Start by marking “Poems of Childhood” as Want to Read:
Poems of Childhood

Poems of Childhood

In celebration of the 150th anniversary of Scribner Books, Poems in Childhood becomes the sixteenth book in a series of reissued Scribner Illustrated Classics, bringing the works of popular American poet and humorist Eugene Field and famed illustrator Maxfield Parrish to a new generation of readers. Full color. Young Adult.
Published October 1st 1996 by Atheneum Books (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about Poems of Childhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems of Childhood

Jill Hutchinson
Jan 25, 2016 Jill Hutchinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This little book is one of the treasures of my childhood, along with A Child's Garden of Verses. I remember my parents reading this to me and I have continued to read it throughout my life. It contains such wonderful poems.....some of my favorites are: Wynken,Blynken and Nod, The Rock-A-By Lady, Seein' Things, and the one that always makes me get tears in my eyes, Little Boy Blue (not Little Boy Blue come blow your horn). It is a joy to revisit these sweet and sometimes sad little verses and thi ...more
Teresa
Jul 08, 2008 Teresa rated it it was amazing
The first Field poem I learned was "The Little Boy Blue," We had to memorize poems starting in the fourth grade. I picked that one.

It took me many years to find the book of poems here. But it has all my favorite.

Another poem I love ins "Jest for Christmas," and "The Sugar Plum Tree." Read them, they are cute.
Juli
Jun 25, 2012 Juli rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite childhood book. not only are the poems fabulous, but the illustrations by the great Maxfield Parrish keep me coming back to this book. The book is a work of art.
Jobiska (Cindy)
Definitely right to call this "Poems OF CHILDHOOD" rather than poems for children, because the former is more correct. Although there are a few well-known pieces in here,that are often in other anthologies (Wynken, Blynken, and Nod, and The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat), a huge percentage of the others are more musings of an older person about his own childhood, about dead children, or about children in his life. So definitely don't acquire this expecting that it will appeal to a broad variety ...more
David
Oct 19, 2008 David rated it liked it
This book wasn't so fun because I had just lost my blanket.

Mom's note: Eugene Field is a wonderful poet. He wrote "Winken, Blinken, and Nod" and many other old poems. This particular book is illustrated by Maxfield Parrish, who happens to be one of my absolute favorite artists. Truly, I only found about 3 delightful poems in this collection, and quite a few good ones. I give this book 4 stars.
Maureen
Jul 15, 2009 Maureen rated it it was amazing
THE most perfect book of poetry. Not just for children although it was introduced to me as a child by my most imperfect father. The art is amazing the poetry substantial.
This book is the reason that I am a bibliophile and not just a reader.
Susan
Jan 05, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
One of my favorite poems is "Wynken, Blyken and Nod" by Eugene Field
Jacqueline
Oct 29, 2011 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Poems of Childhood has timeless poetry for children with classic illustrations by Maxfield Parrish.
Shannon
Sep 19, 2007 Shannon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with kids
Shelves: favorites
I love this poetry book. I've had it since I was a baby and I still love reading the poems...they bring back fond childhood memories. Plus, I just realized that my version of the book is from 1922!
Rachel
Feb 06, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Poems to be read over and over. These always make me cherish my little guys all the more.
Carly
Jun 23, 2008 Carly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book growing up, my favorite poem in the book, The Lollipop Tree.
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2012
Edi
Edi rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2012
Nancy Wakeman
Nancy Wakeman rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2015
Janice
Janice rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2009
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Jonathan Wardle
Jonathan Wardle rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2016
Taylor Gibbon
Taylor Gibbon rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2008
Don Gubler
Don Gubler rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
DJ
DJ rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2007
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2011
Positively Courageous
Positively Courageous rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Richard Gombert
Richard Gombert rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Susan Tungate
Susan Tungate rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2011
judie andrews
judie andrews rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2015
April
April rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Sally  Davis
Sally Davis rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2015
lindafay
lindafay rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
Wolfie
Wolfie rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2013