Start by marking “The Strategically Small Church: Intimate, Nimble, Authentic, and Effective” as Want to Read:
The Strategically Small Church: Intimate, Nimble, Authentic, and Effective

The Strategically Small Church: Intimate, Nimble, Authentic, and Effective

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Pastor and Leadership journal editor shows how small churches are uniquely equipped for success in today's culture, offering encouragement and help to pastors and leaders.
Published August 1st 2010 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Strategically Small Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Strategically Small Church

Tim
At first, this book might sound like it's making excuses for being ineffective. But, it actually makes a strong case that a small church holds many inherent advantages over a large church that's doing real and effective ministry.

Interestingly, I have been simultaneously reading another book that lays out strategies and structures for large churches to employ in order to build authentic community. But "the strategically small church" is ready-made to accomplish this already!

Rather than focusing
Pastoralmusings
The Stategically Small Church is a refreshing book. It affirms the small church in its smallness. Not the ineffective, uncaring smallness that prays for “me and my four, and no more”. It affirms the fact that smallness isn't a bad thing, but can be strategically used to honor God and minister to others.
In the Christian world bigger seems to be better. It seems that we have bought into the world's idea that size equals worth. O'Brien counters that with the fact that a small church may not be able
Joe Cassada
Brandon J. O'Brien is a pastor of a relatively small church. He is also a pastor with whom I would have many, many theological disagreements. Which is why I was surprised that so much of what he said resonated with me - perhaps because I also pastor a small church.

In a day and age when the mega-church is presented as the ideal ministry model, and celebrity pastors crowd the conference scene and monopolize American Christianity's attention, and small churches are viewed as not reaching their pote
Yiya
Pastor O'Brien understands that the success of a church cannot be measured by numbers - attendants, offerings, buildings, square feet... On the contrary, it is how much the congregation affects the Kingdom of God and gives its members the opportunity of accountability, participation, spiritual growth, intimacy and belonging. Therefore, these would be the indicators of how effective a church is and would allow its members to be confident in their own strengths, impact their community and provide ...more
Dan
Really couldn't decide whether this book deserved 3 or 4 stars. Guess I would give it a 3 1/2. Some valuable insights, but felt like he still used the larger & "cooler" churches as examples--which bothered me. That said, I agreed with much of what was written about the intergenerational ministry potential of the smaller church, as well as opportunities for leadership development. I suppose we have discovered much of this at City's Edge, and it bothers me a bit that I didn't write this book : ...more
Sandy
What a thoughtful, provocative, encouraging book. I really think anyone involved in church ministry should read this.
Debbi
Aug 11, 2012 Debbi added it
Shelves: spiritual
Interesting perspective on the "small" church and it's strengths
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Kevin Birnie
Kevin Birnie marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Ebookwormy
Ebookwormy marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Adrienne Zermeno
Adrienne Zermeno marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Matthew Carpenter
Matthew Carpenter marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Eric Stangland
Eric Stangland marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Sue
Sue is currently reading it
Oct 24, 2013
James
James added it
Oct 16, 2013
Darceylaine
Darceylaine is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2014
Robert Lowry
Robert Lowry marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Norman
Norman marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Kevin Sorensen
Kevin Sorensen is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Brandon J. O'Brien (M.A., Wheaton College Graduate School) is a part-time instructor of religion at the College of DuPage and editor-at-large for Leadership journal with "Christianity Today." He is scheduled to complete his doctoral work in theological studies in 2012. O'Brien has previously published "The Strategically Small Church" (Bethany House, 2010).
More about Brandon J. O'Brien...
Small Church Big Impact Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes: Removing Cultural Blinders to Better Understand the Bible