Start by marking “By the Lake of Sleeping Children” as Want to Read:
By the Lake of Sleeping Children

By the Lake of Sleeping Children

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  300 ratings  ·  40 reviews
By the Lake of Sleeping Children explores the post-NAFTA and Proposition 187 border purgatory of garbage pickers and dump dwellers, gawking tourists,and relief workers, fearsome coyotes and their desperate clientele. In sixteen indelible portraits, Urrea illuminates the horrors and the simple joys of people trapped between the two worlds of Mexico and the United States - a ...more
Published November 17th 2010 by Anchor (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about By the Lake of Sleeping Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By the Lake of Sleeping Children

Rachel Blanchard
Apr 11, 2008 Rachel Blanchard rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in illegal immigration
Recommended to Rachel by: I found it on the shelves of Barnes N Noble
Have an opinion about illegal immigrants? Then this book is for you! You'll learn so much through the stories and statistics of Mexico's most oppressed -- the men, women, and children who are born in, live in, and and are eventually buried in the garbage dumps of Tijuana, Mexico. That's right. They live in shacks, right in the garbage. And when they die, they're buried in the dump. Although their graves are marked, their bodies often float to the surface during floods. It's a crazy life of hopel ...more
John
I hope this one exorcised Luis' devils. It's hard to believe how much "bad stuff" the author encountered in the Tijuana area. Unfortunately, I believe every word of it. Very powerful, however sad.
Kristin
Very graphic. Some parts were very obscene. If it wasn't required for my class I wouldn't have finished it. Description of life on the Mexican/American border.
Eris
This collection of essays centers around the orphans, dump dwellers and trash pickers in Tijuana. As they slag through our trash (courtesy NAFTA) to make a living, or beg, or accept missionary charity because the prayer is worth the trade for food and clothes, you follow along a guilty observer. These are humans, they don't live that far away. A human created border, a wall of poverty... marginalized by their own countrymen (as we do with our homeless and poor), criminalized by our countrymen - ...more
Michelle
This is short narratives about people living in Tijuana, as well as the author's personal experiences working in Baja California giving aid to orphanages around the state. He takes true stories and adds a poet's touch, taking journalism to a more human level. It's beautiful and heartbreaking, helarious and makes you want to cry. It encapsulates the border and the daily contradictions that makes this place so confusing and amazing, and explains some of the underlying political reasons behind why ...more
Kevin
I read this book while taking a class on environmental injustice. While it is certainly not what I normally read, I found that a combination of reading and discussion helped to bring out the important ideas within the stories. Realistic representation of what these people go through every day to survive in the border town of Tijuana.

Urrea goes to great lengths to describe the details which make this town unique. Scenes are vivid and characters unique. His own understanding of Mexico and United S
Tom Gass
Had trouble with this, it is heartbreaking and graphic in describing life for the poorest in a Mexican garbage dump.
Charles
So much passion in this read!!
Abbie Navarrete
After reading "Into the beautiful north" by this author I set out to find everything else he has ever written and found this book. It would not appear to be a feel good book after all conditions in the border and especially for the people who live in the "dompes" are terrible. But as much as it is hard to imagine people living in these conditions what I came away with was admiration for these people who don't seem to ever feel sorry for themselves and simply set out to survive. Beautifully writt ...more
Deborah
Urrea does a good job of illustrating the cycle of dependence between the US and Mexico, or the cycle of oppressor and oppressed, if you will. I personally didn't see the author as blaming Mexico alone; there is plenty of scathing commentary on US involvement from foreign policy, NAFTA, and maquiladoras*, down to the individuals who take a day trip down to hand out food, clothes, and hygienic products.
Jed
As I was preparing to work as a Border Patrol Agent, I wanted to read about the life of those making the journey and get to know more about who I would be working with. I read several books by this author and really can't stand the border politics but the books are very interesting.
Rosa
Another book by the Mexican/American author Luis Urrea. This one although a non-fiction reads like a novel. His portrayal of the garbage pickers and people who live at the dump in the border town of Tijuana is
shocking, sad and at times funny. Now that I've seen Slumdog Millionaire it's perhaps not so different.
Urrea doesn't ask for pity, nor help, just tells it how it is. Quite enlightening.
Riah
An intentionally shocking (because its true) cultural perspective, meant to jar its reader to recognize ALL societal facets. I found this book stirring, assertive, and at times too close for comfort. Please be sure to read the preface, as the author has provided important information as to which essays to skip for those faint of heart.
Mary
If you wonder WHY the Mexican people come into the U.S. by desperately crossing the border illegally, read this book. I gave it four stars not because it isn't a wonderful report and story of the poor, but I can't say "it was amazing" (it's sad) though it IS amazing that the American people don't know what really is going on.
WM Rine
You have never met people like the people to whom Luis Alberto Urrea introduces us in this book. The people are rendered plainly, honestly, lyrically, as few could. And you will not forget them. Do yourself a favor -- read this book and meet some people you'll be glad to carry with you for the rest of your life.
Katherine
The first essay, By the Lake of Sleeping Children, is so horrifying I almost didn't go on but I am glad I did. Urrea manages along with the graphic portrayal of poverty and desperation to show people as very human and even loving in situations beyond the comprehension of the average American.
Lorah LS
Loved this book. Though it was written in 1996 (which means some of the political facts are outdated) it completely applies to the Mexico/US border issues of today. Thoroughly creative writing style and challenging, relevant perspective.
Marianna
This is the first Urrea book I have read and I will be looking for others. He writes honestly - and that makes it very poetic as far as I see it. He depicts a reality many of us would rather not accept is part of our world.
Adele
although the author seemed to place the chapter to create a very disjointed book,
the message that it sent and the pictures and thoughts it illustrated were very shocking and embarrassing on the part of the Americans.
MaryBeth
This memoir reflects Urrea's time working with the garbage pickers at the Tijuana dump. It is heartbreaking, but at the same time celebrates the best of a society that manages to survive in the harshest of conditions.
Jvosler
I am fascinated by the US/Mexico border. This is another heartbreaking story of what happens in the places where great wealth meets great poverty. The spirit of the Mexican people never fails to amaze me.
Kathryn Okonzak-lowry
This book is hard to read but I'm glad I did. I did not read the chapter concerning animals. The chapters are each their own story. I had some pretty terrible dreams the first night after reading this.
Fred
Urrea worked for the famous Minister Von, this book is written from his journal notes helping the most poor in Mexico. Find out what their lives are like and how America is like a light in the dark to them.
Kailin
i don't know much about mexico. but i have met a few people who have lived the lives described in this book. indispensable for those who travel there...
Robin Bailey
excellent read; gritty, poetic, informative story of the plight of the people living in Tijauna dumps. Uplifting and sad.
Joe Hewitt
Urrea is a great story teller. This book includes many of his most interesting. This is somewhat preachy, however.
Jessica Lara
the author does a good job of at once explaining the perils of the dumps in tijuana and finding humor in tragedy.
Susan
The lives of the people featured in this book are compelling; unfortunately, Urrea's telling of their stories is not.
Melissa
This book was a serious eye-opener to the plight of children in Mexico. It is hard to read, emotionally.
Jeff
despite the pastoral title, children rise from their graves on a sea of garbage--
  • Mexico Biography of Power
  • Red Hot Salsa: Bilingual Poems on Being Young and Latino in the United States
  • Critical Race Theory: An Introduction
  • Zoot Suit and Other Plays
  • Down by the River: Drugs, Money, Murder, and Family
  • Rethinking Columbus: The Next 500 Years: Resources for Teaching about the Impact of the Arrival of Columbus in the Americas
  • Places Left Unfinished at the Time of Creation
  • Twelve Impossible Things Before Breakfast
  • Coyotes: A Journey Through the Secret World of America's Illegal Aliens
Across the Wire: Life and Hard Times on the Mexican Border By the Lake of Sleeping Children Tijuana Book of the Dead