Start by marking “Beguiled” as Want to Read:
Beguiled

Beguiled (Beguiled #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  16 reviews

Genre: Lesbian Historical

The Civil War has torn Belle Holloway's world apart. Left to manage her Georgia plantation with little help, she is exasperated when the Union Army adds to her burden by leaving a wounded soldier behind. But upon closer examination, Belle is shocked to discover the soldier is actually a beguiling woman.

Clad in male attire, stubborn, brash Alice O

Published November 16th 2010 by Paisley Smith

To ask other readers questions about Beguiled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beguiled

Mommamaeve
I first must say, this book was recommended to me. Now you can imagine my hesitance at first. I approached this book with the mentality-- I might be 60-something, but I am not dead. I like what I call “smut,” or what I also refer to as my “dessert.” Beguiled was my first lesbian encounter with smut. With that in mind, I truly enjoyed the book.

I can only speak from my experiences in life and the knowledge I have gained from those experiences. Throw my education in there, and I would like to thin
Saritza
I've been searching for strong lesbian erotic romance that read like the many m/m books I read and love without either heroine ending up dead or alone. After sending an email off to a few folks in the industry whose reading tastes are similar to mine and who I know read lesbian romance, I was recommended this author and book to read. Loved this quick, historical romance and am so grateful to the several people who recommended this book to me. Am picking up more of Paisley's books for sure!
MT
Nov 18, 2010 MT is currently reading it
I haven't read the entire book, just bits and pieces while I was formatting it, but what I read I liked very much. Lesbian erotica isn't necessarily a huge seller for us, which is a shame. I'm sort of an equal opportunity reader; I'll read m/f, m/m, and f/f, as well as menage in whatever combination. If the book is good, the gender really shouldn't matter. IMHO. :)
M A
Alice and Belle make a memorable, sweet, and erotic couple. What I particularly like about "Beguiled" is Smith's ease in creating a solid relationship between the two heroines prior to their sexual involvement. I think sometimes authors writing erotic romance have it so rough because if they invest too much time in developing emotional intimacy and sexual tension, readers seeking erotic titillation feel their time is wasted. I enjoy the tension leading to consummation and this book doesn't disap ...more
Sheila
Very well written historical f/f romance. Set towards the end of the Civil War, Belle must do the best she can to ensure that she and her mother have a roof over their heads and food. When the Yankees come she makes a bargain to house two of their wounded. One man is mortally wounded, the other is not a man but a woman. Belle is fascinated by Alice. At first neither trusts the other but their feelings build. Together they fight off bushwackers and more Yankees who want to destroy Belle's home. A ...more
KV Taylor
This might be a 3.5 star read, but it gets 4 stars for avoiding a lot of Civil War fiction cliches -- after making me think it was totally about to succumb to them.

Most importantly, Belle and Alice are a beautiful couple who made my heart ache. Each physical encounter between them upped the ante so much that it hurt to read, and yet I couldn't stop and read the whole thing in two sittings.

My biggest issues came from the telegraphing in the writing style, but either it stopped after the first two
Jen
"Beguiled" by Paisley Smith is a book that combines a fascinating story with two strong lead characters set during the Civil War. Belle Holloway awaits for news on her husband who joined the war while trying to keep their plantation in Georgia up and running. When a Union soldier is left for her to care for, she is shocked to find out that, underneath the uniform is not a young man but a young woman!

Alice O'Malley makes no apologies for her male garb or her sexuality. Belle finds herself filled
Lbousson
Original Novella Review

NOTE: This is the original novella I am reviewing here. I just found out that Paisley Smith has totally re-written the story and turned it into a +200 page book. I'll read that one and review later.

Beguiled is a short novella written in first person. I really like turn of the century novels; this one is set during the Civil War. It was a fast, enjoyable read.

I cared about the characters and wanted to know what happened to them. Paisley always puts sexy bits into her writ
Pricelessfem
This was so sexy!!!!! I had to put it down once or twice to cool off!
Donna J
3 1/2 stars

This story started strong but then the plot took a turn and I didn't enjoy it as much. Being tagged as historical I was looking forward to reading more about The Civil War and the MC's fight for survival BUT it seemed that was more used as a means to get the two MC's together.

One thing that didn't sit right with me was her new love interest wearing her missing (view spoiler) husbands clothes. This had nothing to do with gender but more a respect iss
Maxine
3.5 stars -- enjoyable lesbian romance. Overall I felt it was too rushed and there needed to be more UST and build-up of Belle and Alice's relationship. The sex is hot, though, and I did enjoy the characters and setting. Did find it a bit odd that the first half of the book is in first person (Belle's POV) and then Alice's third person POV is suddenly added. It was a bit jarring. But it's definitely worth a read.
Aidee Ladnier
Love, love, loved Belle and Alice. I was rooting for their happily ever after from the start.
cain
Apr 08, 2012 cain rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: lgbt
i was expecting a historical romance, but that was problem on my part, given the length of the book. there were more sex scenes than anything else and they werent even great.
Kent
Excellent book!
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Tiril Mhyre
Tiril Mhyre marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
M
M marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Pin
Pin marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Fub51n
Fub51n marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Kit ♪
Kit ♪ marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Carola
Carola marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
  • The Sublime and Spirited Voyage of Original Sin
  • Backwards to Oregon
  • Better Off Red (Vampire Sorority Sisters, #1)
  • Everafter (everafter, #1)
  • The Spanish Pearl
  • Wild
  • Turning the Page
  • Veritas
  • When Dreams Tremble
  • The Amethyst Cat Caper (A Tea House Tale, #1)
  • Vixen
  • Branded Ann
  • Without Warning (Shaken, #1)
  • Lessons
  • The Secret of St. Claire
  • Always Faithful (The Faithful Series, #1)
  • Behind the Pine Curtain
  • Pennance
I’m Paisley Smith! I am a full time freelance writer and can usually be found in front of my computer either writing, chatting, promoting or plotting. It’s a glamorous life…working in one’s pajamas.

I attended college in the Deep South where I obtained a slew of totally useless degrees and developed an unrelenting sense of humor.

My books can be found at Ellora’s Cave , Loose Id, and Cleis Press!

I’
More about Paisley Smith...

Beguiled (2 books)
  • Her Beguiling Bride (Beguiled, #2)
First Taste (Naughty Nooners) Beyond Curious Nurse Lovette Her Beguiling Bride (Beguiled, #2) Birthday Girl