Start by marking “The King of the Crags (The Memory of Flames, #2)” as Want to Read:
The King of the Crags (The Memory of Flames, #2)

The King of the Crags (The Memory of Flames #2)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  497 ratings  ·  40 reviews
In his "utterly fascinating" (Book Smuggler) debut, The Adamantine Palace, Stephen Deas "restored [dragons] to all their scaly fire- breathing glory" (Daily Telegraph). Now, as the Realms teeter on the brink of war, the fate of humanity rests in the survival of one majestic white dragon.

Prince Jehal has had his way-now his lover Zafir sits atop the Realms with hundreds of
Published February 1st 2011 by Roc Hardcover (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The King of the Crags, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King of the Crags

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienBeyond Bridalveil Fall by Sheryl SealBeyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingBeyond the World of Man by Sheryl Seal
Best Dragon Books
116th out of 208 books — 179 voters
Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsThe Selection by Kiera CassEverneath by Brodi AshtonA Million Suns by Beth RevisExiled by RaShelle Workman
Breath Taking Covers Of 2011-2012
384th out of 501 books — 874 voters

More lists with this book...

Ranting Dragon

It’s been three months since I enjoyed and reviewed The Adamantine Palace, book one of A Memory of Flames by Stephen Deas. Today, I review its sequel. The King of the Crags has everything The Adamantine Palace had and more. Though the story of Deas’ epic dragon trilogy continues in this book, I will limit this review to only very minor spoilers from the first volume.

Continuing in chaos
I said about the previous book, “Dragons, politics, intrigue, poison, ma
Liviu
The King of Crags continues the story started in The Adamantine Palace, deepens it and enlarges it, while the last 50 pages are just awesome setting up a third novel that should be a cracker. In some ways The King of the Crags is a middle novel so the major threads (the human-dragon interaction and the fight for supremacy among the Dragon Kings and Queens) are not solved, but there are a lot of things happening too. The novel is even more brutal that the first one, darker and more cynical with n ...more
CaroleHeidi
What I Liked: The pace of the story is carefully measured, never too slow, often fast and always keeping you reading all the way through.

The characters, though not all likeable, are all thorough and believable and you find yourself endlessly curious about what each of them is plotting or planning against the others. Stephen Deas never gives too much away about any of them yet at the same time never makes them so closed that you don’t care for them either. I have a passionate dislike for a few ch
Brittany
This book does not qualify as a fluffy dragon novel. Perhaps it's reading it on the heels of Last Argument of Kings, but I've had it about up to here with grim violence and gritty fantasy. The dragons were still fine, the characters were still interesting, but Deas doesn't have much of a snap to his writing, and he's trying to give things more weight (Night of Knives, Scorpion King, Justice and Vengeance) with capital letters than they merit. I'm reminded of Douglas Adams: “Capital Letters Were ...more
SporadicReviews.com (Kevin Bayer)
I just finished reading The King of Crags, book two of the Memory of Flames series, by Stephen Deas. I had a hard time at first knowing what was going on, who was whom, and what their motivations were; the book apparently picks up right after the events of first book and, to me, does little to explain what came before except for a little bit in passing that can be inferred from conversations or from other events. But once I got into the book, I couldn't put it down!

I happen to like a good dragon
Sachin Dev
Second book in the Memory and Flames series. Stephen Deas still plays to his strengths, that is a jet setting story burning on rocket fuel with multiple POVs, bloody battles fought in the air, some bits of magic thrown in for good measure, not a lot of world building but enough hints to visualize a fantastic one, and giant fire breathing mad dragons hurtling through the air and slamming into each other, searing up everything around them.

A good book that is again a breathless frenetic read. Deas
Pauline Ross
The second book of a trilogy is always intriguing. Will there be a change of tempo or a new direction, or will it simply carry on from the first book? In this case, the answer is - both. The prologue overlaps directly with the last section of book one, and is perhaps the second best opening I've ever encountered after 'Tigana', although - obviously - for very different reasons. It's funny and tragic at once, it summarises some of the story so far while also capturing the essence of the character ...more
Shane Kiely
Takes a different approach to the first instalment initially at least in that it spends a long section focusing on (an essentially new) character rather than jumping between the various subplots (which I did prefer slightly). If this had persisted throughout it would've felt more like a collection of interrelated novellas than a single novel (thankfully it goes back to the original format eventually. The fantasy element gradually starts to seep into the political intrigue stuff as it progresses ...more
Carmen
2,5 stars
Okay, so... the thing is, with this series, that I don't particularly like the story-world. There is nothing alluring about it. It's very dark, in a depressing sort of way. I've always liked dragons, but I don't really liked these ones. Well, I like The White, even though she's maybe a little too much of a monster most of the time. But the dialogues she has with Kemir is very entertaining. Mostly because Kemir is the only character, in this book, I actually like. I can't seem to identif
Susanne
Dragons! Villains! Treachery and intrigue! Bloody excellent. I liked The Adamantine Palace enough to read the second book in the series, and I'll definitely be picking up The Order of the Scales.

The writing is still a bit awkward in places, but the world-building is fantastic. I also like that there's no black-and-white good or bad guys here, and whilst the characters change alliances to achieve their goals, so the reader's perception of their motives changes constantly, leading to a frequent re
Ell Eastwood
I kinda wanna give this one three stars instead of four because there was a lot more misogyny in this book. So many female characters killed off, and usually they were raped/almost raped before that. Ugh, give me a break.

But the story was as good as in the first book, so four stars it is. I'm enjoying the story, the mythology, the dragons, and gods help me even all the characters. Especially Jehal, and I do not want to like him. Yet I do. And him and Lystra? I like it way too much, which of cour
Doug
I really like Deas' dragons -- and by this point in the series there are
two distinct kinds. The book is filled with action and intrigue, and a
fair bit of fire-breathing.

Deas does a good job making a whole series of essentially unlikable,
morally bankrupt characters at least entertaining or interesting, even
if we don't sympathize with them (nor should we, really).

The book is flawed structurally, in that the book isn't a sequel, it's next chapter, there is very little to remind you what was happen
Catrine
I have some very mixed feelings about this book. It took well over half the book for me to start caring about the plot or any of the characters, and at times the plot was hard to follow. Some of the characters, particularly Zafir, felt flat and almost like a caricature. On the other hand I liked how Jahel is described, and was surprised to find myself rooting for him. The dragons are very well described, and I like how thorough the author has been in that regard. But overall I found the book som ...more
Gazbok
as engaging as its predecessor (the adamantine palace) the plot keeps twisting, can't wait to read the final instalment.
Lynne
The writer is excellent, the story held me - but, as another writer commented about the Memory of the Flames books - I am fed up with the senseless, endless violence that dominates this series (I missed the first book, so I cannot comment on that). I love gut-wrenching stories - but the direction of this series (I *did* finish reading the two books I picked up) left me wanting - and steered me away from reading any other works of Stephen Deas.

I gave three stars because I appreciate the talent of
Liberty Gilmore
The backstabbing, betraying, deceiving inhabitants of the Realms are back, and as busy double crossing each other as ever. Zafir is Speaker, thanks to Prince Jehal, but doing a terrible job, making the cunning prince question whether he made the right choice helping her gain power. War is threatening to erupt at any moment, and it will take more than a little careful manoeuvring of chess pieces to prevent it. But first, Jehal needs to decide what side he is on.

Fantastic blood and battles fantasy
Emeyin
Read this right after I read the first book so I had a good grasp of who everyone was. I couldn't put this book down. Loved the political intrigue and you couldn't really pin down who was the "good" guy. Also, I liked that no character is safe from being killed or crippled so you always have that sense of danger. I actually liked all that stuff more than the dragon portions. They just seem like monsters to me.

Lastly, I am not sure why the book was titled King of the Crags, unless it was meant f
Ashley
Much better than the first book. Very fast paced with constant plots of betrayal. And of course lots more dragons!
Ingrid
Second book in the series. It's still all about the struggle for power and political situation as in book 1, The Adamanite Palace, I found the first half very slow going, dragging through plot lines explored in book 1. I wanted more dragon focused action, more about their story, which did come, albeit in a piecemeal form. The second half of the book was definitely better than the first half and overall I found it enjoyable, I was left wanting more. Some really good story lines in here but I also ...more
Ubiquitousbastard
Like the First Law Trilogy, this series got me interested and then proceeded to crush my soul. King of the Crags actually seems to bump up the stakes and pretty much no one gets out of this book without some sort of tragedy. Besides that, somehow the author manages to make you sympathize with the characters (even when they're terrible people)...just so it can hurt when he ruins them. I did not see some of the twists coming, I don't think it was possible for them to be seen, sometimes. The charac ...more
Dan Brotherton
I read the first book in this series, decided to give the second book a shot. I won't include any spoilers, but I only got past the first division of this book. I just couldn't continue, since I absolutely did not care about a single character in the book. Again, the writing is good, the universe interesting, all the ingredients are there, except I just could not connect with a single character, and thus the story fell flat. I won't be buying any more of this author's works.
Nora
The fact that it took me over a month to read this book should really speak for itself.

This book dragged. It meandered and thought it was far more clever than it was.

The last 15% or so finally got sort of interesting, but the same thing happened in the first book and I am not falling for it again. It's the end of the road for me and Mr. Deas, sorry.
Aloysius
Very engaging! Although the story occurs over almost 400 pages, the plot is fast paced. I loved the thought dialogues that appeared for these crazy, dangerous, and psychopathic characters, and shifts between the unique POVs allowed me to better understand this complicated world of politics, intrigue, war, and dragons.
Christopher
As the middle of a trilogy, it's understandable that this would not be as tight as its predecessor. But it's also slower--repetitious of key plot points--and populated with many underdeveloped minor characters. There are some nice twists, though, and I might be curious enough about them to read the conclusion.
Larry
Lots and lots of dragons in this book. The plot and the characters were a little difficult to follow. I want to read book one. I think it would help set up a lot of what's going on in this book (book II). Dragon-kings, dragon-riders, alchemists, blood-mages... Drugs, sex, no rock-n-roll.
Michelle
Vote for your favourite cover art for 'The King of the Crags'.

I haven't written my review yet but it is coming! :)
In the meantime I made a cover poll.
I read the first book last year and enjoyed it...but time has taken my memory and I cannot remember any of the characters.. So I decided to put it down and pick up another book from my leaning tower.
Shane
Just as good as the first book in the series. The dragons in this series continue to be exceptional, and the interplay with the characters is also wonderful.
Charles F. Bond
A great read, I love the writing style of Stephen Deas. Another good story from the realms. The rogue dragon is still at large and burning things, great stuff.
Jemima Puddle Duck
This book was okay, I liked it better than the first one, as it was easier to follow what was going on. I'll probably read the last one.
  • The Book of Transformations (Legends of the Red Sun, #3)
  • The Scarab Path (Shadows of the Apt, #5)
  • Spellbound (Spellwright, #2)
  • Farlander
  • The Rats and the Ruling Sea (The Chathrand Voyage, #2)
  • A Magic of Dawn (Nessantico Cycle, #3)
  • Kingdoms of Dust (The Necromancer Chronicles, #3)
  • The Grave Thief (Twilight Reign, #3)
  • Exile (The Outcast Chronicles, #2)
  • The Black Lung Captain (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #2)
  • Antiphon (Psalms of Isaak, #3)
  • The Crown of the Blood
  • The Hanging Mountains (Books of the Cataclysm, #3)
  • The Map of All Things (Terra Incognita, #2)
2089928
Stephen Deas is an engineer in the aerospace industry, working on communications and imaging technology in the defence sector. He is married with two children and lives near Writtle in Essex.

Also writes as Nathan Hawke and S.J. Deas.
More about Stephen Deas...

The Memory of Flames (7 books)
  • The Adamantine Palace (The Memory of Flames, #1)
  • The Order of the Scales (The Memory of Flames, #3)
  • The Black Mausoleum (The Memory of Flames, #4)
  • Dragon Queen (The Silver Kings, #1)
  • The Splintered Gods (The Silver Kings, #2)
  • The Silver King (The Silver Kings, #3)
The Adamantine Palace (The Memory of Flames, #1) The Thief-Taker's Apprentice (The Thief-Taker's Apprentice, #1) The Order of the Scales (The Memory of Flames, #3) The Warlock's Shadow (The Thief-Taker's Apprentice, #2) The King's Assassin  (The Thief-Taker's Apprentice, #3)