Start by marking “The Decolonial Imaginary: Writing Chicanas Into History” as Want to Read:
The Decolonial Imaginary: Writing Chicanas Into History

The Decolonial Imaginary: Writing Chicanas Into History

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  7 reviews
"The Decolonial Imaginary is a smart, challenging book that disrupts a great deal of what we think we know... it will certainly be read seriously in Chicano/a studies." --Women's Review of Books

Emma Perez discusses the historical methodology which has created Chicano history and argues that the historical narrative has often omitted gender. She poses a theory which rejects
Published September 1st 1999 by Indiana University Press (first published July 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Decolonial Imaginary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Decolonial Imaginary

Samhita
Excellent, excellent foray into the art of feminist historiography. She problematizes how we understand the post-colonial and argues we are not in a post-colonial state, but must take ourselves with the process of decolonizing. She does this through archival research of Chicana women. Brilliant and probably one book that has had the most impact on my writing and research than any other.
Nicolas Shump
Another important revisionist text. Perez is of the generation of third world feminists who want to be both feminists and members of their particular ethnic community (Chicana for Perez).
The idea of "decolonizing" history is part of a larger project occurring throughout academia and the larger world outside the ivory tower.
منى كريم
This is a great book on 'writing Chicanas into history' but also as a framework to think of history and the exclusion of women. The writer says, I paraphrase: voices of women survive, they are not silent, but they are just unheard.
Cristina
She is amazing. I learned so much from this book. I wouldn't know where to begin.
Sean Endymion
Dense, but interesting. I read parts, then put it aside.
Oren Whightsel
provides valuable alternatives to hegemonic historiography
Stephanie McClure
Jul 01, 2010 Stephanie McClure marked it as to-read
chicana lesbian feminist!
Tiara Peeples
Tiara Peeples marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Kristen Suagee-beauduy
Kristen Suagee-beauduy marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Amanda Fields
Amanda Fields is currently reading it
Nov 04, 2014
Alexandra Garcia
Alexandra Garcia marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Hasna
Hasna marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Daphne Gill
Daphne Gill marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Chris Tempel
Chris Tempel marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Roxana
Roxana marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Pau
Pau marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Monalesia
Monalesia is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2014
T And
T And added it
Jul 05, 2014
Belinda Davis
Belinda Davis marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014