He Is Talking to the Fat Lady

He Is Talking to the Fat Lady

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In her first chapbook xTx holds nothing back, but if for one moment anyone thought this collection would drift from her candor explorations in prose and poetry they obviously haven't been paying attention to the words of this Southern California writer. As assumed xTx is not a birth name, and no one is really sure if this anonymity is to protect her or us.

*Note: Production...more
Chapbook , 1st , 26 pages
Published November 15th 2010 by Safety Third Enterprises

Ben Loory
if james ellroy and stephen king got together and beat the shit out of jeanette winterson, she might crawl home and bite a radioactive spider that would then become xTx.
Jordan
xTx might be one of the raccoons that haunts my trashcan—I'm equally scared and charmed. She's a responsibly unhinged internet writer, more direct than a firm spanking, and never afraid to be freaky or vulnerable.
He is Talking to the Fat Lady is full of words that drip with a raw and precious crude oil that is increasingly hard to find: voice. xTx's unique voice is slippery and dark and harmful if swallowed. I think she's learning to control it; the results thus far have been very impressive.
valerie
xTx. never disappoints.
Richard Thomas
Unafraid to go anywhere, anyplace. That's xTx. A compelling chapbook filled with humor, human waste, sex, pain, BBQ, things large and small. Never expected:

"You are big. Very big. So big with your girth. Your infinite waistline. Your head that hits the
sky. I cannot comprehend you as a whole, just pieces: fingers, knee, shirt sleeve.

I am tiny. Very tiny. So tiny with my shortness. My baby legs. My head skimming
undersides of coffee tables. You could put me into your mouth and I could live there."
Heather Foster
Loved this! Strange, moving, funny, and dark. I suggest reading it in spurts. I read it over the course of a couple days, one piece at a time. It's like eating a bite of something delicious, and then giving your brain time to process the deliciousness before you take a bite of something else. I found myself re-reading this thing and getting more and more jealous, the ultimate compliment to any writer. xTx is amazing, and she's only just begun. Hold onto your f***ing hat.
Shannon Peil
xTx takes words and shoves them down your throat until this little pit in your stomach swallows the rest of your body and you disappear. When you're done reading the words all your parts grow back together and you think, "fuck."
Marcus
xtx YES! Want more!!! Immediately started reading again after I finished it. It's that kind of book.

Hear Mud Luscious/Nephew has a new book out. Will have to get it after Christmas.
Justin
Brilliant and disturbing.
Marcus Speh
excellent stories by a mysterious author. i liked "PARTS" from this book so much that i recorded it for xTx' guest post on Nothing To Flawnt. here is the recording of PARTS.
Amy
I didn't jump quickly enough to acquire the printed chapbook, but I took advantage of the .pdf and mp3 version opportunity.

P.S. - Which I subsequently lost in a computer crash.
Tyler Crumrine
I'm a big fan of xTx's. She has a good handle on the potent and bizarre. Her stories get stuck in my brain and fester there.
M.
Feb 08, 2011 M. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, fiction, 2011
Excellent & fun, these short bursts of narrative are somehow simultaneously "present" but twisted, I'm into it.
Misti Rainwater-Lites
Misti Rainwater-Lites marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Stephen P
Stephen P marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Talisha
Talisha marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Mandy Haynes
Mandy Haynes marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Normally Special Nobody Trusts a Black Magician Billie the Bull Shudder Pageant Nouns of Assemblage