Start by marking “The Decolonial Imaginary: Writing Chicanas Into History” as Want to Read:
The Decolonial Imaginary: Writing Chicanas Into History

The Decolonial Imaginary: Writing Chicanas Into History

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  7 reviews
"The Decolonial Imaginary is a smart, challenging book that disrupts a great deal of what we think we know... it will certainly be read seriously in Chicano/a studies." --Women's Review of Books

Emma Perez discusses the historical methodology which has created Chicano history and argues that the historical narrative has often omitted gender. She poses a theory which rejects
Published September 1st 1999 by Indiana University Press (first published July 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Decolonial Imaginary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Decolonial Imaginary

Samhita
Excellent, excellent foray into the art of feminist historiography. She problematizes how we understand the post-colonial and argues we are not in a post-colonial state, but must take ourselves with the process of decolonizing. She does this through archival research of Chicana women. Brilliant and probably one book that has had the most impact on my writing and research than any other.
Nicolas Shump
Another important revisionist text. Perez is of the generation of third world feminists who want to be both feminists and members of their particular ethnic community (Chicana for Perez).
The idea of "decolonizing" history is part of a larger project occurring throughout academia and the larger world outside the ivory tower.
منى كريم
This is a great book on 'writing Chicanas into history' but also as a framework to think of history and the exclusion of women. The writer says, I paraphrase: voices of women survive, they are not silent, but they are just unheard.
Cristina
She is amazing. I learned so much from this book. I wouldn't know where to begin.
Sean Endymion
Dense, but interesting. I read parts, then put it aside.
Oren Whightsel
provides valuable alternatives to hegemonic historiography
Stephanie McClure
Jul 01, 2010 Stephanie McClure marked it as to-read
chicana lesbian feminist!
Yesenia Tea
Yesenia Tea marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Augusto
Augusto marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Chamath
Chamath marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Jessica Estey
Jessica Estey marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
H. Lovato Diaz
H. Lovato Diaz marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Lane
Lane marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Eliza
Eliza marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Kassandra
Kassandra marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Tiara Peeples
Tiara Peeples marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Kristen Suagee-beauduy
Kristen Suagee-beauduy marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Alexandra Garcia
Alexandra Garcia marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014