Beguiled

Beguiled

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  13 reviews

Genre: Lesbian Historical

The Civil War has torn Belle Holloway's world apart. Left to manage her Georgia plantation with little help, she is exasperated when the Union Army adds to her burden by leaving a wounded soldier behind. But upon closer examination, Belle is shocked to discover the soldier is actually a beguiling woman.

Clad in male attire, stubborn, brash Alice O

Published November 16th 2010 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about Beguiled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beguiled

Mommamaeve
I first must say, this book was recommended to me. Now you can imagine my hesitance at first. I approached this book with the mentality-- I might be 60-something, but I am not dead. I like what I call “smut,” or what I also refer to as my “dessert.” Beguiled was my first lesbian encounter with smut. With that in mind, I truly enjoyed the book.

I can only speak from my experiences in life and the knowledge I have gained from those experiences. Throw my education in there, and I would like to thin...more
Saritza
I've been searching for strong lesbian erotic romance that read like the many m/m books I read and love without either heroine ending up dead or alone. After sending an email off to a few folks in the industry whose reading tastes are similar to mine and who I know read lesbian romance, I was recommended this author and book to read. Loved this quick, historical romance and am so grateful to the several people who recommended this book to me. Am picking up more of Paisley's books for sure!
MT
Nov 18, 2010 MT is currently reading it
I haven't read the entire book, just bits and pieces while I was formatting it, but what I read I liked very much. Lesbian erotica isn't necessarily a huge seller for us, which is a shame. I'm sort of an equal opportunity reader; I'll read m/f, m/m, and f/f, as well as menage in whatever combination. If the book is good, the gender really shouldn't matter. IMHO. :)
M A
Alice and Belle make a memorable, sweet, and erotic couple. What I particularly like about "Beguiled" is Smith's ease in creating a solid relationship between the two heroines prior to their sexual involvement. I think sometimes authors writing erotic romance have it so rough because if they invest too much time in developing emotional intimacy and sexual tension, readers seeking erotic titillation feel their time is wasted. I enjoy the tension leading to consummation and this book doesn't disap...more
Sheila
Very well written historical f/f romance. Set towards the end of the Civil War, Belle must do the best she can to ensure that she and her mother have a roof over their heads and food. When the Yankees come she makes a bargain to house two of their wounded. One man is mortally wounded, the other is not a man but a woman. Belle is fascinated by Alice. At first neither trusts the other but their feelings build. Together they fight off bushwackers and more Yankees who want to destroy Belle's home. A...more
KV Taylor
This might be a 3.5 star read, but it gets 4 stars for avoiding a lot of Civil War fiction cliches -- after making me think it was totally about to succumb to them.

Most importantly, Belle and Alice are a beautiful couple who made my heart ache. Each physical encounter between them upped the ante so much that it hurt to read, and yet I couldn't stop and read the whole thing in two sittings.

My biggest issues came from the telegraphing in the writing style, but either it stopped after the first two...more
Pricelessfem
This was so sexy!!!!! I had to put it down once or twice to cool off!
Donna J
3 1/2 stars

This story started strong but then the plot took a turn and I didn't enjoy it as much. Being tagged as historical I was looking forward to reading more about The Civil War and the MC's fight for survival BUT it seemed that was more used as a means to get the two MC's together.

One thing that didn't sit right with me was her new love interest wearing her missing (view spoiler) husbands clothes. This had nothing to do with gender but more a respect iss...more
Maxine
3.5 stars -- enjoyable lesbian romance. Overall I felt it was too rushed and there needed to be more UST and build-up of Belle and Alice's relationship. The sex is hot, though, and I did enjoy the characters and setting. Did find it a bit odd that the first half of the book is in first person (Belle's POV) and then Alice's third person POV is suddenly added. It was a bit jarring. But it's definitely worth a read.
Aidee Ladnier
Love, love, loved Belle and Alice. I was rooting for their happily ever after from the start.
cain
Apr 08, 2012 cain rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: lgbt
i was expecting a historical romance, but that was problem on my part, given the length of the book. there were more sex scenes than anything else and they werent even great.
Kent
Excellent book!
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Jorgie Rea
Jorgie Rea marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Nicola K.
Nicola K. marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Whoopy
Whoopy marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Allison Jordan
Allison Jordan marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Sandra
Sandra added it
Jun 18, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Dark714
Dark714 marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
I’m Paisley Smith! I am a full time freelance writer and can usually be found in front of my computer either writing, chatting, promoting or plotting. It’s a glamorous life…working in one’s pajamas.

I attended college in the Deep South where I obtained a slew of totally useless degrees and developed an unrelenting sense of humor.

My books can be found at Ellora’s Cave , Loose Id, and Cleis Press!

I’...more
More about Paisley Smith...
First Taste (Naughty Nooners) Beyond Curious Nurse Lovette Her Beguiling Bride (Beguiled, #2) Birthday Girl