Start by marking “I Am My Mother's Daughter: Making Peace with Mom--Before It's Too Late” as Want to Read:
I Am My Mother's Daughter: Making Peace with Mom--Before It's Too Late

I Am My Mother's Daughter: Making Peace with Mom--Before It's Too Late

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Inspiration and advice for grown-up daughters on making peace with Mom while thereOCOs still time-from the bestselling author of "Surrendering to Marriage""
Published May 14th 2014 by Not Avail (first published April 10th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about I Am My Mother's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am My Mother's Daughter

May
Jul 19, 2012 May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the beginning of the book I found the case histories too simplistic. It seemed the women were painting their mothers as either all good or all bad. The further I read, the more complex and interesting the women's assessments of their mothers became. As the dimension of the mothers deepened they became more sympathetic characters making the book more enjoyable and helpful.
Monica
Jan 05, 2012 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I got what I needed out of it. " So more and more, I let my mother "be," as the Buddhists tell us to do; I flow with the currents of the river instead of flailing against them. She will not change. The only change I have the power to control, I am realizing, is how I react to her." (p.3)This will stick with me for sure. I also thought this was really good, "No mother is the Great Goddess who is always good. Each of us is just an ordinary woman who tries to be as good as she can be." -Psy ...more
Tami
Jun 28, 2012 Tami rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author intertwines her relationship with her mom with dozens of others. What she's learned and observed from her friends and acquaintances. I didn't particularly care for this style of writing. It is easy to read but for some reason, something was missing for me.

Reading about other women's crazy relationships with their mothers didn't make me feel any better about my own or what I can do to improve it. I totally agree that we need to make peace and forgive one another but I already knew that
Lisa
May 24, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
A very informative book,not crazy about the format
Fay Bee
Nov 08, 2012 Fay Bee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a how-to book, there are no instructions. Instead there are stories from daughters mainly in their 50s who have had some sort of turbulent relationship with their mothers since the beginning. Their stories are mostly about last minute reconciliations, but not all of them are fully successful, they just soften the hard edges "before it's too late".
There are ordinary women in here but some with famous or high profile mothers. The common theme seems to be that the mothers themselves we
Kate Woods Walker
Jun 05, 2011 Kate Woods Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book deserves a place alongside My Mother, My Self by Nancy Friday, (one of several books the author cites, by the way), as a must-have for any daughter in a conflicted relationship with her mother. And after all, that's most of us, isn't it?

There's no mistaking where Iris Krasnow is heading. With a subtitle like Making Peace With Mom Before It's Too Late, there can be little doubt. But she gets to her often-tearjerking, unabashedly sentimental conclusions with fine writing, sensitive inter
Kirstin
Apr 05, 2012 Kirstin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read her book, Surrendering to Motherhood, and really liked her writing style and journalistic way of interviewing a broad spectrum of daughters. So, when I came across this book, I was intrigued. The question that resonated with me is, "What would you tell your mother if you could tell her anything? Why wait?" Considering there's a good chance of my mom living into her 90's(as did her parents), and maybe longer, we still have another 15+ years together here on earth. What will that look like? ...more
Jill
Nov 13, 2008 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all mothers and daughters
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is useful for anyone who has any issues with their mother -- whether your mother is actually abusive or neglectful in some way, or whether she's overall a good woman who just manages to frequently push your buttons (like mine!). Iris Krasnow emphasizes the importance of accepting your mother for who she is and living in the present so that you don't hold on to self-destructive anger and/or blame. This book is a reminder that we are all products of our mothers, who in turn are all produ ...more
Edbdme2
Aug 17, 2008 Edbdme2 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book discusses the mothers of several women with various backgrounds. Each has a different relationship with their mother and some were able to reconcile with the mothers before their death. Others were able to understand the reasons or the life of their mother and learned to forgive, if not forget. Very interesting and makes one really see what made their mothers what they were.
Stacey Lynn
This book was very insightful with stories coming from women of all different situations. If I got anything from this book, it is the idea of learning to accept people as they are, learn to let go, forgive, and to hold our living loved ones dear. Its the greatest gift you can give yourself.
Heather
Jul 12, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just started this book. My mother is going to be 76 in May, and I've made a lot of headway in our relationship over the past few years. This book is reflective of many things I've aleady learned, but it is adding so much more. What a blessing.
Vanessa Zagari
Oct 05, 2007 Vanessa Zagari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any daughter
This was a very insightful book and really makes you think about your relationship with your mother. It also makes you think about the future when your mother is no longer here. Some women shared some very touching stories.
Serena
Mar 21, 2008 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Promotes a lot of reflection and soul-searching.
Although I don't agree with everything she said, I appreciated her insights and opinions on the mother-daughter relationship and how it can be improved.
Suzanne M.
Reading about several other women's mother-daughter relationship was very helpful to me. I helped me put my situation into perspective and be grateful.
Jenna
Aug 01, 2011 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended to any woman with a mother. Seriously, that broad. I've considered lending out my copy, but am afraid I won't get it back.
Lori
Yeah, yeah. I get it, but hearing these women's stories didn't exactly motivate me. Not sure I'll get to a place of acceptance and love.
Susannah
considering the fact that i wept through most of this book, i would say it was what i needed to read.
Leila T.
Mar 06, 2011 Leila T. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Clarice
Jul 27, 2014 Clarice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
There's a poetry to her words sometimes that really speaks to me. But this book seemed to be a bit repetitive.
Deb Orndorff
Apr 08, 2015 Deb Orndorff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deep, emotional book. I still miss my mother & I sent a copy to a daughter who won't talk to me.
Syafina Hasan
Oct 08, 2015 Syafina Hasan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
What can I say? :')
Wendy
Apr 01, 2008 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a self-help type of book, but it ended up just being more of entertaining stories with no clue as to conflict resolution or how to deal with moms that mean well, but sometimes overstep their bounds or speak unkindly unintentionally. I was flabberghasted on how many stories focused on women who chose the path of lesbianism. I just couldn't really relate.
Jessica Green
This wasn't the book I'd wanted. I wanted something I could read along with my mother. I also would have preferred something more scholarly and less anecdotal (and less about mothers dying!). Oh well. It was interesting, I did learn things I need to know, and I found another mother-book through Krasnow's references that may be more to my liking.
Fanda Kutubuku
Apr 02, 2009 Fanda Kutubuku rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dalam terbitan Bahasa Indo-nya, judul berubah jadi: Whoever You Are, I Love U, Mom. Merangkum pengalaman 116 wanita menghadapi ibu mereka, bagaimana perjuangan mereka yang merasa disiksa oleh ibu mereka, berbalik mengasihi saat ibu mereka beranjak tua. Bagaimanapun, kasih antara ibu dan anak perempuan sangat kokoh.
Donna
Aug 25, 2008 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
I really enjoyed this book. It shows how mothers and daughters need to be there for each other and to embrace each day that we have together. I believe that I made peace and enjoyed all her last days with my own mom. All mothers and daughters should read this at some point in their life.
Jessica
Oct 09, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't actually finish this book. It was okay, but I got her point from the beginning and then got bored with the repetition. Basically, forgive your mom for not being perfect and accept her as she is. Could have been summed up in a paragraph instead of over and over again.
Mandi
Jun 14, 2011 Mandi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I couldn't bring myself to read the whole book. I gave up after just over 100 of the 160 pages. What I did get out of it was that my relationship with my mom is normal, not dysfunctional. It's just right.
Didi Rechele
Jan 14, 2014 Didi Rechele rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Guilt trip take the high road blah blah babble babble - didn't work for me and honestly I thought the case histories were ridiculous compared to my own and many others I know "real" abuse what a load
Lisa
Dec 23, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
every woman can connect to some part of this narrative., but especially the important lessons about the mother daughter bond and how life and relationships are to be cheri shed.
  • Drugs, Society, and Human Behavior
  • Never in Anger: Portrait of an Eskimo Family
  • The First Man-Made Man: The Story of Two Sex Changes, One Love Affair, and a Twentieth-Century Medical Revolution
  • Musings of a 20-Something Mom, and the Perils of being a Mommy Blogger
  • Learn to Relax: A Practical Guide to Easing Tension and Conquering Stress
  • The Lazy Couponer: How to Save $25,000 Per Year in Just 45 Minutes Per Week with No Stockpiling, No Item Tracking, and No Sales Chasing!
  • 100 Simple Secrets of Great Relationships: What Scientists Have Learned and How You Can Use It
  • This is US: The New All-American Family
  • Don't Wake Me at Doyles: The remarkable memoir of an ordinary Irish woman and her extraordinary life
  • It's All in Your Head: Thinking Your Way to Happiness
  • Please Tell Me I'm On Mute
  • Dating the Wrong Men
  • A Piece of Blue Sky: Scientology, Dianetics, and L. Ron Hubbard Exposed
  • Sivananda Companion to Yoga
Iris Krasnow was born and raised in Oak Park, Illinois. A graduate of Stanford University, she became the fashion writer for the Dallas Times Herald, then moved to United Press International in Washington, D.C. for the position of national feature writer. In her several years at UPI, Krasnow specialized in lifestyle stories and celebrity profiles, including Yoko Ono, Billy Graham, Ted Kennedy, Eli ...more
More about Iris Krasnow...