Start by marking “Unspeakable Words (The Sixth Sense #1)” as Want to Read:
Unspeakable Words (The Sixth Sense #1)

Unspeakable Words (The Sixth Sense #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,022 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
Special Agent John Flynn is everything Jerry Parker is not: dangerously handsome, coolly charismatic, and respected by his peers. Special Agent Parker is dedicated and meticulous, but his abrasive personality has given him a reputation for being difficult. When new information on a cold case appears, Parker is assigned to work with Flynn, and the sparks fly as their ...more
Published November 16th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press

Kaje Harper
Sep 22, 2012 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, mystery, paranormal
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this book, and only docked the half-star for the author violating one of the unwritten rules of M/M romance. Usually I'm all about throwing rules away, as long as the story is well written, which this was. But in this case I vote with the majority. (view spoiler) ...more
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
This book was unbelievably cute. I finished it in one sitting when I haven't been able to finish anything else for months.

Jerry is a socially awkward FBI agent. He's respected for his encyclopedic mind and his ability to sniff out information. The thing is that nobody likes working with him in the field because he's a bit of an uppity know-it-all. As a result Jerry never gets to be the superstar who makes the arrest. Bummer, right? Jerry thinks so.

John Flynn is the anti-Jerry. He's cool, slick,
Susan
Jan 10, 2014 Susan rated it liked it

This book was a pleasant surprise...

The paranormal element was fun.
The MC's were a nice opposites-attract mix.
The mystery kept me guessing.

But beware: this is a true GFY story and ALL the smexy happens off page and is only lightly referred to.

This book will not change your world. In fact, I read this 2 weeks ago and 1) forgot I hadn't even written a review and 2) had trouble remembering the story.

BUT, it's entertaining-enough while you're reading it (from what I recall) and I works as a good in
Rosa, really

To all the readers out there who decided to wait until the second book in this series (Walk a Mile) was published before starting this one:

description

Seriously, people who make intelligent decisions just piss me off.

Like a fool, I just said la-la-la to all the reviews that said:
This book needs a sequel.
When will there be a sequel?
Like, seriously, dude. SEQUEL IS NEEDED.
I think that last one was me after I read it the first time.

It's not that it ends on a cliffhanger--nothing that dramatic. But there are at
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Aug 12, 2013 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. Flynn (straight) and Jerry (gay) are special agents paired together to catch a serial killer. These guys are great together. I loved their easy-going banter, both before and after Flynn's telepathic issues come into play, as well as before and after they took things to the next level. I loved how they worked together to deal with and gain control of the powers and how they used them to help with the case. There is a slow build up for these guys - they dont even kiss ...more
Heller
Jan 05, 2014 Heller rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-pnr, mm-cops, mm-ltoyw
It needs to be said right out that this book needs a sequel.

(view spoiler)

This was such a different read. The PNR elements were so different but (view spoiler)

Flynn comes to come to San Francisco to do extra work on a se
Ami
Simsala
Dec 12, 2013 Simsala rated it really liked it
Funny and touching story.I love men who love cats!
I was tempted to give it 5 stars,but the mystery is a bit weak.Many questions were unanswered in this book which is definitely the start of a series - or a sequel at least.And the relationship between the two MC`s just has begun....
I really liked the slow build up - no too tight pants and sparking handshakes on the first pages....

It must be a pain in the ass to write a story with a mind-reading character.Not easy to avoid "thinking-mistakes" espe
Veronica /  V
Oct 27, 2015 Veronica / V rated it really liked it
I loved this story, I really did, the only reason that I didn't rate it 5 stars is because of this:
I was so looking forward to read the first sexual scene just to be so disappointed about it, call me a freak if you must but this is the way I see it.
Do you know how salty and sweaty you're after a run? let me tell you, very, very salty, you can't even lick your lips because the salt is disgusting.
How in Earth an author can write a sex scene when one of the characters just came back from a run all
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I really liked this story, there was a lot going for it, but really, it ended like that?
So not fair Ms Madison! I really hope you are working on a sequel right this minute! LOL

(view spoiler)

A nice easy read that I finished in one sitting! :)
Gigi
Jan 16, 2015 Gigi marked it as dnr-dnf-not-4-me
With so many FANTASTIC books out there ready to be read, I am taking this piece from Susan's review

...this is a true GFY story and ALL the smexy happens off page and is only lightly referred to.

and passing on this one.

Hannah
3.5 stars. Rounded up for Goodreads.

This is one of those instances where the overall impression a book leaves behind is greater than the sum of its individual components. Unspeakable Words is a good book, but a far from perfect one. Too many important aspects of the story are left unexplained, a few of the scenes are confusing or oddly structured, and one important aspect of the plot is hastily and clumsily resolved in a couple paragraphs of exposition near the end of the book. But in spite of t
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Dec 12, 2013 Bubbles Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I really liked it, would have probably loved it if it was longer and if the two main characters would have gotten together sooner. Nothing is shown of their relationship really of how that would work out. With GFY i guess i expect more of a story after they get together.

Hope there is a sequel
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This was a very amusing, short story. I enjoyed it very much and I'll definitely be reading it again.

Jerry Parker is a hard guy to get along with. He's basically a genius dedicated to his job but is so anal he's hard to work with. He's bitter because he's the 'go to' man when people need help but he's always taken off cases before he can finish one. John Flynn is the opposite. He's an adrenaline junkie with an almost perfect case record. He gets the case and he finds the criminal. When they're p
M'rella
The story wasn't concentrated on the police work entirely, a big portion of it was devoted to accepting and embracing life changes, not simply coping with them. Loved that.

Half a star off for the dirty (not in a good way at all) bj at the end of the book *shrug and shrug again*, and for the ugly cover. Someone, please help Flynn to carry that cross around his neck, and as for Jerry's arm - is there a doctor in the house? The man needs help!

...and what is it with the frying pans on the covers lat
Chris, the Dalek King
Wow. Sometimes you pick up a book not expecting a whole hell of a lot, and you get rather surprised by how much you love the story. That is what happened to me here. I honestly don't remember what prompted me to add this book to my TBR, but I sure am hella glad that I did. I love the paranormal aspects, and the characters were great. And I am very much looking forward to reading book two in the series.

The mystery could have been a little better structured, but overall a great read.

Morgana
I liked this book. A lot. I only wish some things were made clear. What I mean is that I would like to find out more about the artifact and see the Grimm Fairy Tale case resolved.

Well, the ending has a great opening for a sequel, so maybe we will see the Special Agents again. I sure hope so.

I loved Jerry and John. Loved the humour and the soundproof booth (those who already read the book know what I mean LOL).

All in all, that was a very enjoyable read.
Mandi
Oct 07, 2014 Mandi rated it really liked it
I simply adored this book. The main characters, the plot, the dialogue and chemistry...just loved it all.

I'm hoping the author makes this a series because there is just so much more to tell!

ETA - reread October 2014. Still loved the book and so happy the author finally published the next!
Lori K
Oct 07, 2014 Lori K rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Very funny. I want more of these 2.
Jenre
Oct 28, 2011 Jenre rated it really liked it
Why I bought the book: It had a lot of good reviews.

Plot: FBI agent Jerry is used to being passed around between departments. His brilliant mind is offset by his lack of people skills and so he isn't too surprised when he gets placed on a murder cold-case. There's some possible new evidence in this serial killer murder case and so Jerry gets paired with John, who is handsome, charming and straight. They clash heads for a while, especially because John ends up staying with Jerry, until an acciden
Christy Duke
I've always been fascinated by the FBI's profiling department, and, in particular, serial killer cases. I suppose the part that interests me is trying to figure out why they do it versus how. Of course, the more I've studied, the more I've realized that sometimes there is no answer to the why. Since I had been spectacularly impressed with Sarah Madison's work before, I was ready to jump right into this adventure.

Special Agent Jerry Parker is detail-oriented, a loner, an excellent researcher, a l
Ayanna
Apr 20, 2013 Ayanna rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
O_o check out the cover dude's deformed arm...

*sigh. How sad. The single arm he DOES have is deformed...

Post-Read EtA:
Godawful cover. Just godawful.
Hmm...3.5?

Aside from the cover, it was actually quite good. The paranormal element was really quite random and, in my opinion, not quite fully capitalized on.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
You have one underappreciated FBI agent forced to help another who is his opposite. Jerry's people skills are bad at best. Flynn can charm anyone.
They end up together a lot longer than they expected. Add an inconvenient powers Flynn gets from a strange artefact and Jerry has more problems than his attraction to a very beautiful straight guy.
There are so many things that aren't resolved that I can't help but wonder if there is a sequel planned. All we know about the artefact is where it came from
Meggie
Oct 05, 2014 Meggie rated it really liked it
A sequel to this part was released a couple of days ago, and of course I had to re-read this book first. And I done it, easily. The storyline wasn't extremely developed or long, but was enjoyable enough. I hope the second book goes deeper into a case or two. We will see!!! This time around I will rate the story with 4 stars. Flynn wasn't my favorite character, that's for sure, but Jerry, now him I liked!

2010/November/22 5 star rating
Damn this one was really great story. I loved every minute of
Natalie
Re-read 8/11/13: I still love this story, but this time I'm even more struck by how unfinished it is. The author's website mentions that a sequel is in the works. WANT.

----------
This is the best thing I've read in a while. It's well written and funny, and the paranormal element is incredibly interesting and well done. (I love stories about mind reading. There's an intimacy to it that is just delicious.) There are still a lot of loose threads, though, and the relationship between Flynn and Jerry
Natasha
Mar 30, 2015 Natasha rated it really liked it
Surprisingly enjoyable. 3.5 stars!

I can't imagine liking a paranormal book that is a little along the lines of Dr. Doolittle (author's words!), but it was really, really fun. And pretty cute. The romance, that is. The actual mystery... very back burner.

I've never read anything by Sara Madison, but I must say I really like her writing. Something about it is engaging.

Would recommend for a fast, easy little read.
Chris
Nov 26, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing
Excellent paranormal m/m romantic suspense about a very precise San Francisco-based FBI agent who's been shuffled around a lot because he's not easy to deal with. He gets assigned a temporary partner from Quantico because of a new lead in an old case. When his temporary partner ends up sleeping on his couch, his orderly world is disrupted and things start to get interesting. I'm definitely hoping for more books about these two!!
Maygirl7
May 19, 2015 Maygirl7 rated it really liked it
4.5 starsaftertaste: smiling pleasure
I want more.
Tam
Jul 29, 2012 Tam rated it really liked it
Jerry is an outstanding FBI officer at what he does, however he's also rather a social misfit and has been pulled off a case to pair up with an incoming agent Flynn, who is obsessed with a serial murder case he worked on in town a while ago. Flynn ends up staying at Jerry's and Flynn is everything Jerry isn't. Smooth, smart, on the way to the top, athletic and straight. However after a day or so of rubbing each other the wrong way they start to work well together, until Flynn touches something ...more
Grammy 1
Jun 30, 2013 Grammy 1 rated it it was amazing
I cannot shout it loud enough...I LOVE Sarah Madison!!!! What a find. After reading Boys of Summer recently (a read everyone should check out this year) I found Crying for The Moon and loved it as well. Now I have finished Unspeakable Words and like The Boys of Summer it has an element of ‘other worldliness’. This is to say, it is not a typical Paranormal Story, and yet it could be. I will explain.
Special Agent Jerry Parker is in the FBI. He is gay and that doesn’t always fit in with the good ol
  • A Reason To Believe
  • The Long Way Home
  • Like Coffee and Doughnuts (Dino Martini Mysteries, #1)
  • Hide Out (Private Dicks, #2)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Pale as a Ghost (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #1)
  • Don't Look Back
  • GhosTV (PsyCop #6)
  • Urban Shaman
  • 72 Hours
  • Private Eye (Liaisons #1)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Deadly Nightshade (Deadly Mystery, #1)
  • The Ghost on My Couch
  • The Hanged Man's Ghost (The Night Wars, #1)
  • Loving Luki Vasquez (Vasquez & James, #1)
  • Houseboat on the Nile (Spy vs. Spook, #1)

Sarah Madison has a large dog, and an even bigger horse, too many cats, and a very patient boyfriend. She enjoys photography, hiking with her German Shepherd, and competing her horse in the sport of combined training and eventing. Writing has become a passion that sometimes
More about Sarah Madison...

The Sixth Sense (3 books)
  • Walk a Mile (The Sixth Sense, #2)
  • Truth and Consequences (The Sixth Sense, #3)

“You know,” Flynn said, pausing to look over the brim of the glasses at him, “when you start shouting „soundproof booth!‟ I can pretty much tell you‟re thinking about me.”
“As long as the „what‟ remains a mystery, I‟ll die a happy man,” Jerry said.”
5 likes