Start by marking “City Lights Pocket Poets Anthology. I poeti della Beat Generation” as Want to Read:
City Lights Pocket Poets Anthology. I poeti della Beat Generation

City Lights Pocket Poets Anthology. I poeti della Beat Generation

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  443 ratings  ·  30 reviews

This comprehensive selection from the influential City Lights Pocket Poets series is a landmark retrospective, celebrating forty years of publishing and cultural history.

From the introduction by Lawrence Ferlinghetti: "Even though some say that an avant-garde in literature no longer exists, the smaller independent publisher is itself still a true avant-garde, its place sti

Paperback
Published 2006 by Mondadori (first published 1974)

Be the first to ask a question about City Lights Pocket Poets Anthology. I poeti della Beat Generation

Jessie
Picked this up at City Lights while in San Francisco. Being in that store was like a religious experience for a Beat geek like me, especially the little room upstairs. It was like walking in the footsteps of greatness. This is one of my most prized posessions.
James Barker
I bought this swanky little collection in the mecca that is the City Lights bookstore in Frisco back in 2003 and while I have dipped into it through the years I chose a rainy weekend for the exercise of reading it cover to cover. It was an exhilarating experience and I will be inevitably returning to certain poets from hereon in and for the necessary third, fourth, fifth read.

It's actually the big Beat names that affected me the least- the Ginsberg stuff I already knew and his work probably take
Diane
I got City Lights Pocket Poets Anthology as a gift and it's been a lot of fun to read. My only complaint is that there is only a small number of women poets included in the selections. Some people may think that Allen Ginsberg is over-represented, but it would be difficult to edit such a book without Ginsberg's work.

The poets come from that '50s and '60s mentality and their work is free-flowing, full of sexual imagery and references to death. Reading the works is energizing, especially if one r
Edmund Davis-Quinn
Some excellent poems, a lot that didn't really touch me.

Really appreciate the work of City Lights and love Lawrence Ferlinghetti, but covers a vast, vast range.

Cool book to browse to discover new poets, but prefer reading chatbooks with more of a theme and time.

Poetry omnibuses tend to be too much.

One of my favorites in the book is Jack Kerouac's "Hymn" ...http://enothingblog.blogspot.com/2010...

Worthwhile, but found myself browsing a lot of the poems/poets that interested me less.

Poetry is easi
J.C.
For someone like me, who has trouble reading poetry, but still greatly enjoys it and wants to test the waters of all the different poets out there, this anthology was a delight. It's fascinating to read all the different styles and how they get their art across. There were many selections in here that I found fantastic and marked for future reference and enjoyment, so hopefully this is the start of a new literary phase for me, where I can read poetry a lot easier and not feel like a kid learning ...more
Tim
If you like BEAT poetry (and I wouldn't want a world without all that "Belief and Technique" stuff)or if you just like wander a little further away from the din and clatter of main-stream classics and flavors- of- the- month junk look around inside "City Lights" for awhile. Just be warned... you might not put it down for awhile and don't be surprised if you keep going back to this ballsy little volume of poetry and prose. This is by far one of the best anthologies I'll read many times over.
William West
Very enjoyable read that brought me closer to one of my favorite places in the world. I felt an even greater kinship with the bookstore upon reading this anthology.

Having said that, it is an anthology and its joys and disappointments are as such- i.e. I really liked the work of some of the poets included, some less so, and a few I even found a little embarrassing. I seem to find myself particularly drawn to Italian poetry. The selections from Antonio Porta's collection, "Kisses From Another Dre
Kent Winward
All of the expected City Lights favorites are here -- Ginsberg, Kerouac, Rexroth, Patchen, di Prima. The pleasure was in the surprises -- some highlights:

Malcolm Lowry:

"Thoughts leave the pitiless city;/Yet ships themselves are iron and have no pity;/Wile men have hearts and sides that strain and rust."

I'd also recommend Lowry's "The Volcano is Dark" on page 83.

Phillip Lamantia from "Voice of the Earth Mediums"

"We are truly fed up/with mental machines of peace & war/ nuclear monoxide brains
Jeffrey
Not this Christmas but the last my brother was in the Bay Area to visit friends, and having gone to San Francisco, he found his way to City Lights and picked up this book as a Christmas present.
I like reading anthologies when I'm reading them, but I rarely actually go through one cover to cover. I gave the Pocket Poet Anthology my attention because I hadn't read much of this work in a long time. I'm glad I gave many of these poems a read because it shows me how my taste has changed--or not chang
Jon Corelis
The beat generation poetry anthology to get

City Lights press was of course the major publisher of the mid-century American poetry arising from the movement known as the "beat generation," including such authors as Allen Ginsberg, Gregory Corso, Bob Kaufman, and City Lights publisher Lawrence Ferlinghetti. Beat poetry isn't to everyone's taste, but there's no denying that it was one of the most socially significant and influential literary movements in modern America. This anthology is a sampler:
Cooper Renner
A bit too much Ginsberg for me, and a bit too much political poetry which is more politics than poetry, but overall a good anthology to explore: poets not at all widely read, some work in translation. An antidote to the Best American Poetry of whatever year, or the Poetry anthology!
Kasandra
What I liked here, I really liked, and what I didn't like, I really disliked. That is to say, much Beat poetry doesn't move me or speak to me, but the pieces that do strike a chord tend to reverberate wildly. Best stuff here: excerpts of Ginsberg and Kerouac, obviously, but also pieces by Kenneth Patchen, Marie Ponsot, Bob Kaufman, Anne Waldman, and Alberto Blanco. A good retrospective with a wide range.
Sam
this is one of my new treasures ... a little hard cover beauty that often finds its way into my bag just in case i need it ...

every time i open it i find a another poem to love - and it's a sentimental reminder of my visit to City Lights - book lovers' paradise ...

seems i'm not alone in thinking this ...
Dana
Finally forced myself to read every page of this book instead of simply the ones I stumbled across. Definitely engaged in some more challenging poems that I had previously avoided, and enjoying them. And successfully found 2 poets I had not yet encountered that I absolutely loved.
Fredrika
I read this because it was the only book at the Library with Kenneth Patchen's poems. It's a really great collection of poetry. I read all of his and then skipped around. The German poets were interesting; many of those and other sections had poems about war.
Kristina
My first trip to San Francisco this was the bookstore I visited and this was the book I snagged. Everywhere I went, so did this anthology pouring over this new genre-great memories, great collection love it love it.sigh.
Jordan West
City Lights Anthology (1974): Five stars for the self-contained surrealist anthology edited by participants in the movement themselves; an excellent selection containing works not found anywhere else.
Simone Bigongiari
Ottima raccolta di poesie molto eterogenee tra loro che seguono un particolare percorso beat
Jn
A great little book to have lying around, this pocket anthology has an enjoyable mix of Ferlinghetti, Kerouac, Allen G. and other classic Beats --including, ?who knew?, Pablo Picasso.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
I liked some of this, and the rest of me just liked the cover and the pictures in it. I ended up giving it away because i couldn't justify keeping it anymore.
Rand
IF you're at all curious about the Beats or their legacy or the institution that is City Lights, then this little book is an excellent start. Highly recommended.
Christian
Granted, this probably gets an extra star on account of added sentimental value, but still: A magnificent reader from City Lights.
Brandi
I used to, and sometimes still tend to, carry this book with me everywhere. Just a great collection of poetry from smart, good writers.
Bonny
And as long as there is poetry, there will be an unknown, as long as there is an unknown there will be poetry. -Ferlinghetti
Carolyn
Jan 01, 2009 Carolyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: um.
Shelves: poetry
someone gave me this for my birthday and i'm honestly disappointed. the poets are legendary and i expected much much more.
Aimee
I don't usually leave home without this book either in my car or my bag...an amazing book to turn to for comfort.
Nick Black
Apr 12, 2011 Nick Black marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Was thinking about Ferlinghetti the other day (old bastard turned 92 this year!), saw this, and picked it up.
Eric
A compilation of some of the best Beat poetry plus other modern stuff. Really good.
Rick
most don't stand the test of time, although a few bright spots.
Alex Muckler
I believe this Anthology is a must read/ must own
  • Women of the Beat Generation: The Writers, Artists and Muses at the Heart of a Revolution
  • Gasoline & The Vestal Lady on Brattle
  • Jack's Book: An Oral Biography of Jack Kerouac
  • Approximate Man and Other Writings
  • The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry
  • Poems
A prominent voice of the wide-open poetry movement that began in the 1950s, Lawrence Ferlinghetti has written poetry, translation, fiction, theater, art criticism, film narration, and essays. Often concerned with politics and social issues, Ferlinghetti’s poetry countered the literary elite's definition of art and the artist's role in the world. Though imbued with the commonplace, his poetry canno ...more
More about Lawrence Ferlinghetti...
A Coney Island of the Mind Pictures of the Gone World Poetry as Insurgent Art A Far Rockaway of the Heart Her

“Don't bow down to critics who have not themselves written great masterpieces.” 30 likes