Start by marking “30 Days to a Well-Mannered Dog: The Loved Dog Method” as Want to Read:
30 Days to a Well-Mannered Dog: The Loved Dog Method

30 Days to a Well-Mannered Dog: The Loved Dog Method

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  164 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Long known as a dog coach to the stars—her clients include Oprah Winfrey, Ben Affleck, Courteney Cox-Arquette, Owen Wilson, Natalie Portman, and Larry King—Tamar Geller changed the way Americans relate to their dogs with her bestselling book The Loved Dog. Her approach is simple and down-to-earth. Instead of utilizing the negative and often painful feedback of physical dom ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about 30 Days to a Well-Mannered Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 30 Days to a Well-Mannered Dog

Davytron
Oct 14, 2014 Davytron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, dogs
This is a great dog training book! I liked it because of the emphasis on love as opposed to dominance and submission that is so trendy these days (and is quite awful). Tamar's perspective is probably the closest to my own. Her advice is simple at times and is probably a bit too much so for some "experienced" dog owners/trainers but it's always nice to add a little to your repertoire.

There are some issues with the book, though. She glosses over some things that probably need a little more explan
Jen
Jan 10, 2011 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dog-books
An inconsistent blend of common sense, traditional instructions and milder forms of correction. The corrections she does choose to present are ones I do not object to, though other reviews have, however, one has to question the means by which the author makes the decision which to approve and which to pooh-pooh. It really is kind of a puzzle what she opts to promote and (in most cases) what she opts to speak out against. She's got it all wrong when it comes to defining terms like "alpha", "domin ...more
Abbey
Jun 03, 2015 Abbey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would have been at minimum four-star - maybe even five star, except for two things. One, the interminable name-dropping. It's very useful for the author to share real-life training sessions to illustrate her points - but who really cares if the dog involved belongs to Oprah or Brad Paisley, or Joe the janitor down the block? The fame of her clients does not make me more confident in her methods - we all know how many crazy, goofy, and/or dangerous things celebrities become involved wit ...more
Romina B
May 22, 2015 Romina B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. It was all about positive reinforcement and bonding with your dog, rather than correcting behaviors I think it helps build trust and strengthen the bond between humans and their canine companion(s). Must read! I have to say, it's more humane / loving to teach dog tricks with this (since I always need a treat and a positive state of mind, as opposed to intimidating a dog with harsh tones and maybe physical reinforcement) and it makes sense. I like the respect the author has towards ...more
Liz
May 02, 2013 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is wonderful.

I've read a lot of dog training books, including a few by Cesar Millan and the Monks of New Skete, and this would be the one I'd recommend. I think it's really important that Tamar's methods are 99% positive reinforcement. Those are the kinds I've had the most success with, both in terms of dog behavior and bonding with my dog. Pat Miller's books are also great, but the organization of this one is just fantastic. It's also well-written and an easy read.

In this book Tamar
Nancy
Apr 04, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot of good information on positive ways to interact with and train your dog in this book. I like that. However, the frequent name-dropping of Hollywood clients, such as Oprah, got more than a little tiresome. Also, the narrator’s cloyingly sweet tone in the audiobook became annoying quickly.

I believe in positive training methods, I really do. However, this trainer implied that changing aggressive and troublesome canine behavior was simply a matter of getting your dog to love you th
Susan Sullivan
Jun 04, 2014 Susan Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would be better titled "30 WEEKS to a Well-Mannered Dog," but that probably wouldn't sell as many books since people these days want the magic bullet to instant results.

However, I've been incorporating some of the philosophy with my impossible dog, Goober, and have gotten fantastic results. I've even taught him how to speak on command, something I've never even attempted before. He's coming when I call him much better from out in the yard (Goober is a devout backyard hunter) and he's q
Marian
Jul 24, 2015 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book really inspiring.I won't use everything, but the basic concepts made such s difference! My new dog sits for food and to go out, and will generally stay calm on the leash. Making great progress with staying calm when meeting other dogs on walks.

The basics were really just about how to connect with my dog, to understand his needs, and how to use treats to create positive associations with me, home and desired actions. It sounds so simple, and it really is, but I would never have
Ashley Treadway
Jan 03, 2014 Ashley Treadway rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I plan to use this book, along with Cesar Millan's "How to Raise the Perfect Dog" to train my new puppy. Geller says that you don't need to force your dog into submission, you want to win him over by fulfilling all of his needs and making him want to do what you want because he loves you so very much...like children want to make the right decisions to appease their parents.

She recommends "making a party" for your dog when he does something well at first--giving him a "jackpot" of treats and giv
Tracy
Jan 08, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She name drops way too much but I like her philosophy. She lost some credibility with me when she started hailing Monty Roberts. There are plenty of lesser known horse trainers who have more subtler approaches that have lasting results. She is very much into current fads and I feel not all of them have been well-researched by her.
Kara
Dec 31, 2015 Kara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
This is a readable dog training book, but it isn't groundbreaking. Ms. Geller seems to set herself up as the "antidote" to Cesar Milan's dog training methods. In truth, I think they share quite a bit in common.
Tracy
Jan 08, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love her methods and philosophy but the name dropping got kind of old. Also, while I like her approach she lost some credibility with me when she started proclaiming Monty Roberts as one of the best horse trainers in the world. She appears to be into fads without doing all her research.
Cyndie
Feb 09, 2013 Cyndie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, animal-vet-books
Was really impressed with this book and it's recommendations until I got to about Day 27. Ms. Geller would hate for someone who wasn't an expert in her field to start giving training advice. Yet, she gives potentially dangerous veterinary medical advice. It is hard enough teaching my clients that raw diets are potentially dangerous to them and their pet and have no proven benefits. It is especially hard convincing them that recipes that have not actually been reviewed by veterinary nutritionists ...more
Maria
Nov 20, 2014 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cheesily written but very good basic dog training principles. Easy to follow. Nice read.
Betsie Bush
A lot of information that I already knew but also a lot of good tips and games that I have already started implementing.

2015 Reading Challenge - Number in the title
Karen Gemind
I volunteer with a national cairn terrier rescue group and frequently recommend this book to adopting families. Especially since rescued animals who are starting a new life must know that being loved is possible. That love means loving discipline, long walks, treats, belly rub, car rides, just being with their person. Tamar Geller talks about all of that in such an endearing way - so very memorable. Read it, then love your pet!
TheresHeather
Jan 25, 2016 TheresHeather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs, non-fiction
"I believe that we were put on this Earth for bigger reasons than to merely control and use nature. I believe that we are alive in order to grow, not only as people, but also as souls, learning patience, kindness, gratitude, and to be in awe of all that we cannot understand."

Just as when I finished The Loved Dog, I was blown away by Tamar Geller. I can't put it any more plainly than that.
Elizabeth Ruston
I love this whole method of training dogs. It really does work. Yesterday puppy Moose turned 10 weeks old. I've had him 3 weeks now, and I think I can safely say he's house trained. He rings the bell to go out, which is great, since yesterday he ate something unauthorized and ended up going out a LOT. Training this way makes it fun for him and for me--it's all play. Thank you, Tamar Geller!
Jim Johnson
I did learn a few things but there was something irritating about the author. I don't think she was correct about some things and she came off a little too preachy. This might have been better in a hard cover or paperback format so I could go through each of the 30 days one day at a time. It would also work as a training reference manual than just reading it straight through.
Peri Kinder
Oct 26, 2012 Peri Kinder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE my dog. Ringo the Dog is a half lab/half border collie weighing in at 80 pounds, who thinks he's a lap dog.

In her book, Tamar gives some great ideas for positive training and reinforcement. I've tried many of the exercises with Ringo, and he's really had fun.

It's always fun to teach your pet something new--and they enjoy it, too.
Jun 11, 2015 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lots of name dropping. I'd prefer a more straight forward dog training book, but she goes into all the celebrities she's worked with and their dogs.
Emily
Apr 24, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some cheesy and preachy parts, but they're balanced by lots of good advice.
Cult
Apr 02, 2010 Cult rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
If you want to train your dog to be a great companion, loyal, obedient, loving... you know... all the things your X wasn't, this is the perfect book. Hell, send one to your X. Might help them too.

(I've read several dog training books. This one is one of the best)
Cynthia
Jun 22, 2011 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and will be looking for my own copy. I found her emphasis on positive training very encouraging, and the steps very clear. We used the directions in the book to teach our adopted dog "sit" "down" and her new name. So far, so good.
Nickie
Oct 21, 2011 Nickie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, my dog's manners are slightly improved ... and yes I am growing to love my dog more ... and yes my dog LOVES me (treats are a great way to a dog's heart) ... I just wish the dog would love the kids more! :-)
Sam
Aug 05, 2013 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs, non-fiction
I didn't always agree with the author, but for the most part this is a very positive dog training book. I would recommend it, especially to new dog owners.
Apr 15, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a thoughtful and logical alternative to Cesar Milan. I like Geller's methods and have been using them with some success on our dear calamity Jane :)
Cathy
Apr 18, 2012 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty good, although there were a few things she said I didn't agree with. I do, however, agree on positive reinforcement without negative.
Caitlinleah
Oct 15, 2011 Caitlinleah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
This is the one i ended up buying. now 30 days into dog ownership he is certainly not well-mannered, but he is on his way.
Fullfaun
Dec 16, 2010 Fullfaun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is great book. Started using her techniques immediately. Dog was very happy to no longer bored.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training
  • In a Dog's Heart: What Our Dogs Need, Want, and Deserve--and the Gifts We Can Expect in Return
  • How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves
  • Train Your Dog Positively: Understand Your Dog and Solve Common Behavior Problems Including Separation Anxiety, Excessive Barking, Aggression, Housetraining, Leash Pulling, and More!
  • The Dog Who Couldn't Stop Loving: How Dogs Have Captured Our Hearts for Thousands of Years
  • The Modern Dog: How Dogs Fit into Our Society, Culture, and Our Personal and Emotional Lives
  • How the Dog Became the Dog: From Wolves to Our Best Friends
  • The Whole Hog: Exploring the Extraordinary Potential of Pigs
  • Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs
  • The Power of Positive Dog Training
  • Why Dogs Are Better Than Cats
  • The Truth about Dogs: An Inquiry into Ancestry Social Conventions Mental Habits Moral Fiber Canis fami
  • The Dog Whisperer: A Compassionate, Nonviolent Approach to Dog Training
  • Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook
  • The Perfect Companion: Understanding, Training and Bonding with your Dog!
  • Winging It: A Memoir of Caring for a Vengeful Parrot Who's Determined to Kill Me
  • How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Manual for Dog Owners