Start by marking “What Child Is This? (Crossing Borders, #2)” as Want to Read:
What Child Is This? (Crossing Borders, #2)

What Child Is This? (Crossing Borders #2)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  650 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Michael and Tristan are finally taking that much needed weekend away for Christmas. They’ve been working so hard at their respective careers there hasn’t been time for a breather, much less a chance to reconnect and see if they’ve been working toward what they both want.

Like always, Michael’s well-laid plan is derailed by a phone call from Apple House. Three of their charg
Published December 21st 2010 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about What Child Is This?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Child Is This?

Sock it to Me, Santa! by Madison  ParkerThe Christmas Throwaway by R.J. ScottThe Winter Courtship Rituals of Fur-Bearing Critters by Amy LaneBlame It on the Mistletoe by Eli EastonHis For The Holidays by Josh Lanyon
Christmas/Summer/Holiday Gay Romance
56th out of 123 books — 95 voters
Hot Head by Damon SuedePromises by Marie SextonCrossing Borders by Z.A. MaxfieldZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFaith & Fidelity by Tere Michaels
Gay Uniforms
94th out of 238 books — 110 voters

More lists with this book...

Debra
This short provided a nice little peek into Michael and Tristan's life, catching up with them around the time of the Epilogue in Crossing Borders. Michael has arranged a romantic Christmas getaway for him and Tristan to reconnect without the pressures of work and school obligations. The two still have great chemistry and there is one incredibly romantic moment between them at the hotel.

There is a sub-story about some of the teens of Apple House, the home for LGBT teens that Michael runs, that wa
¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧ •°**★

Honestly, I like it ONLY because of Tristen and Micheal.

Ooh, and Ron too.

Gosh, I wish Ron had his very own MM book.

But, nonetheless, I loved Tristen and Micheal in this book. They were adorable and that elevator scene was cute and sizzling.

In this book ZAM added new character's, Jack and Prim. They were sweet and adorable but, IMO they gave this book a YA feel, so I skimmed them. Because, I could not even get into their world....and I did try. I will just blame this fail on the fact that I am
Tara
I always like ZA Maxfield and I enjoyed Crossing Borders. This story is really like 2 short Christmas stories woven together. First there is the continuing story of Officer Helmet (michael) and Sparky (Tristan). Last we saw they were running a shelter called Apple house, and Tristan was teaching and going to school and helping at Apple house. Their part of the story is really just a check in of sort with them. About where they are and where they hope to be going, it was nice to follow up with th ...more
Jerry
I had just finished Crossing Borders for the second time and was so glad I could just pop over to Amazon and buy this sequel.
I loved that Michael and Tristan had matured in their relationship. I loved the premise of getting away for a few days. The interplay of the story of Michael and Tristan with the new characters of Jack and Prim worked out well for me. All in all a nice way of catching up with Tristan and Michael and setting them up for another (hopefully longer!) sequel as well as an altog
Nic
Jan 03, 2013 Nic rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm, series
I read this too long after the first book (Crossing Borders) and with too many other books in between so had forgotten the details of Michael and Tristan's story. It would have been better to read soon after or done a quick re-read. However this was a nice story providing insight into their relationship down the track with a secondary story for added interest.
Kinny
what was the point of this story.? It was too short to squeeze in other people. If Tristan and Michael adopted said baby maybe there would be purpose. It just shows Michael realizing he was taking Tristan for granted by putting work ahead of their quality time together.
Jackie
Tristan and Michael are so sweet to each other Awhhhh, and OMG dammm the chemistry between them is fabulously HOT!

The cover once again jacked!
Stacey Jo
Michael treats Tristan to a holiday getaway for the two of them to help them do some much needed reconnecting. While they are away, some of their kids back at Apple House get into a bit of trouble, causing them to have to cut their trip short. During all of the trouble, Tristan comes to some realizations about some things that he wants out of life that cause he and Michael to re-evaluate their relationship and the things that they want. There is also a small side story with a relationship with t ...more
Blackravens Reviews
Kathy’s Review:

In What Child Is This, Z.A. Maxfield revisits Michael Truax and Tristan Phillips two and a half years after she first introduced her readers to them in Crossing Borders. Our visit with Michael and Tristan is delightful but, in this reviewer’s opinion, too short!

Michael is now retired from the police force, and he runs Apple House, a shelter for homeless young adults. Tristan is working and attending college, and both men are more in love with one another than before. Michael surpr
Madison Parker
Although it was great to be with Tristan and Michael again, this book didn't live up to the original. It had none of the humor I so loved in Crossing Borders, nor did it have any texting!! Then again, Tristan and Michael were always in each other's presence, so I suppose texting wouldn't have made sense. Try as I did, I never really cared for Jack/Prim/Katy, so the story just seemed to drag on for me, with little adorable snippets of Tris & Mike sprinkled in between the Jack/Prim/Katy storyl ...more
Bev
An ordinary follow-up to an excellent book IMHO. I love the 'Crossing Borders' book, in fact I gave it 5 stars in my review, but I was quite disappointed with this effort. I didn't feel that Michael and Tris were in the story that much, I couldn't get into the Jack/Prim pairing at all I'm afraid. I've just re-read 'The Long Way Home', and would love a follow-up book for Kevin & Connor, providing of course that they were the main focus of the story.
SueM
I enjoyed catching up with Tristan and Michael a few years after Crossing Borders took place. Unfortunately for me, it's just left me wanting more, leaving me rather frustrated, really. It was good but ended up being less than truly satisfying as the future was hinted at, but nothing was acted upon. It's the problem, I guess, of a Christmas themed story as the amount of time is limited to a few days. Oh well, I can but hope....
Deeze
A sweet Christmassy story with some old favorites and some new characters.

Prims background broke my heart, and I would love to see how his and Jacks story played out.

Michael and Tristan, while still great, never quite had the same spark as in crossing boarders for me. But I would sure love to read the next chapter in their life.
Wendy Ann
This was kind of like getting two presents in one – a continuation of Michal and Tristan as well as a new romance in Prim and Jack. The only thing that would have made this perfect is if (view spoiler)! Heartwarming and a lovely follow up to “Crossing Borders”.
Dionne
Jun 08, 2013 Dionne rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m, lent
As much as I wanted to read more about Michael and Tristan, I didn't care for this story. The focus was too much on a secondary story line that didn't do much for the book in my opinion. After reading this, I went back and reread Crossing Borders again to get my Michael and Tristan fix.
Penny
Three stars. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I felt as though the story was fragmented and the pacing seemed off. That said I enjoyed the revisiting of Tristen and Michael. I'll reread it again after the hectic holidays and see if my feelings change.
Kate McMurray
A wonderful follow up to Crossing Borders, though I wish there'd been more of it. That's really my only complaint; Tristan and Michael are great characters, and the kids from Apple House were also characters I would have liked to have spent more time with.
Beck
Didn't hook me as much as Crossing Borders. It was a nice re-visit but didn't have the WOW factor.
Kaje Harper
3.5 stars. A nice look at two of my favorite characters, far enough down the road to get a feel for how their lives are working out. I wanted more... maybe someday please?
Chris
Good holiday m/m romance about how getting away from it all for a relaxing holiday weekend doesn't always turn out as one might hope.
Virginia
Would rather the focus been all on Michael and Tristain but I will take it :)
Jessica
a good book but i prefer the first one
Calila
Loved getting to see "Sparky" and "Officer Helmet" again! They are still one of my favorite couples. Also love that they both still make mistakes, but work through it. It's easy to get comfortable and take a person for granted, a relationship is work. Cared a little less about the Prim/Jack/Chucho(and Kate) aspect of the story, but they were all likeable enough. I think I like Jack the most. I'd love for ZAM to maybe revisit them someday and give them a fuller story. Just a nice X-mas read full ...more
Tam
Jan 24, 2011 Tam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
3.5 Stars

Le sigh, a Crossing Borders revist. Yay. Crossing Borders was one of my first ever m/m books and still a favourite. Anyway, it's a few years later and Michael decides that Tristan needs to get away and relax so makes arrangements for them to spend Christmas at a ritzy hotel alone and let Tristan surf and decompress. It's all going great until 3 of the kids from Apple House go missing. Parallel to the Tristan/Michael story is Prim and Jack, two residents at the house. They happen across
Susan
I enjoyed reading more about Michael and Tristan in this sequel to Crossing Borders. Michael has now left the police force and is a running a homeless shelter for young adults. At the start of the story he has arranged to take Tristan away over the Christmas period so the two of them can be alone together. Running alongside Michael and Tristan's story is the the tale of Prim and Jack, two residents of Michael's shelter. While they are out one night they discover an abandoned baby and Prim is rel ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
I really like the way Michael and Tristan have grown and matured since the time frame of the original story, Crossing Borders. In this story, which takes place over the Christmas holiday, Michael has arranged for a special long weekend away with the love of his life. It's perfect and romantic and far beyond what Tristan could ever have imagined. Unfortunately, Michael is called back to Apple House, the shelter he runs for homeless GLBT teens when some of his kids disappear.

It seems they've foun
Debbie
This is an official review from The Romance Reviews

In WHAT CHILD IS THIS, we once again meet Michael and Tristan from Crossing Borders. Michael was a police officer who met Tristan while he was on patrol. He had given him a couple of tickets for not wearing a helmet while skateboarding. Tristan has wavy red hair. So their names for one another are Officer Helmet and Sparky. While this might have been a short story, I truly loved it and had to finish it in one sitting. It was so great to visit w
Nikki
Enjoyable short holiday story about Michael and his "Sparky" from Crossing Borders. This takes place a few years on from Crossing Borders and Michael and Tristan have been working hard to establish their shelter for gay and lesbian kids.

The story centres around a mini-break that Michael has arranged to try and find time to re-connect with "Sparky" after a hectic few months, and it also introduces us to Prim and Jack, two of the shelter's "kids".

The story moves along nicely and it is nice to see
Shelby P
I was so excited when I realized there was a sequel to Crossing Borders. I hate it when authors spend so much time trying to give their characters a vacation to then only have that vacation interrupted. That irks me so much. Then I get to chapter 3 and I'm lost. Who the fuck are Prim, Jack, and Kate? At first I thought it was Tristan's siblings but they weren't. It's been a while since I read the first book so I didn't remember too much.

I was so thrown out of the story. I thought this was about
  • Hopes and Fears
  • His For The Holidays
  • Turkey in the Snow
  • Making His List
  • The Christmas Throwaway
  • A Present in Swaddling Clothes
  • Reindeer Games (Reindeer Games, #1)
  • Something for Santa
  • Love Ahead: Expect Delays
  • A Very D Christmas (Zero at the Bone, #1.4)
  • Breaking Logan's Laws (Quinn Security, #4)
  • The Soldier and the State Trooper (The Soldier and..., #1)
  • A Trouble Halved
  • A Summit City Christmas (Sno Ho, #2.5)
  • Paris A to Z (Coda Books, #5)
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • Tinsel and Frost
  • Ice Around the Edges

Crossing Borders (2 books)
  • Crossing Borders (Crossing Borders, #1)
Crossing Borders (Crossing Borders, #1) St. Nacho's (St. Nacho's #1) Drawn Together The Long Way Home Physical Therapy (St. Nacho's #2)

“I could lose my uterus and appendix today and miss my appendix more." - Kate” 5 likes