Start by marking “In the Pines” as Want to Read:
In the Pines

In the Pines

A bold and strikingly original new work from one of America's greatest living poets

Alice Notley is considered by many to be among the most outstanding of living American poets. Notley's work has always been highly narrative, and her new book mixes short lyrics with long, expansive lines of poetry that often take the form of prose sentences, in an effort "to change writin
Published October 2nd 2007 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about In the Pines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Pines

CA
Aug 14, 2009 CA rated it it was amazing
TO ANYONE WHO WOULD GIVE THIS BOOK LESS THAN 3 STARS if you die before me I promise to use your graves as a toilet for no less than 108 days! The latest issue of Rain Taxi has an abhorrent review calling Alice Notley an Hysteric Poet, making my heart heavy with the metal of anger.

This book has the courage to create a NEW TEMPLATE for the poems of grief.

Anyone who DOES NOT understand that, anyone who dismisses this, well, you bastards don't deserve poetry at all then as far as I'm concerned. Why
Jan 17, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
The long opening poem, "In the Pines," is probably the greatest thing I've read in years. It's marvelous. It has everything. It is the Instruction Manual for the new consciousness of the poem. I recommend reading it in one sitting, and then reading it again. And then again.
Paula
Jan 26, 2010 Paula rated it it was amazing
See my review published originally in American Book Review's Line on Line on-line reviews: http://americanbookreview.org/PDF/Lin...

I've just reread In the Pines in conjunction with a poetry project I'm enmeshed/embroiled/mired in and discovered that I almost totally missed the importance of American song, i.e. country, folk, blues to these poems the first time I read (and reviewed) the collection (duh! as if the title, brought to my attention by Steve Harris, weren't a clue). Definitely holds up
Molly
Jun 10, 2012 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: poems
When your baby's on the cooling board. (14)

I almost admire the symmetries of your biological story. (30)

I'm trying to fix your illness now, you know. Says the man. I'm trying to fix your defect. / It may be what I love now, I say. (50)

I have a necklace of bloody teeth for this cure. Teeth of many martyrs; the stars above the barren town. (53)

You do not have a light / to shine on me. I have it. (112)

Poetry / can justify you too. (117)

Many people whose tastes and brains I admire love Alice Notley'
Corey
Jun 05, 2014 Corey marked it as to-read
"Volumes of poetry by Alice Notley are the great novels of our time."- Ariana Reines

I would disagree and say that great novels are the great novels of our time, but the above quote is enough to have me intrigued, anyway.
Maddy
Jan 15, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
4.5 for the whole thing, 5 for the first part
cristiana
Nov 08, 2007 cristiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Don't destroy time because then we can't have evolution. We can't have the mind-body problem."

"I'm the new species, the girl says."

"As for the body. As you called it."

named after an old blues song from the southern appalachians, alice notley's latest book haunts. she interweaves narratives in an elusively rich language, with each "section" of the book performed in/as different forms. she names memories (several poems are about her first husband, ted berrigan), with narratives speaking of specif
Kristensilvermoore
Jun 03, 2010 Kristensilvermoore is currently reading it
Shelves: poetry
I read 1/3 of this book but had to return it to the library before I had finished it. My husband bought me a copy at a book sale a few months ago, and I've decided to pick it up again, starting from the beginning. I was loving the richness of language and imagery when I first picked it up, and so I'm looking forward to starting to read it again. I think Notley is creating truly original, breathtaking work.
Cherie
Jan 10, 2008 Cherie rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, poetry
Not for me--while Alice Notley is heralded for her poetry, and I appreciate how marvelously and brilliantly she works with words, she just doesn't speak to me. I admire this book with how she writes poetry in a prose-like form.
Richard
I have no idea what Alice Notley is writing about. I see this book gets high marks from other readers, but it's incomprehensible to me. I'll keep it nearby and try again, but not with high-hopes. If anybody out there would like to explain this book to me, I'd be more than happy to pay attention.
Melissa
May 11, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Body and medicine and access and voice and song and time. She's never going to go easy on you, and it's always worth it.
Gary
Jan 28, 2009 Gary rated it it was amazing
Best book I read all year; her reading of sections 13/14 of the title poem at the Vermont Studio Center in March 2008 was about as good as it gets. Better, actually. Never to be forgotten.

Caroline
Feb 04, 2009 Caroline rated it really liked it
Spooky, disassociated, disembodied, re-embodied voices, peppered occasionally with song lyrics. A couple sections in "The Black Trailor" lost my attention, but overall I totally loved this.
Dusie Press
Dusie Press rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2007
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2012
Jessica Galbraith
Jessica Galbraith rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2008
Trevor
Trevor rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2008
metaphor
Aug 29, 2016 metaphor rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, alice-notley
I am tortured by my heart which they say is my mind. I don’t care about those two words.
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2013
Luis Correa
Jan 08, 2013 Luis Correa rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Demands a second read. The title poem was marvelous, if baffling.
Nazareth
Nazareth rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2008
Elanor
Elanor rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Stefanie Smulders
Stefanie Smulders rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2011
Roxanna Bennett
Roxanna Bennett rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2016
Feylicia
Feylicia rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2013
Nate Slawson
Nate Slawson rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2009
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2007
  • The Collected Books
  • This Connection of Everyone With Lungs
  • Next Life
  • The Trees The Trees
Alice Notley (born 8 November 1945) is an American poet.

(from Wikipedia)
More about Alice Notley...

“Who do you serve? Do you serve somebody?
I serve the poem, no one.”
8 likes
“Jack of diamonds is a hard card, why should there be a story? It’s too hard a card to please, and it isn’t the no earth I know. I got hepatitis C from shooting speed thirty-three years ago.” 2 likes