Tomboy

Tomboy

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A Grave Challenge

"Some readers may feel that the author could have presented his case more persuasively by replacing some of the sensationalism with constructive scenes, but Mr. Ellson seems deliberately to have avoided this method. He takes the whole shocking and brutal story and flings it down as a challenge. There can be no argument, at any rate, as to whom it may conce...more
Mass Market Paperback
Published 1974 by Bantam Books (first published 1950)

Roberto
Hey mother-jumpers! If you're the sort of punk who likes novels about delinquents smoking cigarettes, sitting on stoops, and carving initials in each others arms, then this is the book for you. And you are awesome.
Lone Automaton
I found this book for .25 cents in a Salvation Army when I was somewhere between eleven and thirteen and despite the fact that at first glance it looks like it's going to be nothing more than a forgettable trash novel from a bygone era, it really stuck with me. I no longer remember all the details, but still to this day I'll find myself randomly thinking of this book.
Now, don't get me wrong, I am never possessed by a sudden desire to reread it or anything, but it really goes to show that the old...more
Rasma
This might just be the first book I ever read. I was probably 8, because it was during a summer in NYC, and because it was about kids in a gang in NYC it felt very close to home and disturbing. I remember having the distinct thought, when someone extinguished a cigarette on the girl's chest, that I was too young to be reading this. It sent me spinning with no where to land. That said, it was a fantastic read for all its lasting value, and I wish I could find a copy now to reread.
Wez Holly
I read this as a youngster and remember being totally shocked at the incidents portrayed. On reading again as an adult I'm overcome by a sense of sadness and frustration throughout all the characters lives. Powerful reading.
Gabby
Apr 02, 2008 Gabby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gabby by: My mom
My mom had read this when she was in High School and then made me read it 15 years later when I was in high school. I can't seem to find it published anymore but it's one of the most moving books I have ever read.
Kara
Nov 23, 2009 Kara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: pulp
Strangely profound story of a teenage girl coming of age in a 1950's New York City street gang. Published as a pulp novel, it is a sad and well written slip of a book that had a big impact on me.
Rita
I always remembered this book since I was 13 making a hugh impact on my life. I've never forgotten this book. Just an amazing story that really left an imprint on my heart.
Amy Yancy
what can I say takes you back to a different time, where girls had to be tough like guys to survive and she does it with sensitivity and heart.
Trent Zelazny
Very impressed with this one.
Krystal Leon
i can dig it.
Ana Diaz Sacco
Ana Diaz Sacco marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Tim Dale
Tim Dale marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Quinn Koike
Quinn Koike marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Janice
Janice added it
Jan 17, 2014
Messiah ❤
Messiah ❤ marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Tatiana
Tatiana marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Chad Hall
Chad Hall marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
Sunflower
Sunflower marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
Christine Nuttall
Christine Nuttall marked it as to-read
May 04, 2013
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013
Masters of Noir: Volume Two Duke Raw Rumbles: The Hal Ellson Omnibus: Duke (1949), Tomboy (1950), the Knife (1961) A Nest of Fear Jailbait Street