Start by marking “Everybody Sees the Ants” as Want to Read:
Everybody Sees the Ants

Everybody Sees the Ants

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  7,841 ratings  ·  1,415 reviews
Lucky Linderman didn't ask for his life. He didn't ask his grandfather not to come home from the Vietnam War. He didn't ask for a father who never got over it. He didn't ask for a mother who keeps pretending their dysfunctional family is fine. And he didn't ask to be the target of Nader McMillan's relentless bullying, which has finally gone too far.

But Lucky has a secret--
Published October 3rd 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

Divergent by Veronica RothBetween Shades of Gray by Ruta SepetysA Monster Calls by Patrick NessOkay for Now by Gary D. SchmidtDaughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor
Mock Printz 2012
10th out of 50 books — 277 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
John Green's Book Recommendations
13th out of 64 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May

A.S. King: "Everybody Sees the Ants originated from an idea that we are all prisoners. An idea that bullying is a widely ignored form of torture. An idea that only we can choose to escape from our own prisons. An idea that no one can take something from us if we don't give it."

This is a very powerful novel. It is a story for everyone because it's true that everyone has to had to face some form of shit in their lives in one way or another. Every day all over the world people are being hurt, sexu
Ariel
I am not exaggerating or being dramatic when I say that this is now one of my favourite books.

It was so unbelievably poignant, and I have not loved the main character so much in a really long time.

I want everyone to read this book.
Alienor ๑ is waiting for July ๑

Actual rating : 3.5 stars

Let's clear the air right away : Each and every one of the characters is complex and believable, from the teenagers to the adults in their lives. As it is, they're flawed. They're realistic. Once again I have to say that in my book that's the most important in a contemporary. I don't care about perfect people, otherwise I would read old fairytales, you know, those where the girl is waiting for her perfect guy to step in to save the day. *pukes*

A.S King created such a b
Lora
Feb 02, 2012 Lora rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of YA realistic fiction told from a male's POV; Maja
Recommended to Lora by: Emily May
I'm so, so glad I decided to give King another try despite my mixed feelings over her Printz Honor, Please Ignore Vera Dietz. Everybody Sees the Ants is an astonishingly wonderful gift to young-adult literature, one that I feel extremely fortunate to have read.

Since the age of seven, Lucky Linderman has been having dreams in which he visits his grandfather in the prison camp where he's resided since being listed as MIA in the Vietnam War back in 1972. When his grandmother died, she asked Luck
Crowinator
Actual rating: Is it lame to say 4.5 stars?

So this review is long, inadequate, and perhaps a bit rambling and confusing. It doesn't really have plot spoilers (this is a quiet book where not a lot happens, action-wise), but it does have thematic spoilers, so read at your own peril. It's always harder to write about the books that really mean something to me, as opposed to the books I merely like a whole lot, and I can't do it without that. If you want to avoid even the thematic spoilers, just re
Catie
Jul 24, 2011 Catie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Catie by: Crowinator
So much of growing up is just strung together moments of disillusionment, isn’t it? As a parent, I want to shelter my children from as much as possible, but as a former child, I have to say that I wish that I had learned certain things a bit sooner. For example, I think that if there were some sort of instruction manual issued at birth, item one, paragraph one would read:

1. On Parents

i. The adults in your life may think that they know everything, but in reality, they are just people. And the gen
Sarah Churchill
I had heard a lot of hype about the book, but didn't really know what it was about beyond what a vague synopsis. So I went in fairly blind, which is how I like it, and I am now a BIG fan of this book.

It felt easy to read and follow, but at the same time almost every supporting character had their own story, so it's a woven web of philosophy and psychology. In the main this is a book about a boy (ironically called 'Lucky') who is tormented by a vile bully and haunted by the 'memory' of a grandfat
Raeleen Lemay
FREAKING AMAZING, YOU GUYS. I might actually do a book review/discussion on this.... we'll see.

A.S. King has been popping up on my reading radar and to-read lists for a long time. I can’t believe I waited this long to hear her voice! Everybody Sees the Ants is a story with tough subjects, but one told with humor, imagination, and honesty. A voice, style and lesson I will never forget. A young man I will never forget.

Lucky Linderman is just trying to survive the battle of the high school halls. But a bully targeted him years before filling his days with fear and dread. Told in cuts and fla
Barry Pierce
My first foray in YA in two and a half years. And I enjoyed it! I read this on personal recommendation from Ariel Bissett so thank you dearie! I enjoyed the plot, the characters, and it's written in very simple/basic prose. There were some points at which it kept reminding me that it was a YA novel (instant romances for instance) but they weren't so common to put me off. This is a nice, light, and very quick read. Am I a YA convert? No of course not calm down. But I might venture into the genre ...more
Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui
5 SURPRISING STARS

This book started as a casual read for humor and it suddenly changed into a completely different experience.
It was there on my to-read shelf for so long and I regret that I delayed reading it and you guys should not delay.

A quote from the book on how we can tackle our problems:

“The simplest answer is to act.”

This book deals with topics like:

- Bullying
- Abuse
- Impact on the family of dead soldiers after war

The topics of this book are difficult to discuss for any author but
Mickie
***EDIT***
This is how much I love this book. I read it and immediately sat it on my 16yr old son's bed. In our house this means: Read this, you'll like it. He said... "ehhhh...I would read that IF you made me a paper craft of My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic character, Rainbow Dash." Oh, did he think that was clever. I spent two hours cutting tiny rainbow pony legs out and trying to convince a glue stick that it should do my bidding. But I made the damn horse and he is reading the damn book.
Jacob McCabe
I enjoyed this book for many reasons. I'm a fan of the main character, Lucky, and his struggles. The book heavily focuses on bullying in a relatively realistic way, which is often disconcerting, because books/movies usually portray bullying in an exaggerated way. A.S. King made me feel like I was Lucky, and boy, do I know some Naders in my life.

My main problem with the book, which is the reason I docked a star, is because I felt disconnected from both the writing and the direction of the story.
Wayne Barrett
Wow! I liked this book so much that I am immediately going to browse A,S. King's other books and pick more to read. For me, this was reminiscent of Donna Tart's 'Goldfinch' but without the 300 pages of dead space.
"The world is full of assholes. What are you going to do to make sure you are not one of them?"
This story, surrounding a young man names Lucky, is a tale of bullying...but so much more. I read this from beginning to end in a 24 hour span and closed the last page with glassy eyes.
I ima
mich

I've only read one other book by King - Please Ignore Vera Dietz - and it was a very similar experience for me as this one. Both stories contained an odd mixture of humor, extremely fucked up shit, and a weird surreal strangeness that, for me, just works.

Aaron Vincent
Apr 21, 2015 Aaron Vincent rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aaron Vincent by: Patrick
When I was challenged to finish a YA novel in basically 24 hours, I selected A.S. King's Everybody Sees The Ants. Seeing its page count at 280 pages, I thought it will be quick and easy but because the universe loves to kick you in the nuts with irony, it turned out to be the opposite. It's a very difficult book to read and even harder to write a review about. It hit a little too close to home.

Everybody Sees The Ants is about a boy named Lucky who is dealing with some not particularly fortunate
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard

I always appreciate books that contain intelligent discussion about depression. So often that conversation is trite, trivial and about how you can fix your life if you just do a, b, and c. Then it's always the goth or the emo kid who's depressed, never the smart or pretty people. Depression doesn't happen to them!

Except that it can happen to anyone.

Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King doesn't talk down to people struggling with depression or bullying. It takes more of a conversational tone. This
Andrewfink
I can barely sit still I'm so excited to see wether Lucky will save his Grandpa from the jungles; even save himself from the wrath of Nader McMillan. I feel very close to Lucky, as if he's my best friend and has been for many years. I can't stand his aunt. The book has had awesome character development.

After reading the book review:
Oh sigh. Tears are streaming down my face. After reading halfway through the book I thought it was good, I couldn't wait too see what would happen to Lucky. I was mo
Ellen Hopkins
Deserving of its many honors. Amy King is a writers' writer.
Isamlq
A.S. King has a knack for writing Quirky Characters. His mom, his dad, the bully, his grandfather, Uncle Dave and, Aunt Jodi and Lucky in particular: all are very different from what I am used to.

Squids and Turtles… I love how the boy thinks. How he’s put the people in his life in certain boxes and thinks of them that way and yet all at once he’s is completely right about what he thinks and funny, if veering a little toward the oversimplified. His parents: they not be perfect. It was incredibly
Suad Shamma
I first bought Everybody Sees the Ants because it had such great reviews and an even better synopsis.

A boy that retreats into his dreams to escape reality, and finds himself in war-ridden jungles? A place where he can be anyone he wants to be, a better version of himself even? A place where it becomes so easy to submerge yourself into, rather than live your life? How awesome does that sound? I thought for sure this book is going to be worth the read.

Sadly, it wasn't.

Yes, as many reviewers have s
Maddison
This book really surprised me. I wasn't too sure about it at the beginning, but it transformed into this amazing book that explored such deep issues - presented in such an eloquent way.
I read the last page and flipped over and I just couldn't believe it was finished. I just wanted to keep reading.
Lucky is such a great character that everyone, or most people, would be able to relate to - because everybody sees the ants. In one way or another, we all do see the ants. They might not be ants, but
Amanda
I went into this book not knowing too much about it. I had never read anything by A.S King before and I did not know what to expect. I ended up loving it.

First, this book was incredibly skillfully written. So many important questions were raised and so many significant messages conveyed. Still, they didn't feel forced upon you, but were beautifully woven into the story.
The main character felt true and believable, his situation a relatable one. Also, the characters surrounding him were vivid and
Megan Olivier
Even though I HATE analyzing books, I'd absolutely love to look at every aspect of this book in detail. Everything connects together so well, which is amazing because A.S. King is one of those authors who does no planning before she writes.

I'd definitely recommend this book, particularly to fans of John Green (AKA everybody).
Danielle
*4.5*

Okay so this review is probably going to be a mess because I have so many things to say, and also I really need to get to bed right now but I need to get my thoughts down before I forget things!
Also I'm going to try and keep this spoiler free.

Before I start, I need to point out that this book should have probably got 5 stars from me, but however, I think it started out fairly slowly but that's basically my only reason. Apart from that I ADORED this book so much and I absolutely love Lucky s
Misty
This review has been in the making for ages. It's kind of ridiculous how long it's taken me to write it - to the point that I was wondering if I'd have to read the book again before I could -because it's hard to know what to say. Part of me just wants to say: Get it; read it . Part of me wants to say: A.S King should already be on your auto-buy list . But how else to talk about this complex, weird, painful, triumphant book without giving away some of its magic?

I guess I'll start with Lucky. I
Lúa.
Últimamente la premisa: protagonista masculino + dosis de realismo parece estar dando buen resultado, he descubierto que adoro este tipo de lecturas y no me equivoqué al elegir esta novela. Lamentablemente estamos ante otro libro NO traducido al español, así que siento mucho si este tipo de reseñas no os son muy útiles a los que no leéis en inglés pero ya sabéis que leo bastante en este idioma (todo lo que puedo)

Todo comienza con la muerte de la abuela de Lucky, unos estúpidos cuestionarios acer
Victoria Scott
This book will undoubtedly go on my Top 10 of 2011 list. I feel like I now think of people in two categories: those that would also love this book, and those I want nothing to do with. Kidding. Kind of. I seriously dare you to read this book and not feel for Lucky Linderman and his quest to become a normal kid. The thing is, Lucky, you already are. You. Al-ready. Are. *Squeezes little Linderman to my chest and cries*

I'm not sure I'll ever love another character the way I love Lucky. End of stor
Ainur
This book reminds me a lot of A Tale for the Time Being. The protagonist was being bullied and seek comfort from his/her grandfather/grandmother. But instead of hanging out or texting her grandmother like Naoko, Lucky ended up having dreams about his grandfather every night, who was killed during the Vietnam War. (view spoiler)

I really enjoyed rea
Rebecca McNutt
This book was amazing. Not only does it have Seventies nostalgia, it also brings attention to the futility of war and the effect it has on those still alive left to grieve over lost friends and family. One boy keeps afloat with his strange fantasy of fighting overseas in thick jungles after his family is torn apart by the Vietnam war. It's a very insightful, disturbing, sad and well-written book, I highly recommend it. ...more
  • Leverage
  • Stupid Fast (Stupid Fast, #1)
  • The Last Summer of the Death Warriors
  • Where Things Come Back
  • Under the Mesquite
  • Stick
  • Blink and Caution
  • The Blood of the Lamb
  • How to Save a Life
  • Beneath a Meth Moon
  • No Crystal Stair: A Documentary Novel of the Life and Work of Lewis Michaux, Harlem Bookseller
  • Rotters
  • Never Fall Down
  • Orchards
  • Life: An Exploded Diagram
  • Personal Effects
  • Boy21
  • Mindblind
A.S. King is the author of the highly-acclaimed GLORY O'BRIEN'S HISTORY OF THE FUTURE, REALITY BOY, 2013 LA Times Book Prize winner ASK THE PASSENGERS, 2012 ALA Top Ten Book for Young Adults EVERYBODY SEES THE ANTS, and 2011 Michael L. Printz Honor Book PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZ. She is also the author of the ALA Best Books for Young Adults THE DUST OF 100 DOGS as well as a collection of award-winn ...more
More about A.S. King...
Please Ignore Vera Dietz Ask the Passengers Reality Boy Glory O'Brien's History of the Future The Dust of 100 Dogs

“The world is full of assholes. What are you doing to make sure you're not one of them?” 272 likes
“Listen to me. They may control what you do, but no one can pee on your soul without your permission.” 74 likes