Start by marking “When Species Meet” as Want to Read:
When Species Meet

When Species Meet

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In 2006, about 69 million U.S. households had pets, giving homes to around 73.9 million dogs, 90.5 million cats, and 16.6 million birds, and spending over $38 billion dollars on companion animals. As never before in history, our pets are truly members of the family. But the notion of “companion species”—knotted from human beings, animals and other organisms, landscapes, an ...more
Published November 26th 2007 by University of Minnesota Press

To ask other readers questions about When Species Meet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Species Meet

Karl Steel
"I am not a posthumanist; I am who I become with companion species, who and which make a mess out of categories in the making of kin and kind" (19). (she is, rather, "nonhumanist": see 92-93)

"The coming into being of something unexpected, something new and free, something outside the rules of function and calculation, something not ruled by the logic of the reproduction of the same, is what training with each other is about" (223).

Great praise is due Haraway for her use and interchange with so m
B
If my professor keeps assigning books like this her class may be the death of me.

I can't even begin on the atrocity that is this book. Instead, I'll let Haraway speak for herself:

87 "For example, what about instituting changes in daily lab schedules so that even rats or mice get to learn how to do new things that make their lives more interesting."

294 "Katie and Mischa reported a solemn, rather than festive, sharing of bits of placenta - cooked with onions - in which friends shared nutrients nee
corinne
I was surprised that this book focused so heavily on dogs and domestic species. The introduction felt promising with an interesting read of Derrida's "The Animal Therefore I Am" and an intense critique of Deleuze and Guattari's "Becoming Animal." (Which I do not fully agree with but I appreciate the perspective). Unfortunately, the book felt centered around Haraway's own proclivities, including purebred dogs and agility competitions, as opposed to delving into a thread of theory and exploring it ...more
Hanna
There are some fantastic ideas in here about ecological awareness and responsibility. About compassion, empathy, and respect for other species, especially those considered "companion." About being able to exercise this respect, understanding, and consideration of these species without anthropomorphism or assimilation. She ascribes different species as Other, significant beings necessarily different from humans, but no less complex. She illustrates these points through extensive -- and I mean ext ...more
Rebekah
Donna Harraway changed my life with her "Cyborg Manifesto" but this book had only passing moments of brilliance, buried under copied and pasted emails about her dog's agility training. A good read if you are interested in animal studies.
Melanie Brewster
Great for dog lovers and theory-dweebs alike.
Maju Msn
Kind of weird but fascinating.
Ralowe Ampu
donna haraway is irresistible because of the originality of her thought. she is a model of interdisciplinarity and is one of the most consistently engaging speakers i've seen. so what she wants to write about cayenne and her doing agility. her use of biography is a brilliant way of showcasing her central thesis around responsiblity and respect and holding open space for another. this work is blindingly optimism although it in its responsibility is never once so irresponsible to assert a path to ...more
micha cardenas
This book is currently knocking my socks off, when I have the time to read it. It puts together queer theory, biology and poststructural theory, trying to update our notions of world building, as in the alterglobaliation kind, by rethinking our strategy through our relationships with animals.

It builds on her book "Companion Species Manifesto" and is so fascinating, and opens up so many ideas and pathways. I'm really trying to think about this notion of trans-species for my mfa project, so this
Juliekantor
Haraway is a genius, w/out a doubt, & while it seems people like to bitch about her writing & style, she is radical, in every sense of the word. One of the best books I've read in a long while.
Katie
Who knew?! I love the way Haraway writes. I do not agree with her in terms of all of her arguments though. I think that, just because the scientist tries to understand the suffering of the animal, it does not make the experimentation okay. There were also some instances where I felt her examples were slightly antiquated. She had opportunities to incorporate more modern examples that would perhaps resonate in different ways, and further advance her standpoint, and she did not do it. Other than so ...more
Eleanor
I suppose it helps that I like dogs and training dogs, but I love some of the ideas in this book relating to companion species and communicating with nonhuman others. The book irritates me intensely too, but that's mostly because of the lack of a comprehensive bibliography. Occasionally the language gets a bit much (almost too "poetic") but there are a lot of interesting ideas here, and a lot of other sources mentioned that I now need to read in order to get some more depth in my understanding.
Tom Bremer
Donna Haraway challenges us with an ethic of caring and difference that reconsiders simplistic perspectives of self and other. She emphasizes instead a dynamic vision of becoming together that encompasses the complex circumstances of companion species. The longer I contemplate this book, the more I appreciate it.
Alicia Ellis
It's not an easy read, but it's eye opening. You will learn a lot about dogs and it has no boundaries. It will get you to think. One section about the spaying of dogs made me cry really hard.
Christine
I enjoyed this read much more than Haraway's Manifestos. It seems much more complete on issues of response, respect, and accountability (especially in her discussion of killing).
Rachel
haraway means everything to me, so whats her fascination/fixation on breeds?
Whitney
Imperative to truly understanding a relationship with another species.
Chris
I've read two chapters ... and ... brilliant ....
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
A.K.
A.K. marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Abby Ang
Abby Ang marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Sean
Sean is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
AstroDime Authority
AstroDime Authority marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Raksha
Raksha added it
Feb 17, 2015
David Glines
David Glines marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Annick
Annick marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
  • The Animal That Therefore I Am
  • Meeting the Universe Halfway: Quantum Physics and the Entanglement of Matter and Meaning
  • The Open: Man and Animal
  • Marxism and Form: 20th-Century Dialectical Theories of Literature
  • The Case for Animal Rights
  • Volatile Bodies: Toward a Corporeal Feminism
  • Excitable Speech: A Politics of the Performative
  • How We Became Posthuman: Virtual Bodies in Cybernetics, Literature, and Informatics
  • Politics of Nature: How to Bring the Sciences into Democracy
  • Genealogies of Religion: Discipline and Reasons of Power in Christianity and Islam
  • The Lives of Animals
Donna Jeanne Haraway is the chair of the History of Consciousness program at the University of California Santa Cruz. She writes and lectures on techno-science and feminist theory. Haraway is famous for her 1991 essay A Cyborg Manifesto .
More about Donna J. Haraway...
Simians, Cyborgs, and Women: The Reinvention of Nature The Companion Species Manifesto: Dogs, People, and Significant Otherness Modest_witness@second_millennium.Femaleman_meets_oncomouse: Feminism and Technoscience Primate Visions: Gender, Race, and Nature in the World of Modern Science Manifesto Cyborg