Start by marking “Overdrive” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176

Eric Walters

Overdrive (Orca Currents)

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  140 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
"We have to get out of here. There's nothing we can do. Besides, there are already people there to help and to call the police. There's nothing we can do but get in trouble." I hesitated. "Go! Get out of here!" I got the car moving. I had one eye on th
Published January 1st 2004 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Overdrive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overdrive

David Nawloka
Sep 29, 2009 David Nawloka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ssr
The person that changed the most in the story was Jake. He got his drivers license and his brother let him borrow his car. Jake went somewhere with his friend Mickey and they were going to a place where they show of cars. But after all the showing of cars they new people street raced after. Jake didn't want to stay but Mickey made him. Then they were leaving and Jake met one of his former friends and they street raced. Jakes former friend got in an accident and instead of stopping Jake went away ...more
Joaquin Lopez
Overdrive

I want to rate this book by the value of 3 stars it was boring so it made my hard to follow. I don't say this book was bad, because it gave me a big lesson. Jake is a 9th grade boy who got his driven license. That same afternoon Jake and his friend Mickey got together. Jack told him that his brother would start lending him his car, they thought that they would be the coolest in all the grade because nobody got that opportunity of riding a car, instead Jake had failed the grade and he is
Amari Washington
Mar 25, 2014 Amari Washington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mickey and jake, two teen boys in high school, are bestfriends. They are not the best students, but they are passing their classes. Jake is a bad influence on mickey. Mickey wants to be just like jake, so he does whatever jake does and what jake tells him to do. They are two well known bullies. They spend most of their evenings in detention after school. When their not in detention, their out getting in trouble with the law. One night they were out pass curfew racing with one of their buddies on ...more
Heidi
Apr 22, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
Ninth-grader Jake is the first in his class to get a drivers license. He older brother lets him drive his car and Jake is involved in a street-racing accident. He struggles to do the right thing while being led down another path by his best friend. The teen voice in this story is authentic.
Jaime
The ending to the book Overdrive was awesome. The character ended up doing the right thing. The ending was effective because his counsler talked to him and encouraged him to do the right thing. Which was confessing that he was kind of the cause for the big accident that had happended because of him street racing. He should of just did that all along instead of living with the guilt but he was scared.

In this book some characters had opinions on somethings. Jake's opinion on street racing was th
Lesly
Nov 23, 2010 Lesly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lesly
May 16, 2012 Lesly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book Overdrive was a really good book, it is about a boy named Jake and he
had a friend named Mickey, and another important character is Luke. Those three
boys all go to the same school. But one day they got in a car crash, Jake and
Mickey were in one car and Luke was in a other. And Luke was very hurt, but Luke
didn't know that Mickey and Jake caused it, no one knew but them. And they
didn't want to tell anyone because it was Mickey's fault, and after that Jake
changes.
The theme of the book
Jared S
Dec 16, 2015 Jared S rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I think that this book Overdrive by Eric Walters was an okay book to read. This book is about a ninth grader who had to learn his lesson about racing cars against other people. There are many races in the book because people just want to have bets or race in their free time. This book was very sad and depressing. There are many sad things that happen in this book. If you don't want to read any books that have sad endings then I suggest you should read something other than this book.
Me
Mar 08, 2013 Me rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The target audience for this series of books is reluctant readers. This has many drawbacks upon the book, especially that one never knows what happens after, or the full climax of the book. It's not bad authors, it's the format of these books. However I really don't like that there's not a full-fledge plot, so there automatically goes one star. Also, each of these books are about "hot topics". Some of which you'll care about and others which you won't.

Overdrive is about street racing, and the c
Lain
Overdrive

This book is good for people who like drama and racing. It tells you about the car its self and the driver Jack is the main character and he is in his teens, he go’s to a diner to get a bite and he ends up racing. An old friend Luke and after the race his old friend Luke wheat zooming past him and hits a car with a pregnant women in it. Jack is scared so he quickly drives home to get to his brother because it’s his car and he has to go get his girlfriend but she comes to him. The next
Megan
Jul 13, 2014 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
This was a really boring book. (view spoiler) There was also quite of bit of strong language. The only thing this book has going for it is that it's a very speedy read, but that's not a reason to read a book. I wouldn't recommend it.

Sam
May 14, 2015 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book a 5 star because it was so so good i recommend you to go read it now why i said that i say that because there so many surprises what happens to Jake and his friend. For example jake and his friend mickey go on a street race and find there selves in trouble once you get the book you will fall in love with it like i did there is 2 main characters and 1 problem.
Overdrive is a short story. In typical short story fashion, a series of events plays out quickly with characters you don't really get to know very well, and then it just ends. Targeted at young adults, it's a fast, easy, and clean read. Unlike some short stories, Overdrive does make sense overall and has a satisfactory ending. (IMHO, of course.)
Siting Zeng
May 29, 2015 Siting Zeng rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rate this book four stars because it is very dramatic. Jake (the main character) has got his drivers license. His brother, Andy let him borrow his car. But when his so long friend-enemy challenges him to a race. when he was racing, a distraction chain reaction causes a accident to happen. Jake is trying hard to convince him self that he did not get involved.I recommend this book because there is exciting parts in it if you want to see the exciting/surprising parts go and read the book now!
Cesar
Oct 26, 2015 Cesar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was pretty good because it has some excitement to it. I liked the part about the street race and what was going to happen next when they street raced. It was also interesting because I knew something had to happen when Jake used his brother's car to race.
Brandon Hinckley
Sep 09, 2015 Brandon Hinckley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was really good because it had stuff that i liked it was suspenseful. I would recommended this book to anyone that like suspense and action. The age group i recommend this book to is Jr high students. because it wasn't to long but it was really good.
Kelsey
Aug 22, 2010 Kelsey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is terrible. one of the worst books I've ever read. It's full of obvious statements, "'a coma!' That's serious.", and "head injuries are serious."
Overdrive is about a boy who kinda-sorta causes a car accident in the first 50 pages. The remaining 50 pages are him making suspicious statements to people like, "what happens if they catch the guy?","Suppose they were racing before the accident..like a couple of blocks before the accident, and the one guy shut it down?" and "But he wasn't i
Xiao Wen
Nov 27, 2011 Xiao Wen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 10th-grade
This book is basically describing the danger of overdrive. First, Jake just gets his license, which means he does not have any driving experiences. Second, Jake is just a teenager, he is too young to drive. And the most important thing is even a skilled driving person will be in accident when s/he overdrive, and Jake is way to far to be a skilled driver. Another message in this book is people usually do not want to get in trouble, which leads them to escape from the truth and being irresponsible ...more
Jordan Torrance
I enjoyed this book because it was it was straight to the point, it reminded me of my dad because he is in to cars and race them so it reminded me of him and i don't get to see him much.that is why i liked this book.
Timothy Wu

Even though this book was kinda short, the overall summary of it is good. It talks about high school people having cool cars, and the narrator borrows one from his cousin. He and his friend Mickey drive around town and suddenly bump into the guy he always hated. He raced him and got into an accident and the narrator tries to get out of it.

Overall I don't recommend this book since it's really short and can bore people easily. They could choose it if they want a book to read on the go that's fun

Dayjai G.
I think that this book is good for everyone i not telling what happens in the story because it's so good
Nik Fiset
this was a really good book
Darnaysha
Oct 08, 2009 Darnaysha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it is a very good book Jake is ecxited he has his license.His friend Mickey and him went street racing with Jakes brother's car.he street races his old mean friend Luke and he ends up having an accident. Jake does not run into the cars so he is not hurt but look is.Before the police could get there Jake was already gone.it is against the law to leave an anccident when you are appart of it.Jake is so worried that he goes to the hospital and checks on Luke.No one knows that Jake was appart of the ...more
Bobby
Jan 23, 2013 Bobby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A simple little book that I wanted to read because the premise sounded so good but this was certainly written for a VERY young readership. Do not remember it being a YA story but thats what it was. Not very original but does have a good message for young first-time drivers...and that is what it was meant to do!!
Danny Barman
Mar 04, 2008 Danny Barman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes interesting and suspenceful books
This is a really good book and the suspence never stops. A ninth graders just gets his license, and him and his friend go out at night. They become witnesses and maybe even the cause of a car accident. The boys have to choose whether to turn theirself in or to keep it a secret their whole life.
Zack
Feb 11, 2009 Zack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub, book-club
is that it is a good book it was really suspencful it will keep you on the edge of your seat. They do something really bad it is so good that i read it all in one night. They run from the cops if you want to know what happened then go and read it.
Gavin Poe
This book was not great, but not terrible either. The story line was unique and no book I have ever read had that similar of a plot. My criticisms include length and ending. The book needed to be longer so a better ending could develop.
Reggie
Dec 14, 2008 Reggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overdrive is about kid named Nick who just got his liscense and his brother let him use his car for one night, so Nick and his friends were driving, hanging out and a car came out of no where.....read more to find out......
Saraoxenfeld
Nov 20, 2009 Saraoxenfeld rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
I liked this book because this boy has some hard times on driving he got in a car accident hes scared if hes going to get arrested and he tells lies about it and he cares about his friends. his friend get memory lost.
Jessie
Nov 12, 2012 Jessie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canada
I don't know why I read so many Orca books a few years ago. I like them but I don't think I've given any of them a rating over 3 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Chat Room
  • Reaction
  • Kill Switch
  • The Brothers Torres
Eric was born in Toronto in 1957, which makes him "real old". But, as Eric says, "Just because I have to grow old doesn't mean that I have to grow up!" In his many roles as parent, teacher, social worker, youth sports coach and writer he is in constant contact with children and young adults. He draws from these experiences and feels that this helps him to capture the realistic interaction between ...more
More about Eric Walters...

Orca Currents (1 - 10 of 77 books)
  • 121 Express
  • Ace's Basement (Orca Currents)
  • Agent Angus
  • Alibi
  • Bang
  • Bear Market
  • Benched
  • Beyond Repair
  • The Big Apple Effect (Orca Currents)
  • The Big Dip (Orca Currents)