Start by marking “Thyroid Power” as Want to Read:
Thyroid Power

Thyroid Power

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Fatigue; weight gain; depression; arthritis; high cholestrol; low sex drive; skin, digestive, and female problems; abnormal blood pressure -- all may be symptoms of low thyroid, one of the most misdiagnosed disorders in America.

Thyroid Power can help you determine whether you're one of the millions who suffer from low thyroid. It discusses food, vitamins, and natural remed
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Thyroid Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thyroid Power

Melody
For anyone who has a thyroid problem or suspects they might, this book is awesome. It explains so much and really validates the thyroid patients thoughts about their bodies and medications they know help and what doesn't. I recommend it for everyone struggling with this disease.
Pamela Huxtable
Too many solicitations for services - phone consultations with the authors, independent testing services - made me uncomfortable and unwilling to trust the authors. The case histories were interesting, but a touch histrionic.
Rob
I think everyone over the age of 40 should read this book. Tired? Overweight? Those are just two of many chronic conditions discussed in this most insightful book. Easy to understand, even for Doctors. :)
Evelyn
Thyroid Power by Richard Shames. Since I have thyroid problems I am always reading or searching ways to keep my thyroid under control. This book has very good advice to those with thyroid problems or anyone who may be searching for some health answers about the thyroid. Foods to advoid, how it affects other parts of the body along with what to talk to your doctor about testing for the thyroid and medications, etc. This book reminded me of different things I should be doing but over the years hav ...more
Amie
Sep 17, 2012 Amie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: symptomatic under-active thyroid sufferers
Recommended to Amie by: My awesome acupuncturist
Thyroid Power is a well-written, highly organized guide for anyone interested in improving or understanding their thyroid disorder. The author does a great job of making clinical information accessible to anyone without a medical or human sciences background. I found the chapters on the auto-immune aspect to thyroid disorder and adrenal gland malfunction to be particularly interesting.

Explanation for 3-star rating:
While the book aims to empower patients by educating readers about the chemical p
Catherine
This book would be good for someone who knows very little about thyroid, but if you are already diagnosed with thyroid problems, you probably already know a good portion of what is in this book.
Bobbi
I have found the vitamin/supplement info useful in this book. Some of the dietary info seems extreme and nearly impossible. I do not know of a city that does not have fluoridated water. Bottled water is also a no-no. I guess the authors do not think you should drink water at all if you live in a city. Take what you find useful out of the book and chuck the rest.
Shauna
Parts of this book were extremely helpful. I skipped over a lot of the how and why but I definatly related to some of the symptoms of the authors patients. Their advice though was to push for test after test and I'm not that comfortable pushing my doctor. I have some natural remedies that they mention in the book so I'll try that first.
Emma
I honestly only used it as a reference for myself, to understand things better about MY thyroid. But I didn't read the whole thing, cover to cover; however, (for anyone wanting to learn more about their thyroid, or are simply interested for some reason,) I think this book will provide you with that, and perhaps more.
Susan Howson
May 02, 2013 Susan Howson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is losing hair and feeling tired
Useful in that it is really empowering to fight for your own health. Sad in that it is necessary to fight for your own health. Some of their tips are already working for me, so I'm pretty convinced to try more of them.

Easy, informative read for anyone who thinks they might be suffering from a thyroid issue.
Katonda
Full of information, and list of things to do, supplements to take. But with my first Endo. visit coming up, I'll wait for explainations of the tests that referred me to that Dr. and for any new test results before I'll think about taking any kind of supplements they recommended.
T.
Could do without the product placement and the "Call us for a consultation" plugs. Otherwise, informative regarding the thyroid issue, but repeat information for those who read "Care of the Soul" on mind-body connection (except there are specific things you can do).
Becca
THis book is great for the BEGINNER looking to understand what the heck is going on inside their body with thyroid issues. No new information for the well educated on this subject.

The supplement chapter seems like a sales pitch.

Amy
Good information to those people who are new to thyroid disease. I already am familar with most of the information in this book. I did enjoy reading about how the thyroid effects your adrenal glands and about adrenal exhuastion.
Mace
if you suspect issues with your thyroid,or someone in your family or even a friend, make sure to read or recommend this book. It's straight forward, to the point, helpful and informative.
Great book for anyone struggling with thyroid issues. Great advice on tests, direction for your doctor (if needed) and excellent resource list in the back.
Bridgett
I'm new to hypothyroidism and learned a lot here. However, I skipped over the more "Eastern" approaches to the thyroid issues.
Elaine
Jun 06, 2008 Elaine is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book written by a doctor who walks this talk because of his wife. Also, great reference tool for meeting with doctors!
Kim
Seriously, a tree had to die for this over rated ego trip?
Blythe Burton-teed
Definitely worth reading.
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Christine
Christine is currently reading it
May 21, 2015
M
M marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Mary Magee-Johnson
Mary Magee-Johnson marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Cyanemi
Cyanemi marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Willa Brown
Willa Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Marcia
Marcia added it
Apr 07, 2015
  • Living Well with Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You... That You Need to Know
  • The Thyroid Solution
  • Mastering the Zone: The Next Step in Achieving SuperHealth and Permanent Fat Loss
  • Job's Body: A Handbook for Bodywork
  • Physical Examination of the Spine and Extremities
  • The Book of Massage: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide To Eastern And Western Techniques
  • The Art of Sensual Massage
  • Sweet Deception: Why Splenda, Nutrasweet, and the FDA May Be Hazardous to Your Health
  • Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It
  • Ayurveda: Science of Self Healing
  • Woman Power: Transform Your Man, Your Marriage, Your Life
  • Thin Within
  • Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Families in Crisis
  • Tired of Trying to Measure Up
  • The Miracle Ball Method: Relieve Your Pain, Reshape Your Body, Reduce Your Stress
  • Bodymind
  • Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough: A Guide to Nine Biblical Fasts
  • Touching: The Human Significance of the Skin
Richard graduated Harvard and University of Pennsylvania, did research at the National Institutes of Health with Nobel Prize winner Marshall Nirenberg, and has been in private practice for twenty five years. In addition to his medical office work, he has been a member of the Clinical Faculty of the University of California Medical Center in San Francisco, a founding member of the American Holistic ...more
More about Richard L. Shames...
Feeling Fat, Fuzzy or Frazzled?: A 3-Step Program to: Beat Hormone Havoc, Restore Thyroid, Adrenal, and Reproductive Balance, and Feel Better Fast! Healing with Mind Power C The Gift Of Health: A Holistic Approach To Higher Quality, Lower Cost Health Care