Start by marking “Angel Burn (Angel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Angel Burn (Angel, #1)

Angel Burn (Angel #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  22,277 ratings  ·  1,930 reviews
They're out for your soul.
And they don't have heaven in mind...

Willow knows she's different from other girls, and not just because she loves tinkering with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into the future and know people's dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where this power comes from.
But the assassin, Alex, does. Gorg...more
Published May 24th 2011 by Candlewick Press (MA) (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Angel Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Burn

Wither by Lauren DeStefanoEntwined by Heather DixonSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDie for Me by Amy PlumAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Best Book Covers 2011
69th out of 718 books — 3,087 voters
Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsAcross the Universe by Beth RevisPure by Jennifer L. ArmentroutUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiA Million Suns by Beth Revis
Noble neon -- covers that glow
27th out of 284 books — 416 voters

More lists with this book...

Vinaya

Bollywood has a special genre of movies called 'Masala movies'. Masala, in case you're wondering, is a powdered mixture of spices to add flavour to Indian cuisine. Masala movies, on the same note, are a mixture of dramatic elements designed to appeal to the senses.

STEP 1: Boy Meets Girl

Boy and girl bump into each other/ meet at a wedding/ are introduced by friends and there is an instant 'connection' which will, of course, soon lead to true lurrve.

STEP 2: Girl Plays Coy

The path of true lurr...more
Emily May

I realise it was probably a mistake to read another angel book so soon after finishing Angelfall, but it was amongst the gushing reviews and comments on the aforementioned that I read about these two books sharing a similar theme. This theme being that, rather than having pretty, sparkly, heaven-sent angels, the authors used the more traditional, violent creatures who have come to earth in order to take over. However, this is where the similarities between the two novels end.

Angel Burn has a mu...more
Wendy Darling
Free for Kindle right now! Download from Amazon before the deal ends. (Review edited 6/3/11 to include this freebie.)

There's something a-brew in the heavens, because there has been a streak of great books centered around angels lately. After disappointments like Hush, Hush, Fallen, and various other novels, it's exciting to have books like Unearthly and Mercy ...and now Angel Burn, which is the first in a trilogy previously published in the U.K. under a slightly different title.

What's unusual ab...more
K.
So, my thoughts during and after reading Angel Burn:

Ahem...

- Weatherly is not a bad writer. Truly, she isn't. But I felt like this book lacked epicness and research. It was a small world trying to seem big. A small war trying to seem all-ending. I felt like she sat down and used up any standing information she had about angel lore and, somehow, managed to compose an entire novel. What she should've done was spend a little more time in the library (or the internet, don't be scared) to give us mor...more
Fani
Simply put, I think this is the best young adult paranormal book I've read (though admittedly my knowledge in the genre is rather limited). But whereas YA books usually bore me with the endless descriptions of everyday high school life, this one took a different approach, much more to my liking: that of a road-trip.

Willow has always been psychic and has the ability to see glimpses of the future. One day while reading a girl's thoughts she sees a real angel. Surprisingly though, the angel seems t...more
Nic
Favourite Quote: "It' worth it you know," said Alex, smiling into my eyes. "What is?" I said. His thumb moved slowly over my cheek. "All of this. Having you. It's worth - anything."

I have found another awesome angel book. Last year it seemed I was having the worst run with angel themed books. They were all a little too similar and I was thinking maybe they weren't for me. But Angel is nothing like any other angel book I have read before. Not only does it have a unique concept but has great blend...more
Stevie
Terrible. Simply terrible. The switching view points was the worst especially since one of them was annoying as heck. I probably would have finished it if it was just written in Alex's perspective. There needs to be more books from a guys perspective. All these girls POV's are getting on my nerves. They are all the same "we're sooo unique!" Then they turn around and do everything every other YA Main Character does. x_x

Worst of all, 30 pages in and there wasn't even a hint at a plot! I'd imagine...more
Kira
Jul 25, 2014 Kira marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I actually really want to read this book. I am looking forward to it, because the premise seems interesting and for all their pitfalls, I do still have faith that one day a YA angel book will sweep me off my feet. (DOSAB sort of did! And it renewed my zest for reading.)

While I'm not going into this with low expectations - it sounds like something I might enjoy! And a few of my friends have rated it well - I just really...I really...

Do we have to do the whole "I'm not like other girls" thing?

Come...more
Sandy
My bar for ranking new angel books is admittedly low--I mean, look at the comps and see the lack of competition. Until Unearthly, I was beginning to think it may be impossible to write a decent angel book. Out of all paranormal creatures, angels have received the worse treatment in YA books BY FAR. I won't go into the examples--we all know what they are.

With Angel Burn, I was pleasantly surprised. The wearisome elements plaguing other angel books (TSTL heroines, creepy obsessive love interests,...more
Amber
This brilliant, action packed page turner will have you on the edge of your seat craving for more!! This is a MUST READ for 2011!!!

This story is about a girl named Willow, who isn’t the typical high school student from Pawtucket, a sleepy little town crouched in the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains. Willow has always been able to read people by touching them and by doing so she can see into their future.

The story starts off with a classmate of Willow’s wanting a reading. Willow was feeling...more
~Tina~
TBR Reduce Challenge #15- 2011 (Stefanie)

I've read a lot of Angel books and sometimes I find ones that has a different take on the traditional lore. But, Angel is probably the most unique of them all, and while I'm not use to seeing angels as the bad guys, being hunted, I still think this was an excellent concept. Mix it with suspense, grip and forbidden love and how could I resist?

Fresh, smart and fantastic! Can't wait to read the next book; Angel Fire!
Kristi
I bought this book from the Book Depo, since it's been released in the UK for several months now, but I didn't actually read the story until I had a copy of the US galley in hand. I'm not sure why I waited so long, my fellow UK bloggers had all but demanded that I read this book! I am a fan of the US cover over the UK one though! Though they both are beautiful.

Angel Burn is unlike any angel themed story I've read. When I think of angels I think of goodness and white lights... healing touches, ya...more
Vanessa
I was really excited to pick up Angel. I'd been craving a YA angel book, and Amazon had one of those rare psychic moments where it gives you the link to a book that's currently on sale, and doesn't sound too bad. Angel isn't a bad read, but it has some pretty glaring flaws here and there, but I ultimately didn't finish it because it just wasn't my cup of tea and I found myself incredibly bored by it.

My main problem was with the characterisation. Both Willow and Alex felt like stereotypes when we...more
Krystle
I think I prefer the UK cover to the US one but they both have their positives, I guess.

I’m a bit wary of angel books because they can either be exceptionally good, Unearthly, or absolutely terrible, Hush, Hush. Angel Burn falls somewhere in the middle; nothing offensive but doesn’t evolve past being anything more than pleasant.

There’s a lot of good things to say about this book though. Willow being savvy at fixing cars? Fantastic! And the whole angel mythology doesn’t revolve around heaven, Je...more
Maria
14/01/2013 Proud owner of the audiobook as well!

I was waiting for this book months and the moment i grap it i have no idea what happend and i held back on reading it at least 2 weeks!I wish i wouldnt done it to be honest because simply i was thrilled with the book!

Yes you may heard right that the book is for an angel and it might sound to you similiar with some other book you might read recently!But i personally enjoy it and in fact i finished in 3 nights ending with red eyes without proper s...more
Kay
A solid 3.5 stars. This was actually a pretty good book. At first glance, a lot of people would be turned off by what seems to be a cheesy, somewhat overdone plot line and a predictable romantic premise. But don't be fooled--underneath all of that is a gem of YA storytelling.

1. I admit I initially stereotyped the protagonists at first. The male lead is a badass, which set off alarms in my mind because usually the "bad boy" is so badly, one-dimensionally written that he quickly loses his appeal....more
Crystal
This review is somewhat spoilerish be warned..

I am so confused with how I feel about this book. I liked it, but there are just a few things that I am not comfortable/used to and that makes it hard for me. I went with a 4 star because the concept is very original and I have to give the author major props for looking outside the box.
Story first, Willow is not your ordinary girl. First of all she is a mechanic and no I am not being sexist I just haven't read many books where the heroine works on ca...more
Steph Sinclair
Jul 05, 2011 Steph Sinclair rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those looking for another *decent* "Angel read"
Another decent angel book! Hell must be freezing over! Lol.
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Posted on K-Books

There are no words I could possibly say to get across the feelings I felt while reading this book. It left me completely and utterly speechless and the book I read afterwards I couldn't even concentrate on as all I could think about was this story.

Willow is half-angel, she has always had these powers that she has never understood or known why. Her mother can't speak to her and half the time doesn't even know who Willow is. That all changed...more
Georgina
Dec 26, 2010 Georgina rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Georgina by: Waterstones book reading thing
This story is not about angels, it is not about saving the world; it is about two teenagers who fall in love at first sight. I thought this book was going to be good but it wasn't, a quite long book that focused almost entirely on the relationship aspect of the novel, ignoring the plot to serve their relationship.
Not that even their relationship was done well, the two of them have just met, and after a week together are claiming to be in love. There is no real build up; one minute they loathe...more
H.Lee
It has been awhile since I read a book that I was completely absorbed in! This book will be released in May 2011 and I guarentee that it is one for anyone whom loves the YA genre to look out for. The author has a great storyline and one that is unique.

Willow is a teenager that finds herself a little awkward. She dresses quirky and enjoys working on cars. Alex is an AK (angel killer). He had grown up in a camp that trained people for angel hunting and killing. Their worlds collide when Alex is gi...more
Jen
My Thoughts: I may or may not have hit the ceiling when I got approved for Angel Burn. EVIL. ANGELS. YOU. GUYS.
And it's a loooooong read, so I was all prepared and shaking in anticipating for some detailed, delicious storytelling and slow-building of a lahve story.

Well, I was partially right.

I was so intrigued by the idea of a deceptive Church of Angels. I did enjoy the fact that we not only got a first person account from Willow, but also third person points of view from Alex, Jonah (the ang...more
Ash Wednesday
14r4i_zps2fc66efc

2.5 STARS

Though truth be told, coming in, I did have some high expectations seeing as I've read the better angel books ahead of reading this.

Angel Burn has quite the interesting twist in the angels sub-genre in that instead of having the usual religious backstory, angels are featured as beautiful, alien-like beings who come from a dying world and has come to our own using humans as sort of energy sources much like parasites. Shades of The Matrix' mythology now that I think about it. The title...more
Wrathsqueen
This is without doubt my favourite book!

Cover: I love both the UK and US versions of this book. I think the girl on the cover of the UK is a perfect Willow and is how I imagined the character to look which makes a change from covers that look nothing like the character they are meant to be.

Plot: Alex kills angels. They're not as we know angels but killers that feed off of our life energy. His next assignment is to kill Willow Fields...but she's like nothing he's ever seen before- half angel, ha...more
Ni_kii
Review can be found at http://themidnightreaders.blogspot.com/

This book surprised me, I was completely expecting to hate it after 30 pages when the POV had shifted a million times but, surprisingly, I loved it. It reminded me a little of the Host and a little of the TV show supernatural.

Alex is an Angel Killer. Forced into a life of hunting Angels by his father after an Angel killed his mother (see the resemblances here...!) he finds himself isolated and alone after the CIA take over the operati...more
Hershey  (Wants to be Magneto)
Much better than I expected it to be. Simple novel, the characters seemed to grip me till the very last pages and I found the plot to be interesting to read. On the whole this book wasn't great to the point were I can start gushing about it but it was good. And simple.
Courtney
One of my favorite story lines doesn’t come from a book. It comes from the 80s: the story of John Connor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Connor). Well, I should say the idea comes from the 80s, but I prefer the more recent versions of John Connor. I like my John Connor to grow from adorable Thomas Dekker into a rugged Christian Bale.

Time travel is always really hard for me to grasp. I end up trying to overanalyze it, so I can’t get into the story. Not with John Connor (even though I can’t qui...more
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Willow’s life is a struggle. She lives with her mom, who is suffering from some form of mental illness and her Aunt, a woman that reminds Willow daily how much of a burden Willow is on her time and resources.

To help with the finances, Willow fixes cars (not a common occupation for a girl) and does psychic readings (again, not a common occupation for a girl). The problem with Willow is her psychic readings are real. Since she was a small child, Willow could “read” people. It is a psychic reading...more
Crowinator
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

This book gives a whole new meaning to the phrase “touched by an angel”.

Because as we learn in the book’s opening pages, angels? Will bad touch you to death. Angels aren’t guardians of humanity or messengers of God; they are inter-dimensional beings who feed on our life force, causing serious physical and mental illnesses in the people they’ve fed from. (Sort of like Glory in Buffy, Season Five.) It’s called “angel burn”, and though the people burned by angels get sick...more
Michelle. D.
Um. This was so fricking AWESOME!

I mean, it has everything a good book needs.
A hawt (and when I say hawt I mean with a capital H) guy, a beautiful lady, road trips, guns, physical contact, interesting back stories 'magical' abilities, new angel theories, killing, regrets and not to mention a hawt guy!!!

The plot of this book was just genius, the characters were amazing and went so well together, the setting that appeared just enhanced the greatness, the problem and solutions went appeared perfect...more
Young Adult Book ...: Angel Trilogy (L A Weatherly) 1 12 Jul 22, 2014 05:48AM
What if there was a movie? 6 34 Jul 21, 2014 01:25AM
Angel books 1 15 May 19, 2014 04:18AM
Proud of being a ...: March BOTM - Angel (Angel #1) 1 4 Mar 02, 2014 04:22AM
Ask L.A. Weatherly: Ask me something! 10 20 Dec 29, 2013 06:02PM
Would you rather be half-angel half-human like Seb and Willow or an A.K (assasin) like Alex? 5 16 Oct 11, 2013 02:20PM
  • Mercy (Mercy, #1)
  • Awakened (Prequel, The Guardian Legacy)
  • Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)
  • Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)
  • A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1)
  • Meridian (Fenestra, #1)
  • Falling From Grace (Grace, #1)
  • Fallen Angel (Fallen Angel, #1)
  • Forbidden (The Demon Trappers, #2)
  • Stealing Phoenix (Benedicts, #2)
  • Angel Star (Angel Star, #1)
  • Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters, #1)
  • Wake Unto Me
  • A Need So Beautiful (A Need So Beautiful, #1)
  • Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1)
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
  • A Temptation of Angels
Lee Weatherly was born in 1967 and grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas, USA. She lives with her husband in Hampshire, England, where she writes, goes on walks, tries out new recipes and has a cat named Bernard.

L.A. Weatherly is the pseudonym for Lee Weatherly. You can follow her on Twitter at @LA_Weatherly
More about L.A. Weatherly...
Angel Fire (Angel, #2) Angel Fever (Angel, #3) Soul Mates Watcher Them

“Willow, you know that you said you couldn't tell how I felt at the rest stop?"

I nodded, and he took my hand, laying it flat on his chest with his own resting over it. "Can you tell now?" he asked.

His heart beat firmly under my hand; my own pulse was pounding so hard that I could barely think straight. Closing my eyes, I took a deep, steadying breath, and then another as I tried to clear my mind, to feel what he was feeling. For a moment there was just the softness of our breathing--then all at once it washed over me in a great wave.

He was in love with me, too.

I opened my eyes. Alex was still holding my hand to his chest, watching me, his expression more serious than I'd ever seen it. Unable to speak, I slowly dropped my hand and wrapped my arms around him. His own arms came around me as he rested his head on my hair.

"I really do, you know," he said, his voice rough.

"I know," I whispered back. "I do, too.”
165 likes
“You know that half the girls in school would have been after you."

He gave a soft laugh. "If they were into someone who was flunking out...I don't think I'd do too well with having to go to class when a bell rings or caring about homework..."

"A bad boy--even better. You'd have done well in Spanish class."

"If I ever went to it."

We lay in silence for a awhile; Alex's arms felt so warm and safe that I was starting to get sleepy. "Say something in Spanish," I mumbled.

He kissed my hair. "Te amo, Willow," he said quietly.

I came awake, smiling into the darkness. "What does that mean?" I whispered.

I could almost hear his own smile. "What do you think it means?"

I hugged him, kissing his collarbone and wondering if it was possible to actually die of happiness. "Te amo, Alex.”
147 likes