Start by marking “The Memory of Earth (Homecoming Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Memory of Earth (Homecoming Saga, #1)

The Memory of Earth (Homecoming Saga #1)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  10,957 ratings  ·  381 reviews
The Oversoul protects the planet Harmony from war and destruction by subtle interference in the thoughts of the people. But now, some of its systems are failing, and men are beginning to think about power and conquest.
Published 1992 by Legend

To ask other readers questions about The Memory of Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memory of Earth

Mike (the Paladin)
I haven't set aside a shelf titled "science-fantasy" but now and then there are books that should be called that. This is a slightly odd book in a couple of ways. It's firmly a fantasy but set in a science fiction universe with a science fiction set-up.

I found the book's opening interesting and was drawn into the story. Sadly it tends to lag badly in several places gets bogged down often. Aside from that the story itself is an interesting one and I think many will like it.

There is something I f
Shelly
I'm not an Orson Scott Card hater and though I despise many of his politcal views I am a fan of a lot of his work, especially the Ender Game series which think is terrific. This one, I just didn't like. It wasn't horrible, but it is certainly nowhere near as good as the Ender series. Plus, all of the things that I don't like about Card (e.g., politics and moralizing) seemed to be front and center in this story. It was just too much and I didn't enjoy reading it.

Mike Hankins
This is a difficult review for me to write, as it raises the question of what my book reviews need to be. On the one hand, I found this book to be very well-written, yet the themes, implications and general message I profoundly disagreed with and found a little disturbing. To deal with this, I've decided to score this one based on it's craft, not counting "against" it because I happen to disagree with it's message, although it will be impossible for me to make a full review without commenting on ...more
Emma
I really enjoyed reading this book. I liked the descriptions of the cultural and political systems used in the setting as they are very different from any other kind I have known of. I have also gotten to like many of the characters, and even some of their strange names, though a few of them still bother me (such as "Luet").

The only reason that I gave this book four stars rather than five is that I would have liked for it to surprise me a bit more. Being very familiar with the story that it is b
Julia
I liked this whole sci-fi series. I've heard that it has a lot of Mormon themes in it (the author is Mormon or lapsed Mormon or something like that) but to be honest, I didn't notice it at the time I was reading it and it didn't interfere with my enjoyment. Dramatic stories, fun characters, big mysterious computers...
Stephanie
This series had good potential, and I liked this novel, but once the series started getting "preachy" I dropped it like a hot potato. Card is a perfectly decent writer, though his style is pretty straightforward and lacking much flourish, but he let's his personal beliefs creep into most of his works. If it were just a couple of his novels that were thinly veiled Mormon mythologies it would be fine, but a large percentage of his later work is very colored by his religious beliefs. This novel and ...more
John
This was the first Orson Scott Card novel I read and I liked it a lot. If I remember correctly I went through the five books in this saga (Homecoming Saga) in about two weeks. Several years later I found out that the series is loosely based on the Book of Mormon (Orson Scott Card is mormon). Go figure.
G33z3r
An interesting story premise, and a well-written narrative, though only the start of what will apparently be a very long tale. Unfortunately, I found all the major characters so obnoxious (and frequently stupid) that I have no interest in reading the rest of their story.
Stephen Gallup
More or less by chance I've been reading a lot by Orson Scott Card recently--probably because each title I've picked up seems different enough from the others to make me curious about the author's range.

Along the way I've noticed that a fair number of other readers object to the author's themes and messages, calling the writing "preachy," "Mormon propaganda," "religious allegory,' etc. Personally, I wouldn't recognize an LDS message if it bit me on the butt. I do react badly to being preached a
D. A.
MEMORY is one of those books you either love or you hate. Well, let me revise that. Love, like, or hate.

I liked this book. It reminded me a good deal about DUNE (which if you haven't read yet, you should). It has a strange culture, one that mixes old school tech--like horse-back riding and actually walking from place to place and swords and arrows--with cool new tech--clearly illustrated by the Oversoul's mental blocking and Issib's flotation devices.

Card draws up a fascinating group of people,
Annette
This is the first of an older series of Card's I'd somehow never picked up. Based on ease of acquisition - either from the library or the used bookstores - I assumed that it wasn't very popular among his fans, and may not be very good.
I was pleasantly surprised. It's a perfectly decent, solid start to what looks like it'll be an interesting series.
Many of the classic Card elements are present: dangerously intelligent children, wildly dysfunctional family and sibling relationships, incredible m
Scott Marlowe
So I'd never read anything by Orson Scott Card before. Of course I had heard of him and seen his books all over, but he was just one of those authors I never quite got around to reading. While that misstep has now been corrected, I had to put down The Memory of Earth.

I fully intended to read the book front to back, but something had been nagging me almost since the beginning. Given that I was a newcomer to Card's work, I was keeping an open mind and had no idea what to expect except that he's a
Jason
Fans of ENDER'S GAME--BEWARE! This is not on par with that novel in any way. Personally, I can't believe how many of the novels within this series I've read when I realize I should have ended with this one. To me, this novel felt like it was one of Card's many forgotten manuscripts, written while he was a writer honing his craft, left at the bottom of a desks drawer in a beat up manila folder to gather dust. Then, when the Ender novels garnered much appraisal & awards, Card's publisher must ...more
Peter
Decent sci-fi lacking some impact...: Orson Scott Card knows how to tell a story. This book is nothing more than the prologue for a five issue epic about our distant relatives on a distant planet in the distant future.

Card develops the characters nicely and the story never gets boring - it's an easy and enjoyable read. But it lacks the incredible imagination Card displayed in "Speaker for the dead", maybe because this time, there are no fascinating aliens present. Instead, we get a society proh

David
This is a fun story about a distant future, on a faraway planet. Mankind destroyed Earth 40 million years ago, and people settled on an earth-like planet. They set up an "Oversoul" that prevents people from militarizing, so as to prevent destruction of their adopted planet. The only problem is, the Oversoul is starting to wear down.

The characters are all well-developed, and much of the story hinges on the relationships between them. Interestingly, in their home city, only women are allowed to ow
Leslie
I picked up this book from the library not knowing anything about it. About a third of the way through, I was thinking, gosh, this story is familiar - and realized it is a retelling with a sci-fi twist of part of 1 Nephi in the Book of Mormon. I liked it and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series to see how Card handles the rest of the history, and to what extent he takes it.

I am re-reading 1 Nephi now, with a new perspective. It is more interesting to me than before because I am
Katie
This had shades of Asimov's Foundation series, mainly the parts that I liked without the parts I didn't. I felt connected to characters and sucked in to the interesting culture, loved the bits about how there were archaic sayings that had lost meaning and technology that had been lost this far out into humanity's future. Also getting a bit of a sense of the Biblical story of Joseph and his visions and having brothers who resent him. Definitely looking forward to reading more and have not felt le ...more
Mel Windham
The first I realized right off the bat was that this book was a retelling of the "Book of Mormon." Not the entertaining (and not-so-accurate) musical, but the actual book. Instead of Nephi, the main character is called Nafai. His brothers Laman, Lemuel, and Sam become Elemak, Mebbekew, and Issib. And instead of God leading the way, it's the Oversoul, a supercomputer that watches over humanity on the planet Harmony over the past forty million years.

At first I thought this was pretty cool and a ne
Tricia
If you’ve never read Orson Scott Card before, I wouldn’t start here. Having read all of the Shadow books currently published, the Enders Saga, and the Formic War novels I was already a huge Card fan. I loved the writing in this novel, as usual; Orson brings to life a whole new world and incredibly in-depth characters.

That being said, this novel felt a tad “preachy” to me, and dragged in certain spots as much as an Orson Scott Card book can. I loved the hierarchy of women and wish it had been ex
Matthew
The 45 million years reminded me that this guy is a crazy Mormon who believes Jesus came to America and gave them magic underpants. Or something like that.

But for the most part, this wasn't a badly composed allegory on religion and it didn't feel overly preachy or forcing conclusions. The main character is rather skeptical and realist. The story was much more about human nature than about the existence of God and I plan to continue to read the saga.
Celeste Batchelor
I'm not sure how to rate this book. I'm a bit disturbed that an author has taken a story like this one from scripture and retold it in a way that includes bad language, harsh treatment of truths, and talks of sex and love in such a way. My dislike of Orson Scott Card has continued to grow as I spend more time learning from the classics. While he is good at story telling, he twists things in just such a way to be repulsive.
Martyn Lovell
The Memory of Earth is the first part of a 5-book series set in a far future human colony whose technical systems are starting to break down, causing unrest.

The world created for the book is interesting and unusual - the society has complex family, personal and religious systems. These are well-described, without excessive depth or detail, but nonetheless revealing through the story how the societal differences impact the day to day lives of the participants.

The main characters are well-drawn an
Jennifer Busch
Orson Scott Card is a very creative science fiction and fantasy writer! This book (series) is a great look into the philosophy of life on other planets and the possibility of higher intelligences. The last books in the series introduce new characters that are not a likeable as the earlier books and the storyline suffers because of it.
He de reconèixer que aquest llibre m'ha sorprès, i molt. I ho ha fet en positiu.

Havia llegit el joc d'Ender i el record que en tenia és que no m'havia acabat de convèncer, així que em feia una mica de por començar un llibre del mateix autor. Però no, el llibre m'ha encantat.

Si li hagués de posar un però seria la violència dels germans grans d'en Nafai contra ell. D'acord, els personatges són així, però potser no calia...

La idea del llibre és molt bona: l'acció té lloc a "Armonía", un planeta
Tess
The setup for this book sounded so interesting, but it so did not live up to my expectations. All the way through, I kept thinking that it sounded like some bible story rewritten as sci-fi. Surprise! I just learned from other reviewers that this is a kind of retelling from the book of Mormon.

It has the usual thoughtful dialogue I've come to expect in an Orson Scott Card novel, along with some of his other more common elements: protagonist coming of age, crappy siblings, lots of philosophical mu
Kent Winward
The Memory of Earth left me wondering if it is blasphemous for a Mormon to compare God to a computer? The re-telling of the Book of Mormon as science fiction works to create a sense of familiarity, which anyone who knows the Old Testament (let alone the Book of Mormon) will feel as they read the book. The most interesting aspect of this book for me, wasn't the story or the characters, but musing throughout on archetypal story-lines and the moral questions raised and answered by scripture/fiction ...more
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Four brother and hate each other for some unexplained and non-existant reason bicker non-stop while trying to to carry out the dictates of a robot that was built to protect humanity from it's evil and war like side. The robot should have started by choosing characters that did not fight with each other non-stop like spoiled 5 year olds.

This story has a folk tale like feel to it as well which really makes it suck, because sci-fi and folk tale just don't work for me at all.

It did have some cool
Angie
It took me a while to get over the weirdness of reading a fictional book based on the Book of Mormon. Once I got past that, though, I was able to enjoy the story. Orson Scott Card's books are some of the only sci-fi books I really like, and this one is pretty good, too, though not as good as Ender's Game, of course.

The best thing about this book is the characters. Card does a great job of bringing them to life. Elemak and Nafai in particular were very believable with both their irritating qualit
Mark Hanson
A different premise in that our future descendants inhabit another planet due to our poor mismanaging of this one. A computer has been setup to guide the people to avoid the same path on this one. Some short but detailed descriptions of physical relationships. Very little language. The story is engaging those some of the character interactions seem a little weak. The main plot moves by the use of dreams from the computer to the people. While at times a handicap, it works. Definitely seems to rai ...more
Christie
Kind of amusing, out of the four books I got from the library, this was the one I was dreading reading them most, and it actually turned out to be the second best of the bunch. My eyes completely glazed over as I read the inner cover, and the book cover is doing it no favors, either. But it really was an interesting read, despite the horrible names given to characters and some descriptions of their sexual culture that almost made me put it down (nothing explicit, but kind of strange).

This is the
Book of Mormon 3 51 Jun 10, 2014 06:05AM
  • Across the Sea of Suns (Galactic Center, #2)
  • The Practice Effect
  • Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show
  • Eternity's End (Star Rigger, #6)
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
  • Eye
  • The Ring of Charon (The Hunted Earth, #1)
  • The Nonborn King (Saga of the Pliocene Exile, #3)
  • Heechee Rendezvous (Heechee Saga, #3)
  • The Positronic Man (Robot, #0.6)
  • Pegasus in Space (The Talent, #3)
  • The Battle of Corrin (Legends of Dune, #3)
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
More about Orson Scott Card...
Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #2) Ender's Shadow (Ender's Shadow, #1) Xenocide (The Ender Quintet, #3) Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet, #4)

“That's what Father and Mother are, thought Nafai. They stay together, not because of any gain, but because of the gift. Father doesn't stay with Mother because she is good for him, but rather because together they can do good for us, and for many others.” 2 likes
“He splashed into the water, his whole body, not with the reverent attitude of prayer, but with a desperate thirst; he buried his head under the water and drank deep, with his cheek against the cold stone of the riverbed, the water tumbling over his back, his calves. He drank and drank, lifted his head and shoulders above the water to gasp in the evening air, and then collapsed into the water again, to drink as greedily as before.

It was a kind of prayer, though, he realized as he emerged, freezing cold as the water evaporated from his skin in the breeze of the dark morning.

I am with you, he said to the Oversoul. I'll do whatever you ask, because I long for you to accomplish your purpose here.”
1 likes