Start by marking “What a wonderful world! #1” as Want to Read:
What a wonderful world! #1

What a wonderful world! #1 (What a Wonderful World! #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  847 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
I primi volumi di Inio Asano apparsi pionieristicamente in Italia per Kappa Edizioni, molto prima dell'inizio della ASANO COLLECTION!

Nella caotica Tokyo si intrecciano le vicende di una galleria composita di personaggi: Toga ha lasciato l'università e vive con la sua tartaruga in un vecchio appartamentino senza bagno sognando il rock. Hana è perseguitata da un corvo parlan
Paperback, Manga-san, 202 pages
Published 2005 by Kappa Edizioni (first published May 19th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about What a wonderful world! #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What a wonderful world! #1

Seth T.
Oct 26, 2011 Seth T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
What a Wonderful World! by Inio Asano

Across the canon of the living dead, the spread of zombification has represented (or been said to represent) any number of social nightmares. In Invasion of the Body Snatchers, it was communism or consumerism or nothing at all, depending on whom you ask. In The Dawn of the Dead, Romero was said to have taken on consumerism. Or maybe he took on social hierarchies and the power struggles between the haves and the have-nots, between the whites and everyone else. Depends on who you ask. Still, Weste
Chibineko
Oct 28, 2010 Chibineko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This manga only has one thing wrong with it- that it is in danger of getting passed over because it isn't as slick or flashy as the other stuff out there right now. While readers of Asano's other works such as 'Solanin' will be used to his understated yet powerful manga, those who haven't yet discovered his work might not notice it because it doesn't have a ninja or busty young woman on the cover.

The stories in this first volume are varied, yet all interact in some format. The same picture might
Tyler Dykema
Nov 15, 2011 Tyler Dykema rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of manga, fans of Inio Asano
Recommended to Tyler by: James McQuaid
This review will be for both volumes of What a Wonderful World! by Inio Asano.

There's honestly not a lot I can say about this manga. Told as a series of separate simultaneously occurring events, WAWW is a beautifully drawn graphic novel. The characters are relate-able, albeit forgettable. Each chapter (track) is a separate mini-story and in the final few chapters each are loosely tied together. While this sounds like a great idea for a graphic novel, it is weakly wrapped up and feels rushed. We'
Conico
Jun 25, 2012 Conico rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can understand why a lot of people don't "get" this graphic novel. The book doesn't exactly draw you in, the plot doesn't flow seamlessly from one vignette to the next, and it's not easy to see how the vignettes are connected. Actually, Asano's "What a Wonderful World" is rather mundane, and I mean that in the best possible way. It somehow captures the realities of life... that is, life for the younger generations.

The vignettes, or tracks, as they are called in the book, are connected to each
Matisse
Aug 02, 2015 Matisse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'What A Wonderful World' is a collection of short, interconnected vignettes that focus on the aimlessness and occasional hopelessness of young adulthood (from middle school up through the mid-late twenties here). The artwork is gorgeous, and the cinematic style has always endeared Asano in my eyes.

So. Asano was screwed by the publishing industry.

This volume and its finale were written before 'Solanin', Asano's masterpiece. 'Solanin' was one of my favorite manga of all time during my high schoo
Helen
Mar 06, 2015 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults and teens
Recommended to Helen by: No-one.
This is a well-drawn quirky graphic novel consisting of a series of vignettes highlighting the anomie of teens in an unnamed Japanese city, as each one struggles with some aspect of reaching adulthood - such as passing a test to get into college, settling down and getting a "responsible" job as opposed to pursuing a career as a rock musician, working out problems in relationships, coming to terms with adulthood.

Each vignette seems to "flirt" with suicide or oblivion in some way - in one of the
Misa Niranon
Sep 05, 2015 Misa Niranon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey, this book was pretty good. I thought that there was an anime named after this but I might be thinking of something else. Too lazy to look it up at this moment. I really thought that this was going to be one of those series where it's revolved around one story so that was probably why I was so confused when I realized that the main character in the chapter before was no longer in the rest.
The short stories are entertaining to me and give off that "/sigh Life is wonderful" type of feel. It w
April
Sep 10, 2014 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is made up of a series of short stories about young people who are out of high school and trying to find contentment in their lives through balancing the harsh realities of the world and the hopes and dreams they had when younger. It's well done and the stories aren't all downers or optimistic either.

What I did find confusing was that the stories don't necessarily interlock with one another even when the protagonists look the same so occasionally I thought I was reading a different sto
Derek Parker
Apr 02, 2016 Derek Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had the two volumes of What a Wonderful World! for some time, but I've just now gotten around to reading them, and doing so in preparation of our March manga episode of the podcast devoted to two recent English publications from Asano. The stories in these two volumes are all interconnected in some way, making them what I've called in my scholarship "graphic cycles," a comics equivalent to a short-story cycle. The style of the individual pieces remind me a lot of Yoshihiro Tatsumi's style o ...more
Zane Carey
not my thing, but well written. Syrup was my favorite.
Jerome Cristoffer
Overall it was okay. I didn't expect anything of it other than it being slice-of-life. A couple of stories were really nice; I easily related to them, especially in the transitional period I am presently in. Some of the stories I understood but I just didn't get anything out of it; I tried, I really did but I just didn't care. I guess that's what Inio Asano was trying to covey: that everyone lives different lives. Some we can understand and relate to while others we just don't understand (whethe ...more
Patrick Nickell
Jul 12, 2016 Patrick Nickell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Asano' early work. About a dozen or so vignettes that are loosely tied together. Not long enough for any investment in the characters or story and the only thing that I enjoyed was the touch points that barely tied all of them together. I'm a big fan of his work but this isn't good. I'll give the second Volume a try but just because I want to read everything by him.
Michael Scott
to do: a collection of short stories, mostly centering on the unpredictable moments in life. rather dark: the lead characters commit suicide, get hit by trucks, die trying childish stunts, are shunned by society, recede in drunkenness, quit their jobs and live purposeless, etc. the characters are loosely recurring, giving a weak character-based link between stories-- besides the strong thematic connection--and drawing the reader into the book, page after page. the symbolistic is omnipresent; it ...more
Rusty
Examining your dreams? Putting your life on a new track? Considering the absurdity of death? Can you laugh in the face of reality? The author considers all of these questions in this little read. So as you look forward to the days and months ahead think about these questions, too.
Apollo's Crow
I don't know if I "liked" this, but it certainly had some odd unconscious effects. I read it before bed and found myself later tossing and turning all night, revisiting episodes from my past and ruminating on situations of my present that really seemed to have nothing to do with each other, much less the book I had read. Something unique is happening with this book, and I'm too tired to quite put my finger on it right now. To be continued.
NotWrong
Apr 01, 2015 NotWrong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of a magnificent showcase of life's greatest tragedies, absurdities, and shortcomings, as well as the paths each individual person takes in an attempt to amend them.
xebec
Feb 28, 2016 xebec rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure if Solanin was a lot better or if I'm just getting tired of Asano's disaffected teen thing, but this collection of stories felt just so-so to me.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
interconnected short stories about teens and young adults primarily. Each character seemed to live on the outer edge of their communities--they just didn't quite fit in with the rest of the world out there. Some are morbid but made me smile or chuckle because of the unexpectedness of it all. Like the panel when Syrup is flying and then the next page states he died. Or the boy who flips over the railing appearing to have committed suicide but only grabs the bar as he still wants to live.

Unexpect
Amanda
Mar 24, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of interconnected short stories along the same vein as Solanin. I'm looking forward to the second volume.
Philip
Feb 24, 2014 Philip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Melancholy stories of the lives of ordinary young people.
Forrest Norvell
May 03, 2010 Forrest Norvell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't Raymond Carver, but some of the stories approach an offhanded grace a little reminiscent of Denis Johnson or Salinger (or, you know, Haruki Murakami or Banana Yoshimoto). Any shortcomings in the stories or characterization are more than made up for by Asano's linework, which is loose and graceful. He also writes young woman characters beautifully.

For those who have read Solanin, I think this series suits Asano's style better; the loosely interlinked stories are suggestive and the resu
Eloisa
May 16, 2014 Eloisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kim Pham
Feb 09, 2015 Kim Pham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MUNDANE, IN THE BEST POSSIBLE WAY
Mikael Kuoppala
Jan 18, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Inio Asano gives us a beautiful collection of short stories about everyday people at a crossroads. Lyrical, opaque and beautiful, these tales are all about reclaiming individuality and refusing to adapt to the expectations of other people and society. Basically every story follows the same formula of presenting a character and ending in a cathartic moment of taking a leap of faith. Still, there is enough artistic vision in each installment, making them work on their own perfectly.
Jenna
3 to 3.5 stars. I like the concept of short stories that tell a tale of modern life, but then if they're interwoven back and forth, wish I could tell the characters apart better... or have a bit more time with each of them before going to the next story.

The second volume was also interesting and some of the characters seemed familiar, but again, I got confused, especially when shinigami came into it.
Koonu
Apr 04, 2011 Koonu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
This world that we live in is gentle yet sad, fun yet sorrowful, strong yet ephemeral...
The cruelty of childhood and the delusion of adulthood (dreams vs. reality), beautifully caught in manga vignettes. None of that silly anime stuff, i.e. super powers, giant robots, wacky faces and ridiculous plot. Just great art with stories that resonate.
Naailah Patel
Jul 16, 2015 Naailah Patel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Living sucks. And yet, I still wanna live." this is just one of the beautiful words from What a Wonderful World! Composed of mini stories, this 2 volume manga explores themes like life, what it means to live, friendship and death. Fans of solanin won't be disappointed by the stories.
Lord
Oct 30, 2010 Lord rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, slice-of-life
Inio Asano can create stories with such an athmosphere that I can really cannot compare to any other manga artists I know, with the exception of Hiroki Endo. These stories may not be as good as Solanin but they're still a shining gem in my manga collection.
Rod Brown
Partway through, I realized I'd read this book years ago. I can see why I forgot it, as it just consists of short stories that have some interesting art and/or premises but don't really amount to much.
Book Club Discussion Questions 1 11 Nov 26, 2010 12:33AM
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
  • All My Darling Daughters
  • not simple
  • Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Tekkon Kinkreet: Black and White
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
  • Wandering Son, Vol. 2
  • Onani Master Kurosawa 1
  • The Walking Man
  • PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001 (Pluto, #1)
  • Dorohedoro, Vol. 1
  • Dororo, Vol. 1
  • To Terra..., Vol. 1
  • 7 Billion Needles, Vol. 1
  • Genkaku Picasso, Vol. 1
  • Sakamichi No Apollon: 1
Inio Asano (浅野 いにお Asano Inio, born September 22, 1980 in Ishioka, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan) is a Japanese manga author. Asano created the acclaimed manga Solanin which was released as a feature film in Japan in April 2010, starring Aoi Miyazaki. He is known for his character driven, realist stories that range from slice of life stories to psychological horror. In 2001 he won the first prize in t ...more
More about Inio Asano...

What a Wonderful World! (2 books)
  • What a Wonderful World!, Vol. 2