In the Pines

In the Pines

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A bold and strikingly original new work from one of America's greatest living poets

Alice Notley is considered by many to be among the most outstanding of living American poets. Notley's work has always been highly narrative, and her new book mixes short lyrics with long, expansive lines of poetry that often take the form of prose sentences, in an effort "to change writing...more
Published October 2nd 2007 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2007)

CA
TO ANYONE WHO WOULD GIVE THIS BOOK LESS THAN 3 STARS if you die before me I promise to use your graves as a toilet for no less than 108 days! The latest issue of Rain Taxi has an abhorrent review calling Alice Notley an Hysteric Poet, making my heart heavy with the metal of anger.

This book has the courage to create a NEW TEMPLATE for the poems of grief.

Anyone who DOES NOT understand that, anyone who dismisses this, well, you bastards don't deserve poetry at all then as far as I'm concerned. Why...more
The long opening poem, "In the Pines," is probably the greatest thing I've read in years. It's marvelous. It has everything. It is the Instruction Manual for the new consciousness of the poem. I recommend reading it in one sitting, and then reading it again. And then again.
Paula
See my review published originally in American Book Review's Line on Line on-line reviews: http://americanbookreview.org/PDF/Lin...

I've just reread In the Pines in conjunction with a poetry project I'm enmeshed/embroiled/mired in and discovered that I almost totally missed the importance of American song, i.e. country, folk, blues to these poems the first time I read (and reviewed) the collection (duh! as if the title, brought to my attention by Steve Harris, weren't a clue). Definitely holds up...more
Molly
Jun 10, 2012 Molly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poems
When your baby's on the cooling board. (14)

I almost admire the symmetries of your biological story. (30)

I'm trying to fix your illness now, you know. Says the man. I'm trying to fix your defect. / It may be what I love now, I say. (50)

I have a necklace of bloody teeth for this cure. Teeth of many martyrs; the stars above the barren town. (53)

You do not have a light / to shine on me. I have it. (112)

Poetry / can justify you too. (117)

Many people whose tastes and brains I admire love Alice Notley'...more
cristiana
"Don't destroy time because then we can't have evolution. We can't have the mind-body problem."

"I'm the new species, the girl says."

"As for the body. As you called it."

named after an old blues song from the southern appalachians, alice notley's latest book haunts. she interweaves narratives in an elusively rich language, with each "section" of the book performed in/as different forms. she names memories (several poems are about her first husband, ted berrigan), with narratives speaking of specif...more
Corey
Jun 05, 2014 Corey marked it as to-read
"Volumes of poetry by Alice Notley are the great novels of our time."- Ariana Reines

I would disagree and say that great novels are the great novels of our time, but the above quote is enough to have me intrigued, anyway.
Kristensilvermoore
Jun 03, 2010 Kristensilvermoore is currently reading it
Shelves: poetry
I read 1/3 of this book but had to return it to the library before I had finished it. My husband bought me a copy at a book sale a few months ago, and I've decided to pick it up again, starting from the beginning. I was loving the richness of language and imagery when I first picked it up, and so I'm looking forward to starting to read it again. I think Notley is creating truly original, breathtaking work.
Richard
I have no idea what Alice Notley is writing about. I see this book gets high marks from other readers, but it's incomprehensible to me. I'll keep it nearby and try again, but not with high-hopes. If anybody out there would like to explain this book to me, I'd be more than happy to pay attention.
Cherie
Not for me--while Alice Notley is heralded for her poetry, and I appreciate how marvelously and brilliantly she works with words, she just doesn't speak to me. I admire this book with how she writes poetry in a prose-like form.
Gary
Best book I read all year; her reading of sections 13/14 of the title poem at the Vermont Studio Center in March 2008 was about as good as it gets. Better, actually. Never to be forgotten.

Caroline
Spooky, disassociated, disembodied, re-embodied voices, peppered occasionally with song lyrics. A couple sections in "The Black Trailor" lost my attention, but overall I totally loved this.
Cayden
This is perhaps one of the greatest books of poetry to be published this decade.
Renee
Insert noir quote here from one of the sections called The Black Trailor.
Melissa
I appreciate Notley's project as a poet, but I didn't enjoy this book at all.
Carrie
I like how no one else could've written this and that since she could, she did.
Luis Correa
Demands a second read. The title poem was marvelous, if baffling.
evan
i too prefer dylan's recent work. i just feel spooky like that.
Lee
I'll have to let this one sit for a while before I review.
Blueberry
i got tired sometimes, but always got rejuvenated.
John
The best, and she keeps getting better ...
Lucas
brilliant and suffocating.
Meg
Jun 14, 2008 Meg marked it as bought
thank you, ron.
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
M. L.
M. L. marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Ching-In
Ching-In marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Zach Vesper
Zach Vesper is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
  • The Battlefield Where the Moon Says I Love You
  • My Emily Dickinson
  • The Lost Lunar Baedeker: Poems of Mina Loy
  • Return to the City of White Donkeys
The Descent of Alette Mysteries of Small Houses Grave of Light: New and Selected Poems, 1970-2005 Disobedience Alma, or The Dead Women

“Who do you serve? Do you serve somebody?
I serve the poem, no one.”
3 likes