Start by marking “Thyroid Power: Ten Steps to Total Health” as Want to Read:
Thyroid Power: Ten Steps to Total Health

Thyroid Power: Ten Steps to Total Health

Fatigue; weight gain; depression; arthritis; high cholestrol; low sex drive; skin, digestive, and female problems; abnormal blood pressure -- all may be symptoms of low thyroid, one of the most misdiagnosed disorders in America.

Thyroid Power can help you determine whether you're one of the millions who suffer from low thyroid. It discusses food, vitamins, and natural remed
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Thyroid Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thyroid Power

Amie
Sep 12, 2012 Amie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: symptomatic under-active thyroid sufferers
Recommended to Amie by: My awesome acupuncturist
Thyroid Power is a well-written, highly organized guide for anyone interested in improving or understanding their thyroid disorder. The author does a great job of making clinical information accessible to anyone without a medical or human sciences background. I found the chapters on the auto-immune aspect to thyroid disorder and adrenal gland malfunction to be particularly interesting.

Explanation for 3-star rating:
While the book aims to empower patients by educating readers about the chemical p
Rob
Jun 15, 2012 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think everyone over the age of 40 should read this book. Tired? Overweight? Those are just two of many chronic conditions discussed in this most insightful book. Easy to understand, even for Doctors. :)
Evelyn
Mar 09, 2014 Evelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thyroid Power by Richard Shames. Since I have thyroid problems I am always reading or searching ways to keep my thyroid under control. This book has very good advice to those with thyroid problems or anyone who may be searching for some health answers about the thyroid. Foods to advoid, how it affects other parts of the body along with what to talk to your doctor about testing for the thyroid and medications, etc. This book reminded me of different things I should be doing but over the years hav ...more
Shauna
Aug 23, 2010 Shauna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parts of this book were extremely helpful. I skipped over a lot of the how and why but I definatly related to some of the symptoms of the authors patients. Their advice though was to push for test after test and I'm not that comfortable pushing my doctor. I have some natural remedies that they mention in the book so I'll try that first.
Bobbi
May 19, 2010 Bobbi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have found the vitamin/supplement info useful in this book. Some of the dietary info seems extreme and nearly impossible. I do not know of a city that does not have fluoridated water. Bottled water is also a no-no. I guess the authors do not think you should drink water at all if you live in a city. Take what you find useful out of the book and chuck the rest.
Susan Howson
Apr 18, 2013 Susan Howson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is losing hair and feeling tired
Useful in that it is really empowering to fight for your own health. Sad in that it is necessary to fight for your own health. Some of their tips are already working for me, so I'm pretty convinced to try more of them.

Easy, informative read for anyone who thinks they might be suffering from a thyroid issue.
Caroline
Jul 06, 2016 Caroline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat helpful. If you are at all researching this subject, the themes are a good reminder of what you may already know. If you know little about this immune disorder, then it is a very good book to read. I found the end of the book more helpful than the beginning.
Marie-France
Somewhat useful; could've been made into a smaller book; there were a lot of anecdotes and stories; maybe a bit too much. But nonetheless helped me gain a bit more information about low-thyroid symptoms and options to help treat it.
Amy
Jul 12, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information to those people who are new to thyroid disease. I already am familar with most of the information in this book. I did enjoy reading about how the thyroid effects your adrenal glands and about adrenal exhuastion.
Katonda
Mar 14, 2008 Katonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-nutrition
Full of information, and list of things to do, supplements to take. But with my first Endo. visit coming up, I'll wait for explainations of the tests that referred me to that Dr. and for any new test results before I'll think about taking any kind of supplements they recommended.
Elaine
Jun 06, 2008 Elaine is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book written by a doctor who walks this talk because of his wife. Also, great reference tool for meeting with doctors!
Mace
Mar 20, 2008 Mace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if you suspect issues with your thyroid,or someone in your family or even a friend, make sure to read or recommend this book. It's straight forward, to the point, helpful and informative.
Apr 23, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for anyone struggling with thyroid issues. Great advice on tests, direction for your doctor (if needed) and excellent resource list in the back.
Catherine
Mar 12, 2015 Catherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
This book would be good for someone who knows very little about thyroid, but if you are already diagnosed with thyroid problems, you probably already know a good portion of what is in this book.
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it did not like it
Jun 27, 2014
Dave Hall
Dave Hall rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Terry
Terry rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2011
Tara
Tara rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2014
JanB
JanB rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2011
Pilar Leano
Pilar Leano rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Rena Jones
Rena Jones rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2011
Courtney Pine
Courtney Pine rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Wilhelmina
Wilhelmina rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Leanne
Leanne rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2012
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2008
Kennedy
Kennedy rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Caryn
Caryn rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Living Well with Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You... That You Need to Know
  • The Thyroid Solution
  • Parenting Today's Adolescent: Helping Your Child Avoid the Traps of the Preteen and Teen Years
  • The Cortisol Connection: Why Stress Makes You Fat and Ruins Your Health � And What You Can Do About It
  • Job's Body: A Handbook for Bodywork
  • Physical Examination of the Spine and Extremities
  • Woman Power: Transform Your Man, Your Marriage, Your Life
  • Iodine : Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It
  • Tired of Trying to Measure Up
  • Mastering the Zone: The Next Step in Achieving SuperHealth and Permanent Fat Loss
  • Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Families in Crisis
  • Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
  • The Book of Massage: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide To Eastern And Western Techniques
  • Basic Teachings of the Buddha
  • The Diet Cure
  • The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy, Gluten-free Meals the Easy Way
  • The Art of Sensual Massage
  • The Great Physician's Rx for Health and Wellness
Richard graduated Harvard and University of Pennsylvania, did research at the National Institutes of Health with Nobel Prize winner Marshall Nirenberg, and has been in private practice for twenty five years. In addition to his medical office work, he has been a member of the Clinical Faculty of the University of California Medical Center in San Francisco, a founding member of the American Holistic ...more
More about Richard L. Shames...