Start by marking “My Life Starring Mum” as Want to Read:
My Life Starring Mum

My Life Starring Mum

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  191 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Meet Hollywood Bliss Winterman (Holly to her friends). She's the daughter of mega pop-idol Kandhi - the unbelievably famous singer and tenth-richest woman in the world. From the outside, it might look like Holly has the perfect life, but being the average daughter of rock royalty is anything but blissful.

Holly's life is turned upside-down when Kandhi receives some threaten
Hardcover, 1st U.S. ed., 279 pages
Published June 30th 2006 by Bloomsbury Publishing (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about My Life Starring Mum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Life Starring Mum

Thoughtless by S.C. StephensLove Unscripted by Tina ReberEffortless by S.C. StephensWhere She Went by Gayle FormanBreathe by Abbi Glines
I'm a Celebrity. Love me!
322nd out of 598 books — 1,725 voters
Not in the Script by Amy FinneganStarlet's Web by Carla J. HannaL.A. Candy by Lauren ConradThe Fame Game by Lauren ConradTaken by Chance by Erica Cameron
YA Celebrities
96th out of 100 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Wisteriouswoman
Nov 14, 2011 Wisteriouswoman rated it did not like it
A really stupid book that I kept reading hoping it would get better. It sounds like Holly lived in the US with her Dad for her early years but she doesn't have any American accent. She uses words like 'candy floss' instead of 'cotton candy'. Holly has a terrible narcissistic neglectful controlling mother. Holly puts up with being locked in a hotel room with guards patrolling the halls and never really rebels or tries to sneak out on her own until the very end. She doesn't care that she doesn't h ...more
Frezanda
Mar 19, 2009 Frezanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngadult, own
Regardless of her name, Hollywood Bliss is a humble character. Pretty down to earth and well adjusted. Considering how her mom treated her, if I were Holly, I would throw a temper tantrum. It doesn't mean she's not hurt by her mom though. She really tried to please her mom and accept the fact of her mother's fame. Still even Holly had her limit. The most memorable scene from this book for me is when Holly saw her mother singing live. When she saw how her mother thrived in the adoration of the cr ...more
Aoife
Mar 12, 2016 Aoife rated it liked it
Shelves: tween, humorous, arc
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

You know those books that you've had sitting on your shelf for years and years, telling yourself one day you'll read them to the point where your 'TBR' classification is a joke? And then one day you finally>/i> read them and it's like... oh, that was actually pretty enjoyable. Should have read that sooner. What a pleasant read.

This is one of those books. I got this as an ARC from my uncle years ago, it's one of those mid-noughties books (glitter jeans are mentioned
Emily
Mar 02, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I think Kandhi shouldn't be so controling of Holly's life. Also why did she name her daughter Hollywood? That really implies that she wants Holly in show biz. Also rigging the competition so Holly would get her part is really mean to the other girls who had hopes of being in the movie of Kandhi's life. I don't think she should be so overprotective. But if she has to be overprotective at least be around more. I think Holly is obsessed with her tutor which is really weird ...more
Lauren
Aug 11, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it
I read this book about three years ago and then, it was one of my favourite books! I have reread it recently and it doesn't even come close to some of the books that I am reading now. I am in love with the Twilight saga and Sarah Dessen which I hate to say it, are way better than this book!
However I think that girls of the age of about 9+ would enjoy this book as it looks at the importance of a loving family and one girls longing for this. Even though she could have anything that she wanted, tha
Jessica
Jun 01, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngadult
Imagine that you just want to fit in, have friends, have a pet, have a normal life. But, unfortunately, your mother is one of the top pop stars in the world. So, what with the paparazzi and the bodyguards and the hotels and the private schools, that's a little hard to achieve. Now, add to that a threat against your mother's life-- that may or may not be a publicity stunt-- and the fact that, in order to keep Mum looking and feeling young, no one can know that she has a teenage daughter.

Hilarious
Rita
Aug 30, 2013 Rita rated it did not like it
2006. For adolescents, probably girls only.
Daughter of celebrity singer who doesn't really 'see' her daughter.
Some times it seems insightful and realistic and warm, other times hopelessly unrealistic.
I guess it wouldn't damage a child to read the book.
It speaks a lot about feelings though there is the sense that nothing is actually traumatic [maybe she is that well adjusted].
Darcey
Oct 14, 2010 Darcey rated it really liked it
This book is about a teen girl named Hollywood Bliss Winterman. Her superstar mom named Khandi, suddenly sends her off to Boarding School and then she takes her out of Boarding School and puts her in a fancy hotel in London and forgets she's even there. This book is great for anyone.
Natalie
Apr 19, 2011 Natalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was OK for me. It just got boring after a while because of the numberless probles that Hollywood and her mum had. I'm not into that kind of celebrity stuff.

I would not recommend this book to people like me who dont like cele stuff.
Natalie
Apr 19, 2011 Natalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is not very good. I didn't enjoy it at all because it just kept on going on for ever and ever about the problems of the Hollywood stars and their daughters - yawn. I wouldn't recommend it.
Deoro
Oct 15, 2012 Deoro rated it liked it
No romance but but of celebrity. Coming of age story about a 13 year old girl whose mom is the most popular singer in the world. Very light; suitable for young readers.
Harsha
Mar 10, 2015 Harsha rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-a-z, 2015
This isn't the kind of book I usually read .. It wasn't that great nor too bad ..

I expected a bit more romance but the book turned out to be childish
Sam
Aug 16, 2013 Sam rated it liked it
Recommends it for: girls, middle school
A story about a girl caught up in her mom's life who is a very famous celebrity. She finds that her mom never has time for her, and is always left out.
Sofija
Mar 08, 2010 Sofija rated it liked it
its kind of a child-sih read but it's still very fun to read!!! it's interesting how her mom acts and her personality. it's actually funny!
Alexis
Feb 26, 2008 Alexis rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-books
I learned how important it is to be nice to your parents because sometimes they may not be there for you.
Maddi
Sep 17, 2010 Maddi rated it really liked it
I thought it was a good book but i was kind of slow. now claire v is reading it and she loves it.
Rachael Lewis
Dec 23, 2010 Rachael Lewis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I WOULD LOVE TO BE HER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Meaghan Mallia
Jul 07, 2010 Meaghan Mallia rated it did not like it
i think it was good
Isabelle
Mar 02, 2011 Isabelle rated it did not like it
flippen STUPID!
Aeesha
Aeesha marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Imelda Fallon
Imelda Fallon rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Rylee
Rylee rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Mariah
Mariah rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Kelly Foley
Kelly Foley marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Lela Bee
Lela Bee marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Phena
Phena rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Like a Meg Cabot. [s] 4 34 May 04, 2014 07:44PM
  • Better Off Famous?
  • Grace Happens
  • Letters to Cathy
  • Diamonds Are A Teen's Best Friend (The Living Blond trilogy Book 1)
  • Backstage Pass
  • Road to Somewhere
  • Swapped by a Kiss
  • Unplugged (A Portrait of a Rock Star)
  • True Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet
  • Tempo Change
  • Indigo Blues
  • Hopeless Savages Volume 1
  • Flame and the Rebel Riders (Pony Club Secrets, #9)
  • Beige