Start by marking “Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera: A Reader's Guide” as Want to Read:
Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera: A Reader's Guide

Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera: A Reader's Guide (Continuum Contemporaries)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,293 ratings  ·  77 reviews
This is part of a new series of guides to contemporary novels. The aim of the series is to give readers accessible and informative introductions to some of the most popular, most acclaimed and most influential novels of recent years from The Remains of the Day to White Teeth . A team of contemporary fiction scholars from both sides of the Atlantic has been assembled to pro ...more
Published April 10th 2003 by Bloomsbury Academic

Be the first to ask a question about Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera

VaultOfBooks
By Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Grade: A+
“His examination revealed that he had no fever, no pain anywhere, and that his only concrete feeling was an urgent desire to die. All that was needed was shrewd questioning…to conclude once again that the symptoms of love were the same as those of cholera.”
“” Gabriel García Márquez (Love in the Time of Cholera)

I felt guilty for giving little credit to the translator in A Hundred years of Solitude, as a result I will thank the translator, Edith Grossman and a
Molly
I am not actually reading the guide. This book doesn't come up!

It took a few pages of concentration to get into this book. Once I did, I was hooked. I have never read any Latin American literature and I found this to be a good introduction. There is a magical element that keeps the reader focused on every paragraph in the expectation of an important twist. Another interesting aspect to style is the very long chapters that are not organized by character perspective, time or event. Garcia Marquez
Jessica
Mar 14, 2008 Jessica rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Jessica by: Oprah. Darn that Oprah.
Shelves: yet-to-finish
This book was called one of the best love stories of all time and endorsed by the Oprah Book Club, but I found it empty and about anything but love. It's a possibility some meaning was lost in the translation from Spanish, so I'll give the author the benefit of a doubt on that note. All the same, the story seemed more about a man who lacked self control and had an obsession with a woman than a man who loved a woman and spent his life waiting for her. I'm a little disgusted that this book is even ...more
Taralyn
The author's writing is enormous. I was set for a book a la English Patient and was excited to see that Cholera really is not the focus of this novel. It is about suffering, the kind that takes a lifetime to perfect. I haven't read a book this smart in a long time.
Dominic Angelo
Another feat of storytelling from Mr. Marquez. This is a must read if you've already read One Hundred Years of Solitude.
Whitney Grace
I couldn't finish it fast enough. Marquez just drones on for ever and ever. And the men in the book are all despicable. Yet, somehow they are still considered heroes. I'm SO glad I finished it.
Cathryn
Okay, I didn't read the "Reader's Guide" but that's the only thing that would pull up when I wrote the title in.

I love the writing and prose of this book! It's a translation from the Spanish, so I'm not sure if the word choice seems so interesting because it really is and the author is great, or because it is a literal translation of am ordinary Spanish word. It is so beautifully written and plays off of turn of the century Caribbean interpretations of 19th-century Romanticism. Be warned, howeve
Perla.
Amazing One.
Brio Jaxen
A classic
Chris Caldes
I would love to hear from someone who liked this book because I feel like I must have missed something. I didn't like it AT ALL, and it has received such acclaim, not to mention a Nobel prize. Maybe things are lost in translation, maybe my expectations were too high as I loved 100 Years of Solitude. I found it rambling. I would read a couple pages and find I had been thinking about something else for nearly the entire time. The characters became boring and overall it just didn't do it for me.
Lulu
I read this for our girlsnightoutpdx bookclub and out of the entire group none of us finished it so we just ate awesome sicilian food and talked about men (rule #1 of books clubs, never talk about the book). I just couldn't warm up to the characters and felt like it just dragged on with little hope of drawing me in. Probably better than a romance novel (which I have never wanted to read), but just frankly overhyped. I will not finish it.
Siraj Shaikh
Feb 18, 2015 Siraj Shaikh marked it as to-read
great
Lillie Mack
'Hopeless romantic' doesn't even come close to summing up Florentino Ariza's desperation for love. When I first started reading, I kept thinking..."this would never happen" but the deeper it got, the more convincing his obsession became. The slightest glance from across a church, a faint smell of her perfume in a market place would make him weak for days. Love doesn't exist like this anymore. Did it ever?
Mailmanr5
This is for the novel, not the "reader's guide" as listed.
This was the finest love story I have ever read. There is no substitute for Maequez's prose. It flows beautifully from word to word. He accomplishes the feat of describing a man maddeningly in love with a woman he cannot approach by taking us inside his mind to see the torture. It's been many years since I read it but I intend to read it again soon.
Graciela Beroes
Ni siquiera lo terminé. Me pareció demasiado descriptivo y tedioso.
Caitlin
love this book too!! love gabriel garcia marquez. if you've never read any of his books, and you've never read any maical realism please do! and this is a good place to start. 100 years of solitude might be my favorite of all time book but, it starts off slow. this one is just a huge love story. it's beautiful and visually/viscerally delicious.
Kelli
May 23, 2008 Kelli rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kelli by: book club
A well-reknowned author, but just not my style. There's too much character study for me. The novel starts out with a lot of action, but it quickly slows down. I read it as it's the novel my book club chose. If you are interested in giving this author a try, I'd recommend "Memories of My Melancholy Whores" before this title.
Ellanor
finally after not having time to read it when was written in l985. Absolutely one of the most beautifully written books, so much so that one almost forgets the value of the story. Initially, I made the mistake of reading it with not enough time. To fully enjoy, allow more time, at least to start the book.
Joyce
I don't understand all the hype about this book. I had to force myself to read it and it took several months, but I read every word. Don't understand how he could have written so many words about one infatuation. I'm glad I read it. But again, don't understand the attraction.
Nancy
Feb 27, 2008 Nancy marked it as to-read
I finally gave up. To be fair, I think I"m at the part where its going to get good, but I just needed to read something else for a while. I will try to read again, though, because it just gets such great reviews. So I think it just must be a mood thing for me....
Nichole
this book got off to a slow start and I almost put it down...good thing I perservered because by the middle I was totally wrapped up in the characters....a good reminder of the power of passion and what romance (not the cheesy kind) can be like....
Kaitlin
Jan 21, 2007 Kaitlin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like beautiful language
I absolutely love this book. I read it for class and had to reread so many sentences to try and figure out how GGM used language in such a beautiful way that it soon became one of my all time favorites. Such a wonderful book.
Sunny
I know, everybody loved this book, something must be wrong with me. I thought it was tragic and I struggled with the characters. I read it again hoping time would change my opinion. Nope, I was just as annoyed.
Marilyn
A beautiful love story. At times it may seem a bit slow but that is how the author aquaints you with the texture of the characters. True love that withstood years and years... read it, you will not be sorry.
Mags
I always thought Garcia Marquez would be too abstract and fraught with metaphor for my taste, but...so far so good. The book starts off with a sort of murder mystery...that's what I like!!
Kate
Dec 16, 2007 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romantic people
i really liked it because i loved the descriptions of aging and how it didn't focus so much on the beauty of youth as it did the beauty of life and the life story. and i loved the ending*
Whitney
Marquez makes everything seem so magical and mysterious! I really enjoyed the love story, and the muggy, tropical, old world setting made the romance that much more convincing.
Fourthemodicas
While I adore Gabriel Marquez's style of prose I was never fully caught up in this story. It seemed to creep along and I never felt fully involved with the characters.
Lisa
An excellent read. It will, however, wrench you to the core over the definition of love and you may disagree with it if you believe in the christian definition of love.
Yonca Barnard
I think I expected a lot from this book before I read, but unfortunately it didn't fulfill my expectations.

On the other hand the language of the story is very dense.
  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Chronicle Of A Death Foretold:  A Reader's Companion
  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude (Bloom's Modern Critical Interpretations)
  • Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez Summary  Study Guide
  • What Would Wally Do?
  • A Scanner Darkly [Graphic Novel]
  • Painsath Lakh Ki Dakaiti
  • The Manticore's Secret (GameWorld Trilogy #2)
  • Twenty-one Stories
  • Gabriel García Márquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude: A Casebook
  • Vermilion Sands
  • Collected Novellas
  • Snapshots From Hell: The Making Of An MBA
  • My Name is Will
  • Wilt On High (Wilt, #3)
  • Messiah
  • My Name Is Gabito/Me Llamo Gabito: The Life of Gabriel Garcia Marquez/La Vida de Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Mall
  • Camus: The Stranger (Landmarks of World Literature (New)STUDY GUIDE
I grew up in Los Angeles, California, and I have studied literature and music throughout my life. I earned a Ph.D. in literature from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and I'm now a professor of American literature and American Studies at Long Island University (C. W. Post).

My most recent novel, The Unspoken (Simon and Schuster), is my first teen thriller/horror novel. The book is a
More about Thomas Fahy...

Continuum Contemporaries (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest: A Reader's Guide
  • Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho: A Reader's Guide
  • Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible: A Reader's Guide
  • Sebastian Faulks's Birdsong: A Reader's Guide
  • Don DeLillo's White Noise: A Reader's Guide
Sleepless The Unspoken The Philosophy of Horror Night Visions: A Novel of Suspense Considering Aaron Sorkin: Essays on the Politics, Poetics and Sleight of Hand in the Films and Television Series