  • Suffer The Little Children
  • Sleep My Darlings: The true story of a mother who killed her children in cold blood
New York Times bestselling author Caitlin Rother has written or co-authored 11 books, ranging from narrative non-fiction crime to mystery to memoir. Her titles include LOVE GONE WRONG, DEAD RECKONING, THEN NO ONE CAN HAVE HER, I'LL TAKE CARE OF HER, NAKED ADDICTION, POISONED LOVE, BODY PARTS, TWISTED TRIANGLE, LOST GIRLS, WHERE HOPE BEGINS and MY LIFE, DELETED. A Pulitzer Prize nominee, Rother ...more
More about Caitlin Rother...